Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the Void of my sou... Bah, Argentina :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleria Windrunner View Post
    What do people see in him? Enter generic shady villain Number #22. Ugh.

The voice actor is very good, but the character himself? Just another malicious spiritual entity. Yawn.
    Lul. Says the person who idolize the discount Sylvanas with extra shades.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Serious question; Who is Bwonsamdi anyway? He just sort of shows up in Battle for Dazar'alor without any real explanation short of Rastakhan yelling his name. Same with M+ too he's just sort of there because... Reasons?

I'm guessing he's someone you run into a lot as Horde, but as Alliance I've never seen him until this patch and he's already referencing some kind of deal we've supposedly made with him.
    He's the Loa of Death.

Spoilers ahead: Talanji and the merry bunch of Horde work with him to overthrow the Blood God G'Huun and the Loa of Nazmir he's corrupted. Rastakhan even chooses him as his Loa and the kingdom's Loa when his Loa of kings (the t-rex, I forget his name), is corrupted becoming the first boss in Atal'dazar.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Johnwho View Post
    Lul. Says the person who idolize the discount Sylvanas with extra shades.
    Yet another superficial person who knows NOTHING about Alleria Windrunner. If Alleria is just a discount Sylvanas with extra shades, then Sylvanas is just female Arthas.

And there's no reason to insult me and my favourite character. Mine is a legitimate question. Understand that not everyone loves Bwonsamdi.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2019-02-11 at 02:31 PM.

Two dudes with spiky hair. I guess Bwonsamdi must be a discount Vegeta too.
    One is a loa of death, the other is a god of death, both make deals that in turn result in dead. so yeah. aside from that, A LOT of people have tied his appearance to Ryuk. If you havent then no worries but he is based off the loa of death

https://www.wowhead.com/guides/lore-of-bwonsamdi

- - - Updated - - -

The voice actor is very good, but the character himself? Just another malicious spiritual entity. Yawn.
    My guess would be that he interacts with you when you die. when I first saw it, I found it funny and new, then his char grew on you. As the horde you don't really get many options on who to like, you're forced to dislike a few (for the plot) but this one just grows on you.

Two dudes with spiky hair. I guess Bwonsamdi must be a discount Vegeta too.
    ...look, with your special eyes. It's more than just the hair. Their mannerisms are nearly identical. It's close enough to public domain to not be copyright infringement levels of inspiration but it's pretty damned close.

Fuck that guy dude, he tilts me of the face of the planet with his banter once I die and spawn at the spirit healer :>

I don't like him. He's kinda undermining the Lich King in my eyes. We went from Arthas to... this. sadface
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

7+ Year Old Account
    He is one of the only good things to come from BfA. To bad i don't see him making it out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    The obvious reference here is Baron Samedi, who is a few hundred years older than a character from some shitty manga.
    That was my thought.. why discredit an actual worshipped Loa and compare it to an Anime character? haha

Yeah, not a far of him either, aside from the trickster God caricature, he is annoying. Not because he's essentially making fun of me every time I die, but because it gets repetitive. I feel like putting him in place of a spirit healer over exposes him. I'm sick of him just from seeing him so much. If they're grooming him to be a villain, when we do kill him it'll be like "oh, we finally killed that spirit healer interim in-game."

10+ Year Old Account
    In the Void of my sou... Bah, Argentina :D
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    ...look, with your special eyes. It's more than just the hair. Their mannerisms are nearly identical. It's close enough to public domain to not be copyright infringement levels of inspiration but it's pretty damned close.
    Oh my... that vid was cringe AF. Look, the guy is based in Baron Samedi, the Death Loa, but I guess when you like an anime, you see your beloved character everywhere.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    As for Ryuk, I only see similarity in hairstyle. I remember watching anime, but he didn't gave on me any everlasting impression. Bwonsamdi is based on RL Loa thatis Baron samedi.
    Yeah saying he is based off Ryuk feels like a stretch. Bonswamdi has very generic traits that are common in troll culture and Ryuk has the generic traits of a boogey man with a Joker face.

He's hunched over like most trolls, he wears a barbaric fur/pelt skirt, and many monstrous creatures have long claws. The skull face is a direct reference to Baron Samedi besides the name, mannerisms, and everything else. Everything Bwonsamdi wears is typical in troll culture, unless we're suddenly gonna attribute rough appearances to shinigami.

