Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deviant010 View Post
    I have read that they replaced the night effect with a brighter one because they didn't want people who always play at night time to always see the game in dark. I understand the reasoning but I still think it's a weak excuse for bright nights.
    If only they could put an option in settings to toggle weather and day/night effects.

Nah, let's just strip everything out.
    Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    If only they could put an option in settings to toggle weather and day/night effects.

Nah, let's just strip everything out.
    This is something i have never understood. Why they cant just leave these things as a choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats great! I have never understood why they replaced the weather effects, the old were better in every way.

I have read that they replaced the night effect with a brighter one because they didn't want people who always play at night time to always see the game in dark. I understand the reasoning but I still think it's a weak excuse for bright nights.
    As someone who would be affected by always having to play during nights, I would still totally prefer the old darker nights.

Most of the time these days you don't even know it's night time on server.

I think there should be a toggle for these sorts of things, rather than a one size fits all approach.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    And what settings were they running? And what are you comparing it to?
    Dont know about the guys from the vid (way too bright), but here are from 2005 (first ones) and 2006 (last one) pics from Tanaris using default settings from retail:

Yeah the weather effects were AMAZING. I remember when I leveled my gnome mage in Dun Morogh and the snowstorm made everything feel so much better (altho I believe that was in TBC).

Unfortunately many players have complained that these effects have caused performance issues and that they were annoying, so Blizz removed them(?!?!?).

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    As someone who would be affected by always having to play during nights, I would still totally prefer the old darker nights.

Most of the time these days you don't even know it's night time on server.

I think there should be a toggle for these sorts of things, rather than a one size fits all approach.
    Truth is, there are alternatives as well. Without thinking it through, two options would be a faster day/night cycle rather than tied to location, or, something to do with chromy that adjusts time of day. A broach that goes in the shirt slot that changes the time of day by 12 hours at all times while equipped.

Literally in the OP. Not my op, and obviously suffers from the same logical hole that any SS is going to, however, that is exactly my point.
    No it's not. The "new nights" photo isn't current.

Love old weather effects, keep them!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Dont know about the guys from the vid (way too bright), but here are from 2005 (first ones) and 2006 (last one) pics from Tanaris using default settings from retail:

Those dont look anything at all like the video? am i missing something?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    Funny you should say that.
    As removing choice has been their motto for a long time now.
    I guess i should have been more clear - that was what i was talking about - i understand the game needs to move forward in some respects to stay 'fresh' but visual changes really should remain an option.

I was watching some old vanilla video's on youtube this morning and I noticed how much better and immersive the old weather effects were. I was wondering if we get them back in classic as I'm not sure if weather effects are part of the engine or the classic graphics.

Does anyone know? I would love to have the old weather effects back in classic.

Snow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWWnSs_6voI
    Rain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BmXZfY-dW0
    Sandstorm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHv84mm1zkw

I also would love to see the dark vanilla nights back:

haha i'm sure you can set your monitor and your game graphics settings to make nights look like that. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    Funny you should say that.
    As removing choice has been their motto for a long time now.
    Unlike the old Burger King slogan, we can't have it our way..
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

No, hes not. And neither are you with your weird little "do you even play, bro?". Blizzard added an item to make the nights appear dark again, but the change was a conscious one and blizzard have never hidden from it or tried to hide it.
    Look, next time just admit you're working on outdated information instead of making a fool out of yourself. It ultimately hurts you far more.

It's clear you're not currently playing and haven't in years as you would otherwise know nights are as, if not more, dark than in vanilla.

Literally in the OP. Not my op, and obviously suffers from the same logical hole that any SS is going to, however, that is exactly my point.
    That screenshot is from Cataclysm. Nights have been made considerably darker again since then, which you have been provided evidence of.

Your main problem is your inability to admit you're wrong in the face of evidence.

There was a dungeon in Rift, back in Vanilla Rift, and it you worked your way up a mountain, eventually walking through snow, and finally into an absolute Blizzard (no pun intended). It was easily the most immersive dungeon moment in any mmo i have had. Actually, SWTOR had some good ones, but no weather related.

Weather is tough on machines though, and i think thats their reason for toning shit down over the years. (no excuse i know, but their reason.)
    Yep, shame no dungeon like this ever happened in Rift again. As I remember it, they also toned the weather effects down in that dungeon.

Those dont look anything at all like the video? am i missing something?
    Well, maybe its the vid quality but screens seem bit darker.

It could be that the first video I linked was taken just as night rolled in. Here's another video that matches the screenshots:

Here's another video that matches the screenshots.

Both points i have already raised - trash in trash out - we cannot draw a conclusion from some 360p video that CLEARLY has non-default settings. And the same goes for all the screenshots. The fact this is difficult at all for people to understand is mind blowing really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Factsbeforefeelings View Post
    It could be that the first video I linked was taken just as night rolled in. Here's another video that matches the screenshots:
    240P hahahahha, you have outdone yourself! and in no way does that match any screenshots at all. There isnt even a skybox. What settings was this person running? oh, right, you wouldnt have ANY IDEA AT ALL.

You sure as fuck can draw conclusions, it's called, being able to differentiate between how the game looks on default and how it looks heavily modified. You have to have an IQ over 90 to be able to do this.

Go onto a PS at 1:00 a.m and bring up your BfA client. Compare the two and stop being a dimwit.

Both points i have already raised - trash in trash out - we cannot draw a conclusion from some 360p video that CLEARLY has non-default settings. And the same goes for all the screenshots. The fact this is difficult at all for people to understand is mind blowing really.

240P hahahahha, you have outdone yourself! and in no way does that match any screenshots at all. There isnt even a skybox. What settings was this person running? oh, right, you wouldnt have ANY IDEA AT ALL.
    Yes, they really should have uploaded videos in resolutions YT didn't even allow at the time. How dare they not do the impossible!

There was a dungeon in Rift, back in Vanilla Rift, and it you worked your way up a mountain, eventually walking through snow, and finally into an absolute Blizzard (no pun intended). It was easily the most immersive dungeon moment in any mmo i have had.
    Did you try the Arathi Brawl in the blizzard? The massively reduced visibility makes it much more fun and, somehow, even the Alliance teams always end up working together and calling incomings etc.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!