Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Tank, melee, and physical range dmg based.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Pretty sure a tech class would not have a healing spec. It would delve too much into the "alchemy" side of things which is a complete separate "science" than engineering.
    Then you should consider paying attention to what's already in the game. All three specs are already there. You can see them in Island Expeditions in particular. They do, in fact, have a tank, a damage dealer, and a healer. Engineering even used to be really big into healing via potions, with auto-injectors and the like.

Also, they're Tinkers, not Engineers. They tinker with all sorts of sciences.

Also they're almost certainly going to be mail wearers with access to firearms. With gnomes, goblins, and undead all but 'confirmed' races.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Lets say we create a Tinker class. What would you do with Engineers?
    They would co-exist just fine? Engineering gadgets have always been about utility (with a couple exceptions) while tinker ones would be about raw throughput. Sure, engineers can craft ranged weapons and goggles, but that's not a problem. That gear would just supplement the class the way it does other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    You can't build a mech suit with Engineering. You can build a mount based on a schematic, but a Tinker's mech suit would be something akin to the Iron Man suit that the Tinker creates personally without a schematic and have a unique set of abilities and weapons.

You wouldn't have to do anything to Engineers because you could be a Tinker class and use the Engineering profession at the same time.
    So if the Tinker decided not to pick up Engineering, he would rely on someone else to make his weapons? Sounds incredibly wierd to me. He could (probably) make gun turrets, explosive traps, lasers, whatever, but not a rifle to arm himself?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    They would co-exist just fine? Engineering gadgets have always been about utility (with a couple exceptions) while tinker ones would be about raw throughput. Sure, engineers can craft ranged weapons and goggles, but that's not a problem. That gear would just supplement the class the way it does other classes.
    But for at least 3 addons now they have also made guns and crossbows, something you'd expect of an engineer or a tinker. As said befor, the tinker would be able to create turrets etc, but not a rifle or crossbow for himself, unless he also picks up engineering which is, basically, the exact same thing as his class is.

So if the Tinker decided not to pick up Engineering, he would rely on someone else to make his weapons? Sounds incredibly wierd to me. He could (probably) make gun turrets, explosive traps, lasers, whatever, but not a rifle to arm himself?
    Perhaps he's not as well versed at firearms as he is at lasers and traps. You don't need to be a blacksmith to use hammers and swords. You don't need to be an enchanter to use wands. You don't need to be an engineer to use guns or bows.

Warriors depend on blacksmiths, Mages depend on Enchanters for their enchantments, I see no problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Warriors depend on blacksmiths, Mages depend on Enchanters for their enchantments, I see no problem here.
    But it isn't part of the warrior fantasy to craft arms, play around with them, improve them. Neither is it the mages to enhance his items to further his study of the magical arts. And Blizz at least tells us that class fantasy is something they highly value these days, make of this what you want. It'd feel extremly weird to me, if I was to play a Tinker, to need to level a profession that does basically the same thing I've been doing my entire life to be able to make a rifle while I can craft gun turrets and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    But it isn't part of the warrior fantasy to craft arms, play around with them, improve them. Neither is it the mages to enhance his items to further his study of the magical arts. And Blizz at least tells us that class fantasy is something they highly value these days, make of this what you want. It'd feel extremly weird to me, if I was to play a Tinker, to need to level a profession that does basically the same thing I've been doing my entire life to be able to make a rifle while I can craft gun turrets and so on.
    That then comes to whether it's part of the Tinker fantasy to make the gun or enhance it. While Tinkers may want to make the gun, they seem just as likely to find any old gun at a flea market and add in a Shrink-O-Zap-2000 as opposed to wanting to make the gun itself. Wouldn't they care more for the gadgetry and enhancements than the base itself?

Then the fantasy of Tinkers is to never get weapon item upgrades? Gamr design still needs to apply. If they dont craft em, they loot em from dead corpses of their enemies. The dont make guns any more than Warriors make swords or armor. That is profession based. I mean no different than Mages being unable to do what Enchanting or Inscription does even though they are masters of magic.

