GTX 1660 Ti launch: Will prices drop for competing cards?

Hey guys.

Yesterday morning I was about to purchase the Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ SE RX 580 8GB from Newegg for $214 when I got a phone call that resulted in me being busy all day long. Anyway fast forward to the night and the GTX 1660 Ti was now available for $279+ with various reviews claiming that it is up to 40% better than the card I wanted to purchase while being not that much more expensive and this made me think: How likely is it that we will see price drops for the GTX 1070/Vega 56 or even the RX 580/590 in the next 1-2 weeks?

So the 1660Ti is a 1070 for $100 less than 1070's MSRP almost 3 years ago. It still doesn't feel right tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkhan View Post
    Hey guys.

Yesterday morning I was about to purchase the Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ SE RX 580 8GB from Newegg for $214 when I got a phone call that resulted in me being busy all day long. Anyway fast forward to the night and the GTX 1660 Ti was now available for $279+ with various reviews claiming that it is up to 40% better than the card I wanted to purchase while being not that much more expensive and this made me think: How likely is it that we will see price drops for the GTX 1070/Vega 56 or even the RX 580/590 in the next 1-2 weeks?
    I think the market in general is anemic right now, and people in general aren't buying as much stuff this year. Will the GTX 1070/Vega 56 drop in price in 1-2 weeks? Probably not, but definitely around summer this year. Price of graphic cards have been dropping rapidly and the 1660 Ti shows that the sales of the RTX cards aren't doing so well. But honestly the 1660 Ti's competitor is going to be Navi and it's said to perform like a GTX 1070. Right now RX 580's used are dirt cheap on Ebay as well as the GTX 1060's, and I don't recommend anyone buy new PC hardware right now as prices are likely to drop rapidly in a few months. Used hardware sure but not new.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I think the market in general is anemic right now, and people in general aren't buying as much stuff this year. Will the GTX 1070/Vega 56 drop in price in 1-2 weeks? Probably not, but definitely around summer this year. Price of graphic cards have been dropping rapidly and the 1660 Ti shows that the sales of the RTX cards aren't doing so well. But honestly the 1660 Ti's competitor is going to be Navi and it's said to perform like a GTX 1070. Right now RX 580's used are dirt cheap on Ebay as well as the GTX 1060's, and I don't recommend anyone buy new PC hardware right now as prices are likely to drop rapidly in a few months. Used hardware sure but not new.
    Thank's for your insight. Appreciate it.

1660ti just looks... eh... you're better off just saving for a 2060, it's near 1080 performance vs barely 1070. Though Jay got an email from AMD talking about 279 56s, but lets see if that sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    1660ti just looks... eh... you're better off just saving for a 2060, it's near 1080 performance vs barely 1070. Though Jay got an email from AMD talking about 279 56s, but lets see if that sticks.
    Doubt it, there were some available a few days ago at $279 with a $30 rebate on top but they sold out quick and that was the only model which had the price drop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regional pricing is all over the place since some weeks/months ago so it's really hard to say if prices will drop or not, especially with promotions happening pretty much all the time.

In Europe there's really no reason at all to buy a GTX 1660TI. It's around 300€ and for that kind of money you can get a Vega 56 with slightly better stock performance, much better overclocking potential and 3 free games (Division 2, RE2, DMC5)

Or at ~50-60€ more you can get a RTX 2060.

1660TI needs to be 50€ cheaper if it wants to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Regional pricing is all over the place since some weeks/months ago so it's really hard to say if prices will drop or not, especially with promotions happening pretty much all the time.

In Europe there's really no reason at all to buy a GTX 1660TI. It's around 300€ and for that kind of money you can get a Vega 56 with slightly better stock performance, much better overclocking potential and 3 free games (Division 2, RE2, DMC5)

Or at ~50-60€ more you can get a RTX 2060.

1660TI needs to be 50€ cheaper if it wants to compete.
    Isn't that promotion over? Yesterday I looked at a RX 590 clicked the 3 free games link that lead to the amd website and got an error saying the promotion is over.

ASUS Expedition Radeon RX 570 8GB OC Edition Gaming just went on sale for $190 but idk how good of a deal that is.
    Last edited by Alkhan; 2019-02-24 at 04:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't that promotion over? Yesterday I looked at a RX 590 clicked the 3 free games link that lead to the amd website and got an error saying the promotion is over.

ASUS Expedition Radeon RX 570 8GB OC Edition Gaming just went on sale for $190 but idk how good of a deal that is.

There might be different promotions available depending on region I think? But the one I mean, aka the "Raise the Game Fully Loaded" promotion ends April 6th.

10+ Year Old Account

Not very, considering you can get 580's for less https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KQQ...x580gaming-8gd