Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yeah "broadcaster" is a broad term that covers everything from colour commentators to people on pre- and post-game shows to hot take artists like Shannon Sharpe and guys breaking down film. I have little respect for anyone but the film breakdown guys. The rest is as you say, educated guesses.

It's funny cause usually the film breakdown guys that are the most reserved in their opinions, coming out more with the facts of what they saw than opinions about what they saw.
    Yeah I've heard some pieces by I think Greg Cosell and his stuff is good, he only goes on what the film tells him and does not seem to make predictions, which is what I want. Another person I do like listening to is Michael Lombardi, outside of that not many I listen to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nick Foles option for 2019 officially got picked up by the Eagles.

I'm not completely up to date with how the Foles situation works with the Eagles, but I *think* this means Foles now has to excercise his own option to buyout his contract for 2 million to become a free agent OR he has to let things stand as is and be at the whims of what the Eagles do with his contract (keep him, trade him, whatever).

Going to be an interesting off season with regards to QB's. Flacco is out there too as a trade target. Several teams will likely look to upgrade at the position and then there's Washington, who are apparently currently going into the offseason with the understanding that Alex Smith is not going to be back this next season.

So, it may be a weak QB class in the Draft, but there's still going to be plenty of drama with QB's anyway.

Nick Foles option for 2019 officially got picked up by the Eagles.

I'm not completely up to date with how the Foles situation works with the Eagles, but I *think* this means Foles now has to excercise his own option to buyout his contract for 2 million to become a free agent OR he has to let things stand as is and be at the whims of what the Eagles do with his contract (keep him, trade him, whatever).

Going to be an interesting off season with regards to QB's. Flacco is out there too as a trade target. Several teams will likely look to upgrade at the position and then there's Washington, who are apparently currently going into the offseason with the understanding that Alex Smith is not going to be back this next season.

So, it may be a weak QB class in the Draft, but there's still going to be plenty of drama with QB's anyway.
    Correct on Foles. He now has 2 options--buy himself out for $2 million and become a free agent (and at the mercy of the franchise tag) or take his $20 million and let the Eagles do as they please.

If he takes option 2, it's all but guaranteed the Eagles told him he's getting franchised then traded and told him to save his money.
    If he takes option 1, it'll certainly become interesting. I'd guess that means he is just going to walk. If they franchise him after that (not a given, as exercising his option is all the Eagles needed to do to get the compensatory pick), it means he's getting traded and also means he just spent $2 million for basically nothing. Given the good relationship they've had with him, that would be a little surprising I guess.
    Last edited by Espo; 2019-02-06 at 01:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    Correct on Foles. He now has 2 options--buy himself out for $2 million and become a free agent (and at the mercy of the franchise tag) or take his $20 million and let the Eagles do as they please.

If he takes option 2, it's all but guaranteed the Eagles told him he's getting franchised then traded and told him to save his money.
    If he takes option 1, it'll certainly become interesting. I'd guess that means he is just going to walk. If they franchise him after that (not a given, as exercising his option is all the Eagles needed to do to get the compensatory pick), it means he's getting traded and also means he just spent $2 million for basically nothing. Given the good relationship they've had with him, that would be a little surprising I guess.
    Hmmmmm, franchise tag is like 25 million though this year. That makes it harder to trade him for the Eagles AND it pays Foles more than just sticking with his 20M buyout.

If I were him, I'd buy myself out. In the case the Eagles do not franchise me, I lose 2 million, but I gain the peace of mind of being able to sign where ever I want and with whatever conditions I want. If they franchise me, I gain about 3 million in cash to make up for the fact I get no choice in where I go.

- - - Updated - - -

Raiders have put themselves in a difficult spot. I don't think they want to be in either stadium, but they have little choice now.

- - - Updated - - -

Nick Foles has let the Eagles know he is voiding the option. That was quick. https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...61574656995329

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how he can do anything except the buyout.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I don't see how he can do anything except the buyout.
    If the Eagles just plan on franchising him, only to trade him, it could be a waste if the team he's traded to just signs him to a long-term deal (by July 16) and voids the tag amount with a big deal. He would be better off just not voiding the deal and keeping his $2 million. Granted, as bad as this sounds, I suppose it becomes a 'who cares?' about $2 million when you're about to get paid big.

If that tag isn't in his future, then yea, he should definitely exercise it (which he did). I'm guessing this is the case, or he has a bad agent or he and the Eagles aren't seeing eye to eye on this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    If the Eagles just plan on franchising him, only to trade him, it could be a waste if the team he's traded to just signs him to a long-term deal (by July 16) and voids the tag amount with a big deal. He would be better off just not voiding the deal and keeping his $2 million. Granted, as bad as this sounds, I suppose it becomes a 'who cares?' about $2 million when you're about to get paid big.

