Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What qualifications should be ..

What qualifications should be to run for political office?

1. To be a Natural Born Citizen
    2. To be at least 35
    3. To hold no private position that conflicts with the office.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    4. A basic understandings of civics and American history
    5. Basic empathy
    6. The ability to make it at least a week without telling a baldfaced lie.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    5 and 6 would be really hard to quantify.

Anyway:

7. have humor and be able to laugh
    8. decent understanding of technology
    You really posted something about how being able to tell the truth and having empathy being hard to quantify, yet you suggest having a sense of fucking humor. really!?

No we actually could use a hell of a lot less people with a sense of humor over having objective empathy and knowing how to tell the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    5 and 6 would be really hard to quantify.

Anyway:

7. have humor and be able to laugh
    8. decent understanding of technology
    Empathy is hard to quantify, but when a politician acts like a comedian is easy? FYI... comedy is far more subjective than empathy.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Adam Jensen was the first one to be ambiguous. I'm not guilty, Mr. David Serif.
    I didn't realize quantization was required in this discussion.

I wasn't approaching the question from a legal standpoint. Obviously things like empathy or truthfulness can't be fully measured or codified into law. But they should be a part of one's judgement when picking which candidate to support.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Adam Jensen was the first one to be ambiguous. I'm not guilty, Mr. David Serif.

PS: gonna leave the topic so it develops in full seriousness from now on. Apologies for the small interjection.
    Thank you Vlad, might I add that Vampires should for sure not be allowed to run for office.

9. A successful career in competitive martial arts, WWE qualifies
    10. Should be able to tame wild animals and make them do it's bidding.
    11. speak and write at least seven different languages and three dead languages.

for any political office? I think current requirements are appropriate for the various offices.

1. Have at least 4 years of military service.
    2. Be a wealthy property owner.
    3. Have two parents who are natural born citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Be a citizen.

Thats it, nothing else should be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    1. Have at least 4 years of military service.
    3. Have two parents who are natural born citizens.
    Only the rich and those who served the US imperiaal goals can run lol.
    What a nice democracy.

I would add be below 65 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Only the rich and those who served the US imperiaal goals can run lol.
    What a nice democracy.
    I don't want a democracy, I want a constitutional polity that borrows from an aristocracy and a democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I don't want a democracy, I want a constitutional polity that borrows from an aristocracy and a democracy.
    So you want the democratic version of feudalism with a bonus of imperialism, sounds nice. And nobody who opposes it can run, its water tight at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    So you want the democratic version of feudalism with a bonus of imperialism, sounds nice. And nobody who opposes it can run, its water tight at least.
    No I want this:

I want a constitutional polity that borrows from an aristocracy and a democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Raise the age to 40.

Must have held an elected position. We're no longer in the 1700s.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

This is a pretty terrible condition, given that it guarantees that a leader has little vested interested in the majority of their constituents or their lives. This is kind of precisely why the founders went with our entire system of government that allows the common man to become a leader, after seeing how the aristocracy and rule of the elite turned out back home. Pretty much all of Europe collectively came to the same conclusion and diminished the power of / threw out / killed their leaders, too.

For my own idea of qualifications, I really don't care about natural born citizenship. There's nothing that inherently says the guy who was shit out in a dumpster behind an Alabama Wal-Mart is more loving of our country than someone originally from X foreign country that worked hard to get here and make something of himself. US citizenship, maybe residency for some amount of time, that's about all that I can think of that matters. It should follow the same principles capitalists love: instead of regulating who can play the game, open it up and let the free market of democracy decide who gets to lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    This is a pretty terrible condition, given that it guarantees that a leader has little vested interested in the majority of their constituents or their lives. This is kind of precisely why the founders went with our entire system of government that allows the common man to become a leader, after seeing how the aristocracy and rule of the elite turned out back home. Pretty much all of Europe collectively came to the same conclusion and diminished the power of / threw out / killed their leaders, too.

For my own idea of qualifications, I really don't care about natural born citizenship. There's nothing that inherently says the guy who was shit out in a dumpster behind an Alabama Wal-Mart is more loving of our country than someone originally from X foreign country that worked hard to get here and make something of himself. US citizenship, maybe residency for some amount of time, that's about all that I can think of that matters. It should follow the same principles capitalists love: instead of regulating who can play the game, open it up and let the free market of democracy decide who gets to lead.
    Yup, will be pretty funny watching these FREEDOM LOVING, CONSTITUTIONALISTS show their true colors in this thread. So utterly predictable. Like the wealthy land owner comment...LOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Must have held an elected position. We're no longer in the 1700s.
    So you need to have held political office before you're allowed to be a candidate for a political office?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    So you need to have held political office before you're allowed to be a candidate for a political office?
    I assumed we were talking about POTUS.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    The ability to bring up politicians on the other side of the political spectrum or leaders of other nation's without resorting to creating an insulting nickname.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)