Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Battle for Dazar'alor Mythic Progression, Jeremy Feasel Interview, Blue Posts

Battle for Dazar'alor Mythic Progression - Limit, Method, and Pieces at 8/9
    Method and Pieces have joined Limit at 8/9.

Developer Interview - Jeremy Feasel
    Taliesin & Evitel has the opportunity to talk to Jeremy Feasel, who has moved off of Island Expeditions onto a general oversight and planning role.

Crestfall
    • Crestfall is a new Island Expedition coming in Patch 8.2, with elements of the Warcraft map.
    • There will be dragon skeletons, gryphon rider hammers, cannon towers, destroyed battleship, and more.
    • It will tell micro stories, such as "This is where the Humans would have built their barracks", but now it's a rundown and destroyed castle.

Island Expeditions
    • A lot of stories were started on islands with one time questgiver quests, such as something going on with the Mantid. Those are setting up stuff.
    • Some of those threads will get pulled on as we go through the patch process. It'd be interesting to look at those and figure out which of them will take off and where they will go, because a couple of them will go to some pretty interesting places during this expansion.
    • Maybe in some Normal Island Expeditions, you could have more time to do exploring and less time pressure. The team may experiment with this in Patch 8.2.

New NPC AI
    • The new brawl in Patch 8.1.5 that puts players up against AI in Arathi Basin will be the first big use of the new AI tech outside of Island Expeditions. This is an opportunity to give the AI meta battleground strategies. Should the AI jump off the cliff and Slow Fall down to the Blacksmith?
    • They could use the NPC AI to make a new bodyguard buddy, jumping around you, climbing up rocks and looking off into the distance.

Story and Nazjatar
    • Whenever the team develops the story, they keep in mind the story that is going throughout the entire expansion. One in this expansion is Sylvanas's rise to power, how she is using it, and how people react to it. That's a key to how we get to Nazjatar and what happens there.
    • You'll start to see links between what people are doing and how it is impacting our story and where we are going really start to come out during the Nazjatar questing.
    • You will have some impact on your surrounding area in Nazjatar. You'll be meeting a group that is indigenous to Nazjatar and helping them out, which has it's own local impacts.
    • The effects of what's going on with the greater story may not necessarily take place in Nazjatar, but in other places across the world.

Allied Races
    • The team loves the Allied Race system and thinks it is a strong system.
    • The team does plan to add more Allied Races, but nothing to announce right now.

Systems
    • The team is pulling away from gating content with quests that require you to collect thousands of shards and instead focusing on big story quests that you can complete and feel like you got an awesome story reward for playing through a space.
    • In addition to that, there are a significant number of people working on sandbox systems and overworld systems, as well as an updated world quest system across the entire zone.

Nazjatar and Mechagon Content
    • You'll be introduced via big cinematic moments, unlock your hub, meet your new friends, and then you've got the new bodyguard system.
    • Your bodyguard will be leveled up, gaining additional stories and abilities as you are leveling them up. The new quests will tell you about the new races, giving you drips of story.
    • You'll have a whole new set of world quests, unlike anything the team has done previously.
    • There may periodically be public events that pop up, similar to the Legion Assault system. You can join in on the scenario in the world with everyone and finish it.
    • It should feel like there is stuff happening all over the place.
    • What were some of the coolest sandbox systems of Timeless Isle? Every once in a while you would see a shrine that you could click on and spawn a mini event. Things that you don't see every day, but will come upon occasionally when playing through a space.
    • The team wants to double down on the feeling of an exploratory sandbox. You should still see things for the first time, even a couple months into playing.
    • Mechagon is going in an entirely separate direction in terms of how content is unlocked and what it turns into.
    • You can gather all sorts of crafting materials across the space, and it has a local crafter with lots of mechanical rewards. If you bring him a battery, spare parts, and some scraps, he can build a spider bot.
    • It should feel like a breath of fresh air in terms of how content is being delivered and what you are getting over time.
    • There isn't a dedicated team working on secrets added to the game, they are just passion projects.

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Kul Tiran and Zandalari Unlock Requirements
    I think one of the major worries was if a dungeon/raid would also be part of the requirements.
    I’m really glad there not along with having to being exalted with the other factions too just to unlock those two.

We clarified that raiding wasn’t needed and people immediately wanted clarity on what was needed down to specifics. I put this together to help ensure everybody was on the same page and if they aren’t exalted or avoid doing quests, they can hop on those right away.

