Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    I'm excited for all the "WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU GUYS THINKING" posts once it drops.

And the subequent drop in MAU's 30/60/90 days into it being live

And the eventual announcement of "We're merging Classic Servers"

And the eventual "We have decided to shut down Classic, it just isn't profitable enough"
    I am not looking forward to it failing. I dont think Blizzard would allow it to fail. Hear me out - They can release Vanilla as it was (as close as they can / want to) and then just walk away and say "there ya go, its what you wanted.....enjoy" and NEVER touch that product again, and it could be considered a success. They dont have to, and i hope they dont, add anything new, try to continue into BC/Wrath, nothing - just walk away and leave it - and it couldnt really be called a failure.

I hope players get what they want out of Classic, and for those who are genuinely excited for the product, i hope they enjoy it.

HOWEVER, i do expect there to be a MASSIVE backlash and plummeting numbers after launch. I honestly agree with the 'you think you do, but you dont' comment. I will play classic, off and on as time allows as a side project - purely for nostalgia and no other reason. I have no desire to raid, and personally think Vanilla raiding is the worst in wows history, and have preferred EVERY iteration of it since launch - same with pvp.

There are aspects of the game i miss, especially from BC, but there are aspects from EVERY expac that i miss. But the core gameplay aspects i get the most enjoyment out of, namely raiding, has improved every expac, even if everything around it has gone backwards / worse.

From Blizzard's POV as a business perspective there are 2 mouths to feed here.
    1. (not-so-profitable option) Let's give the die hard "we want that immersion back" to the smaller percentage that think they want that to please them.

2. (this is our profit center) Let's give the people that never played Vanilla or weren't into the game then this opportunity and thus this is basically a new X-Pac for them relatively speaking so we don't want to turn these people off but still have to remember that they are use to an entirely different experience.

The only way I see to please BOTH is using a sort of mechanic/option where for instance now you can talk to a person in Silithus and they give you the option "change back to the way things were" type thing only maybe you make that choice ONCE and from there, that's what you get. Either genuine Vanilla or altered Vanilla-Lite. Basically like pushing the big red button in Ulduar like ok now you've asked for it, here's the gloves off, no BS, actual Vanilla with errors, imbalance and all, the whole enchilada.

I don't think Blizzard wants to add sharding to make the game more "comfortable" to play. I think they're going to add sharding to starting zones just to avoid server issues. They have to make sure that the servers are stable and it's something they can't tolerate or afford.

They are very well aware of the fact that vanilla is all about your realm's community and they'll make sure that it stays this way, but if you had the choice between sharding and the server literally crashing, then they just have to go with it. I'm sure they're gonna completely deactivate sharding after 2 or so weeks after launch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BaronRivendare View Post
    From Blizzard's POV as a business perspective there are 2 mouths to feed here.
    1. (not-so-profitable option) Let's give the die hard "we want that immersion back" to the smaller percentage that think they want that to please them.

2. (this is our profit center) Let's give the people that never played Vanilla or weren't into the game then this opportunity and thus this is basically a new X-Pac for them relatively speaking so we don't want to turn these people off but still have to remember that they are use to an entirely different experience.

The only way I see to please BOTH is using a sort of mechanic/option where for instance now you can talk to a person in Silithus and they give you the option "change back to the way things were" type thing only maybe you make that choice ONCE and from there, that's what you get. Either genuine Vanilla or altered Vanilla-Lite. Basically like pushing the big red button in Ulduar like ok now you've asked for it, here's the gloves off, no BS, actual Vanilla with errors, imbalance and all, the whole enchilada.
    They're going with option 1. That's been confirmed many times over and over. Classic is specifically a product aimed at that.

Option 2 might either happen later (which is unlikely imho) OR they'll somehow bring back the old content to current WoW and let this be a thing (timewalking or whatever)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hottage View Post
    Mildly interested, but not hyped.

I already know I'll never get to experience the content the way I originally and I can't real get excited about the prospect of leveling for 6 months to then run 5 mans over and over (if I can even be online long enough to form a group).
    I don't look forward to the endgame at all anyways. The best thing about vanilla is the leveling, the adventure. The game literally starts at level 1, while for all expansions the game has really kinda started at max level. The only exciting thing about being level 60 is seeing the big dungeons and raids (and generally being in a 40-man raid for once), but after the initial excitement most of the endgame kinda falls apart. I don't think that most players who want Classic are really looking forward for the endgame either.

i have played vanilla only 3 months (had few chars but max 50lvl druid). Now after these all years i must admit i am hyped af. I am looking for a game which i will play in the evenings after work when i dont need to use my brain. First time i just want some boring, long leveling

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Tim View Post
    The ability to mass report players and effectly shut them out of chat for a period of time seems like a nasty toy for people to have.
    This is a somewhat valid concern, however it's also way too overblown. This isn't gonna have a worse effect in Classic than it does in BfA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    I am not nearly as enthused as I was at first announcement.

