Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    It's very likely because many of those crew-members would go with you on missions.
    I've had NPC's on the missions with us during the story, its just few and far between and when they are there it isn't very personal so they may as well just be voices.

A while back I was under the impression the story was supposed to be its own single player thing and then you had separate multiplayer which I thought was a cool way to go about it. Turned out not to be the case, and so far the story feels kind of disjointed from the gameplay. Its not that the story is bad, but its just that almost all of the conversations and stuff happen in fort tarsis and most of that is you getting to know people around the fort. Then you go and do missions that are almost entirely disconnected from all those conversations you're having excluding a small handful of people who sent you on the mission because reasons.

Its not that its bad, its just that it feels disconnected and the world feels both larger and small. Its like you're only getting to see a tiny chunk of this world that's supposed to be much larger with more people. I haven't played any mass effect games so I don't know how its different.

I guess when I said "tilesets" I meant everything that comes along with them. The monster types and their position. The dynamic of all that contrasting with your build.
    That's the thing though, its really not this huge different experience its advertised to be. If one doesn't enjoy the character they're playing they're not going to last long because its still insanely repetitive fighting the same monsters you've been fighting just randomly in preset packs on random maps that don't really change anything about how you play.

Destiny tried to do the same sort of thing with tilesets in CoO, but it fell flat because it didn't address the games bigger issues.
    But that variety is what draws players in.
    Lots of things draw players in, as long as there's a class that looks interesting to them then they're golden. You don't need 7 classes for that to be the case, and the 4 they have pretty much cover the main bases.

That's not to say more isn't welcome, just that I don't think its that pressing of an issue. Destiny has all of 3 classes and I haven't seen anyone making it out to be this big thing holding the game back. Frankly I don't think I've seen anyone mention it at all for that matter.

Really all I'm saying is that Anthem is running thin right now. Only 4 javelins and only 3 strongholds is not much, even with 6 difficulties to choose from. Even with a LOT of build diversity, that content is going to wear out in a hurry.
    Y'know I was worried about that until I saw the challenge menu's and how you go about unlocking everything and there is an absolute metric shit ton of stuff to do if you're that kind of player.

Its repetitions, but its repetitions towards goals which is what all these games are about. You take a look at warframe and its the epitome of everything I've seen complained about for destiny(or now anthem) except warframe has fashion frame and just waaaaay more customization and build options than a game like destiny.

Same goes for PoE vs D3, PoE's gameplay is just as shallow and repetitive as the other games if not more so... but it has a lot going on with building your character so people ignore that all you're doing is running around 1shotting mobs as fast as possible and all that build diversity end with you doing the same thing you'd be doing with any other build.

Its something I've never been able to figure out, because people praise those games while ignoring that they have the very same issues the community is raving about for these titles from more prominent companies.

What I think will be the true indication of where Anthem is going is what we see the game focus on in the following months. If we see more strongholds, solo modes, new areas or other game mode, then everything is cool. But if all we see are a plethora of cosmetics without anything of real substance, I'd say the game is in trouble.
    I mean they already laid out the roadmap https://i.redd.it/s9skbmwpvze21.jpg

Just a matter of whether or not they pull it off.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    But they didn't focus on the end game loop. Because the one that exists won't keep people entertained past the first day.

Your going to endlessly run dungeons and freeroam but for what? I'm not seeing the carrot that keeps people playing.
    What is that carrot in PoE or D3 or warframe or destiny?

Just got my first masterwork, Wyvern Blitz 40% weak spot damage bonus while hovering

Feels nice

Quote Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
    I am quite confused as to the malware comment, as I hardly have anything installed on this PC in the 1st place besides the games I play, along with common sense, MWB and another private security blocker. I've never had issues like this in the past.

I wouldn't say it's malware, as it's game-specific, and doesn't happen with any other Origin, Steam or Blizzard IP. On top of that, it's a widely known issue as per forums and on Reddit. Also, to this point, I wouldn't say astronomically low, as some people on the mega thread couldn't even play without crashing out. Streamers included. You can literally see it happening live.

I would say I was lucky however, as also admittedly, I tried dumping as many hours since the 9AM CST launch into the game as I could, so I was playing a very long time over the duration of said crashes. This isn't 10+ crashes over the duration of 2-3 hours. I was playing a long time haha.

To the cut scene issue, I was able to skip all cutscenes except the ones that play to everyone in a group, even though the option presented itself. I asked my group over comms. if they had the same type of issues and they said the same things.

To the thunder point (and I know this is a joke) oh lord no. Only time I'd ever stay in for weather is -30-40+ below zero or 100+ in the summer. Where I live I get both extremes so anything not a weather emergency is a nice day.

My GPU drivers are, I'm using 417.71. I heard the newest ones were causing lots of problems for people on the forums. Everything else is up to date.

Like I had said before, once everything is ironed out with the upcoming patch and some hopeful changes the community is asking for, I'm all for jumping back in for another shot. I got it via Origin Premiere anyway, so It's not like I lost much. I enjoy the occasional BF5 game with friends.
    That's fair... the technical state of the game is not stellar, but I am confident the bw folks are working on things.

The 22nd patch should help a bit with several things, but it won't be a panacea.

The gameplay is great, the story and world is good (this is super subjective... personally I love the dialogue, etc...) and the grind hits the endgame itch that games like diablo left in my soul.

Its entirely fair to put the game down and come back when things are in a better state.

Provided EA let's the game breathe, it'll be here when you get back. That's the nice part about their stated business model.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2019-02-18 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixnalia View Post
    Just got my first masterwork, Wyvern Blitz 40% weak spot damage bonus while hovering

Feels nice
    Grats man, sounds like a good one. Is it javelin specific or a weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by yasiru View Post
    I understand what you are saying, really. But again it's the same as others have stated about Diablo and that's my point. Diablo is about making new builds, trying stuff out, and pushing into more difficult content. That's what I DO like about this game. It just came out though and people chastise it and compare it to Diablo, saying Diablo is better, but then thy also forget that Diablo didn't have things like rifts, good set items, etc when it launched... For me, the gameplay is fun in this game, and I look forward to trying new builds and with the various javelins. This style of game isn't for everyone though.
    Diablo3 also had D1 and D2 behind it. Anthem sort of doesn't unless you consider ME and Andromeda, which aren't really the same kind of game.

I get what you're saying. I'm just not sure Anthem has enough content to sustain it like Diablo does. We'll see. I'm skeptically hopeful, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by yasiru View Post
    Grats man, sounds like a good one. Is it javelin specific or a weapon?
    Weapon, it is an upgraded version of the Deadeye sniper rifle.

Not too useful on my Colossus, but was nice on my Ranger and Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Just a matter of whether or not they pull it off.
    Exactly my thoughts too. Just like Morpheus said in The Matrix: "There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path." How well the execute their planned release schedule will have a big impact on this game. If they fail to release in a timely manner, they're going to lose premier members. People like me who haven't bought in yet won't.

But like I said to someone else, I'm skeptically hopeful. PLENTY of other games to play in the meantime.

But like I said to someone else, I'm skeptically hopeful. PLENTY of other games to play in the meantime.
    (Some of which you can play via premier!)

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    (Some of which you can play via premier!)
    BEGONE SATAN EA! Hell hath spat thine shilling out, and we want none of thee on earth! Go back to the pit, I say!

XD

Seriously though, we kind of live in a golden age of videogames. I REALLY don't understand the need to jump on new releases day 1. Although if you're going to throw down for EA Premier, you might as well.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2019-02-18 at 04:41 AM.

So after about 6 hours of playtime, I finally learned about detonators and primers... from a Reddit post. It is absolutely ridiculous that they don't give you a tutorial for such an important system. It doesn't even have to be anything fancy, I'm pretty sure Destiny at least gives you a little pop up window telling you to use energy weapons on shields.
    Last edited by everydaygamer; 2019-02-18 at 04:48 AM.

Seriously though, we kind of live in a golden age of videogames. I REALLY don't understand the need to jump on new releases day 1.
    Yeah I don't for the most part anymore outside of games I really want to play.

For this one it was cause I had friends doing it, but for the most part I'm very much a r/patientgamers kind of person. Buy most of my stuff when its heavily discounted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa...o_improve_the/

sums up my experience as well pretty much so far, even though there are a lot more problems not listed in that thread.

The gameplay is kinda fun but I'm glad I only spent 15 bucks on this game so far.
    Last edited by apelsinjuice; 2019-02-18 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    So after about 6 hours of playtime, I finally learned about detonators and primers... from a Reddit post. It is absolutely ridiculous that they don't give you a tutorial for such an important system. It doesn't even have to be anything fancy, I'm pretty sure Destiny at least gives you a little pop up window telling you to use energy weapons on shields.
    There are a few other poorly explained things. For one you can't even demo the javelin types. If you pick one you end up not liking you just make yourself miserable until you finally get another chance in 6 more levels and then repeat the same. On top of that the "info flyer" of the storm is in an area that you only unlock after a couple of missions - after you already had to pick your first javelin - while the others can be found in the first area.. I mean what is the logic behind that? oO

Seriously though, we kind of live in a golden age of videogames. I REALLY don't understand the need to jump on new releases day 1. Although if you're going to throw down for EA Premier, you might as well.
    When gaming broke into the mainstream post 2007 it replaced 'watercooler tv' and AAA in particular has largely become 'watercooler videogames'. It lead to the rise of the whole "a paid streamer dropped the 'get hype' trigger word so i'll buy this day one, even though odds are high i wont like it and return it the next day" purely to keep up with the day one watercooler atmosphere. You didnt see a lot of people years later going "boy, you seen that show LOST yet?" because thats the effervescent nature of this kind of media focus. With games that kind of crowd needs to be day 1 for the talking about the game more than the playing it. Something that companies with large focus on day one sales and pre order numbers are very happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa...o_improve_the/
    sums up my experience as well pretty much so far, even though there are a lot more problems not listed in that thread.
    The gameplay is kinda fun but I'm glad I only spent 15 bucks on this game so far.
    Even if all of that might "take them a while" ... that many of those are even a thing and were designed that way in the first place is baffling. Probably a combination of bad design and rushing the game out the door IMHO.

So, game has been released, right? SOrry for not reading the last 20 pages

Can someone do a small recap? I'm wondering if it's another game to wait for when they fix issues and/or add more stuff. I got burned badly with Destiny 2 and now i'm enjoying The Division (now that's a complete game everything feels so well-rounded).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post

Can someone do a small recap? I'm wondering if it's another game to wait for when they fix issues and/or add more stuff. I got burned badly with Destiny 2 and now i'm enjoying The Division (now that's a complete game everything feels so well-rounded).
    If you have Origin Access Premium its released yes, everyone else gets it on the 22nd.

Gameplay is fun, story is very meh, end game is very lacking.
    verdict. wait for more content unless you really enjoy endlessly grinding the same content.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account

Well, mechanically - combat is very nice. Game is sure pretty and it has ME combat core stuff like combos, armor/shield, so it's easy to jump into if you played ME, because it's similar.

Flying is ok, despite many valid complaints in Beta, Bioware seemed to manage to pull out some magic trick and improve it, so it feels very natural after short break in time. There are a lot of abilities and stuff that knock you off the air though and it can get pretty annoying after a while.

Story is nothing to write home about, but it's functional. It does give you some intro to the world and factions and my issue mainly is how very VERY short it was. They even sort of gated it in the middle with totally cheap quest that required you to complete various random achievements. After that story was done in a couple of hours leaving you with "that's it?" feeling.

One big improvement is facial animations and characters overall, ME:A should have had that. Outside a few weird poses like Faye in her weird holding cigarette/vase pose when talking and Owen being annoying as fuck with plasticy face, rest were well done and sometimes I was impressed how facial animation produced various emotions that felt spot on. Well aside from teeth looking like what a boxer wears to protect teeth, but that's minor.

Now here's the hard part where game falls flat on its face. Amount of activities you can do is VERY limited, it basically amounts to "defend this circle", "fetch items from point a to point b", "survive ambush", "kill fat X". So most of the quests and all repeatable content basically amounts to do 3-4 of the above in random order in succession without any sort of spice up like environment challenges or unique handicaps. These exist in Strongholds, but the problem is you only have 3 of those and 1 of those is simply a reused last mission.

So I am basically in a situation where I "finished" the game and only things I can do is basically either grind same 3 Strongholds or do Contracts which is basically 4 of the things above glued together as I mentioned.

There is Freeplay, but that's basically fly around until you spot one of the 4 above activities and do it.

So in my opinion unless Bioware injects serious variety into the game soon it will fade away fast. Maybe the good advice would be to do one of the following:

1. Get Origin Premium, for 15 bucks you get a month of this game, which is way more than you need to feel "done" with it.

2. Wait a couple of months and then do (1).

I honestly can't recommend buying it, simply because currently it's not worth 60 bucks, it is worth 15 bucks Premium asks for it, but that's about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot the technical aspect. I use 1080Ti and 9700K, so I had no trouble whatsoever playing it at top details and good frame rate, what I did have trouble with is loading screens. Boy, did they overdo it... There is loading screen for just about anything you can imagine. At this point I'm impressed there is no loading screen for talking to npc. I put the game on top of the line PCI-E ssd and you still have enough time to go grab a drink before you can play your next objective and I hear people who put the game on HDD suffer.

Bugs - there are a few, most annoying ones having mission stop progressing for some reason and requiring you to bail and restart, but these were not super frequent, I had like 2 cases so far. Annoying though, especially because you forfeit loot.

The game is fun at the moment. Sure, there are a fair amount of wonky stuff going on here and there like the weird sound bug that some people get but overall I'd say it fun.

Hard to say if you should hold of on buying it or not. If you're already on the fence I'd say wait a bit untill they atleast start rolling out their first content patch (starting in March).