Since the zones are separated, will unlocking KT humans also unlock the Zandalari?
    If you have unlocked Kul Tiran and you want a Zandalari then you need to do all of the horde requirements on a horde character. The mag’har/dark iron worked this way as well if I’m remembering right.

Serious question: I have an Alliance toon that has met the requirements for Kul Tirans. If I faction swap to Horde before unlocking Kul Tirans, will I still be able to complete their scenario and unlock them? I do not have another 120 Alliance character.

While I am not 100% sure on how the achievements themselves work with a faction change - the point that was mentioned above would be the primary issue: you would need a max level Alliance character to do the recruitment questline. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

So basically the new zones are going to be timegated?

Meh no thanks. Fell for that shit in Broken Shore with 7.2 and it's 14 weeks of "story".

You'll have a whole new set of world quests, unlike anything the team has done previously.

Suuuuure we will....

The team is pulling away from gating content with quests that require you to collect thousands of shards and instead focusing on big story quests that you can complete and feel like you got an awesome story reward for playing through a space.

Correction. You are gating the story by weeks for no actual gameplay reason other than to keep that MAU count up. If there was actually a lore reason then fine. And no "oh we must prepare" is not a lore reason.

It should feel like there is stuff happening all over the place.

Then take a look at how other games do their event systems. The invasions on Argus were subpar at best. It was just a glorified scenario. Do a big event that builds up to a world boss among other things.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2019-02-01 at 10:34 AM.

You'll have a whole new set of world quests, unlike anything the team has done previously.
    How can we believe this when...

There may periodically be public events that pop up, similar to the Legion Assault system. You can join in on the scenario in the world with everyone and finish it.
    What were some of the coolest sandbox systems of Timeless Isle? Every once in a while you would see a shrine that you could click on and spawn a mini event. Things that you don't see every day, but will come upon occasionally when playing through a space.

Everything seems rather straightforward, no risk taken, a new hub with World Quests, Invasions and Shrines, they don't seem to be willing to take risks anymore after the Azerite/Islands/Warfronts fiasco.

Edit: Wow these blue answers. If I'm remembering right, While I'm not 100% sure. Why not checking before answering ? Should be like a 10-seconds research.
    Last edited by Ophenia; 2019-02-01 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    So basically the new zones are going to be timegated?

Meh no thanks. Fell for that shit in Broken Shore with 7.2 and it's 14 weeks of "story".

Suuuuure we will....

The team is pulling away from gating content with quests that require you to collect thousands of shards and instead focusing on big story quests that you can complete and feel like you got an awesome story reward for playing through a space.

Correction. You are gating the story by weeks for no actual gameplay reason other than to keep that MAU count up. If there was actually a lore reason then fine. And no "oh we must prepare" is not a lore reason.

Then take a look at how other games do their event systems. The invasions on Argus were subpar at best. It was just a glorified scenario. Do a big event that builds up to a world boss among other things.
    oh shnap, this is a salty one

Would anyone be doing the island stuff it not for the terrible necklace you have to baby all expansion? Even needing the azerite power I haven’t touched them in months.. they are just so boring and bad

Quote Originally Posted by Doomaz View Post
    oh shnap, this is a salty one
    And there's the issue. Any criticism to you is "salt".

Every time they've said the new WQs would be unique they haven't been. It's usually just either reusing quests from the levelling experience or the usual stuff.

And removing the whole "collect 1000 nethershards" stuff doesn't mean squat when they are timegating. If you can give me a legitimate reason to timegate when a lot of other games don't/do it by a week at most then I'd love to know. Because this whole "players would just consume content" is a tired old excuse imo among others.

And the 3rd thing was a suggestion. They should take a look at other games and how their events are done so they can learn how to do things like this. Because the invasions on Argus were just glorified scenarios.

And there's the issue. Any criticism to you is "salt".
    There are different ways to formulate criticism. Yours was filled with sarcasm and cynism. Both rub off as salt very very fast in written format.

Can't blame the other guy for calling your first comment salty, because it reads like salt. Even if you want to be critical of things. Wording is key!

Quote Originally Posted by Drynix View Post
    There are different ways to formulate criticism. Yours was filled with sarcasm and cynism. Both rub off as salt very very fast in written format.

Can't blame the other guy for calling your first comment salty, because it reads like salt. Even if you want to be critical of things. Wording is key!
    I'd say my wording is fine but you are entitled to your opinion of course.

