Page 68 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    3 of my friends and I are huge Trek fans. Seen every ep of every show, played many Trek games and tabletop games, built many models.

None of us have even given STD a chance. All because of their social media attacks on the fans. I wish creators would STFU on twitter so I could just enjoy what they create, without knowing they hate me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    3 of my friends and I are huge Trek fans. Seen every ep of every show, played many Trek games and tabletop games, built many models.

None of us have even given STD a chance. All because of their social media attacks on the fans. I wish creators would STFU on twitter so I could just enjoy what they create, without knowing they hate me.
    See, i ignore social medias as much as possible in order to not get that holier-than-you attitude smacked in my face. If the show sucks IMO than that will be squarely on the show. And DIS has so far been no worse than the first 2 seasons of TNG or DS9. It has its problems but also its higher points.

I find Vilendors complain about progressive acceptance agenda hilarious. Somebody better not remind him that in TOS they had the first-time-ever kiss between a white guy and a black woman in TV history, or other stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    DS9 is easily one of the best star trek series.
    If TNG hadn't Picard, I'd say its the best. Only a madman would rate ENT and VOY above them.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    You don't. Arguments like : X character is fat? Political agenda? It's a show, you sit back and enjoy.
    I didn't say the show is bad. I love it. It's just every time I see Tilly my suspension of disbelief... suspends
    I'm a Stargate fan myself, and I don't have your luxury of watching my childhood series renewed again. Why? Because of crybabies who said SG Universe sucks and they don't like it.
    Universe was crap. It had good premise and it got things rolling by the end of season 2 (iirc) But it was crap in-between. Too much SJW soap opera. You know what I compare Universe to? Remember that SG-1 200 episode where they imagine different shows and the one piece was about teenage SG-1? THAT!
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I didn't say the show is bad. I love it. It's just every time I see Tilly my suspension of disbelief... suspends
    She has a medical exemption. She's there for her engineering capability and its not like she works in security. Although come to think of it, I used to go to university with a lady Military Police and she was... girthier than Tilly.

I'm amazed that people have a problem with Tilly's weight over her personality, which would, to me, be the far more serious issue for a Starfleet officer. I think it would be quite a reach to say there are no more fat people in that future (and that is if you even want to call Tilly "fat" which I think is a bit too far). Humanity is bettering itself, but it's not like it's reached perfection, or even close to it. They have tons of flaws left, be they physical or psychological. Thinking that it's inconceivable someone would be allowed an extra 20 pounds but that people with severe character defects (of which we have an entire encyclopedia of examples in all of Star Trek) could just go on to become leading officials is 21st-century hypocrisy if nothing else.

Anyway.

I found ST a chore to watch in S1, with far too many changes to the lore (new Klingons wtf?) and far too many questionable casting/acting/writing choices. The whole tardigrade/spore drive thing was ludicrous (and, apparently, a ripoff from some indie video game in the first place) and the Federation/Klingon war was a contrived mess with an ex-machina resolution (though I will admit that I have always hated the Mirror Universe in general so I am biased).

I will give S2 the benefit of the doubt simply because it's Star Trek, and as someone rightly pointed out, the first 1-3 seasons of Star Trek shows are often less-than-stellar. Then again, what has come out of Star Trek lately (i.e. the new movies) has been a load of absolute shit. So, I guess I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not expecting it.

There's always The Orville.
    Last edited by Biomega; 2019-01-24 at 07:08 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    She has a medical exemption. She's there for her engineering capability and its not like she works in security. Although come to think of it, I used to go to university with a lady Military Police and she was... girthier than Tilly.
    I didn't say she's incapable. My point was "why doesn't she fix it"? Any fat person would fix themselves if they had the Star Trek technology. Being fat is bad for health.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    You are rating Enterprise and Voyager above TNG and DS9, and you honestly want us to believe you care about Star Trek? Yeah, nice try there.
    Having re-watched TNG, VOY, DS9 and ENT on Netflix within the last 6 months, YES..

E.g. TNG have too much Klingon and too little Borg for my taste..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Personally, I haven't watched the new series. This is basically because I am so tried of them going further and further back in time. One of the reasons why Voyager was so successful was because of the advanced timeline. Voyager was, and in many regards still is, one of the most advanced starships in the Star Trek universe. This was one of the main reasons why I started watching Star Trek in the first place. Sure, I went back and watched ST TOS, TNG, DS9, etc. But Voyager had rich storylines, heaps of undiscovered aliens, plenty of borg, and the like. I really wish they'd come out with something new that's beyond Voyagers stardate and stop going back and rehashing the original series.

