Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 94 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    The one plot hole that actually bothers me is that Thor didn't just go to Titan and fight Thanos before he got the last two stones. He almost fucked him up when he had all six (he probably would have if he went for the head) so I imagine he would completely shit on him if he went to Titan instead of Earth.
    Wasn't Thor in the middle of getting his axe while Thanos was fighting Stark, Quill, and co. on that other planet? Unless I'm forgetting something, he might not have even known about Thanos's planet and came to earth because he knew that was one place a stone (and thus, Thanos) was guaranteed to be.

Someone with all the infinity stones? I'm sure the longer Thanos has them, the more he'll learn to use them and the more powerful he'll get as well.
    But be probably cant use them all again since the snap broke the glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    But be probably cant use them all again since the snap broke the glove.
    He probably couldn’t snap again but it seems like he can still use them. Post snap, he teleported away while removing the axe and healing his chest wound.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Wasn't Thor in the middle of getting his axe while Thanos was fighting Stark, Quill, and co. on that other planet? Unless I'm forgetting something, he might not have even known about Thanos's planet and came to earth because he knew that was one place a stone (and thus, Thanos) was guaranteed to be.
    No, Thanos shows up on Titan right after the bring me Thanos scene with Thor. That being said Thor had no reason to know Thanos would be on his home planet, but he did know there were stones on earth with the Avengers so it makes sense he would go there.

Enjoyed it a lot.

For me it was certainly not the best MCU film but certainly not the worst either. As far as origin MCU films go, I'd definitely put it above Strange, but I'd definitely NOT put it above Iron Man.

I completely fail to comprehend how people thought Brie was bad in this movie. She definitely wouldn't have been my "fan cast" for the role, but like many other roles the MCU has cast over the years, I see her as Capt Marvel now.

I saw someone else mention this earlier and it was true for me as well - the film was just seemed unnecessarily dark visually. I wonder if it was a technical issue at the theater.

Spoilery thoughts:

- Was not a huge fan of how easily she dealt with Ronan, the bombs, and his small fleet of ships. That felt a lot like "this needs to happen faster to keep run time down"

- Goose was awesome and I don't understand why some people are frothing with rage over Goose being the cause of Fury losing an eye

- Someone made this comment earlier and I agree - the beginning of the film was a bit too jumbled. I get what they were trying to do, but the execution was not stellar.

- I hope Endgame at least pays some lip service to the inevitable question "why didn't Fury use the pager before this" OR "why is this the first time Captain Marvel responded"

- So if Fury kept Goose, where is he now? What's the lifespan of a Flerken?

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post

I completely fail to comprehend how people thought Brie was bad in this movie. She definitely wouldn't have been my "fan cast" for the role, but like many other roles the MCU has cast over the years, I see her as Capt Marvel now.
    Oh how I remember doubting their decision to cast first Edward Norton (justified) and then Mark Ruffalo (amazing casting choice).
    Hell, I think the only casting I was 100% along with from the start was Beneroid Cucumberpatch.,

There is a large time jump between Infinity War and Endgames. Indications are that it is several years before Carol shows up. So why does anyone think that she could have had any effect on the Chitauri Invasion or Ultron ? Those dangerous part of those events took place over a few hours. There is no way she could have gotten there in time.

The one plot hole that actually bothers me is that Thor didn't just go to Titan and fight Thanos before he got the last two stones. He almost fucked him up when he had all six (he probably would have if he went for the head) so I imagine he would completely shit on him if he went to Titan instead of Earth.
    Did Thor even know Thanos was going to be on Titan? He did know Thanos was heading to earth and went there to help his friends. As for his battle against Thanos it didnt seem like Thanos was expecting any sort of challange from Thor based on their previous fight and simply underestimated his opponent. I dont think Thor stood a shot if Thanos actually tried

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    So after seeing it was surprised that it’s better then the low end marvel movies (Thor 1-2 ant man and wasp ect) but not close to the high end movies. Though I did think it was miles ahead of Wonder Woman.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Yeah, you also said something about "Come back to reality" but it looks like you are the one lucid dreaming. Faux outrage is a feminist thing with all that bitching about man-spreading and all other bullshit like asking women for number or even smiling at them...

Also faux outrage is comming from all those people defending CM

- - - Updated - - -

Well that's racist /s
    You really shouldn’t be saying other people are outraged when your the one bringing a ton of unrelated garabsge into a thread about a movie.

