Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Raid icon markings and their meanings

Hello

I thought I would brush up on raid marking for mobs and their inherent meaning for the ones who haven't played for a while. Behold below:

Skull - Primary target to dps.

Cross - Secondary target to dps after primary is dead.

Square - Hunters' CC target for Freezing Trap.

Moon - Mages' CC target for Polymorph.

Triangle - Druids' CC target for Hibernate, or Entangling Roots, or Hex.

Diamond - Warlocks' CC target for Fear (might cause more problems), or Banish, or Seduce.

Circle - Priests' CC target for Shackle Undead, or Mind Control. (Yes, priests also have a fear but that is more of an AoE fear and not a single target).

Star - Rogues' CC target for Sap.
    Last edited by Nheme; 2019-02-17 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nheme View Post
    It's been a long time since we have had to use raid icons in World of Warcraft to indicate CC targets

When my guilds M+ team is pushing 15's, 16's and 17's+ we regularly use raid icons to mark CC targets depending on affixes...

Quote Originally Posted by Stockers View Post
    When my guilds M+ team is pushing 15's, 16's and 17's+ we regularly use raid icons to mark CC targets depending on affixes...
    I've updated the main post removing some arrogant text.

It's funny that people think you actually needed more CC back then compared to now. Once you get some gear (just like now), you just crush everything like it's not there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    It's funny that people think you actually needed more CC back then compared to now. Once you get some gear (just like now), you just crush everything like it's not there.
    to an extent but not always, if you are on discord sure but any good tank worth their salt in classic will mark everything regardless i usually just binded skull x poly and trap and had nooo problems.

I found dps sperg out and tunnel targets as opposed to just focusing 1 making threat much more manageable across multiple targets, even when gear gets better and you have rogues in full t2/2.5 the tanks threat without TF does not go up compared to the rogue, so even then im still marking to make it easier, try keeping threat off a t2/2.5 lock and rogue while they are both on different targets. its not fun

so ya i would mark regardless and it only takes 2-3 seconds and saves a lot of headache if people are not paying attention.
    its really just for threat imho

You should specify realm/faction instead of saying this was how it was.
    For me it was:

Moon - Priests' CC target for Shackle Undead, or Mind Control. (Yes, priests also have a fear but that is more of an AoE fear and not a single target).
    Triangle - Rogues' CC target for Sap.
    Circle - Druids' CC target for Hibernate, or Entangling Roots, or Hex.
    Star - Mages' CC target for Polymorph.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cc is needed for pretty much everything in vanilla, yes, a
    Aq or naxx geared group can faceroll instances, but majority of players dont have access to that kind of gear. And dungeons can be really hard with no cc, at early gear levels. doable yes, but by bringing extra cc, you can probably cut down clear times of a dungeon like scholomance in half. Mostly due to downtime of the healer, and wipes due to the really high damage trash packs that are in there.

Some dungeons require less cc, but using them are usually much faster than not using cc, cause aoe is not good enough for mobs to die faster than single target nuking. In addition to single target nuking reduces healer downtime by eliminating priority targets quick.

yeah, once your in t2.5 or above gear maybe. most people never got that gear though. and frankly, retail doesn't need cc period except in high end M+.

so yes, you need more cc back then.

In Vanilla, yes, but in TBC, no. The "back then" is probably referring to "before WotLK".

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    It's ultimately a consensus convention of the individual group anyway. Acting as if there was a community wide agreement is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    In Vanilla, yes, but in TBC, no. The "back then" is probably referring to "before WotLK".
    TBC heroics required CC. Pretty sure not many people ran Heroic Shattered Halls without it.

Quote Originally Posted by kichigaijin View Post
    TBC heroics required CC. Pretty sure not many people ran Heroic Shattered Halls without it.
    Yes, that was my point. I was probably being unclear, but I wanted to mean : "you could end up not marking mob in Vanilla, but not in TBC".

There are only about 5 pulls in non raid endgame that are more than 3 mobs anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyfoxy View Post
    Cc is needed for pretty much everything in vanilla, yes, a
    Aq or naxx geared group can faceroll instances, but majority of players dont have access to that kind of gear. And dungeons can be really hard with no cc, at early gear levels. doable yes, but by bringing extra cc, you can probably cut down clear times of a dungeon like scholomance in half. Mostly due to downtime of the healer, and wipes due to the really high damage trash packs that are in there.

Some dungeons require less cc, but using them are usually much faster than not using cc, cause aoe is not good enough for mobs to die faster than single target nuking. In addition to single target nuking reduces healer downtime by eliminating priority targets quick.
    Haha. Nothing is hard in vanilla. Thats just silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    We're not getting a TBC server though so thats not really and issue.

It was more useful for controlling aggro than anything else. AoE options and ranged abilities for tanks were very limited, so keeping several mobs locked down made it way easier for the tank to get everything under control. Even without much CC, skull and X were still invaluable to denote a kill order so that the DPS didn't overaggro the tank. Threat was an incredibly precarious mechanic back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Hex didn't exist until WOTLK, probably shouldn't include it in your list of Vanilla CCs

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It's ultimately a consensus convention of the individual group anyway. Acting as if there was a community wide agreement is silly.
    This. Absolutely this. On my realm the trend was to match the icons to class colour. So Mages would poly Square, Druids would root/hibernate Circle, Hunters would trap Triangle etc.

To be honest, that's always stuck me as being a lot more intuitive than the OP's method. Especially because if you're unsure, you could just check what colour your class is in the UI. Though I'm not sure if that's just because I used it from Vanilla all the way through to WotLK, or because it actually is easier to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    For me it was:
    Now you're just makin shit up. Welp, maybe it's NA standards. But then even the CM's confirm OP on one of the marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulatomten View Post
    Now you're just makin shit up. Welp, maybe it's NA standards. But then even the CM's confirm OP on one of the marks.

Moon = Sap

Star = Sheep.

Your reverse markings are heresy of the grandest order, and yes, this was on EU.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

"when you vastly outgear it you don't need cc!"

no shit sherlock

what do you do when you DON'T vastly outgear it? herp a derp

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    There are only about 5 pulls in non raid endgame that are more than 3 mobs anyway.
    The entire final room of BRD is 4+ mob pulls

There's at least 3 required pulls in DM N that are 4-5 mobs

Many trash pulls in Scholo are 4 mobs

It's pretty much the opposite of what you said. Every single endgame dungeon has at least one or two pulls with 4 or 5 mobs. Thanks for confirming you've never played vanilla.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2019-02-17 at 04:40 PM.