If that tag isn't in his future, then yea, he should definitely exercise it (which he did). I'm guessing this is the case, or he has a bad agent or he and the Eagles aren't seeing eye to eye on this one.
    The tag amount would absolutely play into future negotiations, he doesn't have to sign an extension, he can sign the franchise tag the instant they use it and either get the deal he wants or hold them for $25mil ransom. In that case, better to have $25m guaranteed than $20m.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Falcons have cut CB Robert Alford. Dead cap; $1.2m. Cap Savings; $7.9m

This was...expected. Dude just did not play well this year, in fact I think he was one of the worst performing CBs in the entire year. Allowed the most yards of all corners I think. He had some great moments in our history, the pick 6 in the superbowl too name one. Walk off pick 6 against Washington in OT too name another. But we need cap savings and this needed too happen. Hope he gets a new starting position somewhere else though. Just not in the NFCSouth.
    Last edited by Crackleslap; 2019-02-06 at 03:23 AM.

So, it may be a weak QB class in the Draft
    This is said every year, so I don't know if I buy it. Feels like the talk is always about how much better than next year's class is.

The FA class on the other hand is pretty bad again this year. Fitzpatrick, Tyrod Taylor and Osweiler are probably the best of the ones currently available. Tannehill might be, but I would be surprised because who would they replace him with? Not exactly a great offseason if you want a vet even if you include Flacco, who isn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    This is said every year, so I don't know if I buy it. Feels like the talk is always about how much better than next year's class is.

The FA class on the other hand is pretty bad again this year. Fitzpatrick, Tyrod Taylor and Osweiler are probably the best of the ones currently available. Tannehill might be, but I would be surprised because who would they replace him with? Not exactly a great offseason if you want a vet even if you include Flacco, who isn't very good.
    Also Bridgewater out there too. I never buy into the hype/nonhype on the draft QB class. I mean look how wrong they are on QBs like every year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah this year is a weak class, especially when you look at what's coming likely in 2020.

SF mayor said that in her mind "The Oakland Raiders should play in Oakland"

Yet the San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Yeah, that's why I kept it tentative. It doesn;t have the big names that last year and the year before had. It's basically Dwayne Haskins and a bunch of lesser known guys and even Haskins is only a 1 year starter, who's from a big college, but not THAT well known.

But then the best QB of the past few years was a little known guy from Texas Tech who got picked 10th and we openly questioned what the hell the Chiefs were doing. You never really know with QB's.

In other news, word is making the rounds that the Patriots are signing Greg Schiano as the top defensive guy for the team (unclear whether that means he gets the Defensive coordinator title or not). Between Bret Bielema (the other apparent candidate) and Schiano, I'd prefer Schiano, since he's done more with less talent, but I'm not at ease with Schiano's reputation from his Tampa days. I hope he left that dictatorial shit back there and gets along with everyone now.

Wait, the Raiders said they were gonna play in San Francisco without telling any governmental official in San Francisco about it, or okaying it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Wait, the Raiders said they were gonna play in San Francisco without telling any governmental official in San Francisco about it, or okaying it?
    The Giants ground is privately owned, seems they didn't need permission. Which if it's true is crazy and hella insensitive

Isn't what xskarma posted literally saying the San Francisco mayor is saying they can't use the Giants ballpark?

IE, they'd have to play at the Oakland A's ballpark?

10+ Year Old Account
    They're in a standoff with the Oakland Coliseum and the city of Oakland is suing them. They have no lease, they burned their bridges with Oakland and the city is out for blood. If they end up desperate enough to go back there, their lease will have the price jacked up and the city will still be suing them.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    The Coliseum isn't privately owned though, it's owned by Alameda County. Oracle park is privately owned by a company and as such the local government has no control over its dealings, they can object, but that's about as much weight as yelling at the tide to not come in.

With the city of Oakland suing the Raiders and the NFL, there's no real chance in hell for them to go back for one more year. San Fran's real stopping block is that the Niners haven't given permission as they hold territorial rights, despite not playing in San Francisco. The NFL rules are weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see the Raiders get blocked due to territorial rights after all the shit they pulled over LA territorial rights.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I would love to see the Raiders get blocked due to territorial rights after all the shit they pulled over LA territorial rights.
    If anything the Santa Clara 49ers will block Giants stadium so the Raiders tenant at Levis and they get the sweet sweet rent monies.

Also someone will fill their stadium for once.

Territorial rights is a new one for me........a franchise can block other franchises from playing nearby?

Also, the Santa Clara thing is hilarious - Santa Clara is a suburb of San Francisco.....much like Orchard Park (where New Era Field is) is a suburb of Buffalo, and Foxborough is a suburb of Boston literally 30 miles away from Boston. Many teams don't play within their city limits, because putting a 70k stadium in an urban setting is hard, and expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Hell, the Cowboys play in Arlington.