Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It doesn't matter that they are (pulling numbers out of thin air) ten times less numerous than the average player if they spend twenty times more.

The smash success of microtransactions (in terms of $) doesn't lie. It's a strategy that works very, very well and is a lot easier to make customers swallow than a sub fee.
    Try a hundred plus times less numerous, and twenty times zero is zero.

Realistically, spending falls on a spectrum, and "whales" are the tiny tip of that distribution.

The reason subs have been largely replaced by FTP models is not necessarily because FTP models are more profitable, it might simply be competitive pressure. If FTP really made more money I have no doubt Blizzard would end their sub fee and start stocking the store. They'd be fools not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Try a hundred plus times less numerous, and twenty times zero is zero.

Realistically, spending falls on a spectrum, and "whales" are the tiny tip of that distribution.

The reason subs have been largely replaced by FTP models is not necessarily because FTP models are more profitable, it might simply be competitive pressure. If FTP really made more money I have no doubt Blizzard would end their sub fee and start stocking the store. They'd be fools not to.
    I wasn't talking about WoW here, but other properties. Across the market, microtransaction-based games are far more common than sub-based ones and are usually more profitable thanks in part to generally having lower operating costs.

WoW has had 15 years of being a sub-based game, changing that will not be taken lightly, and if the Diablo Immortal fiasco is to be believed it will be a PR nightmare from the get go. But will we see a Warcraft property with microtransactions within the next five years? I believe it a possibility.

I wasn't talking about WoW here, but other properties. Across the market, microtransaction-based games are far more common than sub-based ones and are usually more profitable thanks in part to generally having lower operating costs.

WoW has had 15 years of being a sub-based game, changing that will not be taken lightly, and if the Diablo Immortal fiasco is to be believed it will be a PR nightmare from the get go. But will we see a Warcraft property with microtransactions within the next five years? I believe it a possibility.
    Honestly, I'm not even all that appaled by MT driven f2p games as long as they keep the cash shop firmly not-pay to win. Games like Path of Exile are awesome and I could see a Warcraft or Diablo IP prospering in a similar model. Honestly, Blizzard needs to move out to new IP's, The rabid fanbase around their existing stuff is insatiable, and creating Diablo/Warcraft Lite is only going to russle jimmies.

On that note, the real fuck up with Diablo Immortal was announcing it as the cornerstone of their hardcore-PC-master-race-convention. If you look at hearthstone's reveal, it was done outside of blizzcon with a much gentler-touch approach, tempering expectations ahead of time (like 'this is not a new expansion pack or RTS title').

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Honestly, I'm not even all that appaled by MT driven f2p games as long as they keep the cash shop firmly not-pay to win. Games like Path of Exile are awesome and I could see a Warcraft or Diablo IP prospering in a similar model. Honestly, Blizzard needs to move out to new IP's, The rabid fanbase around their existing stuff is insatiable, and creating Diablo/Warcraft Lite is only going to russle jimmies.

On that note, the real fuck up with Diablo Immortal was announcing it as the cornerstone of their hardcore-PC-master-race-convention. If you look at hearthstone's reveal, it was done outside of blizzcon with a much gentler-touch approach, tempering expectations ahead of time (like 'this is not a new expansion pack or RTS title').
    You're certainly right, but you know how the internet is. Fans are spooked now, and any free to play or title with microtransactions better look impeccable before launch or the fury of a thousand fans and dozens of click-hungry Youtubers will bear down on Blizzard.

I doubt they're more profitable. Do you have evidence of this?

In any case, WoW has a sub AND a cash shop, so it has both. It just doesn't put a lot of stuff in that shop. That's one of the things about cash shops - you put too much stuff in there and the community decides you're PTW, so it's a bit of a risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

That really doesnt sound good for Blizzard if BfA is their "best game".

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I doubt they're more profitable. Do you have evidence of this?

In any case, WoW has a sub AND a cash shop, so it has both. It just doesn't put a lot of stuff in that shop. That's one of the things about cash shops - you put too much stuff in there and the community decides you're PTW, so it's a bit of a risk.
    true but wow shop is nearly non existent.

if it was f2p game you would have by now 500 different armour/weapon skins and like 300 mounts / 1500 pets in shops after so many years of shop existing.

and you have what 10 mounts and 15 pets ? it has nothing in common with f2p cash shops

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    true but wow shop is nearly non existent.

if it was f2p game you would have by now 500 different armour/weapon skins and like 300 mounts / 1500 pets in shops after so many years of shop existing.

and you have what 10 mounts and 15 pets ? it has nothing in common with f2p cash shops
    I would imagine that the token sells rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    Overwatch is their new golden IP now, that's where their focus will be.
    overwatchs downfall started quite some time ago. It will keep fizzling out and die.

