Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    So...what if I already pay and log in with one? Really hoping their devs aren't morons on this one.

Im sure somebody will come out with a tamper monkey script that will work.
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    Thats when I just started using mmochamp on mobile. I certainly was either installing an adblock (which I did) or I wasnt going to continue use. Your gotcha moment has fallen flat. Let me make something clear just in case it wasn't. I use absolutely 0 services which force an ad on me. Not a single one. If im tricked and see one I will never use said service again. My mental health is more important.
    So you literally have a mental breakdown any time you drive? Take a taxi? Use the subway? Walk down the street? There are ads every where. If an ad makes you go bat shit crazy you shouldn't even have access to the internet let alone be free to wander around unsupervised.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    And why would spotify give a single fuck if all the adblock users left, they have lost no money anyway...
    And I can start torrenting and downloading the music instead and then never buy the music at all.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

The thing that put me off liking Spotify recently was the really annoying quality street advert over Xmas where some guy was chewing a quality street in my ears for about 10 seconds.

Haven't used it since hearing that ad a few times!

So I decided to "document" what Spotify does for a free user when it comes to the ads. I started with the first ad, and ended after the last ad of the 2nd "ad break". First break was 3 ads (22s, 22s, 30s), then played 4 songs (5:42, 3:29, 3:54, 4:37; or 17:42 minutes), then they played 5 ads (16s, 30s, 16s, 16s, 15s). So for every approximately 15 minutes of music, you get around 90 seconds of ads. When compared to TV, it isn't too bad (30 minute timeslot has 22 minutes of show, 8 minutes of ads. 30 minutes of music gets you 3 minutes of ads). However, TV ads aren't basically the same ad for the entire commercial break (of those 8 ads, 6 of them were telling me it's the final moments to get premium for free for 60 days).

10+ Year Old Account
    My 70yo dad uses ad block and he didnt hear about it from me. get out of here with that shit. I fix computers alot for my side job and its very rare to encounter a PC without adblock. Ill give you this tho, alot of people on Mac seem not to know about it because I rarely get a Mac with adblock installed on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats when I just started using mmochamp on mobile. I certainly was either installing an adblock (which I did) or I wasnt going to continue use. Your gotcha moment has fallen flat. Let me make something clear just in case it wasn't. I use absolutely 0 services which force an ad on me. Not a single one. If im tricked and see one I will never use said service again. My mental health is more important.

- - - Updated - - -

So you disagree with scientists?
    Depends, do you have any fonts that can support your claim?
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    And I can start torrenting and downloading the music instead and then never buy the music at all.
    If you are using ad block of free Spotify you were never paying to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

My 70yo dad uses ad block and he didnt hear about it from me. get out of here with that shit. I fix computers alot for my side job and its very rare to encounter a PC without adblock. Ill give you this tho, alot of people on Mac seem not to know about it because I rarely get a Mac with adblock installed on it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

So you disagree with scientists?
    Cool story. Your 70 year old dad is the exception. I used to work in digital publishing where one of the main revenue sources was digital advertising. Adblock was such a minimal problem it wasn't even worth spending money on one of those shitty pop ups that block content until you turned it off.

As for your mental health, you should avoid most of the internet then. You don't know how easy it is to guide people experience and make them more money than they planned on shit they didn't need.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    And why would spotify give a single fuck if all the adblock users left, they have lost no money anyway...
    Because then Spotify loses number of unique visitors to their site or whatever, so they have less popularity meaning advertisers pay less potentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Because then Spotify loses number of unique visitors to their site or whatever, so they have less popularity meaning advertisers pay less potentially.
    Advertisers pay for impressions or clicks. The way ad systems count impressions changed 2 years ago as per IAB standards (Basically you have to see the ad for it to count as an impression, so if you don't scroll down far enough on a page to see an ad at the bottom it won't count it). Ad block users cannot count as an impression or clicks so it won't effect there bottom line on revenue. It may affect there sales team but that is debatable at best.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    Do you want to lose millions of users to other platforms? because that's how you lose millions of users to other platforms.
    Their webplayer audience is small. Let alone those who use adblock on the webplayer.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    Found the person who likes to steal.

If you like something, pay for it. Don't be a thief. You're listening to music that people want to get paid for, and you have the audacity to portray Spotify as the villain? Get bent, dude.
    LOL Do people still believe using adblock is stealing?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    $10 is quite a bit more than the cost of a drink.
    Not in Sweden, it isn't.
    Hi

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No one's talking about drinking at home.

- - - Updated - - -

Thing is, when you're going out to drink, you're not just paying for the drink, you're paying for the locale, the bartender, possibly the music at the club as well.. so naturally, you won't have to pay for that at home.

... unless you throw some very fancy house parties

I understand why they are doing this, but I'm curious if it's a wise decision considering the massive pressure they are under from competitors, this could come back and bite them in the ass in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    But I'm getting penalized for others actions

And I actually wouldn't give a shit if they said we're changing it to an add every 15 mins. It's the fact its advertised as 1 add every 30 minutes and in reality its closer to 3 on repeat per 15 mins. It's a scummy move

- - - Updated - - -

It's note quite the same though is it.

Spotify and itunes was natural evolution from hard copies + competition. Add blocker is a free piece of software designed to prevent adds which most of the time is completely justifiable. MMO for example is a fucking cancerous cesspit without add blocker. But when a company has a "single" add which it lets you know about every 30 minutes its justifiable. It's not like add block is hurting them through competition, it's hurting them by potentially stopping their revenue, which in turns means we get more likely to lose the service and get some more restrictions in.
    No single situation is ever exactly the same, you will always have an difference.

We have addblockers because of the internet based industry pushed for so many adds that allot of websites and services became unusable. We never liked the adds, that basic premise is the same with CD's. We as a consumer never really liked buying CD's, we where forced to because we enjoyed the media.

If web based companies want to survive addblockers they need to adept. They got big because they offered a free service, then to be profitable they logically introduced a sub model and adds but people don't like adds.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Their webplayer audience is small. Let alone those who use adblock on the webplayer.
    What if I use router level add blocking via a DNS black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    What if I use router level add blocking via a DNS black hole.
    Pretty sure that would be stupidly easy to detect. All they would need to do is ping the Ad pathway, and if they mysteriously get no response back, they nail you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    Do you want to lose millions of users to other platforms? because that's how you lose millions of users to other platforms.
    If you aren't contributing to their revenue, then you aren't really a "user". You are a parasite sucking up their resources and bandwith.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Pretty sure that would be stupidly easy to detect. All they would need to do is ping the Ad pathway, and if they mysteriously get no response back, they nail you.
    Yeah, but this leads to the few things:

1. What if I'm using someone else's WiFi, who has this setup. Everyone on the WiFi gets banned ?

2. This is not a modification to their software in any way. This is a modification to my equipment, which I have the full right to do.

3. Blocking some DNS requests may be a valid security practice, and may have nothing to do with add blocking on Spotify. What, now they ban everyone with tight network security ?