10+ Year Old Account
    What if Xalatath is related to Karesh in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by Ornith View Post
    This is the discussion of speculations, not a whine thread. Why in the world did you feel yourself entitled to come there and start this discussion?
    Please read the posts that lead to the one you've quoted, it hasn't started as whining.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I just can't believe that 8.2 is where we'll get Naz'jatar... Makes me wonder what the hell 8.3 will bring?? What CAN it bring?
    Nothing? Because there won't be 8.3? That was exactly my point before my post was turned into a "whine". Maybe we should start talking about the possibility of 8.2 being the final patch of BfA which makes a lot more sense regarding its scope and theme. I don't know why this option is ruled out by so many in this thread.

8.2 is definitely bigger than 7.2 and maybe 6.2, might have the scope of Isle of Thunder - it could totally fit the "final patch of an expansion" scenario.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2019-02-18 at 05:00 PM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Nothing? Because there won't be 8.3? That was exactly my point before my post was turned into a "whine". Maybe we should start talking about the possibility of 8.2 being the final patch of BfA which makes a lot more sense regarding its scope and theme. I don't know why this option is ruled out by so many in this thread.

8.2 is definitely bigger than 7.2 and maybe 6.2, might have the scope of Isle of Thunder - it could totally fit the "final patch of an expansion" scenario.
    First of all, it's worth pointing out here that Isle of Thunder was not the last patch of MoP. Timeless Isle came after it alongside Siege of Orgrimmar.

While 8.2 is definitely shaping up to be a fairly large patch, there are a lot of signs pointing to it not being so. Story-wise, it makes no sense to start this war storyline, switch gears to go fight Azshara, then do nothing to actually close up the storyline itself. Blizz themselves seem to have indicated that more story was to come with Jeremy Feasel's "What's Next" fish slide at the end of last Blizzcon's WoW panel. Timing-wise, 8.2 seems likely to show up in June/July. Unless they are planning on the next expansion launching in early Spring (unlikely unless they greatly changed their dev direction months ago or are planning on expansions being far smaller now), they'd be looking at an extremely long wait between content patches without anything to fill the gap...something they've mentioned a few times that they'd like to avoid.

We also need to look at how they are handling core BfA systems in 8.2 to see this pattern. They may not be adding a Warfront, but they are completely overhauling the Azerite system. If they were just abandoning BfA, they'd likely just try another spotty patch fix and ignore it from there until the next expansion. Such an overhaul suggests that they have further purpose for this fix, meaning they likely have more content than just 8.2 to use it in.

One other factor to consider here: WoD. Blizz supposedly cut the development of WoD early to focus on Legion (would link a source, but couldn't find one in a quick google search), but it still took the same nearly two-year span to get an expansion out. Blizz has already made this mistake once, they would likely not do the same one again. Different mistakes, sure...Blizz makes those a good amount. But it's rare to see Blizz make the same mistake repeatedly.

Finally, Blizz has already revealed that there will be an 8.2.5, we know this is coming. This is the patch where the new Worgen/Goblin models are set to release. If Blizz had no plans for an 8.3, they almost certainly would have kept that under their hats as another exciting thing to spike pre-orders for the next expansion (which 8.2.5 would likely lead into then).

My question then is why do you actually seem to believe that 8.3 won't happen? There seem to be plenty of indicators that 8.3 is coming, yet I don't seem to see any real evidence (aside from people that specifically want the next expansion out sooner for one reason or another) that indicate 8.2 as being the last content patch.

I really want to see the ruins of zin azshari

Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    *snip*
    First: thanks for your elaborate response, I'll make mine quite short because I answered those questions several times in the last months. Will just go over a few points:

- 8.2.5 will contain the raid so it was obvious that we'll get an 8.2.5 patch.

