View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Just to remove that misunderstanding, this isn't a matter of the UK. This is a matter of the EU and the UK. I don't care if the UK thinks this is all domestic and has nothing to do with the EU, but "leaving the EU" involves the EU by definition. And as a EU citizen, I very much will comment on this topic. These kinds of misconceptions are not my problem, but I will keep pointing them out, just so people understand why I have little sympathy with Brexiteers once reality hits them in the guts.
    Our reasons for leaving are an internal matter. Unless you actually live here you don't know what the reasons for leaving might be. Most of your comments exhibit a spectacular amount of ignorance, the inverse of Farage et al with his monomaniacally stupid worldview.

Every Germany I talked to is less concerned with their taxmoney and more concerned with ending this madness. If need be, by letting the UK crash out. The common notion is that "pain is a useful lesson" sometimes.
    I have no idea how it will play out in the UK, or anywhere else for that matter. But at least March 19th, which is not that far away, seems at this point to be a hard deadline. This current drama has been going on way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by ghathwathar View Post
    Our reasons for leaving are an internal matter. Unless you actually live here you don't know what the reasons for leaving might be. Most of your comments exhibit a spectacular amount of ignorance, the inverse of Farage et al with his monomaniacally stupid worldview.
    Where have I commented on the internal reasons to leave? But since you're asking now... here's my "Slant's analysis of why Brexiteers want to leave the EU":

It boils down to these 4 reasons:

1. EU is nazi.
    2. Unicorns!
    3. Fuck the UK Government.
    4. Empire.

I think that covers pretty much every internal argument Brexiteers have. Note that "unicorns" is a summary of "it'll be better outside the EU" and all its derivative arguments.

Feel free to add or correct me on those arguments.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Where have I commented on the internal reasons to leave? But since you're asking now... here's my "Slant's analysis of why Brexiteers want to leave the EU":

It boils down to these 4 reasons:

1. EU is nazi.
    2. Unicorns!
    3. Fuck the UK Government.
    4. Empire.

I think that covers pretty much every internal argument Brexiteers have. Note that "unicorns" is a summary of "it'll be better outside the EU" and all its derivative arguments.

You are confusing the arguments of leading Brexit politicians with the actual reasons people voted Brexit. You think someone like Farage is influential: he isn't, his party gets 2% of the vote in a general election. This is one of about a hundred reasons you are out of your depth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I have no idea how it will play out in the UK, or anywhere else for that matter. But at least March 19th, which is not that far away, seems at this point to be a hard deadline. This current drama has been going on way too long.
    Expect it to get mucn worse. No one is in control of the process.

So it is impossible to read UK newspapers, watch UK television or talk to UK citizens about say Brexit unless you are actually physically present in the UK? I guess you learn something new every day.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    That’s quite simple just look at the posts spouting nonsense about brexit being a positive thing and there you have it.
    Very amiss of you not to give an example of such nonsense, let me help...here follows the G7 2018 GDP growth figures...

US: 3%
    Canada: 2.1%
    UK: 1.3%
    Germany: 1.1%
    France: 0.9%
    Italy: 0.1%
    Japan: 0%

Them remainers won't like that...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

If you want to discuss the reasons for leaving exclusively among British citizens find a non-international forum and make a thread about it.
    This thread here is on an international forum and according to the title it is about the negotiations, not about whatever reasons the UK'S politicans might have had for their derangement.

If you want to discuss the reading of minds then this is not the place for you, maybe try the "fun stuff" sub-forum.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2019-02-12 at 08:33 PM.

You missed "less brown people" and/or "less people that speak foreign"

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    You missed "less brown people" and/or "less people that speak foreign"
    That is included under "Unicorns!".

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    That is included under "Unicorns!".
    Ahh, my mistake

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Very amiss of you not to give an example of such nonsense, let me help...here follows the G7 2018 GDP growth figures...

Did you miss the fact that 24 of the EU states have GDP growth higher than us at the moment? Of course you did; Brexiteers all cherry pick data and ignore things that don't agree with their world view. The strange glasses they wear that lets them see unicorns also stop them seeing facts.

But feel free to keep posting lies and nonsense. Because if you didn't, you wouldn't post anything at all.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

You are confusing the arguments of leading Brexit politicians with the actual reasons people voted Brexit. You think someone like Farage is influential: he isn't, his party gets 2% of the vote in a general election. This is one of about a hundred reasons you are out of your depth.
    Ok, give me the actual reasons people voted Brexit. If I can name any of the 4 reasons to summarize whatever you say, I win.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is the December overview from your very own Office for National Statistics:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/gross...k/december2018

4. Annual GDP growth was the lowest since 2012, at 1.4%
    So, please hype it up as much as you like, but this is the lowest growth you've had since coming out of the 2008 financial crisis. CONGRATULATIONS! Deceiver.
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-02-12 at 11:49 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

7+ Year Old Account
    Ok, give me the actual reasons people voted Brexit. If I can name any of the 4 reasons to summarize whatever you say, I win.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is the December overview from your very own Office for National Statistics:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/gross...k/december2018

So, please hype it up as much as you like, but this is the lowest growth you've had since coming out of the 2008 financial crisis. CONGRATULATIONS! Deceiver.
    No deceit at all. I wonder who said this last week?