Tinkers specialize in using the same guns a hunter uses, but in a way to shoot more specialized ammo or gadgetry that a Hunter cant. They just dont build those guns. That is, if the class even uses guns
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-02-19 at 09:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe have Tinkers locked into the engineering proffession from the start.

Tank option, Ranged DPS (guns, rockets and bombs) Ranged DPS with many bots (bit like demo warlock).

Quote Originally Posted by DotEleven View Post
    Perhaps he's not as well versed at firearms as he is at lasers and traps. You don't need to be a blacksmith to use hammers and swords. You don't need to be an enchanter to use wands. You don't need to be an engineer to use guns or bows.
    But you need to be an engineer to make a gun. A bow is somewhat low-tech in comparison, but a rifle, on the other hand, isn't. A well-versed Tinker, who can make Gun-Turrets, should also be able to forge a rifle.

The entire issue is that, similar to Rogues, Warriors and Hunters, the Tinker, in theory, wouldn't be a special person, but someone who chose a certain style to fight. Stealth, Brute force, Ranged attacks and ferocity and animal companions, and the Tinker, who crafts weapons, gear, gadgets and gizmos to solve problems. Only issue is that we already have that in a way, in the form of an engineer.

I'm not saying it is impossible. I just think It'd be weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    That then comes to whether it's part of the Tinker fantasy to make the gun or enhance it. While Tinkers may want to make the gun, they seem just as likely to find any old gun at a flea market and add in a Shrink-O-Zap-2000 as opposed to wanting to make the gun itself. Wouldn't they care more for the gadgetry and enhancements than the base itself?
    Don't know if they would. You couldn't universally answer for all of them. A decent part of them would, imho, feel the need to be able to make such wonderous weapons of destruction of their own. To me, It'd feel off if if they couldn't do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Then the fantasy of Tinkers is to never get weapon item upgrades? Gamr design still needs to apply. If they dont craft em, they loot em from dead corpses of their enemies. The dont make guns any more than Warriors make swords or armor. That is profession based. I mean no different than Mages being unable to do what Enchanting or Inscription does even though they are masters of magic.

Tinkers specialize in using the same guns a hunter uses, but in a way to shoot more specialized ammo or gadgetry that a Hunter cant. They just dont build those guns. That is, if the class even uses guns
    Exaclty, game design would still need to apply. If you can craft a Mech suit, what need would you have for some old pieces of armour from some dungeon? What's the Tinkers drive to collect loot? Of, let's say, he doesn't use guns (very very odd scenario imho) and no mech suit... what would be left? He crafts ammo, gadgets, gizmos? So, he'd be an engineer. They can do all of that, in addition to being a Mage, Warlock of whatever you picked.

But you need to be an engineer to make a gun. A bow is somewhat low-tech in comparison, but a rifle, on the other hand, isn't. A well-versed Tinker, who can make Gun-Turrets, should also be able to forge a rifle.

The entire issue is that, similar to Rogues, Warriors and Hunters, the Tinker, in theory, wouldn't be a special person, but someone who chose a certain style to fight. Stealth, Brute force, Ranged attacks and ferocity and animal companions, and the Tinker, who crafts weapons, gear, gadgets and gizmos to solve problems. Only issue is that we already have that in a way, in the form of an engineer.

I'm not saying it is impossible. I just think It'd be weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know if they would. You couldn't universally answer for all of them. A decent part of them would, imho, feel the need to be able to make such wonderous weapons of destruction of their own. To me, It'd feel off if if they couldn't do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Exaclty, game design would still need to apply. If you can craft a Mech suit, what need would you have for some old pieces of armour from some dungeon? What's the Tinkers drive to collect loot? Of, let's say, he doesn't use guns (very very odd scenario imho) and no mech suit... what would be left? He crafts ammo, gadgets, gizmos? So, he'd be an engineer. They can do all of that, in addition to being a Mage, Warlock of whatever you picked.
    Honestly, same reason a Druid uses any weapons at all. Its all stat stick stuff. What you are referring to has always been absent/ignorant of lore.

Quote Originally Posted by DotEleven View Post
    The healing substances being administered via technical means.

Potions are made by alchemists. But the engineers make an injection device to use the potion. Just like they could with this.
    And engineers will make bots that don't do anything, because they can't make potions. That's the problem, here. Classes are supposed to be self-sufficient for the most part. Having to buy several different types of potions by the bulk almost on a daily basis is not being "self-sufficient".

- - - Updated - - -

There is no issue.

They can literally make any class they want. There are no limits. We have a Monk that uses Shaman magic, stated specifically by the Lore writer. If that isn't overlap, I don't know what is.
    Who said anything about "overlap"? The issue isn't "overlap", but how classes are self-sufficient for the most part.

Honestly, same reason a Druid uses any weapons at all. Its all stat stick stuff. What you are referring to has always been absent/ignorant of lore.
    But a druid is a magical being. Just say he draws strength from the magic in his gear, and be done with it.

Again, If Blizz can make it work, go for it. But I still think that Tinker is more of a profession, and less of a class. We desperatly need more ranged classes, preferably one that uses Bows and Guns to break the hunters monopole on these, and a Tinker could fill that niche, but I think he might feel like more of a hunter that picked up engineering. There are other options to explore that'd feel more... in lack of a better word... epic.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2019-02-19 at 09:49 PM.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    a suitcase nuke with 15 min cd, so they can kill anything of the mobs and i leaves trace of cockroaches on he ground for 15 sec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think of it like Tony Stark in Iron Man. He made an Arc Reactor and a Mark I Iron Man suit from missile parts. So essentially a Tinker could take various parts and create more advanced weaponry, or make the existing weapon better. So say a Tinker loots a gun from a monster, the Tinker could then put upgrades on the gun and make it a far more devastating weapon.

A robot designed to house and shoot healing beams at wounded targets requires technology.
    And said robot will do nothing but shoot air without alchemy, which the engineer is not skilled at.

Again, building a robot technologically advanced enough to heal others requires advanced technology. What the robot is using is irrelevant.
    No, it's not irrelevant. It is very relevant. A key point, even.

Again, look at the Monk class. Monks weren't known as healers in WoW, however, the standard Monk trope in RPGs is healing, and Blizzard took that and gave Monks a healing spec. There's more examples of Tinkers and Engineers being able to heal than Monks healing before MoP.
    Except the difference is that we had little to no presence of monks around WoW, whereas, with technology and alchemy, you've seen those practically all around Azeroth wherever goblins and gnomes gather.

Two examples. Considering the many, many other examples of "artificers" being jewelcrafters, I imagine those being the exception rather than the norm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't universally answer for them, but really neither could you or anyone else that isn't Blizz. It really comes down more to what lore Blizz chooses to bring in and lean on. But because it isn't a universal answer set up in lore at this point (to my knowledge at least), I'm not sure why engineers making guns would be a stopping point. In your case where that's part of how you see them, you might want engineering as a profession. In mine where I see them likely to mess with various chemical reagents, I'd likely steer more towards alchemy.

Think of it like Tony Stark in Iron Man. He made an Arc Reactor and a Mark I Iron Man suit from missile parts. So essentially a Tinker could take various parts and create more advanced weaponry, or make the existing weapon better. So say a Tinker loots a gun from a monster, the Tinker could then put upgrades on the gun and make it a far more devastating weapon.
    Yes, he could. It's a decent fantasy aswell. I've had characters in Pen&Paper that followed a similar narrative. But then, how would the Tinker be able to do so, and the Engineer wouldn't?

I know Tinker has a lot of fans. But I think that they might set themselves up for disappointment if they expect the class. Same has been said about Demon Hunters, of course, but they have a certain... epic feel to them. Something unique. A Tinker would just feel like a hunter that picked up engineering. Maybe it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Sure, but engineers already have access to bandage guns and potion injectors.
    they took demon form away from warlocks and gave it to DHs... pretty sure they can take those things from a profession