View Poll Results: Are you easily offended?

Voters
165. This poll is closed
  • Yes I'm easily offended.

13 7.88%
  • No, I'm not easily offended.

152 92.12%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm a hypocrite, I don't like be to offended, luckily for me people can't read me and gotcha moments are pretty rare. At the same time I love to rub people the wrong way, and luckily for me I can read people pretty well. I don't like to be mean though, just a little teasing.

They're giving Chris Pratt hell now, the SJWs. Something about he goes to church so that must mean he hates gays.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

That's what happens when nerds inherit the Earth. And that's not a joke, or a pun, or a slight on the old movie saying "nerds shall inherit the Earth." It came to fruition, nerds DID inherit the Earth. Complete automation led to every person in developed countries HAVING to learn and master computer skills. Hell, people now carry a computer in their back pocket, people adapted seamlessly, so everyone in the world who is constantly on their phone (and that's what, the majority in first world countries) is by definition, a nerd.

Without stigmatizing the term "nerd", nerds are in fact PC, they're generally intellectual, don't like vulgarity or crass jokes, are pretty intrinsic, home bodies and are therefore, sensitive and not thick skinned.

90's cable television was like the wild west of television--racy, PG 13 content dominated it, but when cable and then streamed devices became standard TV, it's now no different than network TV. You can't see racy content unless it's PPV (HBO, Showtime.) So generally, that's what the younger millennials were exposed to in the 2000's. Millennials span from early 1980's to mid to late 90's, and most people don't realize this, but there are two groups of millennials, the younger decade, and the older decade who are similar but different. The old millennials experienced the 90's television, and 90's culture--we're talking hardcore rap music, thug life, heavy metal, rock'n roll, some Christian rock (remember Creed?), etc. The younger millennials experienced pop music, more similar to what we have today, total transition to PC culture. That's why you might meet two millennials who are totally different, but likewise, more or less, nerds in today's society where if you don't know how to use a PC or mobile device, you struggle with even the most basic tasks.

But yeah, my point is, nerds inherited the world due to total and complete automation, and if nerds run the world and nerds are culturally-sensitive and also thin-skinned, it's not that they WANT to be offended--they ARE offended.

But hey, cultural norms shift with ever decade. The 1960's was arguably the inaugural decade of teenage angst, rebellion and depth. The baby boomer generation hippie clashed with their parents on generally everything. Then turned around and had Gen X children of the 70's and 80's who turned around and thought their baby boomer parents were square. Fast forward to late 80's and 90's parents (your and my parents if you're 30 something or younger), and keep going, you have the same clash. Children of post world war America were more or less similar culturally. Children of post world war II changed, and so forth.

Young adult and teenage behaviors shift and change culturally with the times. Who knows what societal norms will be like in the 2020's and 2030's when an automated world is no longer a big deal, and using a computer or having one in your back pocket isn't cool or impressive. When these smart phones peak technologically, people will get bored and look for different mediums of entertainment for their streamed services--perhaps looking back to old racy cable TV programs and think "sex does sell, violence is entertaining" and look for that on their programming. That'll in turn expose people to racier language, making them thick-skinned.

Also, continued assimilation of races and over-exposure to other religions will take emphasis off racism as people begin to look the same, and think the same (the number of atheists continues to grow.) When transgenders, and gays, or what have you are and no longer feel like second class citizens, they might not be easily offended anymore by terms we considered insulting or vulgar today, as long as they don't come from a context of hatred. This is all speculative and spit balling but history is evidence or cultural norms changing every decade to 30 years based on political, economical and technological climates.

My point is, just ride out the PC wave and hope it ends sooner than later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    I think we should go back to the good old days, where if someone said something that upset me we could go outside and duel with pistols, not like today, where everyone overreacts.
    Sign me the fuck up! As soon as someone gets offended and you retort with "you wanna take this outside?" They'd shut the hell up and eventually learn to keep their mouths shut. Bring it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know it's hard to believe, but sometimes people aren't just faking being offended.

Also, a lot of the people who hate on others for being "easily offended" are themselves some of the thinnest skinned individuals in this world. Look at the alt right and how much they complain about easily offended snowflakes, then will go on and whine about how much they're constantly being attacked when no one is even attacking them.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Yes and no.

Sometimes it's warranted, sometimes it's not. It tends to be easy to tell them apart. I'd rather people care than grow so cold they stop caring about social justice.

Personal opinion: We've gone so long without a world war that people are looking for any and all ways to wage identity politics and small scaled wars against "them!!"...

I'm tired of some people getting outraged over something or other when it's not even what they think it is or they're reading into something beyond what anyone thought.

