Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    You guys are de-railing the post, think it's time to stop... jeebus, and I'm not even a Moderator.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Indeed, I don't think what comes to peoples mind when someone says Asian is someone that looks like this:

- - - Updated - - -

Stop playing dumb. When people say Asian they're not talking about geographical location.
    I'm not playing dumb, I know full well what was meant. But that doesn't mean the term was used correctly. The only dumb thing here is the continued use of implying that anyone without slanted eyes (very poor choice of words there but since that's what your basing Asian on) isn't a real Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I'm not playing dumb, I know full well what was meant.
    I'm not playing dumb BUT I am playing dumb, okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not playing dumb BUT I am playing dumb, okay.
    Nice cherry picking part of my post there. Pointing out that you used a term wrong and then you justifying it with "but that's how a bunch of other people do" is dumb.

Nice cherry picking part of my post there. Pointing out that you used a term wrong and then you justifying it with "but that's how a bunch of other people do" is dumb.
    When people are not referring to geographical location, they are not using the term wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    When people are not referring to geographical location, they are not using the term wrong.
    You are correct. But when you tell someone that a person from India (Symmetra) isn't Asian then you are wrong.

You are correct. But when you tell someone that a person from India (Symmetra) isn't Asian then you are wrong.
    But she wasn't talking about geography.

If they are not referring to geographical location and specifically talking about the typically thought of Chinese, Korean, Japanese then the term they should use is Oriental. To state Asia does include western parts also.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    They're called indier here. Not asian.
    Isn’t this the same arguement as stating people from China are Chinese and not Asian? Or from Japan are Japanese and not Asian?

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    Are you actually arguing about terms which have a heavy cultural context and saying one is wrong and the other is right? Even though all of them can be right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Please drop the race discussion as it is really not appropriate for this forum and always ends poorly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    He's on the PTR, quite Fun. His Damage isn't strong enough that people will neglect healing duties, like with Moira or Ana. I think he definitely has potential to knock Lucio out of his "AoE King" Healer rank. His Damage is a 3 round Burst, even if held down, like a Semi-Auto M16, low recoil, with his Ult (the buff barrier) his damage becomes decent, but again his healing is even better.
    People use the Moira damage click for DPS (the purple ball, is ok, it does a good amount of damage but the click? ha!)

Also it sounds interesting, i should check the PTR

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    Wtf? Oriental is for cultures east of the Mediterranean, including from northern africa all the way to japan. Why would I use that when I want more women who look like me? Saying asian when I want more women who look like me is the correct term. Oriental encompass arabs, persians/iranians, afghans, indians and so on. They look nothing like me.

No, asian is a catch-all term for people from southeast or east asia. Indian is just indian. If we want to talk about specific ethnicity, we use the ethnonym. We have no specific catch-all for people from the indian subcontinent.
    Think you need to look up the definition. I did before my post just to make sure I was correct.
    o·ri·en·talDictionary result for oriental
    /ˌôrēˈen(t)l/Submit
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    of, from, or characteristic of Asia, especially East Asia
    synonyms: eastern, Chinese, Japanese

It doesn’t say anything about Africa or east of the Mediterranean, just states Asia, especially East Asia.
    I think you’re arguing opposite terms right now.
    In direct conflict of what you are stating:
    A·sianDictionary result for Asian
    /ˈāZHən/Submit
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    adjective: Asian
    relating to Asia or its people, customs, or languages.
    Asian encompasses all of Asia. Oriental derives especially from East Asia.

Back on topic, I am in the “why a new support” camp? Blizz needs todo something to break Goats. Before introducing a new character that will either be ignored or just replace 1 Support in Goats for him, Blizz really should figure out balancing. Even if that means retiring some heroes from Comp and League.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2019-02-27 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Think you need to look up the definition. I did before my post just to make sure I was correct.
    o·ri·en·talDictionary result for oriental
    /ˌôrēˈen(t)l/Submit
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    of, from, or characteristic of Asia, especially East Asia
    synonyms: eastern, Chinese, Japanese

It doesn’t say anything about Africa or east of the Mediterranean, just states Asia, especially East Asia.
    I think you’re arguing opposite terms right now.
    In direct conflict of what you are stating:
    A·sianDictionary result for Asian
    /ˈāZHən/Submit
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    adjective: Asian
    relating to Asia or its people, customs, or languages.
    Asian encompasses all of Asia. Oriental derives especially from East Asia.

Back on topic, I am in the “why a new support” camp? Blizz needs todo something to break Goats. Before introducing a new character that will either be ignored or just replace 1 Support in Goats for him, Blizz really should figure out balancing. Even if that means retiring some heroes from Comp and League.
    Distinct within American culture, some American English speakers consider the term "Oriental" to be a pejorative and disparaging term when used to describe a person.

In Australian English, the term "Asian" generally refers to people of East Asian or Southeast Asian descent, such as those of Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, or Filipino descent. Persons of Pakistani, Sri Lankan, and most other South Asian descent are referred to by their respective demonym, but without explicit knowledge, those people are indeterminately inferred as "Indian".

Damn, it's almost like as if it depends on what country you're from, what the term means.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    Please drop the race discussion as it is really not appropriate for this forum and always ends poorly.
    Sorry, didn't see the post before I replied.

Is pip finally in overwatch?

He does resemble Will Smith in a way.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Glad we have another black hero.
    Yea thats the most important part of it.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if he is a member of LGBT community. For the sake of diversity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very cool. I'm very happy to see a support character with a nice assortment of interesting abilities.

Looking forward to seeing his skins.

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    Thank you.

Distinct within American culture, some American English speakers consider the term "Oriental" to be a pejorative and disparaging term when used to describe a person.

In Australian English, the term "Asian" generally refers to people of East Asian or Southeast Asian descent, such as those of Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, or Filipino descent. Persons of Pakistani, Sri Lankan, and most other South Asian descent are referred to by their respective demonym, but without explicit knowledge, those people are indeterminately inferred as "Indian".

Damn, it's almost like as if it depends on what country you're from, what the term means.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, didn't see the post before I replied.
    You can’t play that card after berating someone else for doing the same thing. Telling someone they are wrong and then being proven wrong by the same logic only to deflect in this manner is downright hypocritical.