Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I couldn’t get into it either, you’re not alone :/

I’d suggest maybe trying a mega-modded TES: Oblivion. Oblivion is extremely difficult to mod, but the end result is a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Should have bought Diablo 3, not Witcher 3...

Fault on you. That game has a story, that's why it's awesome.
    Yeah, Witcher 3 may not be the perfect game for me personally, but it delivers exactly what it promises and thensome.

Witcher 3 never purported to be an isometric party-based RPG like Baldur's Gate, and if someone says they dislike it because it isn't one, they're a fool. (to put it mildly). There's a half dozen *great* rpg's that fit directly into that mold.

Oh, and the voice acting in Baldur's Gate ? almost non-existent. It's forgivable since its such an old game, but gimme a break, you're complaining about conversations in an RPG and then put Baldur's Gate up as some sort of holy grail with its walls of text ?

Plenty of gameplay plenty of dialogue it just isnt presented like a Michael Bay movie. If you dont like story and dialouge why pick an RPG? Its like someone picking wow and not liking leveling.

Witcher 3 is absolutely fantastic but it's not for everyone, especially if you love the modern game types with constant and quick greadification and constant action.
    We humans have to stick together

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    20 years or not, I still haven't to this very day seen any voice acting that brings more life and joy than David Warner's voice acting of Jon Irenicus.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Warner_(actor)

https://youtu.be/r6LbhhoOSIw?t=84 perfect example on what I'm talking about.
    I have not played either of the games in question but I clicked your link out of curiosity and I found the voice acting to be pretty bland and generic. He was serviceable at best, but the other character in the cutscenes were very cringeworthy, which really brought the whole experience down quite a bit. To each their own, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by maccajoe View Post
    Plenty of gameplay plenty of dialogue it just isnt presented like a Michael Bay movie. If you dont like story and dialouge why pick an RPG? Its like someone picking wow and not liking leveling.
    Plenty of RPGs have great gameplay with less story. RPG isn't entirely about forced story, hell a big part of a lot of RPGs is just doing your own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Oh, and the voice acting in Baldur's Gate ? almost non-existent. It's forgivable since its such an old game, but gimme a break, you're complaining about conversations in an RPG and then put Baldur's Gate up as some sort of holy grail with its walls of text ?
    Voice acting aside, the worst problem with the walls of text there was that it really didn't matter if you read it or picked whatever option. Usually resulted in the same outcome in most situations, with your party potentially disagreeing with your choices. It didn't matter if a group of nobodies attacked you or not, it didn't carry any weight for the rest of the game. Party interactions were, IMO, the only actual RPG experience in BG2, and the only ones you could actively shape. Witcher games all had more impactful decisions, which may not have carried from game to game other than some throwbacks, but they definitely mattered in the long run in specific games. Best example of this being Witcher 2, which is basically 2 games in one, depending on the Iorweth/Roche choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    ITT: Most everyone misses the OP's Point.

He really can't get into the dialogue in Witcher 3. The characters to him are boring and thus he skips most of the dialogue.

I can't get into Witcher 3 either.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post

He really can't get into the dialogue in Witcher 3. The characters to him are boring and thus he skips most of the dialogue.

It also seems that people in this thread automagically connect story with RPG unless its "diablo like", it's weird....

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I don't understand how you can decide that a character is "Shallow" or "deep" based on cutscenes that you skipped. Also lol at your saying that a 20 year old video game has better voice acting. Voice acting for video games was a joke until fairly recently
    Clearly you either missed my link where I threw an example of beautiful and wonderful voice acting or you are deaf.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post

Bingo! Thank you for that! Of course I didn't skip the dialog right away. I gave it a chance! But after I reached a big city and I had to chase down some boring ass people (Dandalion or wtf his name is....), do a theater play etc I simply lost it..

10+ Year Old Account
    ITT: "Op doesn't like this game I liked so he should go play a loot grinder instead."

Alrighty then.

Don't sweat it, OP. I got about 25 hours into W3 before I quit too. It's super cool that the game is voice acted and so dialogue heavy, but it's just so damn hard to care about it, personally. I LOVE story driven RPGs, sincerely, but so much of the games dialogue was just an excuse to voice act fetch quests. Geralt was super inconsistent, too. First I thought maybe I was just picking bad dialogue options, but most of the time he would be inconsistent all by himself; one moment sounding super dedicated to his cause and the main story line, the next minute (in the same convo) he sounds creepily flirty and nonchalant about it.