“The UK is currently enjoying the longest unbroken quarterly growth streak of any G7 nation, growth of 1.4% in 2018 means the UK has grown every year for the past 9 years, and the OBR expects it to continue growing in every year of the forecast."

Any guesses? Well...

The Rt Hon Phillip Hammond Mp,
    Chancellor of the Exchequer,
    President of the "We must remain in the EU at any cost" UK school of negotiating.

Brexit facts, not remain fiction. Courtesy of me, no thanks needed.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

This site seems to have a different take on this than you
    https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-econ...wth-within-g7/

The debate in more recent years has been about whether the UK is growing fast enough, and one measure for that is how it’s doing compared to similar advanced economies.

In April to June 2018, the UK economy was about 1.2% bigger than it was in the same period a year earlier. That’s relatively small, and growth was regularly over 2% in 2014 and 2015.

It’s also relatively small compared to the rest of the G7. Over the same period the US grew 2.9%, ahead of Germany and Canada on 1.9%. Only Italy grew slower at 1.15%.
    Of course i have no facts, just a randmoly googled article [edit:] aso obviously it is not the full 2018 it is talking about for obvious reasons
    Last edited by Xarkan; 2019-02-13 at 05:11 AM.

Where on earth are you getting your statistics from, Mr D?

Japan: 0% growth

I literally can't find a single source to back this up.

1.4% (2015) 1.0% (2016) 1.7% (2017e) 1.0% (2018f)

Also, 2018 GDP growth figures are only forecasts at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    This site seems to have a different take on this than you
    https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-econ...wth-within-g7/

Of course i have no facts, just a randmoly googled article [edit:] aso obviously it is not the full 2018 it is talking about for obvious reasons
    To be honest, most economists do. Heck, sometimes his own sources do. He just picked out datapoints that support his argument of the Anglo-Saxon sphere being more prosperous than the EU (and Japan, since the EU just struck a deal with that country), since that makes Brexit looks better. It's a technique called slanting, and news agencies use it all the time to push the narratives they want without deliberately lying. Though he is also not above using flat-out false data, too.

No deceit at all. I wonder who said this last week?

“The UK is currently enjoying the longest unbroken quarterly growth streak of any G7 nation, growth of 1.4% in 2018 means the UK has grown every year for the past 9 years, and the OBR expects it to continue growing in every year of the forecast."

Any guesses? Well...

The Rt Hon Phillip Hammond Mp,
    Chancellor of the Exchequer,
    President of the "We must remain in the EU at any cost" UK school of negotiating.

Brexit facts, not remain fiction. Courtesy of me, no thanks needed.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4063276.html

Philip Hammond one day ago. Also, the Pound lost a cent on the dollar since then due to the numbers released by the ONS. See, the funny bit is... you're talking about unicorns once more, while I can just point to the ACTUAL currency exchange rate and go "is that your unicorn?"

Let me guess, it's the fault of the bankers, right? They're just not getting you. Everyone else is doing this wrong, if they just... you know, threw money at the UK, things would be right. Why? Because you deserve it. Am I right? Laughable at best.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Shadow Priest View Post
    Where on earth are you getting your statistics from, Mr D?

Japan: 0% growth

I literally can't find a single source to back this up.

1.4% (2015) 1.0% (2016) 1.7% (2017e) 1.0% (2018f)

Also, 2018 GDP growth figures are only forecasts at the moment?
    At your service...

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1095408652884893696

Keep drinking that gin!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4063276.html

Philip Hammond one day ago. Also, the Pound lost a cent on the dollar since then due to the numbers released by the ONS. See, the funny bit is... you're talking about unicorns once more, while I can just point to the ACTUAL currency exchange rate and go "is that your unicorn?"

Let me guess, it's the fault of the bankers, right? They're just not getting you. Everyone else is doing this wrong, if they just... you know, threw money at the UK, things would be right. Why? Because you deserve it. Am I right? Laughable at best.
    Remainer in chief Philip Hammond back to his usual project fear mantra, quite often facts get in his way as I have quoted which clearly shows the drag effect, like a ball and chain, the EU has on the UK economy. And a whole cent down on the dollar in a day? Well whoop di doo great for our exports no?

At your service...

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1095408652884893696

Keep drinking that gin!
    You might want to check if a tweet is correct before you form an argument around it, especially in this case, as only 1 of the 6 figures presented is accurate

Edit - nvm all 6 were wrong
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-02-13 at 12:01 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    You might want to check if a tweet is correct before you form an argument around it, especially in this case, as only 1 of the 6 figures presented is accurate

Edit - nvm all 6 were wrong
    I was trying to keep it simple for simple folk.

Perhaps you could take your economic genius here... https://tradingeconomics.com/