Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    While it certainly wouldn't be a new class of its own, I'd love to have something like (optional) "effect overlays", so that for example NE priests would have moon-like animations on their healing spells, while Forsaken priests would have shadow/death themed animations. Or an "unholy" theme for paladins, it would be quite cool.

On a separate note, please properly categorize warlock spells as belonging to either Fel or Fire schools, so that people stop using stupid arguments like OMG WARLUKZ HAEV SHADOW MAGIKZ DEY UVERLAP WID DEM SPRIESTZ WTF.
    Stuff like this has been asked for since the dawn of man and would elevate this game to the next level. I honestly think Blizzard hasn't done it because the engine simply can't handle it anymore. Also explains why new spell animations take years to come out.

A long time ago people asked for green flame, but also, they started giving Shamans bubble animations on the heals. Imagine if you could heal people with electricity animations.

10+ Year Old Account
    We already have them--see @ 1:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic Merry View Post
    I mean with power of Shadow, not Necromancy.
    "Shadow" magic is a catch-all term in WoW. It encompasses 'void', 'necromancy' and 'fel', though I suppose in the lore says 'shadow' is 'void'. However, the whole "anti-paladin" concept is taken by the Death Kinght, as the class fills the 'polar opposite of the paladins' niche already.

I suppose you could make an argument for a void-based class, but making it a melee plate-wearer antithesis of the paladin class is practically a lost cause since, again, DKs fill that niche already.

Especially when we consider the Wrath of the Lich King announcement video in 2007, where we see a paladin becoming a Death Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    What about we don't do that and stop with the ridiculous "class" ideas?
    Hey now, we're not done yet. We still have to discuss the Dark Mage, Dark Monk, Dark Druid and the Dark Warrior among others!

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Hey now, we're not done yet. We still have to discuss the Dark Mage, Dark Monk, Dark Druid and the Dark Warrior among others!
    I think we need to also discuss a Dark Lightforged Void Holy Priest class. Is that too an option? :-)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The image is the official cosmology from the Chronicle. It very much changes that, specificially, it shows that the belief Necromancy is a subset of Shadow magic is incorrect.
    knowing all forms of magic came from the clash of void and light, death magic, aka necromantic magic is derivate of Void magic...

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    knowing all forms of magic came from the clash of void and light, death magic, aka necromantic magic is derivate of Void magic...
    This. They are tiered, not six equal schools. There is pretty clearly a link between shadow magic and necromancy.

The Nathrezim studied and practiced shadow and void based magics, and are practiced necromancy users.
    We saw on Draenor that the Shadowmoon clan (i.e. void practicioners) were that world's source of raising the dead.
    We've seen in BfA that the void elves are capable of using their void prowess to raise the dead.

Pretty obviously necromancy has its roots in the Void. It isn't the only source (we've seen blood-based, entirely spirit based, and to some degree holy-based) but it's the biggest.

On-topic: It'd be neat to see an antipaladin subclass that just reskins the paladin to be a void user. But it would probably be a better use of time to instead create alternate looks for things like tauren paladin, so that they have more sunwalkery toolkits.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalcifur View Post
    Canonically I don't think those are real in WoW. Closest you're gonna get is a Deathknight and even that is more of a necromancer wearing a garbage can that throws ice and cholera at their enemies.

Anti-paladin knights are more a Final Fantasy schtick if I know my rpg culture.
    Pretty sure D&D did it many years before FF was even a thing

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    This. They are tiered, not six equal schools. There is pretty clearly a link between shadow magic and necromancy.
    just like Light magic can grant life, and work in the spectrum of Life magic.

I dont think it needs to be a new class but blizzard could add a questline similar to the Green fire. Give paladins Void effects on all their spells and void eyes options.

Dark Paladins, which are according to you just a flavor-class are as a stupid idea as Dark Rangers... not gonna happen. Maybe we'll see some green-fire stuff in the future for various classes, but a seperate class or even a 4th spec isn't gonna happen, forget about it. Bad idea

Especially silly Void Elves may be Dark Paladin like Shadow Priest.
    LOL, do research first... jeez.

Oh cool. So they are same, but deal shadow dmg instead. Didn't they changed it already, so that it doesn't matter what dmg you do. There is no magic resistance anymore.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    As spell recolors it might be cool, but as an actual class? Nah bruh. That said, I'd love spell recolors for all classes, or at least as many as possible.

Wouldn’t a Dark Paladin, by definition, never exist? Maybe you could have Shadow/Dark Warriors, but Paladins in WoW are defined by their zealotry in the Light. Maybe you could make a sect about Fallen Paladins, but again, those would just be Evil Warriors as the light would no longer be theirs to wield and no longer a Paladin

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by White Goodman1 View Post
    Oh cool. So they are same, but deal shadow dmg instead. Didn't they changed it already, so that it doesn't matter what dmg you do. There is no magic resistance anymore.
    Not per se, but there are still racials like the BE one that reduces arcane damage taken or the Undead one that, indeed, reduces dmg taken from shadow.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Sure would be cool if the next class released wasn't broody teenage fanservice, but maybe that's just me.

I would however absolutely be on board for an anti-paladin reskin to justify races like Forsaken, worgen and void elves having paladin options.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't Garithos called a Dark Paladin in Warcraft III's campaign class system? I think there were a few in game units that used that moniker, so it does exist canonically. But it ultimately boils down to a Paladin with a more pragmatic mindset, using the light in more ruthless ways. It can't fit a class of its own, and really is just the retribution tree with more aesthetic.

I'd rather the Ret tree be retooled to be a bit more thematic like the Dark Paladin subclass instead.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The discussion was that Necromancy isn't shadow magic, when we clearly have necromatic abilities that are within the shadow school of magic, and necromancy has traditionally been considered a form of shadow magic.

Shadow is Void.

In the game, 'Shadow' is a catchall element like 'Fire' or 'Arcane', but that's game mechanics. Necromancy in lore was related to Shadow, but that was before they redefined everything in Chronicles. Necromancy was also listed as one of the types of Arcane magic too.

Aside from all that, no I don't think there should be a Dark Paladin/Dark Knight type class that uses void/Shadow. There's plenty of more well-established concepts to draw from than this.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-03-12 at 06:09 PM.

Especially silly Void Elves may be Dark Paladin like Shadow Priest.
    Soo you mean a shadowknight or...the death knight lol.