Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account

Looking for a fast harddisk

Hi there,

as the title said, I am looking for a relatively fast hard disk. My wife wants one for her birthday, but for what reasons whatsoever, she doesn't want a SSD.
    And I am not going to argue about that with her

I already looked around, but it seems all hard disks are pretty much the same speed and transfer rates.

Can anyone help me out or at least confirm that?

WD black is the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    Hi there,

as the title said, I am looking for a relatively fast hard disk. My wife wants one for her birthday, but for what reasons whatsoever, she doesn't want a SSD.
    And I am not going to argue about that with her

I already looked around, but it seems all hard disks are pretty much the same speed and transfer rates.

Can anyone help me out or at least confirm that?
    Well, HDD speed is mostly based on RPMs. Hence transfer rates won't change much between different model given the same RPM.

Just aim for a 7200 RPM one like the WD Black suggested above or the Seagate Barracuda; there are also 10000 RPM ones like the VelociRaptor but they're pricy as hell.

Also, is it going to be mounted into a laptop/pc or used as external drive? If it's the second case a standard HDD is fine; if it's the first you're going to pass over lots of performance.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    but for what reasons whatsoever, she doesn't want a SSD.
    What are the reasons? That's sort of important. You can't just dismiss all valid statements because 'reasons'

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    there are also 10000 RPM ones like the VelociRaptor but they're pricy as hell.
    They're pricey, and also noisy too. I just swapped out my VelociRaptor at work, and found it was barely any different than an SSD in real world usage. The SSD was crazy better.

That said, just getting a "Black" drive isn't the end all be all. Single platter drives are faster still, if you can help it. The WD EZEX Blue is one of my favorite drives, as it only has 1 platter for a 1TB drive.

OP: Does it need to be a certain size? Is money an issue? Whats up?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    ...women...

Are you sure you heard your wife right?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Seriously a 1 tb ssd costs about a 110 dollars. There is no need to go and buy an HD unless its for archiving purposes.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Reasons? She's pregnant. Other women want a special ice cream, she want's a special hard disk. That's why I won't argue about it with her. But it's okay now, she already changed her mind. I'll go looking for a ssd this weekend.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Grats mate!

15+ Year Old Account
    Reasons? She's pregnant. Other women want a special ice cream, she want's a special hard disk. That's why I won't argue about it with her. But it's okay now, she already changed her mind. I'll go looking for a ssd this weekend.
    Of course she did, she is a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just buy her an ssd and tell her it isnt one and install it and the problem is solved.

You could look into a Seagate 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive) looks like a regular HDD. 2TB runs around $100 and 1TB around $70.

I would very much argue that an SSD is better: SSD vs HDD. If she doesn't agree, buy it anyway. SSD is superior in any way and the price isn't that significant anymore. Once you go SSD you never go back
    Last edited by rogermoss; 2019-01-27 at 11:35 PM.

Reasons? She's pregnant. Other women want a special ice cream, she want's a special hard disk. T