Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post

I take your point. I thought "possible" in the title was sufficient.

I disagree that it has nothing to do with genetics. There's some factor in the marrow of those who are resistant that might one day be given to others. It might be more appropriate to say it has nothing to do with genetic engineering right now.

I'll pm a mod to alter the thread title.
    It should be sufficient, but you know people. You are correct with the 'right now' part, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if the purported cure is limited in who is able to benefit from it, this really shines a light on what's been theorized in medical fields for years now, that the cure to HIV lies in gene modification therapy. Having a possible positive outcome is the kind of thing that will get many more researchers involved in a field that has for many years been nonprofitable without extensive government funding.

You all realize how incredibly invasive a bone marrow / stem cell transplant is, right? And all the horrible, lethal complications that can happen?

I love the concept of using HIV's adaptiveness against it (for those who don't know, what makes HIV so dangerous is it's ability to realize it losing the battle against our immune system in the first few months, so it backs off and slowly releases the virus a bit at a time until the virus adapts to the immune system; hence why it can take years or decades for people to get AIDs without treatment/not even know they have it for that time)
    Switching bone marrow or introducing different immune cells to destroy the virus insinuates that the best way to beat such an adaptive virus is to trick it into adapting the wrong attack strategy.
    Very glad to hear that HIV will be curable within our lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Every time I see an article like this I feel like I've seen them a dozen times before and yet here we are, HIV still isn't cured. So I have to be very sceptical about this.
    Every scientist: Don't call this a cure, we are a long way away from that, this is nothing more than a promising line of potential study.

Every press outlet: CURE FOR HIV FOUND!!!!!!

Pretty representative of science reporting in general tbh.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentauk the Mindtaker View Post
    You can bet the treatment will cost 5000 percent more in the US compared to next to nothing in the UK and the rest of Europe!
    Good thing medical tourism exists!

EDIT: This is not a solution for all people, mind you. Treatment in the US is fucking stupid.
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2019-03-05 at 03:20 PM.

Besides helping the victims of HIV, the search for a HIV cure has really expanded the frontiers of science.

Good news all around.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    Every scientist: Don't call this a cure, we are a long way away from that, this is nothing more than a promising line of potential study.

Every press outlet: CURE FOR HIV FOUND!!!!!!

Pretty representative of science reporting in general tbh.
    Yeah, media is as usual not helping with their sensationalist bullshit.