Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    RIP WoW, it was nice to know you.
    LOL

Some people....I guess they're going to put more money into Warcraft to cancel it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorgulon View Post
    YES! I was looking for someone to comment on that line, hoping I wasn't the only one that saw it! Thank you!
    "Because we only made inconceivable amounts of money, but we could make even more inconceivable amounts of money, we're gonna fire a whole 8% for staff!"
    I think it's more the case that some people simply did not deliver what they were meant to do. Making money does not means you need workforce that does nothing of use.

20% increase in investment, no layoffs at development and concentrating on big own franchises... sounds at least better for wow than other statements i expected. even when very very small, there is hope for a better understanding of how wow should evolve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bobby Kotick is the scum of the Earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    You would think that they would work harder to make those games successful instead of just abandoning them.
    IMO, some stuff just needs to be abandoned or put on life support. HoTS, Starcraft II and Diablo 3 are a good example of games that have outlived their usefulness. D3 and Starcraft II are simply games that reached their conclusion and HoTS is a niche dead end.

They need good new blood in their games portfolio, not try and drag dying horse for another year or two before it inevitably fllps.

They need new Diablo game, new Starcraft game and hell maybe new IP too. I am personally happy they want to push Diablo forward, hopefully new game announcement soon that is not played on phone.

People saying "RIP wow" can't read. If anything, wow comes out on top with the 20% extra resources added. Also, layoffs were non-development stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    You would think that they would work harder to make those games successful instead of just abandoning them.
    That's the part that makes me scratch my head...

They say they're reducing those that don't meet expectations.... but then go on to say Warcraft and Diablo are a priority - when clearly either of those has NOT met expectations at all. >_<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I think it's more the case that some people simply did not deliver what they were meant to do. Making money does not means you need workforce that does nothing of use.
    Except for shareholders there is no amount that will ever suffice. They want infinite growth which sooner or later becomes unsustainable and i think the earnings call in 2019 will be very interesting.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    "Layoffs at Blizzard are limited to non-development teams,"

Well that means no resourcing impact on WoW, and the fact they are putting their focus back into internally owned (rather than franchised) IP is all good news for WoW.
    agree. hopefully new ceo allen brack, as wow veteran, plays out positive for wow. to me, the earnings call looks better than expected for wow.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    RIP Starcraft
    This. Their only IP not to get any additional investment... that's so sad.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    Except for shareholders there is no amount that will ever suffice. They want infinite growth which sooner or later becomes unsustainable and i think the earnings call in 2019 will be very interesting.
    They didn't meet your expectations, they did meet Blizzard's.

D3 was free money for them. They put the bare minimum effort into that game and people still play it every single season.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Activision Blizzard will be reducing certain non-development and administrative-related costs.
    I thought you guys would be happy to read this.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keioshin View Post
    They made more money in 2018 then any other year in their history but because they didn't make even more money then they wanted they're going to layoff employees.... This is why publicly owned corporations are just evil.
    That's not necessarily true. They closed the HotS e-sports division, the publishing rights to Destiny were sold back to Bungie - there are probably a lot of staff leftover from those teams that are no longer required.

I don't like the direction that Blizzard is going, but these layoffs (if they end up happening to the departments mentioned) make perfect sense from a business point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    20% increase in investment, no layoffs at development and concentrating on big own franchises... sounds at least better for wow than other statements i expected. even when very very small, there is hope for a better understanding of how wow should evolve.
    they also said Activision Blizzard wants to de-prioritize games and initiatives that aren't meeting expectations. Will you say bfa met the expectation ? It bled subs like hell

Quote Originally Posted by Amgrod View Post
    Does "Warcraft" mean WoW, the franchise in general, or new Warcraft RTS resources?
    I honestly believe it means Warcraft mobile game.. Yea, we know they are working on one..so..

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    That's the part that makes me scratch my head...

They say they're reducing those that don't meet expectations.... but then go on to say Warcraft and Diablo are a priority - when clearly either of those has NOT met expectations at all. >_<
    Clearly they had different expectations than you.

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    People saying "RIP wow" can't read. If anything, wow comes out on top with the 20% extra resources added. Also, layoffs were non-development stuff.
    What, you want people on the internet to read and think before speaking? Preposterous!

Sorry, but every time I see something explained like "we have record results this year, so let's fire people §§§§§" I understand why more and more people around the world loose confidence about capitalism.

This sucks badly for the individuals being laid off - but it's the right call. This is non-development staff - as a custuomer I'm happy that they're scaling down on the crazy amount of money being spent on e-sports initiatives, reducing the corporate bureaucracy and making sure the resources are spent on development.

Blizzard has been having trouble getting games and content out of the door - they're not producing enough and the quality is often questionable. Many roles, especially in technical and engineering positions are becoming more difficult and expensive to fill. They need to find the money for this somewhere. That 8% layoff isn't being used to increase dividends. It's refocusing the organization for better production of games. Will this succeed? Maybe. It requires more than shifting around budget figures - it's important that the organization has a whole is trimmed. Getting rid of corporate cruft and office politics is extremely difficult. There's a huge risk they'll fail. But this restructuring can be part of succeeding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    It's just not the case - ActiBlizz effectively flatlined and 2019 outlook does not look good. There is no infinite growth here.