The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ford to the 49ers sucks but after the splurge the Packers did this morning they were clearly out.

OBJ though. Hooooooo boy. First I think this makes the Browns serious contenders not just in the AFC North, but in the entire AFC. Second, the Giants should do right by Eli and either trade him or release him. It's clear they're rebuilding for life after Eli now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    The new game in the NFL is to just rebuild every 4 years and try to win a super bowl with everyone on rookie contracts. Contracts are so inflated.
    Nah there's a clear life cycle to teams these days.

First you draft a QB and waste their Rookie year.

Then you fire that coach and bring in a hot young QB guru and veteran, ex-head coach DC.

Then you overspend on the defense to try and win.

Then you either break the bank for said QBs second deal or cut everyone and return to step one.

If you resigned the QB then you rebuild everywhere else every 3-5 years because the QB is a third of your salary cap.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

The return for OBJ was not excessive, it wasn't even at OBJ's value. The Giants got fucking robbed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    The new game in the NFL is to just rebuild every 4 years and try to win a super bowl with everyone on rookie contracts. Contracts are so inflated.
    How many teams have actually succeeded by doing that? Even if you ignore the Patriots. Eagles may have had a young QB but they certainly didn't have that many people on first contracts. Broncos weren't built like that. So, before that, Seahawks I guess? But they didn't really tank to build up the team.

I mean, maybe teams have been TRYING to win this way, but the Rams and Browns were awful for like 5+ years before stumbling into QB's/coaches that made them work. The Chiefs have a young QB, but have a fairly old roster otherwise and they didn;t really tank to get here.

I think the more persuasive argument is that until you have a good QB, you are toast and nothing you do elsewhere will help you win a Superbowl if you do not have a QB.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Ford to the 49ers sucks but after the splurge the Packers did this morning they were clearly out.

OBJ though. Hooooooo boy. First I think this makes the Browns serious contenders not just in the AFC North, but in the entire AFC. Second, the Giants should do right by Eli and either trade him or release him. It's clear they're rebuilding for life after Eli now.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah there's a clear life cycle to teams these days.

First you draft a QB and waste their Rookie year.

Then you fire that coach and bring in a hot young QB guru and veteran, ex-head coach DC.

Then you overspend on the defense to try and win.

Then you either break the bank for said QBs second deal or cut everyone and return to step one.

If you resigned the QB then you rebuild everywhere else every 3-5 years because the QB is a third of your salary cap.
    Except then you have Andrew Luck and the Colts. Guy on an expensive second contract and that team is still going to cause MANY headaches in the (near) future. It doesn't really matter if you pay your QB. You just need to HAVE a QB.

- - - Updated - - -

"It looks like Dee Ford should be in line for an extension with the 49ers. 5 years for roughly 87.5 million I’m told per source." - James Palmer

I wonder what this means for the Niners draft plans. They suddenly don't really need Bosa and they don;t really need a QB. They are primed for a trade down now you would think, to maybe the Giants moving up for a QB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    How many teams have actually succeeded by doing that? Even if you ignore the Patriots. Eagles may have had a young QB but they certainly didn't have that many people on first contracts. Broncos weren't built like that. So, before that, Seahawks I guess? But they didn't really tank to build up the team.

I mean, maybe teams have been TRYING to win this way, but the Rams and Browns were awful for like 5+ years before stumbling into QB's/coaches that made them work. The Chiefs have a young QB, but have a fairly old roster otherwise and they didn;t really tank to get here.

I think the more persuasive argument is that until you have a good QB, you are toast and nothing you do elsewhere will help you win a Superbowl if you do not have a QB.
    I didn't say it was working. I still say you pick your pillar on offense and pillar on defense then build around them. It helps when you can ink those second and third wave FAs that end up fitting the system well. Seems like the bad teams think that rebuilding so often is a good idea.

Problem with the Seahawks is those pillars can collectively account for 1/3rd of the cap on their 3rd contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The return for OBJ was not excessive, it wasn't even at OBJ's value. The Giants got fucking robbed.
    You are out of your damn mind. 17th and 95th pick in the draft PLUS a player on year 3 of a 4 year rookie contract and the Giants get rid of a huge void in salary cap hell overpaying the hell out of a receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Why? OBJ is a good WR who's been often injured (finished each of the past two years on injured reserve) and has a huge contract. They got a 23 year old safety who's a solid starter with 2-3 cheap years of control plus a first and third round pick. That's three decent cheap players for one good expensive one.
    Exactly. It isn't like overpaying for a receiver really does anything for you either. Moreso when the receiver is a freaking headcase and more drama than you'd ever want. Just acquire more chips for when you eventually decide on a 1st round QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    You are out of your damn mind. 17th and 95th pick in the draft PLUS a player on year 3 of a 4 year rookie contract and the Giants get rid of a huge void in salary cap hell overpaying the hell out of a receiver.
    21m over the next 2 years, that's what the Giants will have on their cap for OBJ In fact, the cap hit difference between the Giants and Cleveland this year for OBJ is 16m/17m respectively.