I'm a Stargate fan myself, and I don't have your luxury of watching my childhood series renewed again. Why? Because of crybabies who said SG Universe sucks and they don't like it.
    In fairness, it wasn't great lol
    Last edited by Ryme; 2019-01-25 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Wrong quote
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Just watched S2E2 New Eden .. boy, what a treat.
    Good writing, acting, a predictable trope, but hints for bigger and beter things to come.
    If they keep up they might actually create a good 2nd season for a ST sthow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

The second episode was really quite good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    If TNG hadn't Picard, I'd say its the best. Only a madman would rate ENT and VOY above them.
    I think DS9 is by far the worst star trek show (although I haven't watched TOS) :S.

Mainly, actually almost exclusively, because the actor who plays Sisko is absolutely worthless. I just can't stand his expressions (or lack of) and the way he puts a pause between every single word he says.

In text form, It.......is......like......watching......someone......speak......like......this.....and... ...it......drives......me.....completely......insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post

In text form, It.......is......like......watching......someone......speak......like......this.....and... ...it......drives......me.....completely......insane.
    I completely read this in his exasperated angry tone lol. It was hilarious in my head

- - - Updated - - -

Well well well.....

It was not Burnham that saved the day this time. This was a really good episode to me at least. I liked the interaction between Jacob and the away team. This is turning out to be an interesting season. a small spark of hope begins, I hope it does not fade away.

Just seen the first ep. Was pretty cool episode, Pike seems like a fun character.

I actually liked the guy who was just being a dick for no reason. Added some humour. Shame he died in such a pathetic and obvious death you could see a mile away. UH

They really need to push Michael back in the cast now though and let some of the others have their arcs; I think it hurts the show a lot that the whole thing kind of character worships her.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Just seen the first ep. Was pretty cool episode, Pike seems like a fun character.

I actually liked the guy who was just being a dick for no reason. Added some humour. Shame he died in such a pathetic and obvious death you could see a mile away. UH

They really need to push Michael back in the cast now though and let some of the others have their arcs; I think it hurts the show a lot that the whole thing kind of character worships her.
    Agreed. One of my favorite parts of past ST shows was the individual character episodes that highlighted them in story A while the rest of the cast was pushed to story B. Feels like this show will never really have that. It will be Michael is story A all the time and the rest of the cast will get occasional story B moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Agreed. One of my favorite parts of past ST shows was the individual character episodes that highlighted them in story A while the rest of the cast was pushed to story B. Feels like this show will never really have that. It will be Michael is story A all the time and the rest of the cast will get occasional story B moments.
    Yeah we're in season 2 now and I'm still calling people on the bridge crew "Lieutenant Woman with Cyborg Eye", "Lieutenant Black Woman with Braids", and who could forget "Commander Robot Face".

There's too much character worship of Michael. Let some others shine! It doesn't help that they've killed off most of the more interesting characters already.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2019-01-26 at 09:01 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Yeah we're in season 2 now and I'm still calling people on the bridge crew Lieutenant Woman with Cyborg Eye, Lieutenant Black Woman with Braids, and who could forget Commander Robot Face.
    I don't think its an issue with the show really. It's just what happens when you have a main character you focus around in a show. Thats why the other Star Trek series were so great, they never had a main character, it was an ensemble. It's just an inferior writing team and style for this series, The outer characters basically have nothing to do outside Tilly, Paul and Saru.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah we're in season 2 now and I'm still calling people on the bridge crew "Lieutenant Woman with Cyborg Eye", "Lieutenant Black Woman with Braids", and who could forget "Commander Robot Face".

There's too much character worship of Michael. Let some others shine! It doesn't help that they've killed off most of the more interesting characters already.
    I was actually really happy when Pike introduced himself and went around the bridge, and they all named themselves.

They're visibly distinct characters and have had lines and stuff in the show, before, and I honestly do not know if they even had names during S1. They certainly weren't ever said out loud in the show. I'm hoping it's the beginning of some effort to widen the cast a bit.

Ep 2 doesn't really focus on Burnham that much. She's there to voice some stuff, but it's an episode more about Pike and Tilly. We're not going to lose Burnham's central role; she's still Spock's adoptive sister and that's core to the season, but unless it's relevant to Spock, she's just a highly qualified crew member.

