Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Cheating to get into college

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47543036

Desperate Housewives star Felicity Huffman is among more than 40 people charged in a US college cheating scam, according to unsealed court records.
    The alleged scheme involved helping students cheat on entrance exams, as well as getting non-athletic students admitted on fake athletic scholarships.
    Are elite colleges easy once you get in, or do believe they cheated during college as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47543036

Are elite colleges easy once you get in, or do believe they cheated during college as well?
    They are just evening the playing field tbh. Colleges already filter who they do and do not want based on arbitrary reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    If they cheated to get in then they probably cheated to stay in as well.

So I wonder what people who complain about need based scholarships have to say about this?

They know who they are.

Hope all involved do time.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-03-12 at 10:09 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The three were charged along with nearly 50 other people in a scheme in which wealthy parents allegedly bribed college coaches and insiders at college testing centers to help get their children into some of the most elite schools in the country
    Whoa this is such a new thing. I feel like this is a slippery slope.

Next thing you know, cops in Mexico will start taking bribes to avoid charging people with crimes.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

I support their decision to cheat because in this cruel world where you have to earn money in order to stay alive, these exams and qualifications are just barriers that stop people from having a good life.

Cheat so you can actually live a life, perhaps people will figure out what's wrong with this system where people starve, go homeless and suffer just because they couldn't do well in their exams which are based on arbitrary parameters. Arbitrary parameters that are applied to everybody who may think differently or have unique abilities that won't be picked up by the exam. Not only that but you have to fight to survive? You have to "earn" things to survive? Are we cavemen? Is that what we are? We can't provide for these people like an advanced civilization?

It's like a Hunger Games for our species, do well and you have a good life, don't do well and you'll suffer. It's cruel, barbaric and has no place in society. Forcing humans to compete against each other after they've just endured years of stress in school so they can get jobs to finally earn money so they can finally buy food to survive is a whole other level of cruelty and sadism. On top of that, the whole hierarchy of people who act like they're more important than other human beings and the humans who suck up to them really tilt me, we're all the same species, we're all important.

I always smile when I hear people cheating on their exams, good going people, shame they got caught.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a tradition that’s gone on since the beginning.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

No one likes cheaters.
    I went to a very selective university, and I experienced it first hand. The quality of the cohort was exemplary!
    There is a reason why the schools want exams and have a hard selection process.
    It matters.

For example, to see with your own eyes, go ahead and check opencourseware at MIT. anyone can access it and see.
    They stuff you learn, even from year one, are very advanced. Only people that are very very well prepared can follow.

Anyone that is not already top student, will just slow the others down, and is better suited at another university.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

500k for USC?

Just how shitty their kids are? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
    I always smile when I hear people cheating on their exams, good going people, shame they got caught.
    This isn’t about people cheating to hopefully get a better future: this is about wealthy people buying their kids’ way into school.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrettySweet View Post
    500k for USC?

Just how shitty their kids are? XD

Well USC is said to stand for University of Spoiled Children
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    No one likes cheaters.
    Always good to see this only 2 posts apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    This isn’t about people cheating to hopefully get a better future: this is about wealthy people buying their kids’ way into school.
    Good, that's good as well. People should abuse this system and keep cheating until society figures out the reason why they're doing it and actually changes the fundamental problem with the system in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    we definitely live in a meritocracy though folks

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    we definitely live in a meritocracy though folks
    Do you think that's a good thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a communist

Does anybody actually care about this stuff? So what, you got into Harvard, big whoop.

- - - Updated - - -

I voted for a stratocracy, but I got shut down :/

Good, that's good as well. People should abuse this system and keep cheating until society figures out the reason why they're doing it and actually changes the fundamental problem with the system in the first place.
    There are many many problems with the system. But in my opinion being selective is not one them. Universities should be selective.
    I don't see what benefit to society you think will be accomplished if people cheat to enter a good university
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Does anybody actually care about this stuff? So what, you got into Harvard, big whoop.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you want a stratocracy? What's the thinking?

Also, in this hierarchical, materialistic and career obsessed society, people do actually care because it's all about status, prestige and all that petty and vain stuff people like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
    It's MMO-C Off-Topic, friend, you can never be too sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    There are many many problems with the system. But in my opinion being selective is not one them. Universities should be selective.
    I don't see what benefit to society you think will be accomplished if people cheat to enter a good university
    There are two benefits, one is that people get to live good lives without having to jump through hurdles and hoops, and perform tricks like circus apes just for a chance at getting the basic essentials to staying alive in this society, which we should be providing for our species in this advanced civilization. The second is that if enough people abuse this stupid system, perhaps the people in charge will figure out that it's not a good system and that it's cruel, and change it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It opens a ton of employment opportunities with high starting salaries after school. Not to mention all the socializing that goes on during school and the contacts you make are invaluable.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

7+ Year Old Account
    As these are wealthy or people with status who wants to bet nothing happens to these people in the end and the kids still end up in some elite or high end college. American, home of 2 different justice systems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ctd12345 View Post
    you can even end up president, or fucking the presidents daughter
    Unfortunately you're only entitled to sloppy seconds after daddy.