Hy I am Michael and i am a big fan of call of duty but it was a fantastic series and upcoming was cod ghost 2 accroding to rumors
    Last edited by Michael311; 2019-03-13 at 06:54 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    A. We don't know the breakdown of that 58%.
    It doesn't matter, since regardless of the breakdown it is still the top franchise for Blizzard as the other top franchises were Candy Crush and CoD which are both not Blizzard Games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    That really doesnt sound good for Blizzard if BfA is their "best game".
    Or it just sounds like the majority doesn't care about the constant crying people on Forums partake in and just enjoy the game.

No surprise for me. How much I paid is probably half of their income ^^

Paid for what? Do you rly ask me for this? So let's be done and I'll tell you the big part of this what I know myself about this theme. First, take a glass (or some WoW gold with sale price) and pour water in too, that should be enough good for what we try to do. We will try to sell-buy wow gold EU for many players on this continent. Cheap and safe wow gold for sale

What is most important for us and what we must do for the new beginning? I'm sure it will be great to be prepared for any situation in RS (in RS Old School also). Today I met a few friends in my most liked Mass Multiplayer Online game :-)
    for buying gold? I always recommend Odealo marketplace. I met trusted sellers there and I'm back there on and on. Thank you very much and pls let me know what you feel about ;*https://odealo.com/games/wow-eu this is gold
    Last edited by Doohreven; 2019-06-04 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soluna View Post
    I love how the OP says 'Candy Crush, Black OPs and WoW account for 58% of the company revenue for activision blizzard', and you have these mongoloids here saying 'Yeah but do you know how much of that 58% accounts to WoW?', well, who the fuck cares, WoW is the only Blizzard game mentioned, so it performs better than StarCraft, Diablo, Overwatch, and Hearthstone, therefore, it's the best game in Blizzard's portofolio right now in terms of money making.
    I think the point is WoW could be at 10.5% and Overwatch could be at 9.5%, for example. That gap could be closed rather easily.

We know Overwatch was > 10% in 2016 and 2017, but fell under 10% in 2018. We also know that when Overwatch was included, the total was 66%/69% instead of 58%. So it could be that Overwatch was 11% last year (pushing 58% to 69%) and everything else stayed about equal. But that seems unlikely with the expansion schedule for WoW. They should see big bumps for Legion and BFA, then tail down for in-between years.

If WoW is king but on the downward trend and Overwatch were to be on an upswing, that could still impact strategy and funding on the Blizzard side. And that was probably true a year or two ago when Overwatch was trendy with the kids, but in a Fortnite world, that's likely why Overwatch got bumped from the list.

This itself is important, because it means Blizzard will want to be the "next new thing" which could mean a battle royale game/mode or could mean they want to find the next game style that will be trendy.

For me the sad thing here is it sounds like WoW makes less money than Candy Crush.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Most of our $15 a month goes elsewhere. Virtually none of it goes back into wow. Patches with half a year in between one another being evidence.

Wow has always been the golden goose. Some sites reconfirming it won't change the very little bit of money and effort that goes back into the game.

World of Warcraft is comps composed of like 9 different wholly unique styles in many ways many of which aren't compatible at all with each other and are basically
    stand-alone experiences.

Many of them were created in the early days of gaming and well stay awhile and listen I guess.

The old antebellum slave system is what produced a lot of these games honestly... America being focused on winning it all and so on....

Whehter it's the USSR or whatever they wanted to conquer they brought peoiple in and like everyone they were brough t in via the south so that's why San Diego and Orange County
    became game cu hub centers.

These developers couldn't work in the north like everyone else , and allso at the time people werent' thinking like this game franchise that game franchise they were
    pretty much just like "those peoiple" and everyone got lumped together give or take.

So anyway that's why everything involving Everquest and WoW and stuff is a pretty crazy mess is because it overlaps with the pretty strange way it all got here...

Now of course people don't care about thatl , as well they shouldn't because it's an era not worth remembering, but it does mean disentangling who wants to go where when
    and how is pretty complex.

The way I understand it through the carrier pigoeons so to speak is J Allen is 100% done he wants to go north and build the premier games , definitely feels like he's been
    held back by Allen and Mike and the whole culture. He's the guy that engineered the secret sauce of TBC that no develpoer really before or since has replicated,
    and now that theres all this heat he's ready to demonstrate that spark again, once the obligations under the old system are basically fulfilled he's probably completely gone.

The story team on the other hand is all ove r the place, as enforcers for the old system they feel cheated, but they also can obviously understand why people are
    not all with this... one c reccomendation popped up which is for the story team to actually make their own games.. I don't know if this board has any warlords of Draenor
    fans from a purely game perspective... but honestly? It's something... isn't it? I Mean as a game... so they might go off and form their own thing like Anaheim Game Studios or
    something like that.