- What indicators are there besides the "What's next?" slide? I mean that doesn't even indicate 8.3. It could be 9.0 and the next expansion as well. BfA has been a mess story-wise and feature-wise from start to now (and it'll be until finish)

- BfA is nowhere near the success of Legion, it's more of a "WoD" than a "Legion", something Blizzard clearly didn't want and didn't expect either with incredibly bland and boring new features or completely broken gameplay systems (this only happened in WoD before with the Garrison)

- It would make sense to finish off with Azshara, reminscent of Gul'dan in HFC where she will be the catalyst for the events in 9.0 revolving around N'zoth etc.; they could easily end the abysmal faction war storyline in 8.2(.5)

- the timing: 6.2 and HFC came out in June '15, Legion launched August '16. I don't expect the Azshara raid to be here in June or July with CoS being in the pipeline as well; if they manage delay the Azshara raid to August/September the timeframe until the upcoming expansion might be <12 months which is the average time of content drought from final patch to new expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    First: thanks for your elaborate response, I'll make mine quite short because I answered those questions several times in the last months. Will just go over a few points:

- What indicators are there besides the "What's next?" slide? I mean that doesn't even indicate 8.3. It could be 9.0 and the next expansion as well. BfA has been a mess story-wise and feature-wise from start to now (and it'll be until finish)

- BfA is nowhere near the success of Legion, it's more of a "WoD" than a "Legion", something Blizzard clearly didn't want and didn't expect either with incredibly bland and boring new features or completely broken gameplay systems (this only happened in WoD before with the Garrison)

- It would make sense to finish off with Azshara, reminscent of Gul'dan in HFC where she will be the catalyst for the events in 9.0 revolving around N'zoth etc.; they could easily end the abysmal faction war storyline in 8.2(.5)

- the timing: 6.2 and HFC came out in June '15, Legion launched August '16. I don't expect the Azshara raid to be here in June or July with CoS being in the pipeline as well; if they manage delay the Azshara raid to August/September the timeframe until the upcoming expansion might be <12 months which is the average time of content drought from final patch to new expansion
    I see where you are coming from, but I do think we will get an 8.3 and 8.3.5 just like Legion.

Well, it saddens me that Kul'tirans probably wont get any other customization options such as tattoos or jewelry and shiet.. I was talking about it like a month ago and compare to Zandalari the amount of customization is still lacking.

And here was i that i will make my Pirate big kultiran rogue with tattoos and stuff.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheMizAwesome View Post
    Well, it saddens me that Kul'tirans probably wont get any other customization options such as tattoos or jewelry and shiet.. I was talking about it like a month ago and compare to Zandalari the amount of customization is still lacking.

And here was i that i will make my Pirate big kultiran rogue with tattoos and stuff.
    Maybe you still will be able to, do we have a set date for when KT/ZD are coming? Maybe there's more left to go

1) Why would you think that they'd tease an expansion announcement in the What's Next panel? It is literally exactly what they did for 7.3. The expansion announcement will be this year's Blizzcon, when we will be in 7.2 advancing towards 7.3
    2) Why would they be working to salvage systems like Azerite in 8.2 if it is the last content patch? You'd just tone it down (see: Garrison shipyard, a milder version of the Garrison tables), not double down on it and introduce additional systems on top of it.
    3) WoD is absolutely, 100% not the only time bland and boring new features were added and then abandoned. Were you not around for MoP where Scenarios were completely awful fall beyond the point of islands or warfronts and they tried to save it in patches and it was still awful, so they eventually abandoned the system in favor of just using them for storytelling solo/raid moments.
    4) "The Timing" is not a point of evidence when your argument is "The timing could possibly be some other timing in the future!" So far BfA mirrors Legion, patch content has just been shifted back. The X.1 dungeon has been shifted to X.2 and the X.2 area is an actual new area instead of the broken shore.
    5) N'zoth was shown in the introductory warbringers, he is a major part of 8.1.5 and 8.2, why would you think he's actually 9.0

This reminds me of those dumb "GUYS LEGION IS THE LAST EXPANSION, THERE'S NO WAY THEY'D DO THE EMERALD NIGHTMARE AND NAGA AND THE LEGION UNLESS IT WAS THE LAST EXPANSION!!!!!" posts we got when Legion was in development.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    1) Why would you think that they'd tease an expansion announcement in the What's Next panel? It is literally exactly what they did for 7.3. The expansion announcement will be this year's Blizzcon, when we will be in 7.2 advancing towards 7.3
    2) Why would they be working to salvage systems like Azerite in 8.2 if it is the last content patch? You'd just tone it down (see: Garrison shipyard, a milder version of the Garrison tables), not double down on it and introduce additional systems on top of it.
    3) WoD is absolutely, 100% not the only time bland and boring new features were added and then abandoned. Were you not around for MoP where Scenarios were completely awful fall beyond the point of islands or warfronts and they tried to save it in patches and it was still awful, so they eventually abandoned the system in favor of just using them for storytelling solo/raid moments.
    4) "The Timing" is not a point of evidence when your argument is "The timing could possibly be some other timing in the future!" So far BfA mirrors Legion, patch content has just been shifted back. The X.1 dungeon has been shifted to X.2 and the X.2 area is an actual new area instead of the broken shore.
    5) N'zoth was shown in the introductory warbringers, he is a major part of 8.1.5 and 8.2, why would you think he's actually 9.0

This reminds me of those dumb "GUYS LEGION IS THE LAST EXPANSION, THERE'S NO WAY THEY'D DO THE EMERALD NIGHTMARE AND NAGA AND THE LEGION UNLESS IT WAS THE LAST EXPANSION!!!!!" posts we got when Legion was in development.
    1. Pretty sure the expansion announcement this year will happen at Gamescom again, as I said above, because BfA is a lot more comparable to WoD than Legion. But we'll see in half a year.

2. Because they know we'll have this expansion for at least 1 year or more. And they know how the game systems drove away players already in the first months and they must do something. They can't leave it in this state and hope to retain enough players for the upcoming expansion.

3. Not the only time, right. But it's the expansion were all of it culminated (up until BfA). MoP had enough points to salvage the expansion, WoD and BfA hasn't (on the feature-side).

4. How can it mirror Legion when patch content has just been shifted back. This can be said for WoD as well, BfA is mirroring WoD because 8.1 just offers a bit more overland stuff and opens the already introduced raid whereas 8.2 gets the new "systems" and the new zone. Don't get me wrong, 6.1 was hardly better than 8.1 (they're both equally bad but 8.1 has still more content so it takes the point here).

5. Because they changed plans after they realized how lukewarm BfA's reception is. They couldn't really know at the time they released the video.

My reasoning is just another view on BfA. Sure, BfA could get 8.3 and 8.3.5. Would be easily achievable with all the stuff left (the entire N'zoth plotline). Nevertheless it's as likely that 8.2 will be a huge patch that resolves a lot of plotlines that were planned for 8.3, she's the catalyst for the events in 9.0+ (like Gul'dan in WoD->Legion) and we move on a lot faster from this expansion than expected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you as well for the elaborate response. Apologies for not seeing where you answered the questions before...just didn't feel like reading 149 pages of comments. In any case, I'll try to answer each of your points with my thoughts about them.

I'd argue 8.2 will contain the raid, though it almost certainly won't come out at the exact same time as 8.2 releases. Given that the 8.1.5 raid has two bosses, it's hard to see Blizz thinking they can hold off from 8.1.5 until 8.2.5 with only 2 bosses, particularly if 8.2.5 takes a while to release. 8.2.5 wasn't fully obvious to me for that reason, but as they announced it at Blizzcon, that means that 8.2.5 at least is confirmed.

It would be weird for them to tease a slide about "What's next?", then change gears and say "Whoops, that was actually 9.0." But even putting that aside, we also have to look at the story as-is. Removing Sylvanas and setting up whatever peace we will have would feel rushed in a patch like 8.2.5. Plus, there are a lot of KT/Zandalar specific threads to close out to make that happen. Ashvane and the Horde, Bwonsamdi and his pact with Rastakhan, Vol'jin, the C'thraxxi around Stormsong...those are all hanging threads before we even get into the spoilery stuff from 8.1.5 and/or the Mechagon stuff coming in 8.2. While some of those might continue into a future expansion and others might be able to be resolved in a small patch, they are all things centered around either KT or Zandalar which would feel weird to leave hanging.

While I'm not sure it's to the level of WoD, BfA clearly has not gone as well as Legion overall. However, there is one marked difference between WoD and BfA which I mentioned in my comment above...that being that Blizz is working on fixing up the broken systems in BfA. In WoD, Blizz more or less left the garrison as it was, only adding a shipyard. BfA on the other hand has seen several improvements to things like Island Expeditions as well as an entirely new setup for Azerite gear coming in 8.2. If this were simply another WoD, they'd likely just throw another two rings on the Azerite gear, get rid of reforge costs, and call it a day.

It's also worth noting that WoD was their first expansion trying out their new pipeline and they obviously shifted the story around to better flow into Legion. BfA comes at a time when they are fully within this new setup and as they really can't just shift gears on a dime like an actual indie studio, they are more or less stuck with BfA for better or worse until it completes. Otherwise, their flow to the 9.0 storyline will likely be very broken, unless it was already set to be that way before BfA launched (unlikely). That's not even getting into the issue of how many subs will drop with nothing left to do, another lesson from WoD.

I'm not sure I agree here. Azshara could perhaps lead us to N'Zoth, true...but there really isn't much of anywhere else for her to lead us currently. The other spot which might have made sense for her to take us is Nazjatar, which is where we'll be for the duration of 8.2. N'Zoth however can lead us to so many places. The Black Empire, Nyalotha, the Void...not to mention that given our "Azeroth is dying" overarching plot, whatever happens with him will have a lot more to do with Azeroth's overall condition than anything Azshara does.

I'll definitely grant you that the timing is much closer to WoD than Legion, and that the timing does fit with the potential launch of the next expansion in August/Sept 2020. Delaying the Azshara raid to Aug/Sept would be near insanity for them however, CoS is only two bosses and will not hold players' attention unless it itself is released in late May/early June.

Still though, the timing really is no indicator of a "throw hands up and give up on BfA" scenario, which is what skipping 8.3 would likely be.

@AngerFork

Thanks! Will answer you tomorrow when I am on my PC.

I just wanted to bring up another thing: the timing (again).

If we assume there will be 8.3 and 8.3.5, when exactly will it be released and later on the new expansion? 8.2 will have a release maybe in June. That's the time we already had Tomb of Sargeras in Legion. 7.2 was released end of March, 7.2.5 mid June. When we look at their schedule now and suppose 8.2 will get a June release (which is quite optimistic at regarding their recent delays) 8.2.5 might be released in August. Let's say July, to be very optimistic. The raid will have quite some focus and will at least last for 4 months, more likely 5-6 as usual for tiers. Which brings us to December or early 2019 when we'll see 8.3(.5). That's super late. Even when we assume the next expansion will be released in Nov or Dec '20 (which would make BfA the longest running expansion ever) the last tier would just have a duration of 8-10 months which is overall very short compared to the average of 11-12 months (Antorus was ~ 8.5 months).

So my question is, what is your (and not just asking you AngerFork) schedule for the patches up until the release of xpac 8.

The timing is one of the reasons I think 8.3 is unlikely (my opinion!). With an 8.2 release in June and a raid release in July/August we're much closer to WoDs schedule than Legion's. 6.2 and HFC were released in June '15 iirc (looked it up, June 23rd).
    Last edited by Nyel; 2019-02-22 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Abandoning WoD cost them. So many assets, so much time underused. I honestly think this time around they will try to salvage it.
    Wait, it did, how? I thought due to negative response, abandoning it and focusing on Legion (which was very well-received) was a win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Wait, it did, how? I thought due to negative response, abandoning it and focusing on Legion (which was very well-received) was a win.
    It was abandoned and thus during the whole time WoW suffered for it even if there was some good stuff in there. Doing that again would be....not a smart move Ironically I've seen almost as much as Legion criticism as people do now.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    The development of WoD happened at a time when they had just expanded the team immensely but were struggling with direction thanks to having an influx of new designers cranking out tons and tons of content that the leads couldn't make any decisions on. Based on things datamined from several different versions of WoD alphas, zone layouts changed DRASTICALLY for Gorgrond, Tanaan, Nagrand and even some design started on Faralon. New BGs and Arenas were made that never saw the light of day, a system that allowed you to place a garrison in any zone you wanted, and entirely different raid content than what we were getting in live. The direction of WoD changed about 10 times after its Blizzcon reveal because they had a severe lack of leadership and no clear idea where they need to go. Thanks to fan outcry after they announced that Grom was going to be the final boss, they changed direction after they were pretty late into development (with a looming release date on the horizon) and ended up scrapping about 50% of the things they were already working on just so they could put out a consistent package. Of course, all this got derailed pretty early on after players got so vocal about the lack of content, spreading like a wildfire and causing them to bleed subs.

It was absolutely a win for them to just cut their losses and shift focus over to Legion, which they treated like it was crisis mode and pulled veteran devs off other projects to design systems for it. I think they overreacted personally and probably could have salvaged WoD if they would have ignored the people whining about orc fatigue and told the story they wanted to tell, but at the same time I understand how the development of WoD was pretty chaotic for a team of developers who were incredibly new and inexperienced (and a leadership team struggling to rein it all in). Maybe it would have turned out just as disappointing even if they didn't scrap an entire patch cycle of content, but at least they would have tried.

Having said all that, I really can't fathom why so many people in this thread are assuming there won't be an 8.3. Don't get me wrong, I am not crazy about BFA but the issues with this expansion are so drastically different from what happened with WoD. The future BFA content is already designed. It's just awaiting implementation (and testing on live servers to ensure it's not completely broken prior to go-live). The game is a service, do you think they're just going to not release the content they've already completed because the expansion as a whole is not well received right now? I honestly think we might even get an 8.4 based on all the hints of stuff that have been datamined from 8.1.5. BFA isn't great but it's a severe overreaction to jump all over the "GAME'S DOOMED, CAN'T BE SALVAGED" bandwagon when we're not even past the technical first tier of content yet. Legion just kept getting better as it went on, there is no reason to believe that BFA can't do the same thing and provide compelling content to rope people back in. It will be a battle based on how awful a lot of the current design decisions are, but it's not an impossibility. Revert the GCD change please, it sucks. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by huanjia View Post
    Having said all that, I really can't fathom why so many people in this thread are assuming there won't be an 8.3. Don't get me wrong, I am not crazy about BFA but the issues with this expansion are so drastically different from what happened with WoD. The future BFA content is already designed. It's just awaiting implementation (and testing on live servers to ensure it's not completely broken prior to go-live). The game is a service, do you think they're just going to not release the content they've already completed because the expansion as a whole is not well received right now? I honestly think we might even get an 8.4 based on all the hints of stuff that have been datamined from 8.1.5. BFA isn't great but it's a severe overreaction to jump all over the "GAME'S DOOMED, CAN'T BE SALVAGED" bandwagon when we're not even past the technical first tier of content yet. Legion just kept getting better as it went on, there is no reason to believe that BFA can't do the same thing and provide compelling content to rope people back in. It will be a battle based on how awful a lot of the current design decisions are, but it's not an impossibility. Revert the GCD change please, it sucks. Thank you.
    That's a pretty good point.

But yeah, the gameplay definitely became better with some classes that were broken early on fixed with both 7.2 and 7.3. And it had Mage Tower which was the best thing ever though I think design for that started pretty early.
    +1 x 10000000. 36/36 challenges completed, some of which I did OBSESSIVELY while my ilvl was a little bit below the recommended. This gave you a purpose for leveling + gearing alts, which also comes with the added benefit of learning the nuances of classes/specs you may not have played all that much, which in turn makes you a better overall player by understanding the roles/abilities expected of your raid/m+ group members. I'm honestly shocked they haven't said one way or the other if a mage tower 2.0 will be ready for BFA; the only possible thing I can think of is that, while it might look like it was a huge success from the perspective of wow veterans, maybe the overall participation rate was lackluster? I just have a hard time believing there are still a multitude of players who literally only log in and do some WQs or hyper-casual content and call it a day... why would you sub for THAT?

And to your point of Legion's actual content feeling a bit lackluster as it went on: I agree and disagree. I personally loved ToS, but I know I'm in the minority. There were a couple fights I could have done without but overall I really loved the feel of the zone and didn't particularly hate many of the encounters. I also believe that HFC is probably the greatest raid since Naxxramas so maybe I'm just weird. I was slightly disappointed by Argus but that had more to do with the zone design in general than it did its content. The invasion points were a nice distraction, and I appreciated all catch-up mechanics they put in place for gearing alts and such. I was not crazy about lack of flight on Argus, it felt like a major step backwards when your design philosophy is to make you work for flight for half the expansion, then make the final content area a no fly zone. I also didn't appreciate how so much of the zones felt a bit lifeless in the sense that there was just so much unused real estate.

I didn't really -hate- Broken Shore that much, either. I'm not crazy about "yay, more world quests", but I liked that there was something to work for with the class hall mounts and the continuation of your class hall story. Legion in general just felt super organic in its progression, something that BFA hasn't really managed to capture so far thanks to the generic war campaigns being incredibly uninteresting.

Here is what I expect

8.2 will trash the Azerite system as we know it. It will be folded into an old school talent tree just like the artifact had. It will start with a full reset to the system giving us a fairly substantial boost in power. We might actually even see sets back with Azerite buffs folded into the necklace.
    I also believe that AI bodyguards will prove to be a huge hit and that advanced AI and heroic warfronts will change the way we play PvE content in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Legion gameplay kept getting better as we went on, but Legion content did not. Broken Shore was just awful. Argus for me did not live up to the fantasy of invading the very homeworld of the Legion, I barely ever felt in danger. ToS was imo a raid with horrid encounter design and the non-raid content on Argus just felt low-effort but extremely high reward to keep people playing.
    But yeah, the gameplay definitely became better with some classes that were broken early on fixed with both 7.2 and 7.3. And it had Mage Tower which was the best thing ever though I think design for that started pretty early.
    Azerite-System:

I agree. A complete do-over would be for the best and talent trees have worked so far. With the game being more centred around this, a few tweeks here and there and by 8.2.5/8.3. BfA could be a much better game.

Argus:

The area lacked some polish, true. Maybe they could have mixed Krokuun and the Antoran Wastes somehow. Mac'Aree was perfect for me.

I guess 8.3. will resolve the faction war for now, with the Horde winning for once(not Sylvanas), but the N'zoth making an entry at the same time, strong, but so much in the shadows, that both factions won't stop. Either we haven't faced him until then or his death will be part of the plan. I would love to see a full fledged old god-expansion and it would be a good way to set other expansion themes like light/void/death, etc..
    Last edited by Hardwing; 2019-02-22 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwing View Post

I guess 8.3. will resolve the faction war for now, with the Horde winning for once(not Sylvanas), but the N'zoth making an entry at the same time, strong, but so much in the shadows, that both factions won't stop. Either we haven't faced him until then or his death will be part of the plan. I would love to see a full fledged old god-expansion and it would be a good way to set other expansion themes like light/void/death, etc..
    They teased in blizzcon with N'zoth fish form in the last panel but still I don't know how they will handle that, after all they said Azshara role in this expansion was like Gul'Dan she will start some shit that will kickstart the events of the next expansion and that is probably the black empire that has been teased for a long time. Also I think they are starting to set some Lords for the others magic, we are getting some info about some death god planned the death of Vol'jin and tricked him and Bwomsandi Boss is talked as some powerful being, without mention N'zoth talks about a high table with 6 things
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Been hearin bout blizz putting in TnA npcs into the game soon. Anyone else here this?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    I would love to see an expansion that is not fucked with rng and other turbo casual systems
    I think just bout every expac will be like this. lol
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.