I went in with pretty low expectations but I actually ended up enjoying it a lot. Not the best Marvel movie (my favorite is Civil War) but definitely still a worthy entry into the MCU. I'm only going to dip my toe into this can of worms but: there were some slight feminist themes but it was not heavy handed in any way, in fact it felt more like a knowing nod to the audience without ever being too outright, it was pretty tasteful in my opinion. The guy who sort-of cat calls her outside the internet cafe, she simply ignores (though does take his motorcyle) and the "I'm Just a Girl" fight scene was more about being a human than being a woman, and reclaiming her humanity, at least that's the way it came across to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    I was unsure when she was announced, but I thought she hit it out of the park.

As someone else I read put it, Captain America keeps getting up when he gets knocked down, because it's the right thing to do.
    Captain Marvel keeps getting up when she's knocked down, because fuck you, asshole. And I thought Brie pulled that off, as well as Danvers' sense of humor (even if it was reined in a bit, for story reasons I won't spoil).

Spoilery thoughts:

- Was not a huge fan of how easily she dealt with Ronan, the bombs, and his small fleet of ships. That felt a lot like "this needs to happen faster to keep run time down"
    That was Danvers' big "just fuck right off" moment. This also isn't Ronan-With-The-Infinity-Stone-Of-Power, as we last saw him; Ronan's just a normal (albeit skilled) Kree commander. She blasted through a cruiser like it was paper, and then hovered in front of his ship in a giant "fuck off, or you're next", and Ronan chose to fuck off. The ease Danvers dealt with him is sort of the [i]point[/i]. Also, let's not forget her power source is an Infinity Stone; she's got a lot of "oomph".

- Goose was awesome and I don't understand why some people are frothing with rage over Goose being the cause of Fury losing an eye
    Because they wanted that to matter, but I think it's more hilarious that it doesn't and Fury doesn't talk about it because it's embarrassing.

- I hope Endgame at least pays some lip service to the inevitable question "why didn't Fury use the pager before this" OR "why is this the first time Captain Marvel responded"
    They answered that, in the mid-credits scene; they pretty clearly state that it's been a long time, a week at least, more likely a month or more, since the Snap. The battery in that pager died, they needed to get an external power supply grafted in, and that didn't happen recently by the way they talked about it. If you think back, most of those other issues resolved themselves VERY quickly. The Chitauri Invasion was over in hours. Ultron was under control until oh fuck Sokovia and then, again just hours later, we've got it fixed, it's fine. Most of the other films just aren't the kind of pan-global threats that would warrant calling Danvers in; they're internal and political, if that.

If it takes Danvers weeks to a month or more to get home, even if he'd ever used the pager, he'd have turned it back off before she got anywhere close to the Earth. It only turns off in the film when Danvers is RIGHT THERE, so I assume the arrangement was that the beacon would be active until she got there and turned it off on her end.

- So if Fury kept Goose, where is he now? What's the lifespan of a Flerken?
    For all that's holy, I would find it absolutely fucking hilarious if, after all the whining about Captain Marvel, it's Goose who straight-up eats Thanos in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Except that invasion was basically a misdirection and the only reason they were losing before he arrived was due to being outnumbered. Comparing Thor to Cap Marvel, her power is on another level, and she's still learning...
    Errr, no? Thor is very probably mightier than her, the Russo brothers outright said he could have oneshot Thanos then and there, with a full Infinity Gauntlet, if he had gone for the head. Marvel is definitely powerful in her own right, but I strongly doubt she's that OP. Crashing the ship isn't that much different from Hulk soloing that floating Chitauri creature in Avengers and he still got his ass soundly kicked by Thanos later. Mooks, and by extension their equipment, die very easily in Marvel movies, and aren't much of a measuring stick.

I enjoyed it, people acted like it was this big old anti male feminism fuck yeah flick. But it wasn't. It was enjoyable, and all the things that made Danvers a strong woman, are things that make strong people. People just need to chill the fuck out, and not worry about what an actress says.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Ditto.

Their faces are so red right now, which is just icing on the cake. :3
    It's especially funny seeing them still cling to the fantasy of this movie being boycotted.

7+ rating on average seems pretty fair, it would probably be 7.7 or more if not for the hate campaign so it'll more than likely go higher.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/10/m...ice/index.html

"For Disney, Marvel Studios has made close to $18 billion worldwide."

Jesus Christ on a bike... I knew that Marvel movies were lucrative, but 18 billion dollars so far??

- - - Updated - - -

It's more original than say, losing his eye from an explosion triggered by a friend.

That being said, I don't know how he loses the eye in the comics, so I went in with a clean slate on that.