They are modifying the new client and recreating the experience. This is not what I want.
    It is too early to tell but I am doubting it will be true to vanilla. The last announcement gave me a pretty firm impression that this will be Frankenvanilla.

I wonder if things like the portal blocked by a gate in Winterspring or the portal in the waters of Azshara will still be there. I know it may seem minor but if stuff like that is missing, it might just be a deal breaker for me. I was hardcore for vanilla and would like to abandon BfA till next expansion. I have no reason to log on any more and would cancel sub if it wasn't for Zandalar race finally becoming available on the 12th.

I am really hoping they maintain the old graphics and look but I don't think it will be true to vanilla. A damn shame blizz can't seem to do what small teams of novices do on private servers. But, it is too early to bash Blizz yet.
    What portals are you talking about though? I don't recall seeing any portals in any of these zones. I mean there was an underwater portal in Azshara... during alpha, but not in the live version.

And I mean they've literally copied over the 1.12 world over 1:1.

Blizzard can't just reuse the original 1.12 client, because it won't work with their backend (unless they do a lot of work ofc), their services (battle.net, customer service) and because it has soooo many bugs, exploits and quite a few issues with modern hardware (such as crashes, freezes, graphics etc.). Chinese and russian gold-sellers/scammers have in the meantime also discovered new exploits.

So it's easier for them to just take the current client as a 'base' and then copy over the old assets. Yes it's gonna be a Frankenstein, but personally I don't believe it's gonna be this bad. I am 100% sure however that it will be way closer to vanilla than what all these private server have achieved, who are using a backported TBC private server software (btw. if you've played Nostalrius with a german 1.12 client then many of the quests would have their quest-text from Cataclysm :P I don't know if they've managed to fix that though before they got closed down)
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2019-03-07 at 10:49 PM.

They're going with option 1. That's been confirmed many times over and over. Classic is specifically a product aimed at that.

No offense, but they say a lot of things and their actions generally have been aligned with a sales/volume positioning each time. From their standpoint they are extending valuable and costly resources as a company to generate this so it would be completely naive to think that this is just a big nice just for the heck of it "present" to people for the sake of them being altruistic. At this point they've created a bit of a monster with it starting with when they first attacked the private servers which don't get me wrong, since it's their IP they do have the right to do. Anyways, yea they want their ROI for the time and money spent and they're going to finesse however they need to, to achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronRivendare View Post

No offense, but they say a lot of things and their actions generally have been aligned with a sales/volume positioning each time. From their standpoint they are extending valuable and costly resources as a company to generate this so it would be completely naive to think that this is just a big nice just for the heck of it "present" to people for the sake of them being altruistic. At this point they've created a bit of a monster with it starting with when they first attacked the private servers which don't get me wrong, since it's their IP they do have the right to do. Anyways, yea they want their ROI for the time and money spent and they're going to finesse however they need to, to achieve that.
    Well I do agree with that. I guess time will tell...

People don't realize just how excited they are going to get on launch night.

This is Classic WoW... a completely fresh start. Fresh servers, fresh economy, the world unfolded for the first time... AGAIN!

Millions were never there... and so this is the FIRST time they will be able to experience such a thing. For others it's a fill in for their "collection" of expansion experiences.

But most importantly, this is the first release in nearly a decade that doesn't have all that "crap" that made WoW less of a world and more of a lobby game.

No dungeonfinder or LFR! No Crossrealm crap. Server identity/reputation means something. No pokemon or cash shop mounts. Everyone running around in clown gear except those who put the time in and had a bit of luck.

MAYBE one or two legendaries on the whole server... not this everyone had a dozen crap.

Epics? Yeah right... you wnat epics you better be prepared to play your hind end off... and when you see them? Pure respect!

It is going to be GLORIOUS!

Yep.. I'm hyped.
    Last edited by Maudib; 2019-03-07 at 11:01 PM.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Never was very hyped as I played through Vanilla since Closed Beta and seen most content already.

- RP server
    - Guild opened AQ gates, did the big questlines together.
    - Raided most bosses, world bosses, and events, exception are a few late Naxx bosses.
    - PvPed with many high ranked people, got rank 13 myself.
    - Had multiple alts in raid gear, so seen the dps/tank/healing roles.

Been having dreams about my old adventures in Vanilla over the past few nights. So I guess im subconsciously starting to get pretty hyped!

15+ Year Old Account
    Stop the useless whining about temporal sharding already. It's incredibly boring now.

