Poll: Door open or closed?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    I leave it open a little bit so the cat and get in and out. If i didn't have a pet then it would be closed.

Closed but unlocked. No pets to worry about.

It fully depends on the weather? At 35°C in summer I usually have it open, while at -10° I rather have it closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Closed.

Also, laugh at me all you want, but I prop a couple of things up against the bedroom door as a sort of "alarm system" just in case anyone were to walk in while I'm sleeping. Nothing heavy, but just stuff that would fall over and make enough noise to (hopefully) wake me up if someone managed to open the door and come in.
    Perfectly reasonable when you're living alone, honestly. I did something similar in my first (read:cheap) apartment. Always set a glass bottle against the front door resting on something small so it would wake me if someone came in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Sometimes, open helps air circulate better so I get well rested.

Open, I'm a heavy sleeper, so I don't really care about noises and whatnot. And open doors allow for a better air circulation which is important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitex View Post
    Closed, in case a fire starts you won't have a room filled with smoke and suffocate. Smoke inhalation is the most common cause of death in house fires.
    Other than the smoke, doors act as a fantastic barrier for the fire too. A closed door saves lives in fires, especially if it is a fast moving one. And if your fire alarm is too quiet to wake you up when your door is closed, you need to replace it.

Firefighters tell people to keep doors closed for a reason. This is two sides of the same door.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Open for circulation, don't pretend you guys get up to fart in the middle of the night.

LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally open. I used to have it closed all the time before moving out on my own to give myself extra privacy, but now that I live alone that's not necessary. Though, I suppose going even further back to when the family cat was alive, I would have it open a little so that she could get in or out at her whim.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelthos View Post
    I sleep with it cracked, but a small weight in front of it to keep it from swinging completely open. My cats need to be able to go in and out. They stand outside the door and scream loudly if I close it.
    Pretty much. There is no such thing as a closed door in our house. The cats will start acting up if they think we are hiding something from them.

Closed,

but thats because I get sleep paralysis on the rare occasion. Waking up to an open door and a figure standing in it, is 1000 times more terrifying that a closer door and a figure.

Closed, unless it's just too hot in summer, I can get much better circulation with windows open around the house.

Closed, I have cats and am allergic to cats, so they stay out of the bedroom.

Open so that the cats can come and go as they please. Also, because I see no reason to close it.

Open seeing how my bedroom is the entire upstairs of the house and doesn't have a door on it.

Open, I live in a 2 room apartment with a double door separating the living room and the bedroom and those doors are a pain to close properly so I just keep them open all the time.

I keep my bedroom door closed when sleeping all the time. I have no pets but I keep it closed so no spiders can come inside my room if there is a spider roaming outside my bedroom or on the walls outside it. Doesn't matter if it is cold or warm outside. I keep it closed. Also windows are closed all the time when sleeping because i don't want insects coming in through the windows even though it has a net on it but for some reason, something always sneaks in somehow. When I am awake though, I keep the door open.

10+ Year Old Account
    Closed, don't need cats waking me up.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    Title question. Has changed through my life a lot. Closed currently.
    Prefer open, but need to have it closed or the cat will wake us..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Other than the smoke, doors act as a fantastic barrier for the fire too. A closed door saves lives in fires, especially if it is a fast moving one. And if your fire alarm is too quiet to wake you up when your door is closed, you need to replace it.

Firefighters tell people to keep doors closed for a reason. This is two sides of the same door.
    That looks like the front door to the house/apartment or a heavy duty door in a public place like a school. Front doors are built much differently than interior doors. They are designed to be sturdier and proof to things like fire. Interior doors are just 100% wood and I don't think they're stopping a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Pretty much. There is no such thing as a closed door in our house. The cats will start acting up if they think we are hiding something from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Open. I like to be able to hear things... and I have a cat. He would bitch all night if the door was closed.
    Can't even poop in privacy. Our cats hate closed doors and will whine, pull at the carpet, or paw at the door if it's closed.