Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    That image is not offensive to me and I do not believe for a second there's any merit to feel marginalized by it. The person who wrote the piece is a moron and a sad example of what kind of people drive the popular opinion on social issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its bait. Unless the picture is a mining town or the establishment is owned by the great grandchild of a miner then I would bet a pretty dollar the picture was placed just to bait people.
    OP has speculated that said restaurant is a Cornish pasty restaurant- and thus a food with a historic connection to mining.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    OP has speculated that said restaurant is a Cornish pasty restaurant- and thus a food with a historic connection to mining.
    How does it being a Cornish bakery connect it to mining? That's like saying Pizza Hut is connected to the mob because they sell pizza.

Not saying it is or isn't connecting to some sort of mining heritage, the statement you made doesn't prove anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    From the article:

Even after the context is known...the person is still choosing to be offended.
    Went back and read the article.

Why are people spending so much time on trash opinion pieces? Who cares Rashaad Thomas and his random ass opinion in the AZCentral? Now, this guy with a trash opinion who clearly doesn't care about facts is getting tons of article views. If he chooses and is that open about not caring about the facts of the situation then let him live his lala land. He can't force the business to take down the photo. Anyone in their right mind knows theres miners in the photo. Anyone who is 'offended' wasn't going to eat at the place anyway. People are allowed to have dumbass opinions even if those opinions are stupid. Just don't give stupid opinions a platform.

Like what I said in my hot take, its fake outrage coupled with fake outrage.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    How does it being a Cornish bakery connect it to mining? That's like saying Pizza Hut is connected to the mob because they sell pizza.

Not saying it is or isn't connecting to some sort of mining heritage, the statement you made doesn't prove anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Went back and read the article.

Why are people spending so much time on trash opinion pieces? Who cares Rashaad Thomas and his random ass opinion in the AZCentral? Now, this guy with a trash opinion who clearly doesn't care about facts is getting tons of article views. If he chooses and is that open about not caring about the facts of the situation then let him live his lala land. He can't force the business to take down the photo. Anyone in their right mind knows theres miners in the photo. Anyone who is 'offended' wasn't going to eat at the place anyway. People are allowed to have dumbass opinions even if those opinions are stupid. Just don't give stupid opinions a platform.

Like what I said in my hot take, its fake outrage coupled with fake outrage.
    Do a little research and you will find out it was food created so that workers, especially those like miners, could have an easy meal to take with them. There are tons of different foods people eat every day that were created for that very reason. Here in my home state of Tennessee it was Moonpies, it was designed to be a dessert workers and miners could carry with them, eat with one hand, and it not go bad.

That said, I've seen this picture a million times over the years, and its generally always in a restuarant, old country store, or something similar. People hang it because it's a cool old picture from the past that is obviously from a different era. There is nothing racist about it.
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2019-02-01 at 10:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Coal miners having a drink after a long day imo.

Those are miners. It's just more fake outrage clickbait, surprising someone would even read something vomited up by an idiot like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well here it is.

The dumbest s*&t Ill read today.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    Those are miners. It's just more fake outrage clickbait, surprising someone would even read something vomited up by an idiot like this.
    If he just wrote this shit on some no name blog then i prolly would never have heard about it but the fact he posted on a a national newspaper/website well that is why i posted to show this.

Iam a centrist Democrat and its shit like this that really really fucking pisses me off! There is nothing to be gained by saying this shit except clickbait dollars and if old media is now resort to stooping to these low tactics to gain hits then i really do shudder where we are going!

Quote Originally Posted by Two Factor View Post
    If he just wrote this shit on some no name blog then i prolly would never have heard about it but the fact he posted on a a national newspaper/website well that is why i posted to show this.

Iam a centrist Democrat and its shit like this that really really fucking pisses me off! There is nothing to be gained by saying this shit except clickbait dollars and if old media is now resort to stooping to these low tactics to gain hits then i really do shudder where we are going!
    Welcome to the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Welcome to the past decade.
    Is this groundhog day? Are we doomed to make the same mistake over and over until we elect Donald Trump... Oh wait

The sad thing is real journalism is dead and most news reports are glorified blog post.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is why Trump won. (:

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Blackface is a form of theatrical make-up used predominantly by non-black performers to represent a caricature of a black person."

"Caricature: a picture, description, or imitation of a person in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect."

In essence, blackface is offensive because it is used to ridicule or poke fun at black people. A white person whose face is painted black is not in and of itself blackface unless there is that caricature.

Since there is clearly no attempt at creating any kind of caricature in the picture, I contend that it is not blackface. I think that the viewers who have taken offence have lost sight of what it is that causes the offence and are simply being triggered by the fact that it's white people whose faces are blackened. IMO if one doesn't understand why something offends one, one really shouldn't be taking offence.

Just because blackface is offensive does not mean that any image of a white person with a face painted black is offensive.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok i live in Arizona but iam English and i grew up with alot of ancestors who was miners and i come across this article.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...ce/2683881002/

Phoenix restaurant says this is a photo of coal miners. But I see offensive blackface

Here is the image that he found offensive

Apparently he asked for it to be taken down in a Arizona restaurant cause its black face and i cant even begin to tell you how gob smacked iam.

I dont wanna get involved in this shit but this is going way to far and now its becoming something we need to fight back against cause this is getting out of control!
    The overall problem is that life in general is really really good for people in the United States. Therefore, things that would be deemed extremely unimportant during periods of war, famine, plague, lawlessness etc, suddenly become hypersensitive topics because there is nothing else to really complain about.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I don't even consider blackface itself offensive anymore than whiteface, reverse gender acting, etc. There is context to everything: Is it for the sake of satire and comedy? Is it for the sake of acting? Or was it meant to be offensive?

Find the message and purpose before you start calling something offensive and racist.
    That would require having more than two thoughts to run together

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    The overall problem is that life in general is really really good for people in the United States. Therefore, things that would be deemed extremely unimportant during periods of war, famine, plague, lawlessness etc, suddenly become hypersensitive topics because there is nothing else to really complain about.
    Nail on the head. How else are we supposed to crusade against injustice like our noble forebears?

I asked a Latinx and white woman for their opinion
    I got this far and knew I didn't need to read anymore...

10+ Year Old Account

How is "azcentral" a nationally known news site? I would have never known this article existed if you didn't bring attention to it. Random blog posts can become nationally known if people keep showing it to everyone too, y'know? That's basically what this crap is, some hot take blog post from some random nobody in Arizona looking to be offended.

Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    Difference being, hitler and stalin didn't use their mustaches to disparage an entire race.
    Fair point

Blackfaces everywhere

So now coal miners that have come of shift are offensive?
    Honestly humanity doesn't deserve to continue if idiots like this are in control.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT