Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    No not really. I paid for a subscription I was already going to pay for and got a free D3.

How is that a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    No not really. I paid for a subscription I was already going to pay for and got a free D3.

How is that a bad thing?
    A few things. First, sure you "made out" because you were going to pay for the 12-months of time anyway. Second, I imagine the commitment price was discounted, like comittments typically are?

So, here's what you derive from this promotion, they gave away a ~$50 game for free (literally) as the price of you paying to play WoW *was* the price you always paid for WoW. Why would a company give away a *cough* AAA game for free, just for paying for their other game? Of course, it could certainly be the margins are just that insane for WoW that they light it on fire but traditionally you wouldn't charge $120 for a service, and then give *existing customers* $50 of that back because they committed to staying with you for a year if your service was "worth it". You only do stuff like that if you're insecure if your servie is worth what you charge and you're trying to keep existing customers from leaving. In the case of the boat, same thing, gave an item (one that isn't obtainable otherwise at that) for someone willing to commit to paying for 6-months.

There is no way, in either scenario, it wasn't a way for them to ensure the grab of money. I'm not saying it was wrong or anything, companies do it all the time to try getting you to commit to the length of time, but technically, it's usually reserved to new customers, etc. When you've been around/your service has been around for more than 10+ years, you shouldn't need to be doing cash-grab promotions as the product should speak for itself. The only reason you start doing things like this is if the numbers are going down and you need to stop the hemmoraging.

No, not a gloom and doom post, simple business economics post.
    Last edited by alturic; 2019-02-13 at 07:33 PM.

i will never forget cata even wod was better for me. its good they woke up and created mop.

bfa is getting better over time. They did some mistakes that are hard to fix now sadly

Quote Originally Posted by Sinte View Post
    I guess it depends on what you do in the game. As a raider, all of Cata's raid content was god awful compared to BFA. Starting raid was worse, first actual raid was worse. Tons of shitty small boss raids with hardly any story in them, and they just slap a "known" bad at the end to make up for the mess.

Same with dungeons, although I'd argue if M+ existed in Cata, then Cata would win on that front. Pvp is about equal. Everything else is irrelevant, pet and mount collectors could all quit today and I wouldn't bat an eye.
    legit everything you just said is wrong besides dungeons

first tier of cata was amazing.. Firelands was good, i would even call it amazing because of Rag

PVP in cata was way better than now.. like its not even a contest. If you give Cata PvP a 10 then BFA PvP is like a 0.01

I wouldn't say Cata was bad, I still passionately played then, it just felt boring unless you were leveling an alt and got to see the old world in its new form. The Lich King for me was the ultimate boss besides Sergeras. Deathwing had a cool concept, but other than the few zones he'd fly around in he never showed up like arthas did in many quests and scenarios, Until ICC when he showed up you felt powerless, you were either running from him or avoiding him. I hunted deathwing down just to get melted by his fire for the achievement. Now things are just....bleh, Legion for me was pretty decent, and the artifact weapons were a great addiction that i bragged on to all my friends and convinced them to come play again, but then they were taken away. I don't know whats going on in the minds of the blizzard story writers or the development team but it feels like they're constantly taking steps backwards.

Cataclysm was miles better than BFA

Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    That's a pretty bold statement considering we're not even halfway into BfA.

Cata was shit, only good thing was flying from the start, lets get one thing clear, introducing flying on a MMO is a MISTAKE, but once you have done it not allowing to fly is a giant BULLSHIT, cata got this right and decided that flying from the start on maps DESIGNED for flying mounts is the intelligent thing to do, rest of expansions after cata got the retarded idea of delaying it (wod,legion and bfa, mop u can fly "fast"). other good thing for me was the annual pass because i got a free diablo 3 thanks to chinese gold seller/buyers and the old RCA system, so i got it nearly free without even having to play WoW boring soul raid, also earned like 2300€ on diablo 3
    Last edited by azkhane; 2019-02-15 at 08:14 AM.

Cataclysm is my second favorite expansion after WoD. And I just came back after quitting in Legion (my least favorite expansion) and now I'm thoroughly enjoying BfA.

I guess I'm broken.

How odd, I enjoyed Cataclysm better than BFA, apart from DS.

Then again BFA still has some patches coming and it might actually change but for the time being I'll just watch it from the sideline.
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane-Thunder-God View Post
    Cataclysm was soooo bad that the Annual pass was forged with a free copy of Diablo 3 just to keep everyone subbed to the game during the worst expansion content drought and worst expansion period. And that was a contract to remain subbed for a year.

Why are people acting like BFA is worse than Cataclysm? People really do have short memories... BFA is far superior to Cataclysm.

And better yet why are people acting like they didnt scream doom and gloom when MoP launched? WoW dropped to something like 5mil subs and everyone swore on their mothers that WoW was now dead.

Its like history continues to repeat itself and these guys look for a new expansion to call the end of WoW and to say WoW is garbage. I'll never forget the community vs the pandas. I've never seen so much hate and disdain to a game when MoP was revealed and pandas were coming to WoW lool

BFA is not fine, far from perfect but boy its way better than WoW has been at its worst.
    Wow being great at a period of time is pretty subjective. In most cases where you are in life and who you play with effect the enjoyment of the game a whole lot more than any single piece of content. I enjoyed Cataclysm immensely, I was in a great guild with camaraderie wall to wall and just enjoyed logging in because of that. I also felt that the difficulty of cataclysm and class design were the closest they ever got to perfection, not to mention Firelands being one of the best raids ever made thematically. Infact most encounters these days can't hold a candle to the bosses in Cataclysm.

All I know is what I have enjoyed and BFA has been my lest played expansion so far..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    And three expansions from now you'll look back with fondness on BfA, oh it was so much better back then. The point is, you remember wrong.

A smaller pile of shit is still shit you know. For some people it might be smaller but it's a fouler pile of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Cata wasn't shit, Dragonsoul was. The annual pass was there to cover the content drought during the absurdly long end tier. BFA doesn't have a content drought it just sucks.
    i agree, outworld content was good, TB was good (unless you played on an imbalanced server), dungeons were good, first 2 tiers were good, DS was hot garbo

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    The BFA boat was datamined months before BFA out, so sorry. And the yearly pass came out merely a month after DS was released.

- - - Updated - - -

Dragon Soul came out in 4.3. How does your logic work?
    typo lamo...meant Cata was good until 4.1...DS was so on my mind that it might as well replace the exp name.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Lol so Cata is considered a good expansion now? Can't recall this praise for cata a few expacs back... bias is strong here

10+ Year Old Account
    Both BfA and Cataclysm are top notch expansions. They are very good.

The annual pass was more there because of Mists of Pandaria receiving very negative reactions from players, it was a way to keep people subbed through to the expansion I believe as no one thought it would be good because of "kung fu pandas"

Furthermore wow never dropped to 5M subs prior to WoD.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    The annual pass was more there because of Mists of Pandaria receiving very negative reactions from players, it was a way to keep people subbed through to the expansion I believe as no one thought it would be good because of "kung fu pandas"

Furthermore wow never dropped to 5M subs prior to WoD.
    And WoW was never 10 years old prior to WoD.