Also seriously, we get it, dude. You'll kill the monster for a price. Yeah, that's literally the point of someone offering you a job. You don't need to repeat it every time you pick up a sidequest. On the topic of sidequests, the leveling scaling for all of the areas and monsters is totally inconsistent and all over the place, making this "exploration" everyone keeps talking about a giant chore. Headed to a level 6 quest destination? Have fun when your horse autopaths through a village of level 20-25 ghouls who happen to be on the way there. Most of the loot is total garbage, upgrades feel meaningless and don't change the way combat feels and the talents, while impressive on the surface, are super inconsequential and take most of the game to unlock to the point of making a difference.

Seriously guys, Im glad so many people loved it, but not liking a game doesn't mean someone needs to " go play diablo!"

- - - Updated - - -

But after I reached a big city and I had to chase down some boring ass people (Dandalion or wtf his name is....), do a theater play etc I simply lost it..
    Seriously what is even up with the sidequests? Why are these people asking a rando witcher to make casting decisions for their play? Sometimes I think people are just impressed with the quantity of the dialogue in the game and not so much the quality.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Yeah, I don't know why people get so worked up over that game. It's ok but it's nothing spectacular in my opinion. Both the gameplay and story feels a bit stale but the world looks rather nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Yeah, Witcher 3 may not be the perfect game for me personally, but it delivers exactly what it promises and thensome.

Witcher 3 never purported to be an isometric party-based RPG like Baldur's Gate, and if someone says they dislike it because it isn't one, they're a fool. (to put it mildly). There's a half dozen *great* rpg's that fit directly into that mold.

yeah this one is pretty mind boggling.

its totally fine not to like something, not everything is for everyone, but... complaining about dialogue while propping up the game that has even MORE dialogue, it just happens to be written down instead of voice? seriously? REALLY? that is some serious cognitive dissonance right there.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Voice acting for video games was a joke until fairly recently
    Voice acting for games is still a joke outside of a few high profile JP developers, Rockstar, Naughty Dog and SSM. Most don't want to pay high price actors for multiple takes to get it right.

Voice acting is bad in both W3 and Baldurs Gate tho imo /shrug. A few notable performances but the casts as a whole are bad.

Anyways it seems this is the typical "I don't like this, why is this popular" post something being popular does not mean everyone likes it.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-02-14 at 07:25 AM.

next time research what you're buying.

Rather than bitching about not getting the product you dreamt up in your mind

The game is about the story, not action. So yes, it's not for everyone. But for those who appreciate the RPG aspect, it's a bloody masterpiece.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has to do with personal taste, I think. My husband never played Witcher 1 to the end, because he just could not get into the story or what ever. He owns all 3 Witcher-games, but does not play them. But, he played Skyrim for hundreds of hours, with different characters all skills maxed out.

I played all 3 Witcher-games and like them very much. I played Skyrim for a while, but never met the endboss, because ... *shrug*

7+ Year Old Account
    Hello everyone

Literally everyone i've seen says The Witcher 3 is a godlike good game.. BUT.. I'm really struggling to like it. I absolute hate the dialog.. dialog every god damn where I go.. I wanna fight monsters, collect gear and fight monsters..! Not spam press space bar all over. I'm level 14 atm and I just arrived at Skellige and i'm so closed to being burned out.. My own fault for space bar though all dialog? In that case I can say I can't and won't be able to endure the dialog spam all over..

Should I just give up or will the game get any better? My biggest problem in the beginning of the game was the voice of Geralt but now it's simply the dialog all over....

What to do?
    Personally I'm of the minority that does not love the main story of Witcher 3, but the side quests and the exploration aspect are quite amazing. Your problem seems to be that you do not like the classic RPG genre?

.. and I absolute hate the shallow characters/dialog. No immense powerful voice acting with the characters like in Baldurs Gate (Sarevok/Irenicus). Ohh well, thanks for the answers everyone. Spend 20 hours in the game by now and looking what you guys are saying there is no point to continue.
    I love BG2 to death, but saying TW3 is SHALLOW compared to it is just ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I love BG2 to death, but saying TW3 is SHALLOW compared to it is just ridiculous.
    Pretty much this. BG2 is my favorite game but TW3 sure is NOT shallow compared to BG2, nor is the voice acting worse.

However, I will say, W3 is simply not for everyone, and if you already are in Skellige and still don't like the game it's probably time to quit.