Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    For me its not the same franchise anymore, Disney is now reselling our past in their own packaged formula. Best way to enjoy the new films is to just not think.

They'll use what they want if it benefits them and not the story.
    Wouldn’t using the same aliens even though it’s suppose to be a different part of space benefit them and not the story not the other way round?

They should have just mixed in some recognizable species, didn't even need to be a majority.
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    That’s not true though rather it be the old eu of the new canon anakin is very much a part of Vader. Mabye you could argue he put anakin away after his last try to get padama back in the new comics but he could very well be a core part past that and we just haven’t seen it yet.
    Yeah, a part of him, but not the same person. No Force-wielder starts of as part of the Dark Side. Their main persona has to undergo the change, even Palpatine had to succumb to his sociopathic characteristics to create his Dark Side identity, which was then dubbed Sidious and became the dominant persona.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle June Bug View Post
    Yeah, a part of him, but not the same person. No Force-wielder starts of as part of the Dark Side. Their main persona has to undergo the change, even Palpatine had to succumb to his sociopathic characteristics to create his Dark Side identity, which was then dubbed Sidious and became the dominant persona.
    I don't think that's true in the new or old cannon, maul for example never had a persona change he was always on the dark side of the force from when he first started using it.

I know where you are coming from OP, the other issue I had, on this line of thought, was no revisiting of old planets and locations. For instance Tattoine being in both the OT and prequels, but no mention of it in the new movies, even having a planet just like Tattoine, but calling it something else.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Honestly I dont feel like that would be something they'd even think of, but its impossible to tell really, with most of the lore gutted there isnt much info on the Outer Rim territories, but arguably a lot of the old alien races came from here, or would have access to here. And many Rebel / Imperial bases were setup in these area's of space.

Even the OP aside I just dont feel like they thought about much in those movies, the benefit they have now is picking whatever storylines and creatures sell best from the EU, or just creating immersion breakers like that weird cow thing Luke drank from or those stupid Porg things.
    Well, in both EU and the new canon, the Outer Rim planets were where most of the major aliens come from. The Core planets were mostly human ruled and wealthier, while the Outer Core planets were largely non-human and poorer. Which is a huge part of why Palpatine had a lot of support in the Senate, because he was from Naboo, which was seen as being closer to the other Outer Rim planets.

I also agree that they put a lot less thought into their Star Wars movie or at least seem adamant on focusing on the things that fans are not interested. Say what you will with Lucas' skills in terms of writing or directing, but he was a pretty decent worldbuilder at least.

Well the disney film trilogies entire premise is to take the old stuff and "improve" it by making it "more" and you can't really do that with a sexy twi'lek slave girl unless you maybe gave her a third breast which would have gotten them sued by the producers of total recall. Or they made her a double slave.

The sequels were made with prequelphobia, and that includes using CGI in a much different fashion. The aliens were shown as diverse in short bursts rather in being there for the long haul. In the OT you saw most of the aliens at the Mos Eisley Cantina, and in the sequels the same is pretty much for Maz Kanata's palace and Canto Bite so far.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    From looking at this you might think this is NSFW, but then you read the text and realize those are eggs and that makes it worse.

Throw Napalm at it!

Disney felt the prequels were disliked so they wanted to distance themselves from them. In a weird sort of way, the backlash to the sequels is so powerful that by not touching the prequels, the prequels may now be better received.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

For me its not the same franchise anymore, Disney is now reselling our past in their own packaged formula. Best way to enjoy the new films is to just not think.

They'll use what they want if it benefits them and not the story.
    The Dreaded Disney "resold our past" in ep.VII and it was one of the highest grossing movies ever made. They tried to do something "subversive" and different in ep.VIII and fans are still in tears over the damage they think has been done to their beloved franchise of sentient teddy bears, Jamaican frog-people, and sand.

Speaking of (and on-topic): The Star Wars galaxy is supposed to have a highly improbable amount of inhabited systems and variety of civilizations, isn't it? Seems like a perfect excuse to let the art department design different aliens rather than just making them stick to the same handful of established species.

