Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Several problems with this idea. I'll just give some examples.

Around the time of MoP's release, the novel Tides of War was released. It, of course, covered the events leading up to, during, and after the destruction of Theramore. In-game, there was nothing covering this, except the aftermath in the form of a scenario as the pre-event for MoP. Most players were confused why Theramore was destroyed, since we didn't see any of the event until after Theramore was already destroyed.

MoP also saw the Vol'jin novel Shadows of the Horde. Because so many people were pissed that the story was left out of the game, that book wound up covering almost nothing of consequence - we saw the gist of the novel's consequences already in-game. The novel was released in July 2013, and it covers events that happened in November 2012 (patch 5.1). It left players not caring about it, seeing it as a useless reason to spend money to see lore that was already mostly seen in-game. Of course, the novel covers things that we don't see in-game (like Vol'jin studying with the Shado-Pan, and their showdown with the Mogu and Zandalari), but we had already seen Vol'jin alive and well in-game, leaving the novel entirely useless. People were instead pissed off that they didn't get to see the battle between the Shado-Pan and the Mogu/Zandalari, and instead were shown Vol'jin being stabbed, and Vol'jin being fine. It wasn't balanced well with the story in-game at all.

Story needs to be in a role playing game. How would WoW continue to exist without quests, raids, scenarios, events, books, pet text, and all other things that provide various levels of story? People have asked for more lore in-game for many years, not less. Making an entirely different game to see the story that should be told to us in the game people are already playing would only make people angry, calling Blizzard greedy, lazy, and out-of-touch.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromell View Post
    They should tell the story well in the game, MoP is an excellent example of this.
    It is? I thought MoPs story was terrible, and no, I'm not one of the LUL PANDAS crowd either. I don't think it did a good job at all, story-wise. The story as it was told simply couldn't have made me care less about the Mogu, or the Hozen, or whatever the fish were called (Jinyu I think?), and the Sha/emotions nonsense just looked like they were ripped straight out of bad Eastern/Buddhist fiction. And the rest of the story was an otherwise great character in Garrosh just spiraling hilariously quickly into insanity. K. I loved how they told the Isle of Thunder/Lei Shen story though. That was impressive.

I actually agree with the OP. I feel like the RTS games were able to provide a much more cohesive story to follow. In Wow, it feels like they have to focus so hard on treating both factions "equally", to a far greater extent. On top of that, both factions being told completely different versions of the same "story" feels pretty weird too.
    Last edited by Constraint; 2019-01-29 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    No. They should do the opposite and tell the entire story in-game.

And hire some good writers for a change, writers who've actually worked on video games instead of trashy novels.
    Yup agree with all of this.

I'd love to see a Skyrim-quality WoW RPG, but it's simply not going to happen with Blizzard. Even if they did decide to make an updated RPG, it would likely end up being more similar to WC3 than Skyrim and I don't want to play that.

Fuck that.

. This MMORPG is the only one that's captured my interest past the gameplay.
    Some people not liking the story for X reasons = it shouldn't happen. Since Legion I've even seen people that never gave a fuck, actually be interested in the story.

Every.single.expansion had people lament the lore in some way or another, yet many will hail WOTLK as this marvel of storytelling. Snore.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^^ This
    I'm sick and tired of lore (e.g. the books) that happen off screen..

If it doesn't happen in game, it should not be Canon!
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account

And hire some good writers for a change, writers who've actually worked on video games instead of trashy novels.
    I feel the same way.

a) They need to tell more of the story in game. No more War Crimes shit.
    b) They need to take a look at GW2 and how they do the story. They have a solo/personal story campaign and everything is resolved there. I believe you can also do small groups / co-op. No story is tied to like a raid or dungeon - that's for gameplay only.

Wow uses pretty ancient mechanics to play in game... they haven't really innovated much lately.

All they have to do is keep upgrading their game engine to show things in a more meaningful way.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    I think their problem is about they don't think much about the future or work like Toriyama and only works with big highlitsh of the story that can be interpreted in 2 different ways by the team, for example Goku getting UI in the manga only happens just 1 time and in the anime happens every 5 episodes in the tournament, in WoW case we have Nathanos in both Darkshore and Zandalar or Genn doing the same or for worse having 2 separted dimensions where x thing happens in the alliance while the horde sees another thing(seriously the corpse of Derek being using as bait to destroy some Kul'tiran ships should raise a lot of alarms for the Proudmoore)

Also the direction is bad, Alex kinda seems to not care at all and damm Danuser for all of his faults he is actually more enthusiast with his job, Golden probably is in the same ground with her being a fanboy of Anduin and Jaina but probably these characters will end like Thrall being throwed out of the story. I hope the new game from Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk can do something for the next expansion and if we are lucky sementing some rules and helping the writing team to be more harsh with themself and aim higher
    either there is no communication between them, or the auditor team sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    It is? I thought MoPs story was terrible, and no, I'm not one of the LUL PANDAS crowd either. I don't think it did a good job at all, story-wise. The story as it was told simply couldn't have made me care less about the Mogu, or the Hozen, or whatever the fish were called (Jinyu I think?), and the Sha/emotions nonsense just looked like they were ripped straight out of bad Eastern/Buddhist fiction. And the rest of the story was an otherwise great character in Garrosh just spiraling hilariously quickly into insanity. K. I loved how they told the Isle of Thunder/Lei Shen story though. That was impressive.

I actually agree with the OP. I feel like the RTS games were able to provide a much more cohesive story to follow. In Wow, it feels like they have to focus so hard on treating both factions "equally", to a far greater extent. On top of that, both factions being told completely different versions of the same "story" feels pretty weird too.
    I meant the way they told the story, not the contents and quality of the story itself, that's a matter of opinion. I loved the way the story was told, Lorewalker Cho is my favorite character from MoP. Though I agree that there were some missteps with the narrative (Garrosh, for example).