Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    If a show has to be better than its first 2 seasons for you to even consider watching it, you probably shouldn't bother, and try to identify what it is about the genre you dislike to make it easier to avoid in the future.
    that is a pretty dumb logic.. considering that this guy pretty much said that he liked s1 and just didnt like s2.. by your logic there is no way in hell that a tv show that changes pretty much completely every season(besides it still being a detective) can significantly change from season to season in terms of quality
    Last edited by Craaazyyy; 2019-01-17 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The main actor, Maharsha Ali, was Diamondback for the first half of s1 of Luke Cage, who was easily the best villain in that show, and probably one of the best villains of Marvel's Netflix universe. He then went on to win an Oscar for Moonlight.

Everyone else is pretty much not known. Some of them are obscure character actors, some are first timers.

Edit: Ali is also in a movie that's currently out, Green Book, which is getting lots of Oscar buzz.
    He was Cottonmouth not Diamonback

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Solid performance from Mahershala Ali and the cast, I like this season so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    that is a pretty dumb logic.. considering that this guy pretty much said that he liked s1 and just didnt like s2.. by your logic there is no way in hell that a tv show that changes pretty much completely every season(besides it still being a detective) can significantly change from season to season in terms of quality
    I agree that its dumb logic, but its even dumber logic to keep watching a series you dislike expecting it to somehow shift genres. Different strokes for different folks. I liked the actors in season 1 better, but I liked the story in season 2 better. I don't get what the vague/generalized hate for season 2 is, but if people didn't like the first 2 entries in *any* franchise, why would you recommend wasting time on the third ?

And yes, even if he says he "liked" the first season, demanding that later seasons be better to even bother watching it speaks volumes to the contrary.

- - - Updated - - -

The main actor, Maharsha Ali, was Diamondback for the first half of s1 of Luke Cage, who was easily the best villain in that show, and probably one of the best villains of Marvel's Netflix universe. He then went on to win an Oscar for Moonlight.
    Heh, Luke Cage was the only one of the first round of Defenders I never got around to watching...

Can't wait to dig into this, just need to set aside some time for it.

Last night was more of a plot builder/filler episode. Not bad, but not exciting. I understand plot is necessary, before people nerd rage on me.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Very nice episode 3 as well, but 3 timelines is kinda off-putting for me, I like 2 better. Like, I didn't get what that fight was even about between him and his wife.

But good episode nonetheless.

So far this is making up for the sins of S2. Really enjoying it and the time shifts they're going through.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    Very nice episode 3 as well, but 3 timelines is kinda off-putting for me, I like 2 better. Like, I didn't get what that fight was even about between him and his wife.
    My take is that at the point that the fight happens, he has been off the case,, but having not solved it and suddenly finding out about the fingerprints brings it back to him in a way he doesn't want. Her making progress on it, and profiting from it via a book, is wearing on him also.. he just wants to find a way past it, and live a normal life, and he / his wife touch on this when they're sitting in the car outside the Walgreens as well IIRC.

Im enjoying it but they love making the show damn confusing with timelines.

Like the emotional impact of the end of episode 3 fell completely flat because I didnt even know we had a timeline where he got kicked off the case and needed to be brought on.

Why cant they just focus on the murder mystery and the characters without all the timezone crap

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    So far this is making up for the sins of S2. Really enjoying it and the time shifts they're going through.

- - - Updated - - -

My take is that at the point that the fight happens, he has been off the case,, but having not solved it and suddenly finding out about the fingerprints brings it back to him in a way he doesn't want. Her making progress on it, and profiting from it via a book, is wearing on him also.. he just wants to find a way past it, and live a normal life, and he / his wife touch on this when they're sitting in the car outside the Walgreens as well IIRC.
    He also seems to have serious trauma from the case, which is triggered by his daughter disappearing for a couple minutes in Walmart. And he seems to resent how fun and exciting his wife thinks the case is. She wrote a book about it (which he refuses to read), she's going "undercover" to find out new things in the 1990 timeline from the cops, even going so far to dining and boozing and flirting with a cop for information, which she finds titillating - and he's just angry. He's a lone wolf, tracker, Vietnam vet type, and the case has him genuinely shooketh.

Is the one guy who got beat up supposed to be Native American? I can't tell if the guys who beat him up are doing it because he's some sort of trash picker who hangs around too much, or if they're suspicious of some guy who doesn't run in society much, or what.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I don't mind the 3 timelines. Alzheimer's is a hell of a disease, and the idea of this guy struggling to come to grips with a case which still isn't solved after a conviction and a re-opening 10 years later is a hell of a concept. They did the two timelines in s1, but the "present day timeline" was just the interviews with McConneghay and whatshisface. It's a bit complex, but I tihnk we're starting to see the reasons why - they're exposing the crime in the 1980 timeline, and we're slowing coming to see in the 1990 and 2015 timeline that everything they uncovered was, for some reason, unreported. And they implied in the very first episode that everyone had the general feeling that they locked up the wrong guy for the crime.