Hello. Conservative here. I enjoyed the movie, thanks.

it's really easy to just put people in boxes isn't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    So after seeing it was surprised that it’s better then the low end marvel movies (Thor 1-2 ant man and wasp ect) but not close to the high end movies. Though I did think it was miles ahead of Wonder Woman.
    I liked Wonder Woman a lot, but Captain Marvel made the excellent choice to not include a romance sub-plot.
    Impeach the MF.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Loved the film, is a solid entry in the MCU and the hype for Avengers: Endgame is officially real

Quote Originally Posted by Scathan View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Hello. Conservative here. I enjoyed the movie, thanks.

it's really easy to just put people in boxes isn't it?
    Good for you that you're literally not part of the crowd we were referring to then, I guess?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Oh do I ever agree!
    Not sure why WW was praised to the skies and back when it literally fell into tired old tropes and her not finding her true strength until her love interest died.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They answered that, in the mid-credits scene; [spoiler]they pretty clearly state that it's been a long time, a week at least, more likely a month or more, since the Snap. The battery in that pager died, they needed to get an external power supply grafted in, and that didn't happen recently by the way they talked about it. If you think back, most of those other issues resolved themselves VERY quickly. The Chitauri Invasion was over in hours. Ultron was under control until oh fuck Sokovia and then, again just hours later, we've got it fixed, it's fine. Most of the other films just aren't the kind of pan-global threats that would warrant calling Danvers in; they're internal and political, if that.

If it takes Danvers weeks to a month or more to get home, even if he'd ever used the pager, he'd have turned it back off before she got anywhere close to the Earth. It only turns off in the film when Danvers is RIGHT THERE, so I assume the arrangement was that the beacon would be active until she got there and turned it off on her end.
    How's Fury supposed to know her response time to decide it's not worth trying to call her in for an extinction level event? Even if she was somewhere during the events of Infinity War that took a month for her to respond, that doesn't mean she was that far away during the previous Avengers movies or Thor 2.

Maybe she should have said "Call me in an emergency, but only if your emergency doesn't need to be solved for 6 to 8 weeks."

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Oh do I ever agree!
    Not sure why WW was praised to the skies and back when it literally fell into tired old tropes and her not finding her true strength until her love interest died.
    wonder woman is probably the only super hero movie i can think of that i didn't enjoy a single scene of. the story was weak the characters were poor the twists were moronic, the only positive i can think of is i liked the design of the doctor making the gas as every thing else was dull to the extreme.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FeedsOnDevTears View Post
    I liked Wonder Woman a lot, but Captain Marvel made the excellent choice to not include a romance sub-plot.
    forced romance is really painful even more so when the movie only takes place over a few weeks at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Errr, no? Thor is very probably mightier than her, the Russo brothers outright said he could have oneshot Thanos then and there, with a full Infinity Gauntlet, if he had gone for the head. Marvel is definitely powerful in her own right, but I strongly doubt she's that OP. Crashing the ship isn't that much different from Hulk soloing that floating Chitauri creature in Avengers and he still got his ass soundly kicked by Thanos later. Mooks, and by extension their equipment, die very easily in Marvel movies, and aren't much of a measuring stick.
    Yeah, Marvel's only upgraded by one Infinity Stone, Thanos with the gauntlet has to be more powerful than her or there's some serious bullshit going on. The Vision likewise should be more powerful than her since he incorporates a stone rather than just having been powered up by it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh do I ever agree!
    Wonder Woman frustrates me because Acts I-IV are great, but Act 5 is narratively batshit and ignores the rest of the movie. For the purpose of what I'm talking about, Act 5 starts at the point where Wonder Woman kills the Nazi General, and realizes nothing's stopped.

Her chat with Ares is fine. It's everything past that point;
    1> They established that Ares is the God of War, and you'd expect the God of War to be the best there is at . . . war. That's how he killed literally every other God; by out-warring them.
    2> Diana out-wars Ares. Because fuck you.
    3> Diana has to see a guy she likes die before she starts really giving a shit. Also, she totally fucking loses it at this point and murders a bunch of people in a blind rage, but we don't talk about it because they're Nazis even though this is wildly out of character for her.
    4> She kills Ares with a giant lightning bolt, having shown zero potential for lightning at any point prior, because deus ex machina is awesome (in this case, literally deus ex machina). I know she's redirecting it, but same point applies. Seriously, Zeus never tried that? Come the fuck on.
    5> In the end, she's better at mindless violence than Ares, so she gets to live and manipulate mankind for her own ends. That's the apparent message. They had a whole opportunity to have Diana take a moral stand against what Ares stood for, but instead, she just hit him harder than he hit her and that's all that matters.

The whole thing feels completely out of character, like the original writer got told to change the ending by the suits and wrote all that as a "fuck you" knowing it was stupid.

To bring this back to Captain Marvel, I don't think that was an issue. The beginning was a bit "loose", but I think that was in part meant to represent Carol's own confusion; she's off-kilter so the audience is kept off-kilter too. Everything tightens up as the film goes on, and I thought it ended strongly, with a pretty tightly-written set of messages that the film was consistent about, even through the twist.