Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I enjoyed this movie! I wasn't pissed off about the script or acting, which is important. The last movie I saw which is somewhat in the ballpark in genre/purpose, is Aquaman, and that also had forced romance and pretty weird reactions from the characters in many of the situations, like they had forgotten their lines, but in the case of Alita, I didn't laugh out loud because of ridiculous acting/script. Not a deep movie, but beautiful, lighter than you would expect, immersive and easy to enjoy.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    Oh, it wasn't my intention to accuse you of making assumptions. I just wanted to let you know that it isn't all action, and there is a lot of character progression (especially for Alita) in terms of story. I'm just trying to get more people to see this film because I liked it so much haha. Me needs a sequel.

- - - Updated - - -

It's kind of awkward because this movie technically does more for wamen than Captain Marvel will likely do, but sjws are lambasting it for some reason. I'm kind of making an assumption since I haven't seen the film, but based on the trailers for Captain Marvel, they make her seem like another generic one dimensional bad ass that just feels a bit try-hard if you get me. Alita actually has a character arc throughout the film and is likable.

I hope I'm wrong about Captain Marvel and they can do what Alita did, but the trailers and recent controversy around some of the stuff Brie Larson has been saying makes me a tad worried.
    I dont complain about women, i lover river on Firefly, i just hate the whoe lets make this about feminism thing

Oh, it wasn't my intention to accuse you of making assumptions. I just wanted to let you know that it isn't all action, and there is a lot of character progression (especially for Alita) in terms of story. I'm just trying to get more people to see this film because I liked it so much haha. Me needs a sequel.
    Well it's doing well financially, it's fresh and has a 94% audience score. lol I'm sure it'll get a sequel with positive word of mouth. I am a bit surprised by the 60% rating though. I don't let critics dictate what I watch, but there definitely seems to be a disconnect with a general audience appeal. Like I'm sure it's very well made and faithful to the source material which is pleasing its niche audience, and it would please most anime and sci-fi fans but it doesn't appear to be the type of film that can hook everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    I dont complain about women, i lover river on Firefly, i just hate the whoe lets make this about feminism thing
    I completely agree with you.

I completely agree with you.
    Now all we have to do is make those women fat lazy and demanding but still lovable

Once you watch the trailer for about 40 seconds the eyes stop being something that sticks out to you. What they really do is differentiate her from the rest of them...and since she's an ancient tech piece that isnt supposed to be like the rest of them (if she's even human at her core) I think it does that well.

I really dislike when live action means the characters lose their distinct appeal and visuals. So actually I like this. At first I didnt but keeping an open mind about it allows you to let it grow on you.

If you dont like it, that's okay. Just dont try to tell everyone else they dont like it.

I liked the movie, I hoped for the full story line and not only for the first part of a sequel we may never see finished.

It seems like a sad truth, that the standard hollywood cinema medium is just not the best plattform for anything but popcorn sommer movies. Imagine Alita as a streaming realease without age/cinema restrictions or even a miniseries.

I hope the radio/TV -> cinema/streaming transition is soon over and good movies wont get mangled to death for a dead format.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Well it's doing well financially, it's fresh and has a 94% audience score. lol I'm sure it'll get a sequel with positive word of mouth. I am a bit surprised by the 60% rating though. I don't let critics dictate what I watch, but there definitely seems to be a disconnect with a general audience appeal. Like I'm sure it's very well made and faithful to the source material which is pleasing its niche audience, and it would please most anime and sci-fi fans but it doesn't appear to be the type of film that can hook everyone.
    I'll admit I am a bit biased towards sci fi and anime related films. Those are basically two of my favorite genres mashed together, but I still try to be critical where I can. Hard to 100% eliminate that bias, though.

Personally, I think a lot of the critics just don't get it. I read a review by Richard Roeper who gave the film 1.5/5 stars because it was a "big-budget ripoff of much better sci fi". If he actually did his research, he'd know the movie is pretty faithful to the source material, which was a manga (1990) and anime (1993). The sci fi concepts explored in those was very unique for their time too. So no, it was far from a "rip off", and Roeper is just being lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    I liked the movie, I hoped for the full story line and not only for the first part of a sequel we may never see finished.

It seems like a sad truth, that the standard hollywood cinema medium is just not the best plattform for anything but popcorn sommer movies. Imagine Alita as a streaming realease without age/cinema restrictions or even a miniseries.

I hope the radio/TV -> cinema/streaming transition is soon over and good movies wont get mangled to death for a dead format.
    I'd really like the full story as well, but if they tried to lump all of that into one film, it would be a mess. It just wouldn't work. That's why we need a sequel pronto haha.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Alita: Battle Angel was a really good film, I loved it and while sure there is some splicing and dicing from the source material; overall I found myself loving every bit of it.

I am really hoping they continue the story and so far it seems to be a financial success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I just got done seeing it for myself, and those "giant" eyes didn't really bother me as much I thought it would. I enjoyed the film more than I thought I would, and I hope they make a sequel to continue the story.

Man, I'll be so pissed if we don't get a sequel...and I don't recall wanting a sequel to a movie that badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Man, I'll be so pissed if we don't get a sequel...and I don't recall wanting a sequel to a movie that badly.
    I actually feel kind of depressed because it's rare to be so surprised by a movie everyone expected to suck. I want to experience that feeling I had watching it the first time again. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was my favorite film of the year.
    Last edited by Asphyx22; 2019-02-21 at 01:39 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I actually feel kind of depressed because it's rare to be so surprised by a movie everyone expected to suck. I want to experience that feeling I had watching it the first time again. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was my favorite film of the year.
    So far it is doing fantastically well despite a big lack of media coverage. Its made a lot more money than expected and is well ahead of schedule and will likely do well internationally and bring in a nice profit.

The big issue it has is that in the United States its very much an ANIME movie, and that isn't well respected by a lot of mainstream critics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    So far it is doing fantastically well despite a big lack of media coverage. Its made a lot more money than expected and is well ahead of schedule and will likely do well internationally and bring in a nice profit.

The big issue it has is that in the United States its very much an ANIME movie, and that isn't well respected by a lot of mainstream critics.
    From what I hear, it's blowing up in China. It got super high ratings and has generated tons of interest. I'd honestly prefer to see the sequel to this film over the next Avatar.

Watched it. Its an OK movie, with obvious sequel incoming.
    Action scenes were well made and the eyes stopped being an issue after some time (first reactions in the cinema was obvious laughter). However, the overall faces are not on WarCraft orc level and there were shots were they look quite worse than just seconds before. Then again, nothing has been so far.
    What I didnt like is, without going into spoilers, what was the war about, how it ended/what became of the factions? Nothing about that was even talked about. Then again, sequel I guess. Oh, and that lovestory was very weak.

I don't really like the changes they made from the manga. The movie was overall great but I just can't get over the differences.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    What I didnt like is, without going into spoilers, what was the war about, how it ended/what became of the factions? Nothing about that was even talked about. Then again, sequel I guess. Oh, and that lovestory was very weak.
    The war was 300 years ago though, so given the state of the world, people probably don't really care anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    The war was 300 years ago though, so given the state of the world, people probably don't really care anymore.
    I considered it akin to Luke and Obi Wan referencing the Clone Wars in A New Hope. Nobody knew about that at the time. I also think it helps set up the world building in Alita.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Yeah, but then what is the point setting up 300 year old enemies against each other again? Why were they even fighting back then? That wasnt told.
    Of course, we later see that the dude Mr. Evil is, well, "evil and does evil stuff", so that gives a reason. I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Yeah, but then what is the point setting up 300 year old enemies against each other again? Why were they even fighting back then? That wasnt told.
    Of course, we later see that the dude Mr. Evil is, well, "evil and does evil stuff", so that gives a reason. I guess.
    Purely in the context of the movie, it seemed like he just wanted her dead because she was potentially dangerous. I didn't feel any huge reason behind it.