Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I can't enjoy fiction anymore

Whether it's books or movies, games or TV shows. Because I just keep thinking "that's dumb", "why do the characters act that way" or "this is badly written". It's like I can't immerse myself in it anymore. When I was a kid and I played a video game like Final Fantasy, I just accepted it all. The world, the characters. It just was the way it was. Now when I play video games I keep thinking, why are the characters so retarded?

I think it's just a part of growing up. It's like I've seen the behind the scenes. The illusion is gone. I just know too much about character development, character arcs, motives, tropes, archetypes and all that stuff. I've seen it all.

It's sort of like, when you are a kid, and you watch wrestling, and you think it's all real, it's amazing. Like when the Undertaker lost to Yokozuna, and then he was gone for like a year and you were constantly wondering when he was gonna come back and if he was still out there. But then you grow up and you learn everything about how Wrestling is fake, and they are all just actors playing those characters. For a while it's ok, cause you've got this new-found knowledge and you can view this from a different perspective now, but then there comes the point when it's all just dumb and phony. Like it's just a bunch of bad actors pretending to hit each other. You look back and think "I guess the Undertaker was just injured and had to take a break, that's why he was gone for so long". And you watch this shit for 3 hours and then turn it off and you think, what's the point of watching this shit? This is for kids.

That's the way I feel about fiction in general now.
    Last edited by Tiny Dancer; 2019-02-16 at 06:17 PM.

Life peaks at age 9, it is known.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, there's good stuff out there. It gets harder to find as time goes on and there's so much stuff getting pumped out every year to sift through. And the lowest common denominator types of stories are the ones that get advertised because they make the money.

Well-written works won't make you feel that way. Perhaps improve your taste in books, if the ones you are reading now are unpalatable for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Whether it's books or movies, games or TV shows. Because I just keep thinking "that's dumb", "why do the characters act that way" or "this is badly written". It's like I can't immerse myself in it anymore. When I was a kid and I played a video game like Final Fantasy, I just accepted it all. The world, the characters. It just was the way it was. Now when I play video games I keep thinking, why are the characters so retarded?

I think it's just a part of growing up. It's like I've seen the behind the scenes. The illusion is gone. I just know too much about character development, character arcs, motives, tropes, archetypes and all that stuff. I've seen it all.

It's sort of like, when you are a kid, and you watch wrestling, and you think it's all real, it's amazing. Like when the Undertaker lost to Yokozuna, and then he was gone for like a year and you were constantly wondering when he was gonna come back and if he was still out there. But then you grow up and you learn everything about how Wrestling is fake, and they are all just actors playing those characters. For a while it's ok, cause you've got this new-found knowledge and you can view this from a different perspective now, but then there comes the point when it's all just dumb and phony. Like it's just a bunch of bad actors pretending to hit each other. You look back and think "I guess the Undertaker was just injured and had to take a break, that's why he was gone for so long". And you watch this shit for 3 hours and then turn it off and you think, what's the point of watching this shit? This is for kids.

That's the way I feel about fiction in general now.
    Lol you’re not alone. This for sure happen to me and everyone I know that can admit it. Everyone wants to make movies until they realize it takes work.

Imagine your favorite movie or tv show maybe even band. Now imagine the people who make it, Sure they might love part of the experience of making it, but no matter how much of a fan you are if anything if you’re tasked with making it happen or seen or been apart of something long enough. Then I think it’s hard to feel about it the way others did.

Maybe it’s just nature.

I think the bright side is it can be exciting to enjoy past that and graduate to new experiences.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

You sort of highlighted your own dilemma. You took the mystery out of fiction. Reduced it, over-analyzed it and now only see it actors and props behind the stage rather than pay attention to the play. Maybe take a break for a while. Try new things, new experiences and see if they helps change your perspective.

I always like Einstein's take on losing our sense of wonder in life
    The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Luckily I can still enjoy plenty of fiction myself *knocking on wood* but when I watch a show like The Walking Dead for example I'm just outraged by the stupidity of the characters.

Sucks!
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

10+ Year Old Account
    If you really want to make it worse. Go through any movie, tv series or genre of music over the last 30 years and look for all the similarities of the above exact same song, movie or tv series are exactly the same.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Well-written works won't make you feel that way. Perhaps improve your taste in books, if the ones you are reading now are unpalatable for you.
    The last book I enjoyed was Lolita.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried hentai?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Felrush View Post
    Luckily I can still enjoy plenty of fiction myself *knocking on wood* but when I watch a show like The Walking Dead for example I'm just outraged by the stupidity of the characters.

Sucks!
    Well to be fair the walking dead,especially after season 3 or 4,has attrocious writting,about as bad as it gets

Quote Originally Posted by Felrush View Post

Sucks!
    I mean, TWD requires a megaton of suspension of disbelief to enjoy. I mean, zombies with with rotten teeth able to bit through a tiger's hide. My eyes nearly rolled to the back of my head

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I mean, TWD requires a megaton of suspension of disbelief to enjoy. I mean, zombies with with rotten teeth able to bit through a tiger's hide. My eyes nearly rolled to the back of my head
    steel teeth with hydraulic powered jaws,but their cranium is made of butter can be poked through with no effort whatsoever

There is a large difference between writers and entertainers. You sound like you have now upgraded to desiring to read writers instead of poorly constructed garbage. This is a good thing and not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    There is a large difference between writers and entertainers. You sound like you have now upgraded to desiring to read writers instead of poorly constructed garbage. This is a good thing and not a bad thing.
    Maybe you are right. Maybe there is something out there I can appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    steel teeth with hydraulic powered jaws,but their cranium is made of butter can be poked through with no effort whatsoever
    That is what happens when you invest all your stat points in *Biting Technique* and invest nothing in *Not Dying Technique*.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    This is the issue with TWD and I Am Legend. Too many rules are broken. Zombies are impossible, but we allow them to exist and accept one broken rule. However, a zombie too weak to lift its legs out of the mud will not then have the strength to single handedly eviscerate a man in a matter of seconds with bare hands. Just like people infected with a virus will not push a moving SUV by ramming heads into the side, or peel 3 inches of solid steel but fail to break a glass wall. That's too many rules broken, and some rather fucking stupid ones. All because the writers lacked the skills to tell a convincing story.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe you are right. Maybe there is something out there I can appreciate.
    Read literature that isn't heavy handed or overly preachy.

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations. That is the correct answer and type of book you should read.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is some good books out there, what I fear is the gamble of adapting good books to movies and it is known that studios love to dismantle solid scripts sometimes to add "flair" to things.

Great, thanks for telling us.