Everquest starting 2 new progression servers this Sat, if anyones interested

(I realize this could potentially be against forum rules, but I figure there would be alot of cross interest here about this, and we're all stuck waiting till summer for WoW's servers. Feel free to lock if this does not fit well here)

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/...on-servers.21/ (this is the their progression server forum, stickies should answer most questions)

As many of you may or may not know, Everquest has been doing progression servers for a long time now (8+ years), and 2 new ones are about to drop.

One is named Selos, with a very high experience rate, and very fast expansion releases, 1 month per (this is more aimed towards hardcore raiders, but non-raiding casuals could have a blast on this server also.) Selos starts with classic+the first 3 expansions open. This ruleset is a bit experimental compared to what they usually do, and alot of us are excited about how it will shake out.

The second server is Mangler, and this is closer to their now baseline experience for new progression servers. It starts with classic only, with 3 month unlocks on each expansion. This server has faster than normal exp for a progression server, but not as fast as Selos. This would be the obvious choice for most people returning to the game after a long time, or just don't want to feel rushed by Selos speed.

Everquest progression is not exactly how you may remember from back in the day. The exp is much faster, classes are generally more powerful (for a few reasons), many many more people raid than not, which is a complete reversal from in the day. Average player knowledge is higher. There have been a myriad of QoL improvements over the years, the vast majority of them overwhelmingly popular. There is still plenty of grind to be had, plenty of stuff to camp.

Its a great time overall. If yer looking to scratch that "classic" mmo server itch, give it a look.

Everquest was before my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    I'm sure 90% of WoW players share this sentiment, maybe more.

Ya, for people who did not play it back in the day, trying to come in and learn it would be quite a bit of effort. I think everquest progression is the best (official) mmo experience available these days though. Its a perfect blend of old school grind/danger/mystery and new school convenience. Much like what classic wow is.

Does it cost money to buy? To play? A subscription fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Ya, for people who did not play it back in the day, trying to come in and learn it would be quite a bit of effort. I think everquest progression is the best (official) mmo experience available these days though. Its a perfect blend of old school grind/danger/mystery and new school convenience. Much like what classic wow is.
    Those 1999 PC MMO graphics tho. >.< WoW came only 5 and a half years later, but I feel like that 5 year difference is the biggest jump in 3D graphics we've ever gotten.

Eh... I only started playing FF 14, I'll be damned jumping into another MMO.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely going to check this out, because I'm old. Thanks for posting this.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by luciano View Post
    Does it cost money to buy? To play? A subscription fee?
    Technically EQ became f2p awhile back but it's more of a "f2p" situation and the progression servers are one of the things pay walled off in the subscriptions. So to answer the question, yea you need to be subbed. You don't have to buy the game though.

- - - Updated - - -

Those 1999 PC MMO graphics tho. >.< WoW came only 5 and a half years later, but I feel like that 5 year difference is the biggest jump in 3D graphics we've ever gotten.
    PC graphics where ass in 1999. Games didn't even start using shaders until just a bit before WoW came out. Something like the dreamcast and the sega model 3 arcade boards where destroying PC graphically(and those came out in 98 and 96 respectively), it was a weird time. When dreamcast owners where playing shenmue, games on PC like UT and EQ still looked like PS1 games running a higher res.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-03-13 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Technically EQ became f2p awhile back but it's more of a "f2p" situation and the progression servers are one of the things pay walled off in the subscriptions. So to answer the question, yea you need to be subbed. You don't have to buy the game though.

- - - Updated - - -

PC graphics where ass in 1999. Games didn't even start using shaders until just a bit before WoW came out. Something like the dreamcast and the sega model 3 arcade boards where destroying PC graphically(and those came out in 98 and 96 respectively), it was a weird time. When dreamcast owners where playing shenmue, games on PC like UT and EQ still looked like PS1 games running a higher res.
    I have fond memories of my old Dreamcast. Ecco the Dolphin back then just looked stunning.

I still don't understand this progression server concept really or who it's supposed to appeal to... but I can honestly say...

That a number of people I've talked to/come across they seem to be really big fans so I think it could be a really great thing going forward f more or less.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kladdkaka View Post
    I'm sure 90% of WoW players share this sentiment, maybe more.
    I 100% think if you are an Everquest fan you should keep going to Everquest or if you just come across it and like it for whatever reason...

But I would fully expect people in the modern times, going backwards to earlier games, to definitely gravitate towards the old Star Wars Galaxies games
    which were exactly in the vein of Everquest but made slightly more popular... maybe even more WoW like... while still retaining a lot of Everquest spirit
    basically.

So I guess what I'm saying is maybe check out Pantheon which is a spiritual successor to SWG and not necessarily Everquest and which is new....
    it's not clear when it will release but it's probably an easier sell I guess in my mind.

I tried EQ2 once and I was bedridden and vomiting for 2 days straight.

Game is cursed, beware