Like I'm reading a post shared by a family member about some new outrage and it's a shirt... someone saw it and assumed racism and thus had to start some rant about a boycott, I go look at it and the only 'racial' thing I see is that it's black history month and this person found a shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    I get what you're trying to point out with this image, but - not giving someone a job is not a crime. Not giving them a job because of their sexuality or skin colour is a crime. It's not as broad as you're trying to make it out to be, police aren't knocking on doors asking for knives and if you genuinely believe that current UK is anything akin to the concept of 1984, then 1984 was lost on you and you're probably going to be one of the first to fall in line.
    police aren't knocking on doors asking for knives
    lol that reminds me of the videos of police just wandering into peoples homes uninvited.
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”

Have you considered the possibility that people actually care about things, and aren't just pretending to do so to personally annoy you or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I'm tired of some people getting outraged over something or other when it's not even what they think it is or they're reading into something beyond what anyone thought.

Like I'm reading a post shared by a family member about some new outrage and it's a shirt... someone saw it and assumed racism and thus had to start some rant about a boycott, I go look at it and the only 'racial' thing I see is that it's black history month and this person found a shirt.
    Uh...are you actually going to say what the shirt was, or do you consider that detail unimportant for some reason?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    I think we should go back to the good old days, where if someone said something that upset me we could go outside and duel with pistols, not like today, where everyone overreacts.
    Wait. You're complaining about people overreacting, and thing the solution is to murder them?

Are...are you not listening to yourself?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Yes, this world has become rotten. When basic humor starts to offend people so much to ban it..
    You know humor doesn't have to be racist, right?
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post

So you are outraged about people being outraged? Hypocrite much...

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    They're giving Chris Pratt hell now, the SJWs. Something about he goes to church so that must mean he hates gays.
    The church in question tortures gay kids.

Do any of you people actually read about why people are upset about this stuff, or do you just assume that the concerns of anyone that isn't you are invalid?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I just want to clarify, while I am easily offended, there is a fine line between being offended, and thinking because you are offended others are obligated to DO something about just because.

I am offended by most things and most people, however the only time I think anyone should be obligated to DO something about it, is when everyone has all agreed to a standard and someone isn't abiding by that, while another is given a free pass. I will admit that is because of my bias, but i openly embrace that.
    Sure, but you are obligated to do something about conditions and actions that are causing or lead to material harm to people. And most of the stuff you guys whine about people being offended about fit that category.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i don't like weak willed people of any variety.

filth that tries to ban speech should be shipped off to china or cuba or something, let them live in their paradise.
    So you hate "weak-willed" people so much that you want to exile people rather than take the effort to formulate a coherent argument?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I am aware that none of you are going to actually address any of my points here (see my signature). But that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be said.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Generation Snowflake has changed my stance on abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post

Do any of you people actually read about why people are upset about this stuff, or do you just assume that the concerns of anyone that isn't you are invalid?

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but you are obligated to do something about conditions and actions that are causing or lead to material harm to people. And most of the stuff you guys whine about people being offended about fit that category.

- - - Updated - - -

So you hate "weak-willed" people so much that you want to exile people rather than take the effort to formulate a coherent argument?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I am aware that none of you are going to actually address any of my points here (see my signature). But that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be said.
    Your post is a nice sight for sure.

And my dad had this hypothesis where he believes that people these days only see the headlines of topics and then they form their opinions based on what others are saying about said thing. As we all know, people feeling the strongest about a topic tend to be the loudest. Hence echo chambers and information bubbles.

I am offended.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Help yourself. Here is a list of drugs to choose from and get a therapist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ic_medications

there's a fundamental difference between us that cannot be reconciled.

they want a society of authoritarian thought policing, i want a society as free as possible from that very thing. i would happily ship them to countries where they get exactly what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Your post is a nice sight for sure.

And my dad had this hypothesis where he believes that people these days only see the headlines of topics and then they form their opinions based on what others are saying about said thing. As we all know, people feeling the strongest about a topic tend to be the loudest. Hence echo chambers and information bubbles.
    I think that's part of it, but even more than that, most people don't care enough about this stuff to do more than a cursory glance. Like how far down the rabbit hole do you expect people to go?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is some next level shit... are you saying you have an issue with people who are offended for the sake of being offended? Because being tired of it to start a thread on the subject, seems identical to being offended by it. Pretend that people that are offended, are just tired of what ever is causing the offense. I would expect for people to think shit through, so they don’t end up in such a strange predicament. But... this is the internet... first thought wins.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Uh...are you actually going to say what the shirt was, or do you consider that detail unimportant for some reason?
    It's a t-shirt that says hang loose. no imagery except for a noose alongside some scribbled looking font. The only thing racial about the whole mess I saw was someone tried to tie it to the fact that it's February and they know black people gotten lynched via hanging... a rather pointless link since everyone round the world has experienced the phenomenon of hanging by the neck until death as either a punishment or self inflicted means of handling issues.

Poor taste? very much so. Racist? about as racist as that coal miners photo that was doing it's rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ghathwathar View Post
    So you are outraged about people being outraged? Hypocrite much...
    I'm tired.... not outraged

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I think you got the wrong guy I don’t generally complain that people are offended unless they happen to be offensive typically on purpose.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis