Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Climate Change is a hoax made in order so governments around the world can put even more taxes on companies making goods, so they can fund their marxists utopia. If people really care about young generation I would rather put emphasis on pharmacy companies and doctors are are stubborn to vaccinate sick newborns because they cannot wait for baby to get back to health, or to see that GMO will poison us all.
    Woah woah, tone it down, man. No one will believe this one is real otherwise.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    This is a horrible outlook to have. How can you lack empathy for your fellow man like this? "Oh, sure, you guys won't be able to grow food and will lose your homes to natural disasters but it's not my problem."

Pathetic.
    I've always lacked empathy. I'm autistic and have no concept of the feeling of love or caring or peoples feelings.

So yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The arguments you were making were textbook climate change denial conspiracy nonsense.

The usual framing is that climate change denial has 5 "stages". https://sustainability.com/our-work/...change-denial/

In the post I responded to, you included Stage 2 denial, with a helping of Stage 5 for flavour. If you don't want to get called out for being an anti-science kook, try not making kooky anti-science conspiracy claims. Which you are.

It's no different than claiming that scientists aren't sure if the Earth is flat or not. Stop pretending otherwise.
    You're reading into it what you want to read into it. I'm telling you its not there. Accept it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Yeah, you're denying the effects it will have on human society.
    Not sure where I said anything about climate change effects on human society beyond saying we're not all going to die, but good job projecting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rootkitt View Post
    Where are you getting this? Do you not believe in gravity, a round earth, or the sun at the center either? It is widely accepted in the science community that humans are greatly hastening climate change in a manner that isn't normal for the Earth, and the numbers as far back as we can go (which is far) support this.
    Ok I was really avoiding having to explain the grammar of my post but it's pretty clear that its ambiguous to some so when I say 'I think it’s worth pointing out that the debate over climate change to the extent that it exists...' the phrase 'to the extent that it exists' points to 'the debate over climate change' not 'climate change' which is itself part of the phrase 'over climate change' defining 'the debate'.

I'm not debating the existence of climate change. I'm debating our ability to meaningfully impact its current trajectory. Reading comprehension people, its a thing. Prepositional phrases point to their object, not other prepositional phrases.
    Last edited by D3thray; 2019-02-17 at 04:38 PM.

If you don't believe in climate change, then why is it so hard for you to assist people in making the world a better and cleaner place?

What is so awful about trying to mitigate the problems facing our next few generations?

"I don't care as long as it doesn't affect me." Little do you know, it already is affecting you.

I think the adults don't panic enough about climate change.
    Kids just do it right. After all, it is their future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    You're reading into it what you want to read into it. I'm telling you its not there. Accept it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure where I said anything about climate change effects on human society beyond saying we're not all going to die, but good job projecting.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I was really avoiding having to explain the grammar of my post but it's pretty clear that its ambiguous to some so when I say 'I think it’s worth pointing out that the debate over climate change to the extent that it exists...' the phrase 'to the extent that it exists' points to 'the debate over climate change' not 'climate change' which is itself part of the phrase 'over climate change' defining 'the debate'.

I'm not debating the existence of climate change. I'm debating our ability to meaningfully impact its current trajectory. Reading comprehension people, its a thing. Prepositional phrases point to their object, not other prepositional phrases.
    Humans can't survive if the climate keeps changing like this, the few million who will survive in Siberia will hardly matter if most of the world becomes inhospitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Humans can't survive if the climate keeps changing like this, the few million who will survive in Siberia will hardly matter if most of the world becomes inhospitable.
    I think you underestimate humans' ability to survive. And the climate is going to keep changing even if you knock out all fossil fuel production. We should be focused on mitigating its effects. No that's not me arguing we should do nothing with regards to greenhouse gas emissions, I'm just being realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    you don't know what you're talking about.

Y2K was a major, major threat. Companies spent billions by the hundreds to update their software and hardware and avoid system crash or weirdness like confusing 1900 with 2000 (both ending in 00). It was a small but serious problem. That being said, i don't recall being freaked out about it, just stated it's a major issue and need to be addressed.
    It was a major threat but the news made it out to be that it could become a nuclear disaster, which is why we had y2k nutjobs running around and doomsaying. Everybody that I knew packed up canned goods, enough for at least half a year.

