Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tinker's spec speculation. What's yours?

Megkineering - tank riding a tank.
    Mastery : Samoplanghe

Rocketieering - ranged dps
    Mastery: Ballistique = chance to proc homing rocket and exploding sheep to targets.

Mediceering - heal
    Mastery: Alchemix synergy = increases the power of the the side effects from using more than one type of healing abilities on a target.

I pretty much think along the same lines as what you laid out.

Mech - Tank
    Devices and Explosives - Turret / Ranged DPS
    Chemist - Healer

Mech - Tanking
    Demolition - Ranged physical dps, rifles, explosives
    Medic - Healing

Pretty sure a tech class would not have a healing spec. It would delve too much into the "alchemy" side of things which is a complete separate "science" than engineering.

One tank spec, two DPS, one of them being a ranged spec, seems the most likely to me. I suppose you could add a 'healing' spec, but then it'd be less a 'tinker' and more 'something else' where 'tinker' just become a spec of the class, much like the Brewmaster.

One could almost imagine a 4 spec class like druids have (though I doubt blizzard would commit to this). I can definitely see the big 3 though, tank/dps/heals. Just look at what they've created for the island expedition teams, and you'll have a rough answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Mech - Tanking
    Demolition - Ranged physical dps, rifles, explosives
    Medic - Healing
    Was thinking exactly the same thing.

Oh, we're supposed to make predictions, eh? Well, here are mine:

Tank mastery: ablative shielding. The tinker has a permanent shielding that reduces damage taken by a %, scaling with mastery. The shield can only absorb up to a fixed amount of damage, also scaling with mastery. The tinker has to refuel the shield often with certain abilities.

Melee DPS mastery: vibro-shock weapon upgrade. The tinker's auto-attacks and melee abilities have a chance to cause an electrical discharge, causing X amount of damage, scaling with mastery.

Ranged DPS mastery: extended warranty. Turrets and other constructs last longer and deal more damage, scaling with mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Pretty sure a tech class would not have a healing spec. It would delve too much into the "alchemy" side of things which is a complete separate "science" than engineering.
    Sure, but engineers already have access to bandage guns and potion injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    And I predict that those would be nothing more than like the self-heals every single class has, like warriors, rogues, dks, etc.

7+ Year Old Account

One tank spec, two DPS, one of them being a ranged spec, seems the most likely to me. I suppose you could add a 'healing' spec, but then it'd be less a 'tinker' and more 'something else' where 'tinker' just become a spec of the class, much like the Brewmaster.
    You mean like the bandage gun? and the healing grenades we once had? Alchemists dont throw grenades or shoot beams or shoot synergies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    You mean like the bandage gun? and the healing grenades we once had? Alchemists dont throw grenades or shoot beams or shoot synergies.
    Yes, but the "concept" doesn't fully cover healing. I imagine it'd be "translated" mostly into self-heals, like warriors, rogues and DKs have.

That ship sailed when they said Monks tank by getting drunk. Nothing makes sense anymore.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but the "concept" doesn't fully cover healing. I imagine it'd be "translated" mostly into self-heals, like warriors, rogues and DKs have.
    bandage gun healed other people, as does throwing grenades, shooting beams, and shooting syringes

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    I'd say an alchemist healer would toss a potion on the ground by the party's feet. it would shatter and release a liquid that evaporates into a healing mist. Or they could toss a potion in the air and shoot it to release a healing mist.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    That ship sailed when they said Monks tank by getting drunk. Nothing makes sense anymore.
    Not really. Never heard of the "drunk kung fu master" trope before?

Not really. Never heard of the "drunk kung fu master" trope before?
    You can associate getting drunk with just about any profession. Drunk teachers, drunk clowns, drunk scientists. Anything.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    bandage gun healed other people, as does throwing grenades, shooting beams, and shooting syringes
    Yes. But even still, those healing items are so very few and very spread apart in the engineering development, and most healing done not by magic in Azeroth is done mostly through alchemy, which makes me think that if a tech class is going to have healing abilities, they'll mostly be "translated" into a self-heal ability, maybe two, maybe usable on others, maybe not.

- - - Updated - - -

You can associate getting drunk with just about any profession. Drunk teachers, drunk clowns, drunk scientists. Anything.
    Again, did you never hear about the "drunk kung fu master" trope? A kung fu master that, when drunk, wobbles and weaves causing everyone's attacks to miss most of the time.

There is a type of Martial arts that mimics the unpredictable movements of a drunk person. It is known as Zuì Quán, or drunken fist.

That is basically what brewmaster monks are (hence their stagger mechanic). The difference is, brewmaster monks actually get drunk instead of simply mimicking one.

I would imagine three specs for it Tank, Ranged DPS and Healer.

Tank would be a mech, it would use shields as it's main active mitigation then have aoe rockets, flame throwers and a chainsaw hand for attacks. They would have a cheat death mechanic where the mech would die and the pilot would stay alive losing all threat. Then they could just resummon the mech with like a 3min or 5min cooldown in combat to resume tanking. No CD out of combat obviously.

Ranged DPS would shoot guns, spawn turrets and send out exploding minibots.

Healer would use guns to inject healing, throw health grenades and set up tiny bots that radiate healing to nearby players.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes. But even still, those healing items are so very few and very spread apart in the engineering development, and most healing done not by magic in Azeroth is done mostly through alchemy, which makes me think that if a tech class is going to have healing abilities, they'll mostly be "translated" into a self-heal ability, maybe two, maybe usable on others, maybe not.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, did you never hear about the "drunk kung fu master" trope? A kung fu master that, when drunk, wobbles and weaves causing everyone's attacks to miss most of the time.
    and engineers commonly use alchemical machines...
    the difference between alchemy and engineering is not that "fluids" its "one makes them, one uses them in giant mega machines"

- - - Updated - - -

it is actually a style, when people are drunk they are far more relaxed, and being relaxed reduces blows.

for example (sadly) in crashes caused by drunken drivers, the drunk driver is most likely to survive by a fair amount over the not drunk person.
    because when a human tences up and tightens their muscles, they take hits harder. but when they are released and relaxed... they will be better.

If you hold your arms up and try to block a hammer your hardest... you will break your arm...
    if you hold your arms up but just let them "noodle" the hammer will just... throw them aside... Maybe a bruise, sprain, maybe a fracture, but no break.
    thats why its called "stagger" cause unlike block, you stagger it.