Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    is it that one guy that gamed the system by using his position as the guy who worked with computer that generated the winning numbers or whatever to rack up over 24 million in winnings? i saw that on american greed.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't the owner of the stolen credit card technically be the legal owner of the ticket, and thus the winnings?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Wouldn't the owner of the stolen credit card technically be the legal owner of the ticket, and thus the winnings?
    do you mean the one who stole it or the one whose name is on it?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Nope. You don't get the stuff purchased when someone steals your credit card. Best case scenario is the fraudulent transactions get refunded.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I seriously wonder if some/most lotteries are actual scams.
    Feels that way sometimes thou personally I’m up around a couple of hundred since I started keeping track

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    The chance of winning anything more than just your expenses is so low that it's not really worth buying it.
    Nobody plays the lottery because they think the odds are good. People buy lottery tickets in spite of the low chance of actually winning big because they hope to buck the odds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Feels that way sometimes thou personally I’m up around a couple of hundred since I started keeping track
    I read a book once where bad gamblers typically describe their results the same way "About even...maybe a little up."
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Should go to whomever owned the card.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really should be banned because people waste money they need on x item.
    you can make that argument about literally anything that isn't food or water. that's basically what your argument boils down to. its failed before and it would fail again. in fact look at all the illegal gambling sites and what not that exist despite the bans on them. of course there should be more money spent on combating addicative gambling.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2019-02-02 at 04:59 AM.

It really should be banned because people waste money they need on such small chance of winning.
    It's their money to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    No she shouldn’t be allowed to keep it, if anything it should go to the person she stole the cards from
    We have a winner.

It should be paid out, just not to the person that bought it using stolen money.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's our money when they need economic assistance due to not knowing how to manage their money.
    that's what part of being a society is about helping those in need. part of that would be establishing systems to deal with those who have addictive personalities.

Honestly I feel the Credit Card company should get the winnings. When purchases are made with a stolen credit card the credit card company has to eat the losses on anything not recovered. Since you can't refund a lottery ticket (especially after the drawing) the credit card company is out the money used to make the purchase. There is precedent for this in that I know that credit card companies do hold auctions (at least in the United States) for goods recovered in this manner in attempt to get their money back.

Don't get me wrong, I have no love for credit card companies but this seems like the proper route.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Proceeds of crime, so obviously the person who stole the credit cards shouldn't get the money.

As for it going to the victim, unfortunately I think that's also not okay. If someone went and bought a TV, you don't keep the TV and also get your money refunded. And most people would not WANT to keep the TV and not get their money back (if they did, they'd have bought it themselves). So unless the law says that you can choose to either get a refund OR keep the items, it should be handled the same way any other transaction would be. Refunded money, no keeping anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who waste their money on lottery tickets, alcohol or tobacco or drugs should not be receiving assistance. They're not in need, they're just refusing to be responsible with their money. That doesn't make them in need.
    enjoy your skyrocketing crime rate.

I would say yes, since money in fungible. Unless she could literally not afford a ticket, she only owes what she stole (and time served). Now if the ticket ITSELF was stolen, no, absolutely not.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who waste their money on lottery tickets, alcohol or tobacco or drugs should not be receiving assistance. They're not in need, they're just refusing to be responsible with their money. That doesn't make them in need.
    You do understand that it's entirely possible to spend your money on those things without being reckless about it right?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    I would say yes, since money in fungible. Unless she could literally not afford a ticket, she only owes what she stole (and time served). Now if the ticket ITSELF was stolen, no, absolutely not.
    Why would she be able to keep a ticket bought with a stolen card after getting caught? If she bought a TV with it she wouldn't get to keep that.

This is just common thinking to easily answer. If they did which they did not than they would be rewarding her with committing theft and fraud. So no she should not keep it if she didnt use her own money to buy the ticket.

10+ Year Old Account
    They pay it out and then take her assets if they know she has stolen credit cards. Having and using stolen credit cards isn't a crime in Canada?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    They pay it out and then take her assets if they know she has stolen credit cards. Having and using stolen credit cards isn't a crime in Canada?
    You really should read the whole story. Kinda answers your question

The 33-year-old suspect, who was taken into custody on Thursday by officers from the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, was charged with two counts of possessing a stolen credit card and five counts of fraud.