Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Shaman King are all good (up until their final arcs...).

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and My Hero Academia are good ongoing manga, though I'm not caught up on either at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Bleach is the obvious answer.

7 deadly sins, Black Clover and My Hero Academia are also acceptable.

It’s only just started but Eden’s Zero is setting up some big things. That’s definitely one to watch.
    Bleach up to and including the Soul Society arc then the series went on a 60 degree decline real quick until it culminated in a full on cliff dive with those final two arcs.

7 Deadly Sins is a fun read personally I was losing interest around the culmination of the first arc but then new enemies were introduced alongside the true savior of the series the Holy Sun himself Escanor. After that the quality of the series jumped right back up.

Black Clover started off super generic and while the story and characters are still generic(basically Naruto characters meet Fairy Tail world) it has become a fun read to pass the time. One thing I find refreshing is how much the mangaka kept setting up Asta and Yuno as his version of Naruto and Sasuke with Yuno going all evil or at least going full on jerk to Asta since Yuno was recruited into the greatest Magic Knight squad while Asta got into the worst he never did it. They legitimately stay close friends/friendly rivals throughout the series and God was that refreshing.

Finally ya I love Boku No Hero Academia/My Hero Academia. I love the world, I love the characters and I especially love the powers. The mangaka goes into a lot of details and gives reasonable explanations of the faults and short comings of these powers. One of my favorite is the character Mirio aka Lemillion who is introduced much later. His power is phasing and while he is a master at it and absolutely destroys class 1-A in a sparring match they all think his power is God tier. He explains it really isn't and how he has to constantly work himself to do even the simplest tasks with his power. My favorite is he can't breathe, see, hear, or feel while using his power because he is literally phasing so air can't reach his lungs, light can't enter his eyes, sound can't enter his ears, and he feels nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we're bringing Berserk into this, Goblin Slayer and Vinland Saga need to be added

Oh and Overlord, manga should get some scenes waaay better than the anime.....sigh cgi goats
    Last edited by Seiklis; 2019-02-16 at 12:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Bleach up to and including the Soul Society arc then the series went on a 60 degree decline real quick until it culminated in a full on cliff dive with those final two arcs.
    With the exception of the ending the final arc was pretty damn epic tbh.

Shame it never got animated that would've been amazing.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Black cover is amazing however main guy screams shot fists few episodes super annoying gets alot better after as few episodes. My hero academia is great also. Then there isgood old bleach

Quote Originally Posted by Felrush View Post
    With the exception of the ending the final arc was pretty damn epic tbh.

Shame it never got animated that would've been amazing.
    Personally I really disliked that final arc. I didn't like the villains at all and a lot of stuff they pulled never sat right with me. One thing I especially disliked was the complete retconning of zanpaktos. Before they got broken all the time and there were no issues. Then once they are broken and they are dead with weak ass explanations why a few characters are totally fine even though one character during the Soul Society arc had his bankai literally cut into thousands of pieces. Then that zanpaktos aren't special or unique to each Shinigami but that they are infact mass produced by one guy it was just stupid. One thing I did like was seeing Yamamoto go all out in his fight now that was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
    If we're bringing Berserk into this, Goblin Slayer and Vinland Saga need to be added

Oh and Overlord, manga should get some scenes waaay better than the anime.....sigh cgi goats
    The overloard manga is not even close to that part afaik. Last time I checked they were still loitering around the sebas subplot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The overloard manga is not even close to that part afaik. Last time I checked they were still loitering around the sebas subplot.
    Why I'm saying they should get it better. Christ sake the anime didn't even show what happened to Nigun...manga showed exactly where he got teleported too

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Any news on the Kingdom anime? been waiting for season 3 forever now....
    i didn't actually know it had an anime as i tend to only read manga unless something extreme like baki gets an anime.

Berserk. It has an epic story, very cool characters, and some funny moments between all the not so funny moments. I recommend you buy the volumes published by Dark Horse, but you can find the official translations online if you have no way of getting physical copies.

By the way, avoid the 'scanlations' of the manga, i.e. bad fan translations. As well as the 2016 anime.
    (For reference, this is a scanlation and this is the official translated version)
    Last edited by Theoris; 2019-02-16 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    There is a disturbing lack of JoJo in this thread.
    Because JoJo is the anti Shonen by design. My recommendation would also be JoJo and One punch man. In Japan JoJo is a Time less classic thats still ongoing. In the west, well its a meme everybody pretend they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Bleach is the obvious answer.
    Even by Naruto or One Piece standards, Bleach is fucking terrible. It was always the odd one out when it came to the Bleach/Naruto/One Piece trifecta of Anime nerds. Like, everyone argued if Naruto or One Piece was better but everyone agreed that Bleach sucked lol.

Having watched more of each series than I care to admit (either when I was a teenager watching it on Adult Swim or when I was watching it with a girl I was involved with- as she was a huge weeb and I sat through watching a lot of One Piece/Naruto and some Bleach with her) I can safely say that while Naruto and One Piece are at least something I can understand why a subhuman would watch, Bleach is down right awful. I never liked it, even when it first aired on Adult Swim I was immediately rubbed the wrong way by it and could tell it sort of sucked hard.

