Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    cars depreciate in value the moment you drive them off the lot and unless your car breaks down every 5 years (in which case, even more of a waste of money) - why keep replacing it? what's the point?
    The reason they depreciate the moment you drive it off the lot is because that's the true value of the car. Dealerships and banks do a great job inflating the value of cars. Once the car is driven off the lot it enters the open market and it's value is then determined, but that's not how mafia works, I mean how dealerships work. They have an oligopoly on the sale of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    The reason they depreciate the moment you drive it off the lot is because that's the true value of the car. Dealerships and banks do a great job inflating the value of cars. Once the car is driven off the lot it enters the open market and it's value is then determined, but that's not how mafia works, I mean how dealerships work. They have an oligopoly on the sale of cars.

well... be as it may, I'm still not seeing a point of 1. buying new and 2. replacing that often. I'll keep the car, until its maintenance requires more then routine replacements of things that wear out from general use regardless of your car's age (you know, oil, tires, belts, filters, windshield wipers, things like that)

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a 2003 Toyota corolla a few years ago. No, I haven't owned it for 15 years, but it is still in perfect running condition. and that's 16 years! it does only have 160k miles though

10+ Year Old Account
    My car is older than many people on this forum. And, it's not Japanese made, although my next car likely will be.

'96 Chevrolet Cavalier. Took it off parents hands about 3 years ago. They thought it wasn't worth getting registered in a new state via being unlikely to pass emissions tests and not surviving the winter anyways.
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

My whips a 1994 Toyota 4Runner, original owner, 190k orig. engine. Best purchase I've ever made in my entire life, hands down.

the question is.. why?

cars depreciate in value the moment you drive them off the lot and unless your car breaks down every 5 years (in which case, even more of a waste of money) - why keep replacing it? what's the point?

I guess I just don't understand this disposable mentality, but the ONLY things i replace often are shoes, socks and underwear (and in case of shoes, it mostly only applies to things like athletic shoes as they tend to wear out that much faster). I guess i replace my PC every 5 years or so... but PC doesn't cost nearly as much as a car does.
    As I explained to others- Yes, cars are a "horrible investment" but by that logic so is a delicious steak dinner with great sides at an expensive restaurant. I mean why not just go to subway? Both fill you up and give what the body needs to live. There is a hierarchy of needs: 1) is food and water 2) cloths, 3) shelter (I think shelter may have been 2 at one point but you aren't getting anything done naked in the 21st century) Once these are filled, yes save for retirement and a "rainy day" but once you have a savings plan going.... you gotta have fun... you gotta live life. I need to drive every day. I LIKE rocketing off from a green light, leaving people in the dust. I like having a heated steering wheel on a cold day and cooled seats on hot days. I don't see how people can willingly go without it. I save like 1/2 my pay every year, I have a 401k. What else am I gonna do with the money?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alopex View Post
    My car is older than many people on this forum. And, it's not Japanese made, although my next car likely will be.

'96 Chevrolet Cavalier. Took it off parents hands about 3 years ago. They thought it wasn't worth getting registered in a new state via being unlikely to pass emissions tests and not surviving the winter anyways.
    Happily, I don't think that is older than most people on this forum, I feel like the average age here is about 30ish.

A friend had a Volvo 740 sedan, from 1986 to 2017. That's when he sold it to me... The damn thing still run and refuse to give up, it's like the Toyota Hilux from Top Gear.

love my 08 Nissan Sentra SER - still has lots of life @ 215k
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    What's the point in keeping a car for that long? I know this isn't the same thing as reliability, but still.
    the point is generaly people being poor.

dont know anyone who lives on decent level who doesnt change car every 5-6 years.

There are some practical reasons.

In the UK the MOT (annual car test) starts to become a major hurdle and you will start to pay more and more in getting it through than the car is worth.

In some places (Ireland) it becomes progressively harder to insure an older car (10-15 years).

That said if your car is still going and passing, then why not?

the question is.. why?

I guess I just don't understand this disposable mentality, but the ONLY things i replace often are shoes, socks and underwear (and in case of shoes, it mostly only applies to things like athletic shoes as they tend to wear out that much faster). I guess i replace my PC every 5 years or so... but PC doesn't cost nearly as much as a car does.
    because its fun to get new shiny stuff from time to time.

yes the value depreciates - but ... who cares.

if you care about stuff like this then new cars are not for you - brutal i know but its true

there is plenty of +/-6 year old cars which you can buy if you dont want new one

for me personaly car is something very personal - i would not want to drive in car that someone else driven in - just like i dont buy 2nd hand clothes . yes it would be much cheaper but the idea is disgusting in itself

luckily i earn enough to not have to do it.

but i know there is a lot of people who have no other choice .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgran View Post
    It's a very odd thing to track. How many percent of the owners who keep a car for at least 15 years.
    Why not 10 years or 20 years?
    What would be a more interesting statistic is how long someone keep their car for on average.

