Page 59 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Unfortunately, voting is a right not a mandate. Pelosi also passed legislation that would automatically register everyone 18 and above and those when turning 18. You have to opt out to not be registered. This would help out. I would totally be in favor of mandatory voting. So are MPs elected individually or are paties voted for then MPs are selected?
    MPs are elected individually by ranked voting. It is a great system.

http://www.koalaland.com.au/single-p...deral-Election

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    A budget rule can be passed by Congress, and not require a constitutional amendment. However, a real hard rule would require some constitutional juggling. What kind of regulation were you thinking about for constitutional amendment?
    Fire Congress when they fail to do their job.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I don't think that would require a constitutional amendment, but I also think it would never actually get passed.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I don't think that would require a constitutional amendment, but I also think it would never actually get passed.
    Or a buncha people with flamethrowers. Just make them feel a little toasty, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    But how does that work when it's the president holding things up? I mean, if we just did a redo of the 2018 elections and had the same results we'd still be in this position.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    But how does that work when it's the president holding things up?
    It's technically not the president holding things up, it's Mitch McConnell holding things up because he refuses to go against the will of the president. But budgets are explicitly Congress's job, not the president's, so there's literally no reason at all they have to listen to him or do what he says.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    It's technically not the president holding things up, it's Mitch McConnell holding things up because he refuses to go against the will of the president. But budgets are explicitly Congress's job, not the president's, so there's literally no reason at all they have to listen to him or do what he says.
    There wasn't a reason until the President opened his mouth. He's the leader of the GOP. Until he gave the Senate their marching orders it was ready to pass the bi-partisan budget. Now the President is saying he will veto it without the 5.7 billion.

Mitch and the majority of the GOP in the Senate want to be viewed as the winners in the end. Which in a court of popular opinion most are by far blaming the Pres, then the Democrats, and somehow the GOP isn't getting it's share of the blame. I think they almost have enough GOP defectors that would let it pass in the Senate if Mitch allowed a vote. At this point there's still enough behind the Pres that it wouldn't be veto-proof though and that would make them look even more foolish.

Can't believe it's still going on--local parks are closing

How has there not been a revolt against the old turtle yet?

Where the fuck is he? Why are republicans not attempting to solve this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Why are republicans not attempting to solve this issue?
    I'm sure they are. But you try negotiating with a 5 year old, it's not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm sure they are. But you try negotiating with a 5 year old, it's not easy.
    No apparently Pence, the old turtle, and Jared (who has no place in government) thought a non-deal of doubling up on the court order was an appropriate offer to democrats.

There is no effort of negotiating between republicans and democrats in the senate.

Because they want Trump to fall but not upset his base that support him more than them. If Republicans cave in the Senate Trump will order his cult to turn on them...many of which including the Turtle himself are up for re-election in 2020.

I promise you the man who hates Trump in Washington right now doesn't have a (D) at the end of their name. Turtle must absolutely despise this man right now but has to play the game to protect his seats in the senate.
    Last edited by akris15; 2019-01-21 at 10:27 PM.

Because the Republicans do not govern. I thought that much was clear from every year they have been in power.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I mean if Trump doesn't run in 2020 for any reason, it is quite likely the GOP will find themselves missing a lot of votes anyhow.
    Politically it makes sense for the Turtle do this honestly. They have to assume unless the Mueller report is extremely damaging then Republican have to hitch themselves to Trump to survive the 2020 map. If its so damaging the Republicans have to backstab Trump (which they will and Trump won't see it coming) then the Senate/Presidency/House is lost anyways...this is what happens when you feed your base nothing but political red meat for 10 years, you have to continue to feed them or they will turn on you...

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    we're going to build a way through the center of the earth and make china pay for it.
    Underground moat filled with lava, and subterranean sharks that can swim in lava.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    Underground moat filled with lava, and subterranean sharks that can swim in lava.
    Just be careful of the pirates, and the sun beneath the sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Just be careful of the pirates, and the sun beneath the sea.
    Why worry about that when the earth is flat

I don't see why we need a wall, when we could just saw South America off, and let them fall off the turtle's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Why worry about that when the earth is flat

I don't see why we need a wall, when we could just saw South America off, and let them fall off the turtle's back.
    Because of the impending Morlock invasion, duh. The Morlocks are extremely dangerous, we need a subterranean wall to stop the threat to humanity.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4874469/u...p-border-wall/

The record-long U.S. government shutdown, that is now in week five, could soon end up costing the economy more than the $5.7 billion that U.S. President Donald Trump is demanding for his border wall, according to one report.

The partial government shutdown started on Dec. 22, and if it continues to Friday, then S&P Global Ratings (a financial rating agency) predicts it will cost the economy $6 billion.
    So we're to the point now where the government shutdown will have cost the US economy more than the price of the wall. Just so folks realize that for once, it's not purely about the money for Trump. He doesn't care how much it costs the US economy, government, or taxpayers, he wants his monument to his own racism, xenophobia, and insecurity.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.newsweek.com/shutdown-la...r-wall-1300775

“We get that this is unfair to you, but this is so much bigger than any one person. It is a little bit of pain, but it’s going to be for the future of our country and their children and their grandchildren and generations after that will thank them for their sacrifice right now,” said Trump.
    Going without a paycheck, possibly two paychecks, while being forced to work (or not attend work) and being advised to have yard sales, trade services for rent, or use safety net programs like SNAP is "a little bit of pain" according to Trump's daughter-in-law and person who somehow managed to be as repulsive and disgusting as all the full blooded members of the Trump tribe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the worst thing about this shutdown is people blaming the Federal Workers for it. Naturally those same people are also blaming this shutdown on the Democrats.

Apparently your local TSA Agents should have prepared for not getting paid because the Democrats won't hand President Tiny Hands a $5.7 billion check. If only they'll just give him what he wants....

This is the madness we live in.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)