Admittedly it comes from frustration because they repeat the same tired old bogus and nothing changes. There's only so many times you can do this.

Everytime they say "oh we know we made a mistake" or something along the lines they barely learn from it.

If before,the island expeditions was a repeatable crap everybody was quite forced to do or the weekly cap,now they are trying to tell the "story" through it? Seriously? Island expedition is a crap,where you make huge pulls and nuke them - no lore background,nothing.

Also:
    "Allied Races
    •The team loves the Allied Race system and thinks it is a strong system.
    •The team does plan to add more Allied Races, but nothing to announce right now."

What they mean by it - "The team loves the cash making by selling recolored reskins through the race change feature".
    Last edited by Felixon; 2019-02-01 at 11:10 AM.

And removing the whole "collect 1000 nethershards" stuff doesn't mean squat when they are timegating.
    Personally I prefer those sort of grind quests than pure time gating. Sure, in essence it's still timegating (through raid lockouts and stuff), but at least you actually have to do something to proceed and unlock the next part of the quest.

This timegated "campaign" quests is probably the feature I dislike the most since WoD. It feels incredibly awful, immersion-breaking, anti-climatic and forced, to play about 1h worth of "main quest" content, only to then have to wait another week to have another 1h worth of the continuation, without any good or believable reason.

I played through all the MoP main quest and even if the grind was a pain at times, it at least was exciting to complete those quests, proceed on the quest and eventually get the legendary cloak as a reward. Ever since WoD started with this weekly "unlocking" of quest parts I stopped completing them. Even though I was actively playing, raiding every week, I felt zero will, motivation or investment in those quests. By time the next part of the quest releases, I don't really remember or care anymore about what I did before on that quest.

It's not that I'm agaisnt content being unlocked over time, especially when it makes sense lore-wise. But it needs to be a reasonable amount of content so that it feels that like it's a stream of content, and not tiny drops with the only perceived reason being to artificially extend player subscriptions.

I thought Limit went alliance and called themselves 'We suck Ion wifes you know what?' or what ever they called themselves before they knew they couldnt game the broken wpvp system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Sounds good. Let's wait and see if they deliver on it.

The focus on world content is something I'm really looking forward to.

It saddens me to learn that there'll be more allied races though. I think we have more than enough. But if we have to have them please don't make them breach faction uniqueness like Void Elves and Nightborne did.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2019-02-01 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Factor View Post
    I thought Limit went alliance and called themselves 'We suck Ion wifes you know what?' or what ever they called themselves before they knew they couldnt game the broken wpvp system.
    Jesus that post gave me some serious brain damage, the hell did you spout this Tauren dung from?

Yay more world quests...

This game is very close to be ported to mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Would anyone be doing the island stuff it not for the terrible necklace you have to baby all expansion? Even needing the azerite power I haven’t touched them in months.. they are just so boring and bad

I don't see his post as salty at all. I for one agree with him, as many do I am sure of that. First Blizzard has a HUGE reputation of NOT listening to its gamers at all. And doing time gated shit like this just proves that for sure. How long do gamers have to go before Blizz listens ? Another 14 years? RIDICULOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Kangumosa View Post
    Jesus that post gave me some serious brain damage, the hell did you spout this Tauren dung from?
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-name-of-Limit

Remember this? It happened not long ago iam surprised you didnt remember

So, they cut an iconic zone, i.e. Crestfall, relegated it to a useless feature, i.e. Island Expeditions, and went ahead with the implementation of a zone with no history, i.e. Mechagon... WTF!

7+ Year Old Account
    "The team loves the Allied Race system and thinks it is a strong system."

I don't know, guys - given how many races that are pumped out, I feel like it takes away the quality on them. Just look at how Nightborne end up. ;_: Not to mention that some people (not me though) complain that they don't like how you obtain them and would rather have them included in the expansion and you can play it from the start. Which I think is fair when you haven't played for ages, then comes a new race that REALLY makes you want to play but you have to play a bunch of other things to even unlock it.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Allied Races
    • The team loves the Allied Race system and thinks it is a strong system.
    • The team does plan to add more Allied Races, but nothing to announce right now.
    Please, no. I really hoped they'd abandon this idea in the future. Seems I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post
    So, they cut an iconic zone, i.e. Crestfall, relegated it to a useless feature, i.e. Island Expeditions, and went ahead with the implementation of a zone with no history, i.e. Mechagon... WTF!
    should have made Argus an island expedition