Draft picks are wildly overrated. Plus, it's the 2nd of 2 3rd round picks the Browns have. Gettleman got taken to the cleaners. Browns got guaranteed talent (hall of fame-level talent, at that) for a shot in the dark at #17.

He doesn't like losing. I think his characterization as a dick is wildly overblown. He's going to Cleveland with his best friend Jarvis Landry, his old WR coach, and a young QB. He's known as being a tireless worker, and his teammates tend to have favorable opinions of him.

I just can't believe people buy into this "locker room cancer" bullshit with talented young athletes who want to win.

10+ Year Old Account
    "After trade for Odell Beckham Jr., Browns’ GM John Dorsey and agent Drew Rosenhaus mutually agreed to not to follow through on verbal agreement with WR Breshad Perriman, per @mortreport and me. Perriman now will sign a one-year, $4 million deal with Tampa Bay, per source." - Schefter

This was funny to me. It was tweeted out earlier that Perriman was NOT happy with the Beckham trade. He gets to play in Florida now instead. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgot this earlier. 17 for OBJ just proves the Steelers were basically going to release AB if they had to. A thirdv round pick, total fleecing job.

Why Panthers or the Giants do nothing atm sigh.

I can see what the Giants are probably doing now, trying to rebuild, and then use most of their picks in this defense heavy draft class...

This offseason is just mind blowing wow.
    Last edited by PokeKitty; 2019-03-13 at 04:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry Giants are tearing everything down and tanking, don't expect them to do anything. </s>

- - - Updated - - -

Bell to the Jets!
    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...84966048972806

4 year, $52 mil total.
    https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1105686365340139520
    Last edited by Slowpoke is a Gamer; 2019-03-13 at 04:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    I've been sitting here staring at stats but here's what it comes down to for me:

The Giants had never been built around a diva wide receiver until recently, and I didn't like it. It's not fun knowing that this one mercurial player can torpedo your roster because he takes up 15% of the cap and he's volatile as hell. Especially given that we're gonna probably be getting a new QB soon, and trying to rebuild our team with OBJ as the veteran. A lot of things about that situation seem scary.

I know we had LT and he wasn't exactly a paragon of stability, but I think it's different when you're dealing with a WR. The big issue with WRs is, it's really easy to get frustrated playing that position if your team is losing and you don't get the ball, and you become a problem. LT was a pass rusher, and I don't think you get the same helpless feeling at that position, because you're going to get your chances consistently every game.

It sucks that we're wasting 16 mill of dead cap space this year on him, but I'm happy that this signals a direction that I'm more familiar with - Giants built around a good line, ok quarterback, and HOPEFULLY, finding some talented pass rushers in the draft. I would be surprised if Gettleman didn't use one of his picks on a pass rusher this year - the Giants went 27 years with having at least one and sometimes multiple of these guys on the roster at all times:

JPP
    Tuck
    Umenyiora
    Strahan
    Taylor

And now they don't have anyone at all and finished 31st in rushing.

So bye Beckham... whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

"Meh"

-The entire Jets fan base

"Meh"

-Le'Veon Bell when accepting the offer. It's a match made in heaven folks.
    Yup. So in the end the best offer Bell got was the deal he sat out a whole year over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who knows how good OBJ could be with a QB other than Eli?
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this tampering period has been crazy so far!

RIP Giants fans. God what an utter shit show that's going on there. Not sure what their plan is?

10+ Year Old Account
    As the last team in Tampering period to make a move, the Patriots finally on the board. BIG signings. (not)

Signed a rotational Edge guy, John Simon, that was a good piece down the stretch last year and they signed back RB Brandon Boldon, who is mostly a special teams ace (an area where the Patriots were notably weaker than usual last year).

Same as it ever was.

Now hoping for that bargain bin (slot) receiver to be signed and a blocking TE. Wild times ahead for the Patriots.

- - - Updated - - -

"#Saints K Wil Lutz has agreed to terms on a 5-year deal, source said. He was an RFA." - Rapoport

Good news for the Saints.

Thank you browns for taking stone hands Harris. Tired of seeing him drop passes the chiefs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Earl Thomas is a Raven, Jason Myers is a Seahawk, Tyrod is a Charger, and that should just about do us for Legal Tampering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Well this tampering period has been crazy so far!

RIP Giants fans. God what an utter shit show that's going on there. Not sure what their plan is?
    Run their promising young RB into the ground without a hint of being competitive until he is spent and even more bitter than Le'Veon Bell?
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Run their promising young RB into the ground without a hint of being competitive until he is spent and even more bitter than Le'Veon Bell?
    Don't remember where but I heard this yesterday but consider the following:

-Giants trade OBJ last offseason to the Browns, which they were discussing then as well, for #4.

-Giants take a QB at 2, Jets take a QB at 3, Giants take Barkley at 4.

-Last year was the Eli Farewell Tour, trade him this offseason to Denver or Miami or Jacksonville.

-Trade, Draft, or Sign a WR this offseason.

-Boom you're back to at least respectability and it only took two years.

I think it may have been late night ESPN Radio....