Hyped, need a release already please

Extremely hyped. I've spent a lot of time playing Vanilla in recent years, and it's my favorite game ever. It's by far the best version of WoW for me. I'm excited to finally be able to play it officially.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Stop the useless whining about temporal sharding already. It's incredibly boring now.
    stop whining about whining, if the modern iteration was so successful wow's subs would be public, but it's likely that the "3million sales" they've been touting since cata began the decline is probably just stores stocking their shelves at this point.

the sharding mechanic has been a detriment to WPvP and the cross server has led to the language issues in the US and EU.
    every change going forward from cata has made wow a more single player game bit by bit while exponentially increasing the required grind and creating catch-up treadmills to entertain casuals while not really creating content for anyone.
    why does it take so long for the "timeless isle of quel'danis" to show up as a strictly "end-game" zone to concentrate the player-base for WPVP?

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    And so it begins. You dont really think the demo was something they threw together in a rush do you? I love these pre-excuse posts / threads, where people start to defend faults / flaws in a product. Anthem had a lot of defenders as well, who swore black and blue it was going to be an amazing product. At this point, i suspect it has more defenders than players.
    They pretty much stated as much, so yeah. It's the reason it still had access to all of the calls from live. It was basically an early alpha build of a couple of zones.

It will be fine, it won't be perfect, no MMO ever is. There will be bugs and issues they didn't cover. I was playing MMO's years before WoW came along, so no what I saw from the demo didn't bother me one bit. I'll play it and if I don't like it I'll find something else to play. It certainly won't be any worse than some of the private servers I've seen over the years for various games.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Frankly, I don't see this as a problem. it's on retail and I almost never see it happen even to streamers. Blizzard actually have people who check appeals to see if the ban is unfair.

I wouldn't worry about it.
    It's a concern of mine it isn't make or break by any means just a little box I would like to see ticked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Tim View Post
    It's a concern of mine it isn't make or break by any means just a little box I would like to see ticked.
    Its something that will be there for the same reason they are doing the loot sharing. They no longer have the support staff to handle manual reports for stuff like that.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't go as far as hyped (I don't expect it to be the same experience at all), but I'm looking forward to it.

I was a complete noob when I started playing WoW originally. I keyboard turned (using the arrows keys instead of WASD, at that), clicked, and sometimes even fumbled through my spellbook looking for stuff. Aside from just the fact that I'll remember where to go and what to do for a lot of quests, I have 13+ years of experience playing the game and have dropped all of the bad habits I had in the beginning, so I'm sure the game is going to be much easier than I remembered. Most of the "difficulty" for me was because I had no idea what was going on when I played WoW in 2005.

That all said, I'm still excited about it. I'm not going to remember everything, and there's a lot of pre-Cataclysm content (questing in Hillsbrad Foothills as an Alliance player, giving General Marcus Jonathan a /salute, old AV, etc) that I'll happy to see again.

edit: also I've mained a fury warrior since BC came out, but I never got to try Classic WoW fury. I hate tanking, but I did it in Classic because "you better get that shield out and tank, it's what you're supposed to do if you play a warrior" is what everyone kept screaming at me back then, and I was too new to the game to know any better. I'll probably suck it up and tank some dungeons as I level, but I intend to collect fury gear and give that a run once I start getting to higher levels.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-03-08 at 02:00 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    -snip-
    I am concenred for a few reasons, and most of these are reasons why (even though i want classic) did not think it would happen
    1. people want different things, some people want QoL, some people want progressive, some want stable, some want vanilla, some want tbc, some want wotlk, etc.
    with P-servers people have choice, with classic people will have ONE CHOICE

2. people will just say "fuck blizzard im not gnna play it cause i dont trust them" pretty much proven on mass by the people saying "I WONT PLAY IT because they may add microtransaction to it!"

3. people will just keep playing Pservers cause... free...

4. once it gets to nax at that point... people will start to leave, once they max it out they have no progression at that point.

5. alot of people may not play it for long (like they will get to maybe nax then stop) because they see that there will be no expansions, no progress after, so like "why keep going"

i myself am excited though, idk how much i will be able to focus on it, but i am excited non the less.

Also they wont have phasing, idk if you know what phasing is, but phasing DID NOT EXIST IN VANILLA
    phasing is when you do a quest that changes the zone, and so you phase.
    that did not exist till wotlk, so no phasing could never exist in vanilla, as there is no quests... to phase...

sharding though will be fine, it will be in at launch in start windows, because it will NEED to be.

and nah it wont be better then modern wow, it will be DIFFERENT then modern wow.

is undertale better then pokemon?
    they are both turn based RPG's...

no you cant really compare them, because that is pretty much the ONLY thing they share, the two games have ENTIRELY different concepts, playstyles, and etc.

Modern wow and classic wow are two VERY different games, that share the same name.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content