The fights are asinine. The fights are fucking ASININE. Even for an action anime the fights are FUCKING ASININE. Everything about it is asinine, actually. Someone once mocked Bleach by claiming that all the fight scenes boiled down to an argument between two kids who were pulling the old "I have a gun/well I have a force field/well my gun shoots bullets that go through the force field/well my force field can turn your bullets around back at you/well I actually get stronger when my own bullets hit me/well when you get stronger I get even more stronger/well I have a sword that when it hits you you lose all your power/well I have a force field that stops you sword/etc", and holy fuck it was so accurate because that is literally almost every god damn fight in the series.

I'm just ranting because I watched maybe 30-40ish episodes of the garbage when I was with this girl and every second of it was pain. I could sort of watch Naruto and One Piece was really dumb and bad but it's at least hokey and self aware enough that it wasn't completely miserable (though in its own ways it's worse than Bleach, because nothing is worse than an anime that is trying to be self aware).

AT ANY RATE I don't think someone who watched Naruto or One Piece would really like Bleach, because Bleach really is just that fucking shitty.

Fullmetal Alchemist is a good series but has some serious, and I would say fatal, faults. Its story and themes are actually way too mature and interesting for a Shonen anime, and I feel the hokey action actually really gets in the way of things. It would be far better if it were just a drama series with light action elements. Every other Shonen anime is just stupid shit like I WILL BE THE HOKAGE I WILL BE THE PIRATE KING I WILL PROTECT MY FRIENDS I FIGHT FOR MY FRIENDS I WON'T GIVE UP and then FMA is over there asking you what God is and what science is and if anything is real and what is life and what is death and shit lol.

Berserk is one of the best series out there, it's the right amount of graphic and trippy imagery with a grounded but psychedelic story. I feel its use of religious themes are actually really well done, compared to something like Evangelion that was tryharding to make everything shocking and disturbing and unsettling.

Devilman (the OVAs) is garbage that exists for nerds to pair its shitty, cheaply animated fight scenes to garbage hard rock music. Except the series, because it tones back the EDGY TRYHARD and blends in the right amount of goofyness.

Akira is a masterpiece.

A great 'anime' film is Sword of the Stranger. Samurai Champloo is also good.

InuYasha is literally awful.

One Punch Man is whatever. I didn't like it (the ORIGINAL comic is pretty fucking funny, however) because it's trying to be a parody of anime, which is impossible to do because anime is a parody of itself.

Goblin Slayer is boring. It's almost as bad as fucking Devilman.

That's the extent of the anime and manga I've watched. Unless you wanna talk about Lupin III. Do you want to talk about Lupin III? I want to talk about Lupin III.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2019-02-16 at 08:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan2 View Post
    Hi champs!

I know this question gets asked a lot and I've googled it many times but I couldn't seem to find a satisfying answer.

Is there any Manga out there that is similar to Naruto/One Piece? It doesn't need to have 72+ volumes but I'm looking for something with an epic story, cool characters and funny moments.

any input is appreciated!

cheers
    Toriko and HunterxHunter

Hajime no Ippo is surprisingly good as well, though lately it's been a bit different...

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post

That's the extent of the anime and manga I've watched. Unless you wanna talk about Lupin III. Do you want to talk about Lupin III? I want to talk about Lupin III.
    i always loved strange things, surreal stories and lupin3.
    but for some reason i could read the manga only when high as fuck. its too, i dont know how properly describe it in english, anarchist as narrative

Anything is better than Naruto
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

Epic story, cool characters, funny moments? You need Tower of God.

Original Dragonball, Fairy Tail, Boku No Hero Academia, Black Clover.

Those are pretty much the main shonen type manga I'm currently reading that are similar to One Piece and Naruto. Hell, Fairy Tail's art is so similar I thought it was a new series from the same guy for a while.

For other series that are interesting Rising of the Shield Hero starts interesting then gets kinda downslope when they resolve the first arc and the protagonist's source of conflict. Goblin Slayer is an incredibly interesting take on the D&D genre melded with japanese views mainly lacking the cultural baggage of Original Sin. One Punch Man is an excellent satire of anime/manga tropes and the budget for the anime is excellent, same thing with Mob Psycho - though the anime holds up better than the manga.

There's also GUMN - aka Battle Angel Alita. Some incredibly deep high concept sci-fi in there with a slightly morally complex hero.

And if you want to go way back for just something silly and cheesecake check out Sorceror Hunters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    You 100% read Berserk. There's a lot of happy times in it.
    I concur, but I'm not sure someone looking specifically for "something like Naruto and One Piece" will be too happy with it. Berserk is all kinds of awesome, but it's NOT your run-of-the-mill overpowered children extravaganza.

Seven Deadly Sins, Shaman King, HunterxHunter, Fairy Tail, Bleach and the like are probably better suggestions. Maybe Full Metal Alchemist if they're not too intimidated by a modicum of originality and storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Seven Deadly Sins, Shaman King, HunterxHunter, Fairy Tail, Bleach and the like are probably better suggestions. Maybe Full Metal Alchemist if they're not too intimidated by a modicum of originality and storytelling.
    FMA is a great closed stand alone story, but lacks some of the characteristics you'd find in the classicial shonen jump stuff (main character getting level ups, new moves, younger character within the story being protected by plot armor, etc). While probably most people would (rightfully) recommend it, it's still good to keep in mind that it is definitely different from your narutos and one pieces..