What does feel pretty anime are some BE/Human hairstyles. Also Tyrande's recent power up cinematic was choreographed like a magical girl scene rather than a dark ritual.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Bane-Thunder-God View Post
    He's your spirit guide when you die in Zandalar lool and takes a few pop shots at your character. He's fantastic.
    Not to sound like I'm bragging here but I've genuinely never died in Zandalar. I do play a Paladin though, so the chances of me dying in open world content are pretty small to begin with. I don't have Warmode on either, so I'm probably never going to run into him unless I actually try to kill myself.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    If you frequent MMO champ, which you do.. you would know exactly who he is.
    Obviously not or I wouldn't be asking. I see a lot of praise for him, but he's not an NPC Alliance have really run into much before this patch. We still don't have much in the way of interaction with him outside of the Reaping Affix which he's involved with, but we don't get any explanation on that one at all really. Infested wasn't much better, but we did at least get some lead into it from Brann in Underrot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    His first appearance was at the end of WotLK where he helped reclaiming echo isles, he is patron loa of Darkspear tribe. He also appeared in Vol'Jin's novel. In other words you're really behind with wow lore.
    I'd assume the Darkspear reclaiming the Echo isles was Horde content? Probably not the kind of thing Alliance players would have ever been involved in really. As for the Vol'jin novel, it wasn't in game content, you can't assume everyone has read it. Otherwise we have the situation where an important NPC springs up seemingly from no where that's kind of a big deal, but hasn't ever been established in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    He's the Loa of Death.

Spoilers ahead: Talanji and the merry bunch of Horde work with him to overthrow the Blood God G'Huun and the Loa of Nazmir he's corrupted. Rastakhan even chooses him as his Loa and the kingdom's Loa when his Loa of kings (the t-rex, I forget his name), is corrupted becoming the first boss in Atal'dazar.
    Brief and straight to the point. Thanks .

Why a short summary like this isn't included in game I'll never know. Blizzard obviously expect players to know all about Bwonsamdi, but never bother introducing him to one faction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could name you several characters who, like Bwonsamdi, pretend to master Death and raised several an undead army. I, however, couldn't name you another character who consumed the darkened heart of a dying Naaru.
    Alleria is just spooky Legolas.

5+ Year Old Account

I like him because he has a playful charm. What sets him apart from someone like Helya is that his personality is less predictable and his banter is fun. When you first die, you don't expect your spirit healer to be fishing and trash talking you. Plus he still shows generosity, even if it is self serving.

While this is mostly due to his great VA, he's more successful as a friendly bully to the PC than Nathanos.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Not to sound like I'm bragging here but I've genuinely never died in Zandalar. I do play a Paladin though, so the chances of me dying in open world content are pretty small to begin with. I don't have Warmode on either, so I'm probably never going to run into him unless I actually try to kill myself.
    And that is why. I have always and will always have Warmode on regardless of being outnumbered (I main Alliance). Pvp is where the fun is at. When world questing knowing theres a danger of things kicking off at any minute. It's exciting.

Sometimes at a rare mob you see both factions looking at each other waiting for someone to start some ish lool but sometimes its peaceful and we give each other the chance to kill the mob an wait our turn. Its fantastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    I like him because he has a playful charm. What sets him apart from someone like Helya is that his personality is less predictable and his banter is fun. When you first die, you don't expect your spirit healer to be fishing and trash talk you. Plus he still shows generosity, even if it is self serving.

While this is mostly due to his great VA, he's more successful as a friendly bully to the PC than Nathanos.
    First time I died on my mage after I blinked off a cliff in Nazmir he popped up and said "Dat blink didn't get ya very far, did it??" It was hilarious.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    First time I died on my mage after I blinked off a cliff in Nazmir he popped up and said "Dat blink didn't get ya very far, did it??" It was hilarious.
    Exactly, I don't mind characters that behave this way. His comments are funny and often rightfully deserved

I can imagine getting annoyed by it if you die alot from pvp tho

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Exactly, I don't mind characters that behave this way. His comments are funny and often rightfully deserved

I can imagine getting annoyed by it if you die alot from pvp tho
    Also if you die soon after your first death doesnt he say something like "Didn't expect to see you so soon?"?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Also if you die soon after your first death doesnt he say something like "Didn't expect to see you so soon?"?
    I think so, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't die often enough to know