They'll probably also provide some support for I think Dave Kosak and the uh what's her name... Golden... they might still tinker around with the story universe whether as
    part of Blizzard or possibly at another company, having tott gotten somewhat attached to the characters.

Chris and Sam though are pretty done, they're tired of this and feel they're HOllywood grade people and so they want big promotions to so speak... however that would
    have evaded their role in the antebellum system so I think they actually are going to do the Anaheim thing which isn't really a real thing I'm speaking in very nebulous this
    is the vague directions I believe people are going so to speak so don't look for actual announcements along the lines of what I'm wriin writing here.

Personally I think they should make their own games and maybe go to Hollywood and do that also one day... it doesn't have to be either or I think.... not sure though.

The only other major people involved with WoW that I can think of is Pardo and crew, and they long ago decided as well know to make Bonfire studios... and they seem
    kinda happy a bit in the south so to speak.

Pardo and Carpenter are definitely the engine behind the cinematics and Wrath of the LIch King cinematic etc stuff like that they make that happen, so I think everyone
    acknowledges that as a super potent thing to be leveraged going forward.

IMo those that want their nice cheeseburgery feel of Blizzard should probably follow Bonfire in the near future... and those that want the game stuff will just probably have
    to wait awhile to hopefully basically get something.

Lastly we have of course, Vanilla, which was produced basically entirely by the Blizzard North team and was covered up after more or less pretty bad... that's a whole
    nother story that it is probably just barely getting started honestly.

Suffice to say supporting Bill Roper in his new enterprises would be a good wayto repave some positive relations there.

Basically - no one should be saying "WoW" when it's like 6 things that will absolutely basically 100% not be connected going forward.

In truth building all these things at Allen's company was the WORST possibl e idea because Allen is actually very territorial and possessive , he wants the company back the way
    it was in the old days... and that has the others freaked out...

A lot of stuff there, but we're still not done... there's 3 more branches of blizzard that want independent recognition and I think they should
    all get it.

1. Alex Asfrasiabi's Blizzard, more or less a branch of Everquest in contradicition to everyone else he actually wanted basically to go more
    south back to Everquest a bit... not really but he was like very suspicious of the north thing and wants a unique situation whihch can
    probably be provided, he'll probably run his own independent studio at some point, he has similar ambitions to J Allen and
    is responsible for a ol lot of the European fantasy infleunces in WoW like the Scarlet Crusade and stuff.

2. Half-Italian/Kevin'Her oes of the Storm Blizzard - More or less just a term In vinented to describe the like "we're nerds!" Blizzard
    with lots of color and zap and stuff and it is sorta generic but I think one a lot of people are attached to.... they just roll with wath whatever
    seems positive and happy and can probably be found just about w anywhere in the near g future...

3. The one Blizzard virtually eveyrone came to identify with Blizzard t and the one the machine/the man wants a hold off..
    the HORDE Blizzard this is like 10000% Alan Dabiri and a few others... they basically got promoted big time in the machine logic
    and probably won't be found at Blizzard in hte near future but might be... it's not clear geographically where they want to go or what
    they want exactly but there the ones that get basically all the accolades.

This is what it's come to, the best solution for a lot of these blizzard devs? EA.. no seriously... EA is the future for all this in the south... which might be weird for peoiple but I gurantee
    it's true.

And anyway, maybe all these fans who want to see, whatever you want to see, whatever style, can help make all the future happen I think.

Basically the Left wanted Everquest hence Amazon game studios and all that... the right wanted Alan and the Horde thing...

which has left all the above just sorta flailing... and basically they need your help more or less to get somewhere because no one else
    as part of the big institutions and such honestly cares about them that much at this point.

It's like Illidan said, only we can save ourselves.

That all said progress has already been made....

Bill is clearly happy with Europe, he has already got all these relations with London and stuff, and the new studio is I think based in Edmonton
    . Europe is giving all the interest etc that they never got as part of Blizzard etc... so I think that's his path going forward.

As I said J Allen probably should go to EA at some point... Alex should make his own studio and I think increasingly has the means
    to do so....

Chris and Sam are obviously totally invested in the story parts and probably will continue that in parts.

Bonfire is 5-6 yars years in and isn't that big of a problem.

Kevin like I said is pretty o mobile and he could easily join any of the others at any time.

John Smedley and Alan Dabiri now have the highest opportunities like anywhere on the planet so there's no issues for them.

And I think Allen and Mike just want their company back... and maybe kinda like the south a bit like Pardo... they're the coolest
    and calmest customers so they don't necessarily have the big demands etc atm.
    Last edited by Senphiroth1134; 2019-03-13 at 08:20 PM.