I'd love to see an entire episode featuring none of the "main cast", just with those recognizeable secondary characters, to flesh them out. You can either have some minor-but-critical issue going on behind the scenes of another major episode (so you'd do these back-to-back), or a sequence where the main officers of Discovery are captured/disabled by some enemy force who're about to get a reminder that all the crew are badasses of some sort. If you need a carryover from the "main" crew, use Saru; he's cautious enough to be holding back while the other crew step in, and Doug Jones is fuckin' amazing and needs more love.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    I don't think its an issue with the show really. It's just what happens when you have a main character you focus around in a show. Thats why the other Star Trek series were so great, they never had a main character, it was an ensemble. It's just an inferior writing team and style for this series, The outer characters basically have nothing to do outside Tilly, Paul and Saru.
    I wouldn't even say it's this show, it's a shift in TV writing in general. Ensemble shows aren't generally doing well, nor are "episode-of-the-week" formats; viewers today prefer longer arcs. It used to be that you had to watch the show when it aired, or wait months for reruns; making a missed show non-critical was what viewers needed back in the '80s and '90s. Now, with DVRs and on-demand, people are way more likely to binge and not miss a single ep, and want content that reflects that.

Plus, a lot of these shows took seasons to work the kinks out. Go watch Season 1 of TNG again. It's fucking awful. Some of the worst Trek ever put to film. And it's bad because the writing was bad. Worse than anything in Discovery. Seasons 1 and 2 of DS9 were pretty garbage too, until it found its feet. Voyager I wouldn't say ever did. Enterprise was famously meh for the first couple seasons, but fans were pretty happy with Season 3 and especially 4, just not enough so to save it. We've got way less patience, today. A big reason for the narrower focus on fewer characters is to tighten up that narrative and make it more compelling, more quickly, without losing viewers in a wash of characters that seem irrelevant or distracting.

If they can build it up after Season 1 as they've hinted, great, but the marketplace has changed. You're not ever going to get another TNG. That wasn't ever going to happen by the time of DS9, let alone the 2010s. Viewers would hate it. Not the diehards who want more TNG, but the much broader viewer base the show needs to pull to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Do i really have to spell it out? Progressive acceptance agenda wrapped in ST coat. Like the whole show...

On topic: This show isn't completely horrible, but it has nothing to do with Star Trek. Rename it to something else, drop the forced references and i'll keep watching it.
    is it progressive though? we focus on 1 black character and a bunch of white ones, with aliens that could be any ethnicity under the makeup. theres an asian drige officer, and we dont learn his name in all 11 episodes hes in for the first season. the OTHER black female bridge crew memeber? whats her name? shes in 13 episodes and has 4 lines for all of season 1. the "female" robot thing. whats its name? it had 10 episodes. and the girl with the prosthetic blue eye, metal plate and shaved head. She says "its all your fault burnham" and then is another permanent background bridge crew member until the second episode of season 2. I know her name was mentioned once, but she was so forgettable considering how she was used (or misused as she should have direct hate for the main character) Its far from being the USS AFIRMATIVE ACTION. Voyager was so much closer to that. its just a bad show that fails to utilize an ensemble cast for much of the show. Rainn Wilson has more total screen time than some of the mentioned bridge crew...and hes supposed to be a secondary character. this is where the show fails.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    No. That was a duplicate of Riker created during a Transporter accident 10 years prior during the mission that made his career. Basically there was a technobabble problem beaming him back up to the ship, but they got through a storm in the atmosphere, but the signal duplicated. So one Riker went up and one Riker went back down. The Enterprise visited the planet 10 years later to find the duplicate Riker by accident living there the whole time.
    there is a mirror universe riker on TNG. the episode where theres 327,000 simultaneous hails form variants of the Enterprise-D. the one where Riker is captain and freaking out about being sent back to a borg dominated universe. thats not THE mirror terran empire universe, but it is a mirror universe none the less.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    No. That was a duplicate of Riker created during a Transporter accident 10 years prior during the mission that made his career. Basically there was a technobabble problem beaming him back up to the ship, but they got through a storm in the atmosphere, but the signal duplicated. So one Riker went up and one Riker went back down. The Enterprise visited the planet 10 years later to find the duplicate Riker by accident living there the whole time.
    there is a mirror universe riker on TNG. the episode where theres 327,000 simultaneous hails form variants of the Enterprise-D. the one where Riker is captain and freaking out about being sent back to a borg dominated universe. thats not THE mirror terran empire universe, but it is a mirror universe none the less.

- - - Updated - - -

it has eased the reins a bit on that focus. i will give credit to the first 2 episodes actually giving other bridge crew screen time with lines. hopefully they will adopt a more ensemble cast, that all other iterations of star trek has done, both in movies and tv; instead of burnham in space featuring generic bridge crew and captain.