Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    https://www.straitstimes.com/world/u...ing-age-to-100

Do you think this is the way to go to get rid of smoking? Seems like something other places should abide by too, to combat smoking.
    Why not just ban them? It would at least be less asinine. Plus this law wont stop people from smoking, they will just order them from online Indian reservations

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    This is a silly idea that would be good for only one group of people, smugglers who would love this.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGodPleaseNo View Post
    How will that effect tourists?

Also horribly addicted smoker here who hates it but can't seem to quit, AMA.
    I assume they'd just buy a bunch and bring all of it with them.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

I think we should just let people do whatever the fuck they want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    I assume they'd just buy a bunch and bring all of it with them.
    But couldn't I just sell them for a silly high price then if I didn't smoke?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    I don't know anyone who smokes because it's cool.
    I know for a fact that most young teens start it because they think it's cool.

Of course, i dont know anyone at my age who smokes because it's cool.
    But they usually started it out of curiosity or just because they'd appear cooler at the age of 15.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I think everyone in the west is aware of what smoking can do to you. But maybe forcing the industry to make sure that it's clear that the product is a serious hazard to ones health on the packaging deters young, uneducated people in less developed countries from starting.
    That might make sense, but studies show the opposite happens. Those big hazard labels seem to increase sales. People are weird I know.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    What do you mean it doesn't work? People get mad because it works. For poor people, it's even easier to not smoke. Nothing extra to pay for.

- - - Updated - - -

But mathematics are simple. If on pack of cigarette says "It damages you and people in your surrounding" and "It causes lung cancer", just by stop smoking itself, it's already a happy end.
    You don't get it. They tried to ban alcohol once. Go look up how that turned out...

While smoking isn't exactly the same situation, it might as well be.

I hate that smoking is prevalent and I'd certainly love to see the practice entirely eliminated, but 'banning' it wouldn't stop people from doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Theres already a pretty large tax on them
    Its a shame too. I remember back in High School, they were 75 cents a pack and you didnt have to ask someone to unlock a cabinet to get a pack. You just picked them up at the checkout next to the gum and candy and put them on the belt with your groceries. Wasnt that long ago either. Late 80s. Sin taxes shouldnt exist because they are never used to stop the sin. They are just spent on the annual budget most times. It just punishes people.

10+ Year Old Account
    finally i can put the elves to use to cornering the market on cigarettes on hawaii.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I think that raising the smoking age to something slightly higher (maybe 25) and putting a very heavy tax on cigarettes would be a better solution. The increased taxes would cover the costs associated with black market activities. Hawaii is an easier place than others for controlling black market trade, so I think they could cut down on smoking if they wanted to.

People should be allowed to smoke if they want to. Their body, their choice.

People should be allowed to addict themselves to opioids, fetanyl, heroin...and other shit, regardless of circumstances, right?
    Case in point: 16-month-old boy given Narcan after ingesting parents' drugs at home

"The child was on the bed playing, and the father noticed that there were several empty baggies — the type used to package heroin — that looked like they had been chewed."

Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood says the father picked up the toddler, who was having trouble breathing and lost consciousness. The father took the boy to Delaware County Memorial Hospital, where he was given Narcan intravenously.

Chitwood says both the father, 43, and the mother, 36, admit to being heroin users. He says the father said he'd shot up five bags of fentanyl the night before. Twelve empty bags were found in the house at 7701 West Chester Pike.

Chitwood points out that it was just last year that a 10-month-old girl died after ingesting fentanyl. The parents of that child were charged with murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    People should be allowed to addict themselves to opioids, fetanyl, heroin...and other shit, regardless of circumstances, right?
    Case in point: [snip]

Chitwood points out that it was just last year that a 10-month-old girl died after ingesting fentanyl. The parents of that child were charged with murder.[/i]
    What kind of weird world do you live in where such an anecdote is an effective argument? I thought about linking an article about some kid choking to death on broccoli, but it's a waste of time - accidents happen. It's not like children being fed narcotics is some kind of epidemic level problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    What kind of weird world do you live in where such an anecdote is an effective argument? I thought about linking an article about some kid choking to death on broccoli, but it's a waste of time - accidents happen. It's not like children being fed narcotics is some kind of epidemic level problem.
    Half a million people die every year due to smoking...and it's legal.

good, cut that shit out.

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Eh, seems ridiculous. Just double the price. Nothing makes people stop smoking faster than not having money to buy food.
    that won't work, crack-whores will occasionally die from malnourishment due to spending money on their drug rather then their food.
    torch the fields, incinerate the product, and bar the sale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Eh, seems ridiculous. Just double the price. Nothing makes people stop smoking faster than not having money to buy food.
    Honey, the prices on cigarettes have doubled. A couple of times.

Also not how addictions work, people will find a way to get them.

What does work are educational advertisements, which is why the rate of smoking has been dropping faster than ever, with it being virtually non-existent by 2050.

Half a million people die every year due to smoking...and it's legal.
    Ya but so is driving, drinking, and fast food.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Ya but so is driving, drinking, and fast food.
    And children tend to be so involved...

And children tend to be so involved...
    What does children have to do with this? You said half a million ppl die each year.