Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 35 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    I doubt that female audiences will "replace" the... lets call it... "traditional" audience for this kind of movie. The last time a big push was made by hollywood to embrace female audiences they went right back to the "traditional" audience because the numbers werent there.

Now, dont get me wrong, none of this has anything to do with my opinion, hollywood is about one thing above everything else: money. If Capt. Marvel brings the numbers then they will keep going that route but if it doesnt they will go down safer routes and just make guardians of the galaxy again with her on the lead. This worked great with Thor so at least they have that template as a backup.

The only thing that worries me (in as much as I worry about this kind of thing) is the fact that if this movie "flops" on any level then you will get a bunch of professional snow flakes screaming that the world is sexist and that men intentionally made it flop. News outlets (or whatever passes as one this days) will be more than happy to run long with this sort of thing and just blow it out of proportion for the rest of the year.
    Yeah I can relate and agree with this take for the most part. I mean it’s been sad so it’s not new but the movie has to be good period.

If it’s good no amount of boycotting one way or another is going to make any difference despite the claims. As I said it looks good but keep in mind I’m not the audience that has to show up. The whole Future is Female is tongue in cheek. I do support the push. But with any film they have to do the work.

My big question is when not if will MCU face burn out. A franchise can be hot one minute and then fizzle. Female or Not
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    She literally never said that...
    Indeed, she said she doesn't want white men on the press tour, she's perfectly fine with taking their money.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    That's not what she said, she stated she wanted more diversity in the press pool of interviewers and film reviewers.

Here's a link. It's a Variety article, but has video of her addressing it so that should be pretty straightforward.
    https://variety.com/2018/scene/news/...cs-1202845853/
    So people are acting like her saying she wants more diversity is the same as attacking white men, can’t say I’m surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Indeed, she said she doesn't want white men on the press tour, she's perfectly fine with taking their money.
    She never says that.

I seriously don't get the fucking idiots in here saying "she literally said this!!!" When she actually said, three times, the opposite. I mean for fucks sake, she's at a WOMEN IN FILM conference. It's all about diversity. Women of color are the absolute least represented when it comes to film and critics. Statistically speaking, it's highly unlikely that the "best" at that job just happens to be all white guys. It's more likely that other groups of people just don't have the same oppturnity when it comes to access of early screenings for reviews.

You guys are seriously fucking retarded if you actually think at any point in time she's hating on white guys.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    mar-vell was a different character.
    Umm no. The first captain Marvel, created by Stan Lee, was Captain Mar-Vell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(Mar-Vell)

There's been many iterations in the comics, but Mar-vell and Captain marvel are the same person. Don't know why you would think differently.

The first Captain Marvel printed by Marvel Comics was created by Stan Lee and Gene Colan in Marvel Super-Heroes #12 (December 1967).[4] This character is an alien military officer, Captain Mar-Vell of the Kree Imperial Militia, who is sent to observe the planet Earth as it is developing technology to travel into space. Mar-Vell eventually wearies of his superiors' malign intent and allies himself with Earth, and the Kree Empire brands him a traitor. From then on, Mar-Vell fights to protect Earth from all threats.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Ignoring bullshit politics, anyone just think the movie looks bland? The previews have been awful and I've been completely ignoring press around this movie. I'm a close to a untainted viewer as possible...
    That's where I'm at with it, just looks bland. Will probably end up watching it on a friend's couch after saying, "Oh. Uh, sure."

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    So people are acting like her saying she wants more diversity is the same as attacking white men, can’t say I’m surprised.
    And is somehow racist. It's not an expression of superiority to say different people have different perspectives and that you'd like more representation of perspectives which you feel reflect your own.
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2019-02-20 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    I doubt that female audiences will "replace" the... lets call it... "traditional" audience for this kind of movie.
    Is there really a "traditional" audience for this type of movie anymore? Like, literally EVERY SINGLE girl I know IRL gets excited when a new Marvel movie comes out. Most of them go see them in the theater, with or without boyfriends/husbands dragging them along, and the theaters seem pretty evenly split every time I go to one. And these movies aren't making billions of dollars from men alone, that's for sure.

For something like The Expendables, or John Wick, or The Raid movies...yeah, I suspect the majority of the audience is men. But comic movies? Maybe 12-15 years ago, sure, but I would say comic movies, esp the MCU, have for quite some time now not had a "traditional" audience, with the viewers encompassing a rather diverse mix of ages, races, and genders.

That said, I still don't have much interest in the movie. Brie Larsen has never impressed me as an actress(and what she shows in the trailers sure hasn't done anything to change my mind), Carol Danvers as a character has just been ugh for years(since before she even was Captain Marvel), and I'm not really thrilled with the idea of Captain Marvel coming in and just being the most powerful hero in the MCU.
    Last edited by Stormcall; 2019-02-20 at 07:14 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post

There’s a link to what she said on this very page unless you have another source you seem to be full of It .

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    She never says that.

I seriously don't get the fucking idiots in here saying "she literally said this!!!" When she actually said, three times, the opposite. I mean for fucks sake, she's at a WOMEN IN FILM conference. It's all about diversity. Women of color are the absolute least represented when it comes to film and critics. Statistically speaking, it's highly unlikely that the "best" at that job just happens to be all white guys. It's more likely that other groups of people just don't have the same oppturnity when it comes to access of early screenings for reviews.

You guys are seriously fucking retarded if you actually think at any point in time she's hating on white guys.
    Well ackshually, it is statistically likely it would be white males, as they have the largest pool to draw from. You'll have the highest and lowest performing represented way more thoroughly.

On the controversy as a whole: What a joke. Who the fuck cares? Shit's boring to see and listen to. Who cares who represents what reviews and so on? If they want more black people, women, cats, whatever, let them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    She literally never said that...

But please, keep on hating women
    She said she wanted more diversity in the press and all around really.
    "SHE SAID SHE HATES WHITE MEN!!!"
    Ehm... wtf? How can someone twist it that much, like really wtf is wrong with some people?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    There’s a link to what she said on this very page unless you have another source you seem to be full of It .
    Think there is 1 false source that all these incels are refering to. Just to make em feel better...

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Well ackshually, it is statistically likely it would be white males, as they have the largest pool to draw from. You'll have the highest and lowest performing represented way more thoroughly.

On the controversy as a whole: What a joke. Who the fuck cares? Shit's boring to see and listen to. Who cares who represents what reviews and so on? If they want more black people, women, cats, whatever, let them.
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic with your comment or not. Their population is roughly 35% in the US. So you wouldn't have nearly 100% of movie critics/reviewers being white men. That's very highly statistically unlikely without some sort of oppturnity issue or straight up discrimination.

Preventing discrimination is a pretty important issue for many people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Ignoring bullshit politics, anyone just think the movie looks bland? The previews have been awful and I've been completely ignoring press around this movie. I'm a close to a untainted viewer as possible...

I called that this movie was going to flop in the 2019 flop thread... Unfortunately nothing has really changed, I mean what's the selling point here? You'd think marvel would have went all out on a character that is lesser known to casual movie fans. If you look at other lesser known marvel character movies, AntMan, Black Panther, GotG, Marvel went all out in those. The casts are phenomenal, cgi top notch, but jesus... This looks like green lantern.
    I’m wasn’t a fan when she was ms marvel and became less of a fan when she swapped over to captain marvel so Mabye it’s because of that but movie looks pretty meh at best to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    She said she wanted more diversity in the press and all around really.
    "SHE SAID SHE HATES WHITE MEN!!!"
    Ehm... wtf? How can someone twist it that much, like really wtf is wrong with some people?

- - - Updated - - -

Think there is 1 false source that all these incels are refering to. Just to make em feel better...

I could buy that people love to use fake sources when it comes to marvel and diversity like when that one quote about comic sales was taken out of context and plastered every where.

I'm sort of ticked off by the movie. And really, it's mostly the marketing and Brie's exceptionally toxic behavior.

I was hoping to see some reviews that might alleviate my concerns, but when so many are just giving the general "First of It's Kind" and "Totally Unique & Original" I just tune out now. I think this marketing may have worked without Wonder Woman killing it just a few years ago, but right now? It's just getting to really annoying levels.

I haven't actually missed an MCU premiere, but I really don't think I want to support this movie =/ SLJ is the only reason I'm still paying attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im watching because of the Skrulls!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just hope they dont cross over Capt Marvel and Endgame. Would be kind of dumb if they give her Nebulas redemption arc after all the shit Thanos has put Nubula through in the movies and comic.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic with your comment or not. Their population is roughly 35% in the US. So you wouldn't have nearly 100% of movie critics/reviewers being white men. That's very highly statistically unlikely without some sort of oppturnity issue or straight up discrimination.

Preventing discrimination is a pretty important issue for many people.
    What opportunity or discrimination issue?

"Top critics" tend to be picked by the public, since it goes on views and level of interest in what they review.

Companies tend to hire or raise up critics that draw attention to themselves and increase readership/sell copies/generate clicks/whatever.

Also it's not nearly 100% of critics. You might get away with suggesting it's 50-60%.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    This one has Ghostbuster 2016 written all over it after all the actress activism that's been going on. When you're promoting a movie the last things you'd want to do is belittle one of the core audiences.
    Critics loved Ghostbusters...and they loved the Last Jedi...

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Terrible miscast. They try to achive the screen presence of Gal Gadot with an actor that has the frame of Michael Cera. I'm told that Larson is a good actress (haven't seen her in anything good so far, though), but the friendly girl next door isn't exaclty who you'd use for a super-strong semi-alien Ultrawarrior.
    That's ironic, considering in the lead up to Wonder Woman, all people could do was bitch about how skinny Gal Gadot was, how she didn't exude the strength of Wonder Woman, how Gina Carrano should have been cast because she was truly Amazonian and strong, etc, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    That's ironic, considering in the lead up to Wonder Woman, all people could do was bitch about how skinny Gal Gadot was, how she didn't exude the strength of Wonder Woman, how Gina Carrano should have been cast because she was truly Amazonian and strong, etc, etc, etc.
    Really? Because we had already seen her during the lead up to WW, in BvS. And iirc, she wasn't in any trailers for that movie; at least not in costume. All people had to go on were stills. Seeing Brie Larson in motion fills me with about as much awe and wonder as a paper clip.

I'm sorry, I meant the lead up to her being in the DCCU. When she was cast, the outrage was strong. She killed her cameo as WW in BvS, and she killed in WW, and now everyone is, "Why can't Brie Larson exude the strength of Gal Gadot?"

The Gina Carrano hype for WW was strong. I've been a moderator of this subforum now for like, 6 years, and it's the same pattern every time. Everyone throw a fit if there's any sort of "agenda" (it should really be "anything they make up to fit an agenda they want to rail against"), then it comes out, there's nothing to it, and you judge the movie on its merits. With Ghostbusters 2016, it was a bad movie regardless of the cast, with Wonder Woman, all the outrage died. The outrage for Black Panther was high, the outrage for the new Sabrina Netflix series was high, and so on, and so forth.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Best part about the movie is Brie Larson expressionless face. If she ever dies in a movie, she can play a corpse with 100% realism.