Poll: Do you use ad blockers? (regardless of browser)

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    No I don't, but with Chrome/Safari being the main browsers I use, I very rarely have any ads I would consider intrusive.
    Here is something to believe in!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzako View Post
    Uhm... Chrome extensions update automatically so I doubt it, must people have them setup as so.
    Normally, I'd agree. Except the number of times I have to update, repair, reset, reinstall, chrome extensions (daily, given thats part of what I do as my job), I can definitely say that it doesn't always work that nice and neat. Just looking through the reddit stuff, I see some concern, but I also see a lot more of things being misinterpreted as some other, unrelated issue. Correlation =/= causation. Doesn't it seem a bit strange that issues people are reporting seem to not be present for most others? Every single issue that I'm looking through I can't reproduce on any of my 5 systems at home.

it's definitely not an "Oops we didn't understand the issue" kind of thing, lol.
    Except, many of the things I'm reading literally are. Hell, one of the more notable ones was "How did Youtube app get on chrome", which, is a legitimate issue, but certainly not a problem with ublock, adblock, or whatever.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I do - I never turn my adblock off. If a page requires me to do so, I won't visit that page.

I'm currently using Chrome, but if the adblock starts failing I'm switching the browser. The main reason why I'm using Chrome right now is that my laptop is a Chromebook so it's easier to keep things syncronized with my desktop and laptop if I use the same browser...

I would rather use Firefox or Opera on my desktop.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2019-03-11 at 01:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildpantz View Post
    Lot of people exspect to get things for free in here.
    This is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Normally, I'd agree. Except the number of times I have to update, repair, reset, reinstall, chrome extensions (daily, given thats part of what I do as my job), I can definitely say that it doesn't always work that nice and neat. Just looking through the reddit stuff, I see some concern, but I also see a lot more of things being misinterpreted as some other, unrelated issue. Correlation =/= causation. Doesn't it seem a bit strange that issues people are reporting seem to not be present for most others? Every single issue that I'm looking through I can't reproduce on any of my 5 systems at home.

Except, many of the things I'm reading literally are. Hell, one of the more notable ones was "How did Youtube app get on chrome", which, is a legitimate issue, but certainly not a problem with ublock, adblock, or whatever.
    Oh gotcha, I particularly haven't had problems with extensions updating fortunately.

That aside, yeah. I agree there are some posts where it's pretty much an user mishandling and/or misunderstanding how uBlock works but I wouldn't dismiss the sub nor all reports because of it.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Adblock 24/7 I don't whitelist anything. The amount of times I've thought "I'll whitelist this site it seems legit" and then got a Spyware/malware alert is numerous.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    No I don't, but with Chrome/Safari being the main browsers I use, I very rarely have any ads I would consider intrusive.
    Does Safari do something different? Or rather, macOS? I vaguely remember reading something about part of the ad revenue from the iOS browsers going to Apple some time ago, but as I said, I vaguely remember so don't quote me on that at all, that's why I'm asking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by suprep View Post
    Yes, not even a question. Have been for as long as they've existed. I use Brave for my mobile as you can't use extensions with the default Chrome (Brave is based on Chromium anyhow). Besides, ads would never cause me to buy something because I always associate them with a rip off or scam.
    Is this on Android or iOS? Seems awesome.

I see it's available on iOS but I wonder if they support ad blocking there appropriately.

EDIT: Just downloaded it and it seems pretty legit. I'll keep trying it out and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Razzako; 2019-03-11 at 01:19 AM.

Ad block here but I do white list pages I want to support that are not using pop up ads.

Ad block debate reminds me about the old streaming debate for music. Handful of people screaming and shouting even though we all know that they will lose in the end. Just make ads that we do not hate. pop up or last 45 sec.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I never turn off my adblockers. I'm sorry, but the advertising companies and the people who use them have both proven to be untrustworthy, with obnoxious ads or ads that download malware.

I use Chrome. I tried switching to Firefox, but Firefox doesn't scroll correctly on websites with infinite scroll (like Reddit) and I was having performance issues with the browser itself. Websites took longer to load in FF than they do in Chrome. If Google changes their API to break ad blockers, I might have to go back to FF.
    In my case, I run everything through a Linux server on my network. If I REALLY want to take the time to do it, it's possible to set up squid (a proxy) to block ads. Set all browsers on the network to go through the proxy, and you get no ads. And it wouldn't make one bit of difference what the browser does, or doesn't do. The ads are blocked at the network level. The only reason I haven't done that yet, is mostly just out of laziness. If it ever becomes necessary though, I will do it. Right now I'm happy with ublock origin on firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    There is literally a 0% chance I would click on any ad. Why would the people making ads even want to pay for me to see them?
    I am really curious how ads benefit them, knowing that most people (or is it most?) hate them ?
    i suppose if they had little profits from ads they wouldnt be doing it but still...

Personally i always use adblock on all websites and youtube, ads are simply evil - promote bad behavior and exploit fools (its not like an advertisement will say something bad about their own junk, its always we are the best our junk is just perfect, so only fools make purchases because of ads)
    If i needed and wanted to buy X, id go to google and search/review X myself.
    Dont need companies showing me their bullshit ads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzako View Post
    Oh gotcha, I particularly haven't had problems with extensions updating fortunately.

That aside, yeah. I agree there are some posts where it's pretty much an user mishandling and/or misunderstanding how uBlock works but I wouldn't dismiss the sub nor all reports because of it.
    Oh, no, definitely not. I just want more concrete info to work with, especially working in a field where I need to have answers and solutions, not just "I read about a thing someone experienced and we just switched to something else".

I don't think I'd switch off chrome regardless, and they did say if there was kickback, they'd axe it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

im too lazy to even bother with that

Yes, but I turn it off or pay to remove ads on sites that aren't super shitty with their ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    I use adblocker and NoScript on firefox, no I do not turn them off for any site.
    This. I ain't risking an (for me) expensive rig or private details to anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Hah, no. I expect to not be assaulted with intrusive, if not downright harmful to my pc and personal details, when I browse the internet. This site, just to name one, has some pretty obnoxious shit, and I will be damned and an idiot if I didn't safeguard to my pc/details from harm.

If I want to support someone, I use their patreon if they have one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes. uBlockOrigin, NoScript, Privacy Badger, CookieAutoDelete, etc, in Firefox. I've no tolerance for ads. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by GutsAP View Post
    Messing with people’s livelihoods just so you aren’t mildly inconvienced or annoyed by ads is a scumbag move, period!
    This is like blaming your neighbors for not buying your kid's rotten lemonade. No one's obligated to fund others' "livelihoods".

If they don't want it accessed for "free", they shouldn't make it freely available. Logic is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Regarding Chrome: I've used it for a few years, but switched back to FF a couple of weeks ago for several reasons already. Ther announcement of discontinuing support for ad-blockers seals that particular deal for me very firmly.
    Chrome was better for a long time, but Firefox has caught up. If Google goes through with this, I'll make the switch as well. (I already use Firefox in the office.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
    3. If Google Chrome bans my adblock plugins then it's time to switch to a new browser that'll let me use them although I don't know of any and how plugins work on them.
    Rest assured, there is enough demand for adblocking to keep another browser alive. So even if the ones we know fall in line, something will pop up. (Hopefully not an ad!)

Yeah only someone with no knowledge of computer would surf internet without adblocker/miner blocker

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, ublock + noscript.

Too many sites with autosound, huge adds with autoclick and new windows.
    I know some sites make a living from these adds, so i deactivate them on few where the adds are not really annoying.

I use Ublock Origin on Google. If the Google changes break adblocking I'll just switch browsers to Brave.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

I use Adblock Plus on Chrome and if Chrome disables that, I'll switch back to FF. I don't mind ad banners at the top of a site, or on the side, but those intrusive popups, slides overs, autoplay with sound shit, ads in the middle of articles, etc. can die in a fire. Because of those, I block everything. If a site forces me to disable blockers, I either remove the warning (most sites you can just disable a few tags with the overlays and continue) or leave.