Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    It was more useful for controlling aggro than anything else. AoE options and ranged abilities for tanks were very limited, so keeping several mobs locked down made it way easier for the tank to get everything under control. Even without much CC, skull and X were still invaluable to denote a kill order so that the DPS didn't overaggro the tank. Threat was an incredibly precarious mechanic back then.
    Yeah but there are addons to keep check on that.
    I'm sure you can use the odd poly here and there but people act as if vanilla required you to use CC and take things really slow but thats just not the case.
    Vanilla was so much easier than the curent retail version it's not even funny. Most players simply sucked back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    We're not getting a TBC server though so thats not really and issue.
    Well... not YET at least ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    dafuq??? who uses star or circle for cc

I'm sure you can use the odd poly here and there but people act as if vanilla required you to use CC and take things really slow but thats just not the case.
    Vanilla was so much easier than the curent retail version it's not even funny. Most players simply sucked back then.
    Pretty obvious you havent played vanilla in 13 years, and have forgotten how it was. Go play on a PS as a tank and do any high lvl dungeon, it's leaps and bounds ahead of any tanking you'll do in BFA.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haha. Nothing is hard in vanilla. Thats just silly.

- - - Updated - - -

We're not getting a TBC server though so thats not really and issue.
    You never did scholomance with early gear and no cc obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyfoxy View Post
    You never did scholomance with early gear and no cc obviously.
    I sure did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    Pretty obvious you havent played vanilla in 13 years, and have forgotten how it was. Go play on a PS as a tank and do any high lvl dungeon, it's leaps and bounds ahead of any tanking you'll do in BFA.
    Haha. No, it's really not.

I forsee a "Why do mobs run to the healer even if I use thunderclap?" in a near-distant future.

It's funny that people think you actually needed more CC back then compared to now. Once you get some gear (just like now), you just crush everything like it's not there.
    It's funny when people reveal how they didn't play vanilla/TBC a single day of their lives, all while trying their best to prove that they did to random strangers who couldn't give a fuck who they are or that they did or didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    You should specify realm/faction instead of saying this was how it was.
    For me it was:

Moon - Priests' CC target for Shackle Undead, or Mind Control. (Yes, priests also have a fear but that is more of an AoE fear and not a single target).
    Triangle - Rogues' CC target for Sap.
    Circle - Druids' CC target for Hibernate, or Entangling Roots, or Hex.
    Star - Mages' CC target for Polymorph.
    w/e server you where on was high as fuck if they didn't have moon as poly target. Every server I played on in vanilla that was the case.

What are we even talking about? You didn't have target markers at the start of Vanilla, we used hunters mark and the mage detect magic thing to "mark" adds on Garr for instance. It took ages to set up! You guys saying you did "early dungeons" with raid target markers are full of shit, we didn't get them until the very tail end of Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    omg. you remind me of the vanilla-tbc era.
    where everyone had to try to beat a dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    The entire final room of BRD is 4+ mob pulls
    ...With one or two elites and a bunch of trash. In BRD the only "real" 4 mob pack is the 2 Dragoon/2... I wanna say "Officer" one just after crossing the Gate. Everything else is non elite trash with one or two elites.

There's at least 3 required pulls in DM N that are 4-5 mobs
    There's one at the very start, and there's one at the very end. Of 4 mobs.

Many trash pulls in Scholo are 4 mobs
    A handful are, at the bottom of the first flight of stairs and 2 in the big room before the plagued whelps.

If the perspective on the argument is "pulls that require CC" there are only "about" 5 in all the end game dungeons. For bonus points there are I think 3 in Scarlet Live that are genuine 4 elite mobs, CC pls or burn down the casters double time.

But yes I never played vanilla and never claimed as much. My experience is purely from pirate servers, and I'm sure they weren't that accurate. That said, in your proper tanking dungeon blues and having a clue how to LoS shit, CC was a bonus in nearly every instance. We will see I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    ...With one or two elites and a bunch of trash.
    Nice job moving the goalposts.
    There's one at the very start, and there's one at the very end. Of 4 mobs.
    And another after Slip'Kik with two warlocks and two demons.

A handful are, at the bottom of the first flight of stairs and 2 in the big room before the plagued whelps.
    And then all of the packs in front of the locked door. And near Jandice. And in almost all the rooms at the end.

If the perspective on the argument is "pulls that require CC" there are only "about" 5 in all the end game dungeons.
    And you seem to have a very, very loose definition of "requiring CC", how convenient.

But yes I never played vanilla
    and yet here you are making definitive statements about it

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    It's funny when people reveal how they didn't play vanilla/TBC a single day of their lives, all while trying their best to prove that they did to random strangers who couldn't give a fuck who they are or that they did or didn't.
    Care to elaborate?

If the perspective on the argument is "pulls that require CC" there are only "about" 5 in all the end game dungeons.
    Nice job moving the goalposts.
    You're still really crap at this. But well done for listing a bunch of mobs you're never gonna encounter in 95% of your non raid endgame.

Fucking Jandice, and non elite demons, what a joke lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Nheme View Post
    Hello

I thought I would brush up on raid marking for mobs and their inherent meaning for the ones who haven't played for a while. Behold below:

Skull - Primary target to dps.

Cross - Secondary target to dps after primary is dead.

Square - Hunters' CC target for Freezing Trap.

Moon - Mages' CC target for Polymorph.

Triangle - Druids' CC target for Hibernate, or Entangling Roots, or Hex.

Diamond - Warlocks' CC target for Fear (might cause more problems), or Banish, or Seduce.

Circle - Priests' CC target for Shackle Undead, or Mind Control. (Yes, priests also have a fear but that is more of an AoE fear and not a single target).

Star - Rogues' CC target for Sap.
    This is pretty much exactly what I know. I'm never that detailed though. I use Skull,X,Moon (CC), Star (other CC). Then just designate at the start of the dungeon who has which CC.

Mostly because I don't have convenient buttons for more than 4 target bindings

- - - Updated - - -

This is total rubbish. The standard difficulty of vanilla dungeons is around M0 by today's standards. Right from Deadmines onwards. You don't CC or LOS pull or deal with runners you wipe.

If you took an average group from LFD (normal or HC) in retail and put them in a vanilla dungeon in appropriate gear/level, it would be a wipefest.
    Last edited by Gavll; 2019-02-18 at 09:28 AM.

Care to elaborate?
    Nope. But it's okay man, we all believe you were a hardcore player all the way back to vanilla. No really, we do! <pats>

There, now you have your confirmation from a total stranger who doesn't give a fuck who you are or what you did. Now you can sleep at night, or whatever reason it is you have to try to convince people of your blatant and obvious lies.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I sure did.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha. No, it's really not.
    Its pretty obvious you have not. Cause that place is a nightmarr without cc at early gear levels and anyone denying that is either trolling, or is clueless

10+ Year Old Account
    It annoys me that you not colorcode em after classes, yellow = rogue, blue = mage etc.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

15+ Year Old Account
    Circle was sheep everytime with every hungarian guild I've played with Tho' it was often called Orange (as fruit) or Tits. Purple diamond was cunt... omg these marking nicknames
    X meant second target after skull and all other marks were quite freely defined per run.

Classic and BC had pretty large pulls in all 5mans and tank aoe aggro was nonexistent or very low.
    Last edited by Zka; 2019-02-18 at 01:17 PM.