Conservation of the environment is common sense, be it replanting the forests that provide us with materials, food, and oxygen; keeping the oceans clean, and preserving ecosystems.

What I take issue with is the notion that it's some imminent, world ending event that we must impose massive "clean energy" taxes or ban oil drilling to combat. No, at this rate the world isn't going to end in the couple hundred years. Technology is going to be innovated and environment friendly alternatives to technology we already use will eventually become affordable anyways. No reason to not use what we have at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe you should spend less time trying to form passive aggressive responses, and actually spend time understanding why someone is responding to you. No where did I debate or accuse you of debating the existence of 'climate change'. I SPECIFICALLY said 'that humans are greatly hastening climate change in a manner that isn't normal for the Earth, and the numbers as far back as we can go (which is far) support this.' in response to you saying:
    It’s naturally happening on its own already. The question becomes how much can or should we slow that. Make no mistake however, even if humans were erased from the planet tomorrow, it would still be warming. It’s the hubris of humans that we assume we’re the cause of any change on this planet. It’s gonna do what it wants regardless of what we think.
    I'm not sure if you avoided a retort because you don't have one, or if you just default to mincing words instead.

I think the vast majority worry about it to much. Unless you are willing to decimate most life on the planet you are not going to make a noticable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    What I take issue with is the notion that it's some imminent, world ending event that we must impose massive "clean energy" taxes or ban oil drilling to combat.
    Nobody is saying the world is going to end that's imminent, they're saying the point at which we can't do something about it changing is imminent.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    No, at this rate the world isn't going to end in the couple hundred years. Technology is going to be innovated and environment friendly alternatives to technology we already use will eventually become affordable anyways. No reason to not use what we have at the moment.
    Unless we reach the point where those technologies can't do anything about it, which is the point of concern above.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No, I don't which is why I have spent the a lot of time investing in clean drinking water, and donating to causes for it. Water is LIFE. Which is along with a lot of other resources being destroyed for future inhabitants.

Older people like me can afford to care less and less, we likely might not be alive to live in the literal hell on earth that this planet will become if Stupidity continues to be something everyone finds funny, or entertaining.
    No one alive today will experience it (except for small local things that do happen without climate change, just slightly more often now).

Interestingly people who panic about this are usually the same people who are for physical globalization, one of the worst things in terms of climate effects.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2019-02-19 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
    What should be done to sooth Children's fears about Climate Change?
    The most rational thing we can do to sooth children's fears about climate change is to do something about climate change.
    Sooooooooooooooooooooo maybe drug them up?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Seeing as how they are the ones that will be dealing with the consequences of the choices we have been making over the past two decades I'd say their worries are entirely rational.
    Lol? These choices have been in the making since over a hundred years ago and the children of today won't really be paying for it, they will see changes gradually happening, but only future generations that we will never meet will truly pay for it if nothing is done.

And that's assuming we can do something about it.

No. It could literally destroy our planet if ignored.

I think people in governmental positions actively downplaying and opposing climate change activism should be shamed and removed from their positions. We're not talking about personal gain, we're literally talking about whether this planet will be habitable in the next couple hundred years.

I don't think the people who downplay climate change understand why people are worried about it. Increasing the temperature of the earth by an overall one degree Fahrenheit has already created a ton of domino effects. What the hell do you think is going to happen in five degrees? What will weather and climate even look like? Do we really want to irreparably damage the planet out of apathy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshouttajail View Post
    Lol? These choices have been in the making since over a hundred years ago and the children of today won't really be paying for it, they will see changes gradually happening, but only future generations that we will never meet will truly pay for it if nothing is done.

And that's assuming we can do something about it.
    Changes are already happening, and big ones will even be seen in our lifetimes.
    And we can do something about it.

If anyone should be caring most about climate change it should be children. While it's our(adults) current problem to combat, one way or another the result will be their problem to live with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    No one alive today will experience it (except for small local things that do happen without climate change, just slightly more often now).

Interestingly people who panic about this are usually the same people who are for physical globalization, one of the worst things in terms of climate effects.
    The data we have does not confirm this.
    ...Like all the countries that will be fucked over by floods.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    They're more likely to suffer through the worst of it than we are, so yeah, they should be worried.