He also seems to have serious trauma from the case, which is triggered by his daughter disappearing for a couple minutes in Walmart. And he seems to resent how fun and exciting his wife thinks the case is. She wrote a book about it (which he refuses to read), she's going "undercover" to find out new things in the 1990 timeline from the cops, even going so far to dining and boozing and flirting with a cop for information, which she finds titillating - and he's just angry. He's a lone wolf, tracker, Vietnam vet type, and the case has him genuinely shooketh.

Is the one guy who got beat up supposed to be Native American? I can't tell if the guys who beat him up are doing it because he's some sort of trash picker who hangs around too much, or if they're suspicious of some guy who doesn't run in society much, or what.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I don't mind the 3 timelines. Alzheimer's is a hell of a disease, and the idea of this guy struggling to come to grips with a case which still isn't solved after a conviction and a re-opening 10 years later is a hell of a concept. They did the two timelines in s1, but the "present day timeline" was just the interviews with McConneghay and whatshisface. It's a bit complex, but I tihnk we're starting to see the reasons why - they're exposing the crime in the 1980 timeline, and we're slowing coming to see in the 1990 and 2015 timeline that everything they uncovered was, for some reason, unreported. And they implied in the very first episode that everyone had the general feeling that they locked up the wrong guy for the crime.
    Sorry for quoting all of it, on my phone. Yeah, the picker guy is definitely NA. That is probably why he said something about fight for "your" country as opposed to "our" country.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Good pick up, I didn't even realize he said "your country" as opposed to "our country."

It's clear now that Pizzolatto is a man with tricks and not much else. Some of the dialogue is fun, but the structure of the story is again back to being a blueprint like in season 1. I feel like I'm watching the True Detective version of The Force Awakens. Perhaps cutting between periods in time is the best way to tell a detective story, but I think it's the only trick Pizzolatto knows how to use. He's sort of like the Duffer Brothers. They decided to actually use all of their creative muscle and make the abhorrent Philadelphia episode in season two of Stranger Things, and we see that when they aren't exploiting 80's nostalgia their abilities as writers are pathetic. Pizzolatto is looking to be the same way with how awful season 2 of True Detective was. So now we are back to the same schematic for what he knows works, only this time he can't fool everyone. Season three might shape up well, but it's clear he can do nothing but follow the blueprint of past success.

Season has finally picked up especially end of epidsode 4 through to 6.

The story is starting to come together big time now.

Why did no one pick up on the phonecall from the girl saying "You cant help me you work for him" No one seemed to care at evidence suggesting someone in the force was a big player in the case. I know thats kind of the point he was making it difficult on purpose. But more people should have picked up the law enforcement link. It was super obvious before the victim confirmed it on the phone.

Getting some weird shit happening now though and not in a good way. Like the dad listening in and going rambo, come on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    It's clear now that Pizzolatto is a man with tricks and not much else.
    I've been saying this since episode S1E6.

Season 1 was carried by good performances and hints of cosmic horror that people latched onto, which turned out to be nothing more than window dressing for a fairly standard crime drama set in the deep south, of which there are many.

He lucked his way into something that people felt was compelling, but never intended for the compelling elements to be a focus of the series, and so allowed those elements to fall away, leaving something that was not at all compelling.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2019-02-13 at 06:30 AM.

I think the detectives killed the Purcell dad, after new evidence emerged that he's the one that did it, and only they knew about it, and there was no way to change the chief's story, with the indian guy being framed. once it was published... and that's their 'secret' together.

Next episode's preview shows that the security guy at the factory is involved, or actually is the one who did it. Most likely he aided someone big, thus he got this awesome job now.

Hoping this is not the whole story though...

Think I have the story figured out now, only missing links ive got is why the female reporter is so interested in the case/her link and the black man with a bad eye.

Pretty sure the girl and center of the story is a love child between lucy and Hoyt and hoyt was I assume getting blackmailed by lucy and that lead to things getting deadly. Thats why lucy/her cousin gets killed off. Thats why Lucy writes the letters telling Tom to stop looking for the kids because she already knows their fates and wants tom out of the picture and knows he isnt the dad anyway. And the boy was killed because he wasnt hoyt's kid and was caught in the wrong place/wrong time defending his sister.

Thats why Julie says Tom is pretending to be her dad in the phonecall.

It also explains the link where in the 2nd episode an old man was talking about a police officer that interviewed him about the kids before the police investigation. Hoyt was working as a police officer before he got his new job. This would have been him in the 80s timeline trying to cover his tracks.

Wayne clearly discovers the pink room and goes full vietnam on someone/ or on the people following him in the black sedan and thats why hes cagey on retelling the story because hes got serious dirt on himself.

Indian guy was made to the patsy in the first timeline, then Tom will be made to be the 2nd patsy and thats why the case is reopened a third time because it was always hoyt and his connections
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2019-02-14 at 06:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a waste of time this season was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

That was probably the least satisfying last episode in all of television ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Stark View Post
    Yea, I didn't care for the finale. I don't like it when they introduce someone in the last episode that was behind it all. The whole pedo ring from season 1 was a giant red herring.
    The entire season was a red herring. They should have just renamed the show to Misdirection detectives to reflect reality.

I successfully predicted everything up until the last episode. Was hoping it would reveal that Hoyt was one of the lower end leaders of the pedo ring, so they could have something to expand on with the next set of detectives.