Thread: ded gaem

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

ded gaem

so with hots slowly dying, what is the most popular/played moba right now? is it lol or dota 2?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Neither, its smite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hots has never been the most popular in the MOBA genre. That has always been Defense of the Ancients 2 and League of Legends.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

I tried both, and even if I have DotA baggage and nostalgia from WC3, I preffer DotA 2 over LoL.

League of Legends I think is still played quite a bit more than DotA 2.

They're both fucking terrible, though.

HOTS is the only one that's actually fun, so I suggest go play Destiny 2 instead. Mobas are garbage games because of the whole itemization bullshit. I remember in WC3 you would get banned from games the moment you bought an item that wasn't approved to be used by the players that week/month.

I always laughed at dipshits who use the "toxic" term to refer to people who swear online, but this...this is what toxic really meant. I can't describe to you how oppressive it was to play dota in WC3, after about 3-4 games I never touched that shit again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    HOTS is the only one that's actually fun, so I suggest go play Destiny 2 instead. Mobas are garbage games because of the whole itemization bullshit. I remember in WC3 you would get banned from games the moment you bought an item that wasn't approved to be used by the players that week/month.

I always laughed at dipshits who use the "toxic" term to refer to people who swear online, but this...this is what toxic really meant. I can't describe to you how oppressive it was to play dota in WC3, after about 3-4 games I never touched that shit again.
    Have to agree that mobas tend to be cesspools for toxic players, but you'll find toxicity in any gaming community, so there's that.

LoL by far most popular, probably at least 5 times more people play it than Dota in the world. LoL is super huge in China and Korea. A lot of LoL's popularity is from Asia and somewhat Europe, in NA it's been replaced for many gamers by stuff like Fortnite.

10+ Year Old Account
    thing is, i prefer hots more than lol or dota 2 since i first played it in 2014. lack of items, talents changing skills instead, mounts, many different maps, also the fact one person cant carry the whole game etc etc
    its so much funnier than the other two
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

LoL by far. china has 27 servers. and a super server where only the top players from each server play and the number 1 player on the super server gets a lot of money.

- - - Updated - - -

EUW has also a crazy amount of players

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    League of Legends I think is still played quite a bit more than DotA 2.

They're both fucking terrible, though.
    True!

Heroes of the Storm is the best MOBA...for me

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    thing is, i prefer hots more than lol or dota 2 since i first played it in 2014. lack of items, talents changing skills instead, mounts, many different maps, also the fact one person cant carry the whole game etc etc
    its so much funnier than the other two
    So keep playing HotS, like the rest of us. It won't die as long as enough people do.

I still find Hots the most fun and will continue playing it. No pro scene is completely irrelevant to me.

HotS isn't a "ded gaem". Development is still happening...it's just going to be at a slower rate than it has been over the last few years. If there's anything Blizzard does right...it's supporting their games. They've just finally accepted that HotS was never going to be competitive with LoL and Dota at the e-sports level.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    from somebody who played Dota Allstars on WC3 battle.net for years, then moved to Dota 2 since it first came out (2010 or 2011 was it, maybe even 2012?) and played Dota 2 for a looooooong time since then -- i still find HotS more "fun"

and by "fun" i mean easier to play,, get to turn my brain off and just go crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    HotS isn't a "ded gaem". Development is still happening...it's just going to be at a slower rate than it has been over the last few years. If there's anything Blizzard does right...it's supporting their games. They've just finally accepted that HotS was never going to be competitive with LoL and Dota at the e-sports level.
    To be fair, I'm playing TL a few times a week and I very consistently see the same players in games. I'm not some grand master, I'm firmly in silver. That's suspect.