I've had my Hyundai Couple/Tiburon for 13 years.
    its pretty logical though .

most of time people swap/buy used cars around certain "age walls"

for example what i see most often would be :

2-3 years - cars after lease
    6-8 years - cars bought from first owner
    12-13 years - much cheaper cars very often bought from 2nd owner .

15+ years means veeeery old cars that barely anyone is interested in .

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Given that the average price of a new car is $35,000, 2-5k in repairs isn't that much.
    No problems cost no money.

I have a 2016 TLX and a 2019 RDX A-spec. I also have a 2002 RSX. Aside from brakes and tires etc. The RSX has cost me next to nothing in maintenance aside from wear and tear items. The other 2 Acuras are under bumper to Bumper warranty.
    Last edited by lockedout; 2019-01-28 at 11:28 PM.

To me it isn't about the years, it's about the mileage.
    My first pick-up died at 200k. Had it for almost 10yrs.
    I'll keep my current vehicle for as long as I can. (nearing the 11yr mark)

For a while I was driving a Lincoln that was 2 years younger than I was. It was my first car; a hand-me-down, essentially. It was well over two decades old, and all of the electronics were wearing out and it required constant repairs to the starter, the battery, etc etc. The air conditioner didn't work and the pain was rusted. I also had issues with the brakes (which may have been my fault, I don't know to this day ), but not once did I ever have an issue with the engine.

I originally gave it to a family member when I got a new vehicle, and if I recall they ended up selling it to someone for 'parts', but as I am told it was fixed up and still running to this day. That is, the engine never went bad on it, it's just everything else that wore out.

Well, you know what they say... at risk of sounding older than I'd like, "they don't make them like they used to". Cars are literally designed to wear out and require you to get new vehicles now. Old vehicles on the other hand were built to last. It is what it is.

There's plenty of truth here, though. Hondas are definitely good cars. They are also among the most popular. So it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they are cars that people are holding onto the longest. I don't know as much about Toyota, but I know enough to realize they are at least reliable.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2019-01-28 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Playing reverse devil's advocate. Take a company that began in the US, like Apple. Would you say their quality is just as good now that most of them are made in Chinese sweatshops as opposed to here in the US, because they use designs invented in the US?
    Potentially valid counter argument, but I do not like Apple products and never have - just personal preference - so I can't speak of any recent decrease in production quality and if that has anything to do with where it's manufactured, as I don't actively keep up with their products.

#1 on the list baby! My parents bought it brand new I think Summer 2005 (it is a 2006) right after I turned 13, and I am still driving it at 26 (27 in July). It is a great car, not bad looking either. Only downsides you do have to put a little money in it once in a while this pic was actually taken when I was getting new brakes recently... I ordered new tires which should come in tomorrow too so it was an expensive couple weeks but I'll make that up in 2-3 months in the car payments I don't have to make... Oh yeah it was expensive on the front end too, I think it cost about 40,000. I get the wild hair to get myself a new highlander or an audi a4 every once in a while, but seems idiotic at this point since I don't have a garage. I don't want my brand new car sitting out 24/7 in the sun/rain.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    The Supra and MR2 would like to have a word with you.
    MR2 was tiny and girly, and Supra was limited supply. Also neither have been made for well over 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    MR2 was tiny and girly, and Supra was limited supply. Also neither have been made for well over 10 years
    They started making the Supra again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Yes, all the people with nice cars are in debt, every single one. You know some people have a decent job and after the needed things are paid for, they buy nice things and still put money in the bank, right?
    I would say there are far more people paying on a loan than not.

Because you can still rocket off from a red light 0-60 very quickly. It never gets old. Some people like nice things, and want to use their extra money on that, crazy I know. I understand you think it should all go to welfare but thankfully we get to keep some to make ourselves happy.
    Not everyone cares about HP or torque.

As I said in my original post that you quoted "Why would anyone with a decent income..." I make enough that I can enjoy some nice things. Driving is part of life, I like a nice vehicle. Hail damage on my car would "trigger" me for lack of a better word. The world sees my car, I like it to look nice. I take personal pride in it, and fast acceleration makes me smile every day. I have cooled seats, heated seats, heated steering wheel (that alone is worth it's weight in gold) a very powerful engine, and lots of helpful gadgets in it I like. I COULD get from A to B in an old beat up car but I wouldn't be happy in it.
    The great thing about it is not everyone likes the same things. You value the creature comforts of the current luxuries in cars and how stylish they look or make you feel. Not everyone is the same as you. They may value reliability, affordability, etc..
    Kara Swisher: What do you think about Cory Booker saying kick them in the shins?
    Hillary Clinton: Well, that was Eric Holder.
    Kara Swisher: Eric Holder, oh, Eric Holder, sorry.
    Hillary Clinton: Yeah, I know they all look alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Not one American car. Tesla is supposed to do really well this year, maybe they'll be such a car.

Have you kept a car for more than 15 years?
    No, but I plan on keeping my Toyota Corolla S+ at least 10, especially since I have free tires for the life of a car. My wife has a Toyota Camry and I have an old Toyota 4WD that runs like it was built yesterday. Love Toyota.