I don't think that's true in the new or old cannon, maul for example never had a persona change he was always on the dark side of the force from when he first started using it.
    Except his mother didn't give him the name Maul, Sidious did when he became the Sith apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    But Darth Vader wasn't truly evil...he literally sacrifices himself to kill Palpatine and save his son.
    You're trying to insert something into the movies that was never there. The narrative was that Darth Vader was a puppet. No morally grey there, just being used by someone wholly evil.

Honestly it's kinda disgusting how they're trying to wash their hands of the prequels and everything they introduced. I can't really complain much because I've been let down by the sequels in a lot of ways and it doesn't seem to be stopping.

When are they gonna let Filoni take over?

7+ Year Old Account
    Except his mother didn't give him the name Maul, Sidious did when he became the Sith apprentice.
    I was more so pointing out that he started with the dark side of the force he never experienced the light side. There is also momin in the new canon who is shown dark at a young age and there’s even more prevalent examples in the old eu.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    Honestly it's kinda disgusting how they're trying to wash their hands of the prequels and everything they introduced. I can't really complain much because I've been let down by the sequels in a lot of ways and it doesn't seem to be stopping.

When are they gonna let Filoni take over?

I don’t know when I see stuff like this in the comics It seems like a good idea to wash there hands of the prequels.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    But Darth Vader wasn't truly evil...he literally sacrifices himself to kill Palpatine and save his son.
    You tell that to the younglings.

Also, it is possible for evil people to do good things. Evil is just an alignment, after all! Darth Vader was Lawful Evil.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    That's a cool redemption story, but it does not erase murdering children from his slate. I'm willing to compromise and accept he did not die evil, but even that is debatable. Protecting one's own genetic material is not an obviously unselfish motive.
    I am not sure him not dying evil is actually debatable is it?

He's there, with Yoda and Obi-wan, with all of his human flesh restored, in the glow of the light side of the force. If this scene is meant to confirm Anakins redemption, then regardless of what logic tells us; we'd have to accept that he was indeed, at least in so far as the force is concerned; redeemed no?

- - - Updated - - -

Not really sure why people still aren't getting this, but Vader was evil, Anakin was good. That's the entire symbolism behind the different identities; the Dark Side corrupts individuals into an alternate persona. It's the entire idea behind Sidious christening him into Vader in the first place; Anakin was buried the moment he pledged himself to the Sith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobe
    Your father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed.
    Sounds about right.

Luke is then successful in helping his father Anakin overcome Darth Vader in his final hours, who then kills Palpetine and dies as Anakin Skywalker the good man. Which is then why he can appear as a light ghost (good ghost? Force ghost? Do we just call them Force ghosts now? )

- - - Updated - - -

Even taking alderann out his personal body count is Proabbly in the thousands his ordered body count in the tens of thousands.

Hell he destroys settlements full of people purely out of spite.

- - - Updated - - -

With in the new cannon he’s not even a slave to the dark side he’s a willing partne, he has a vision of him self striking down the emperor and hiding obiwan to surrender him self and obiwan forgiving him. He then rejects that vision saying the dark path is his only option. He then goes into force hell and is confronted with the dark side and all the horrible things it’s lead him to only to be shown that the light will destroy him in the end. The force gave him chances to turn away from the dark he’s the only one who kept him self in it.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s not true though rather it be the old eu of the new canon anakin is very much a part of Vader. Mabye you could argue he put anakin away after his last try to get padama back in the new comics but he could very well be a core part past that and we just haven’t seen it yet.
    These new comics are part of the new continuity? They're not part of the old EU now Legends or whatever they're calling it? If they are part of the new continuity are they any good (assuming you've read 'em)? Could use some good SW stuff in my life again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I am not sure him not dying evil is actually debatable is it?

He's there, with Yoda and Obi-wan, with all of his human flesh restored, in the glow of the light side of the force. If this scene is meant to confirm Anakins redemption, then regardless of what logic tells us; we'd have to accept that he was indeed, at least in so far as the force is concerned; redeemed no?
    Fair enough. I'll stick to the rest, though.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The council didn’t push him over the edge. You really need o go back and watch the prequels again.
    You're a special kind of evil sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Yeah, George Lucas got a lot of shit for his bad writing, but he was more creative when selecting more diverse looking aliens from his art team. Disney's aliens all look the same.