I've also noticed a severe decline in community cooperation and attitude lately. People don't care, AFK's in draft nearly every match (why does it fucking random them and not drop queue?). Anecdotal for sure, but I've been playing casually for 3 years now and I've never felt it until the past month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I still find Hots the most fun and will continue playing it. No pro scene is completely irrelevant to me.
    Saying it's irrevelant is an mistake. Without pro scene, less updates. And with less updates there is no chance to fix matchmaking which is an utter joke since the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    To be fair, I'm playing TL a few times a week and I very consistently see the same players in games. I'm not some grand master, I'm firmly in silver. That's suspect.

I've also noticed a severe decline in community cooperation and attitude lately. People don't care, AFK's in draft nearly every match (why does it fucking random them and not drop queue?). Anecdotal for sure, but I've been playing casually for 3 years now and I've never felt it until the past month.
    My own anecdotal experience is that I haven't seen any lasting change in queue times for QM (there was a bit of a spike when they first launched their new matchmaking system but that seems to have evened out)...and I play at least a few games at least 4 or 5 nights a week. Maybe things are different at the more competitive levels...but my experience hasn't really changed much.

I'm sure there are quite a few people that have dropped the game now that there's not going to be as much support as there has been over the last couple of years...But there's still a lot of people that want that more laid-back MOBA experience that HotS continues to provide. The real difference for players like me will be that we won't be getting new heroes, new maps, and reworks on quite the same frequency as we've gotten used to over the past couple of years.

Like I said before...I think Blizzard is just realizing now that they were never going to be able to really step into the ring against Dota and LoL. Those games have got a pretty strong grip on the MOBA e-sports level and HotS itself is often considered too "casual" by many of the players of those games to convince them to switch. Plus many of those players have already invested too much time and money into those games for them to really consider starting all over again in a new game. For a lot of players...the more "casual" atmosphere is a bonus...but those players are less likely to want to jump into more competitive play-styles.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    so with hots slowly dying, what is the most popular/played moba right now? is it lol or dota 2?
    So a game is dead if it isnt in top 15 om twitch? Many ppl still love and Play this game... stop making false assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Saying it's irrevelant is an mistake. Without pro scene, less updates. And with less updates there is no chance to fix matchmaking which is an utter joke since the begining.
    Saying, that pro scene being completely irrelevant to someone is an mistake, is a mistake.
    Lack of official tournament doesn't mean that "pro scene" (i'm 100% sure that you meant esports and not pro scene) is non-existent. It also doesn't mean that the game is going to have less updates (in fact, this works in opposite way, more "seriously" the game takes itself in sense of esports - less updates it gets, look at dota and all its postponed changes due to esports). Matchmaking is great right now, you are probably speaking about QM matchmaking which is irrelevant, since it's a cesspool by design. I find in hilarious that you bring QM matchmaking next to an esports (which you called pro scene) being important argument.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure there are quite a few people that have dropped the game now that there's not going to be as much support as there has been over the last couple of years...B
    Why are you sure about that? It doesn't make sense to quit the game, because it won't be updated as often as it used to, because... you know... literally nothing changes with the game right now, and these is no reason to quit it, except being influenced by peers/authority/media.

Games because this "gaas" abomination only recently,you never expected a game to last indefinitely. You bought a game, played it, quit it when you are done. There is nothing to add here, except developers either cutting game in pieces and releasing them separately, to keep you "interested" in game (gating), or deliberately designing the game to be an infinite treadmill that constantly pressures you to spend money on it.

Neither of those scenarios support your idea of someone quitting because game is going to be updated less often.

Don't get me wrong - people will quit the game - when they are bored. And they'll get bored eventually, and since the game is going to be updated less often (but probably with bigger updates?) these "spikes" in both directions of /played time will be way bigger than they are right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said before...I think Blizzard is just realizing now that they were never going to be able to really step into the ring against Dota and LoL.
    Or they realize that the game isn't growing as fast as they wanted it to, and people spend less money on it, because it lacks "new" players, and "old" players already bought everything they wanted and only interested in buying stim once per year, while sitting on tens of thousands of gold and shards
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.