Poll: Release sub numbers of classic eventually?

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Will Blizzard release sub numbers of Classic eventually?

Trying to create a "i told you so" moment a few/lot of months into the future
    Agree or disagree (we will have a talk a few months from now to see who was right)

Here is my theory:

Blizzard will at some point in time say how many people are playing Classic.
    Why?
    Because this whole project was built upon the theories of fans about "what is best? Classic VS Retail"
    Blizzard will not be able to resist the urge to say:

"See i told you so, you think you do but you dont" (low subs)
    OR
    "Cool, the forum dwellers were actually right" (a lot of subs)

Blizzard has the right...the OBLIGATION to release the sub numbers of Classic...for Science!
    For many many many many years forum dwellers were discussing if this project would be a success or a failure.

Sub numbers will put an end to this discussion.
    It will either shut us up (low subs)
    Or enable us to talk more (high subs)

Either way...i think Blizzard will do it
    They have to...they have an obligation here.
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2019-03-13 at 04:56 PM.

I don't think they like to release sub numbers anymore, because the media likes picking up on it, and it's bad press for the game when the sub numbers suffer a huge dip.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    No they won't. 12 million subs in WotLK had people only fighting wether it means the game is at its greatest or if flies like shit. What would it achieve if they said 1 million play Classic, but don't release "current x-pac" numbers.

It will mean as little, as saying how BfA sold more copies than any other x-pac on release.

Also, how COULD they release sub numbers, since "current x-pac" and Classic run on one and the same sub. So they could release MAU separately for Classic or "current x-pac"

Either way...i DON'T think Blizzard will do it - this is my theory
    My theory:
    They will give us some kind of metric to put an end to the discussion.

How will the metric be? I dont know

They will NOT release Retail numbers. Thats a given

But they need to give us a metric to see how many people login in classic....they have to.

(see you in a few months det!)

10+ Year Old Account
    What classic subs? You aren't subbing to classic...

Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    Sorry...bad wording...REALLY bad wording!

I should have said "some kind of metric of players".
    Players logged in
    created accounts
    MAU's
    etc

I failed...im sorry

Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    As he said...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Sorry...bad wording...REALLY bad wording!

I should have said "some kind of metric of players".
    Players logged in
    created accounts
    MAU's
    etc

I failed...im sorry
    They may, because we all know these numbers will be quite impressive at start. But I doubt they will release any metrics year or two after Classic release.

No. Because they will be worse than current wow's subs within a year after release.

Classic appeals to people clinging onto their childhood because they have nothing redeeming or going on in their adulthood.

As is with most people that cling to nostalgia.

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There won't be a "Classic sub number" per say, subscription will be required to play WoW.

What we will probably have if, and only if, classic have a huge amount of players playing it after the first couple of months, is a number of people playing Classic.

Like (this is a hypothetical scenario don't give me bs) WoW classic is able to pull up to 10 million players world wide for 3 months, I bet they will release this info in some quarter saying that classic is a huge success yadda yadda. This will be probably more on the Activision side than anyone else just to 'sell' numbers to stakeholders.

Hopefully we won't get this kind of unwanted attention, the best for classic is a small but steady amount of players.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3

The metric could be MAU.

Whatever metric that could be......they don't have to.

Whatever metric they release (if any) - there will never be an end to any discussion. Here is an example: Guy predicts the exact end of WoW. 4th quarter of 2015. https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...2#post29402702 As expected it was bullshit. Did the "discussion" that WoW is dying stop? No...currently we have people claiming "There will be no next x-pac"

There will never be an end to any discussion. If Classic works well...or doesn't - next up ppl will demand TBC servers. If they get it, there will be a discussion if TBC servers will kill Classic servers.

There will never be an end to any discussion

There will never be .....

(I shall be here Togabitio)
    In this particular case...it will put an end to the discussion IMO
    This is after all what we asked for.
    If this fails, it sure as hell means you WILL NOT see Wrath of the Lich King servers nor TBC servers.

It will be the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree or disagree (we will have a talk a few months from now to see who was right)

Here is my theory:

Why?
    Because this whole project was built upon the theories of fans about "what is best? Classic VS Retail"

OR

Blizzard has the right...the OBLIGATION to release the sub numbers of Classic...for Science!
    For many many many many years forum dwellers were discussing if this project would be a success or a failure.

They may, they may not... However, they are under no obligation to release anything.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

No they won't. 12 million subs in WotLK had people only fighting wether it means the game is at its greatest or if flies like shit. What would it achieve if they said 1 million play Classic, but don't release "current x-pac" numbers.

It will mean as little, as saying how BfA sold more copies than any other x-pac on release.

Also, how COULD they release sub numbers, since "current x-pac" and Classic run on one and the same sub. So they could release MAU separately for Classic or "current x-pac"

Either way...i DON'T think Blizzard will do it - this is my theory
    They can definitely see account traffic on their seperate servers. They will know how many plays classic, retail or both.

15+ Year Old Account
    No.

They will group "retail" and Classic MAUs together as "World of Warcraft MAUs" because they're both subscribed to the same service.

That's the whole point of them sharing the same subscription.

If they divulge any specific numbers, it will be probably be statistics presented in infographic form, like "number of players killed by Hogger."

I don't think they'll take that tone against one of their own products, it makes no sense. They don't really care that we are all here arguing over which is the superior version of WoW, when really we all know that it's... a secret

No, if anything they'll refer to the player count as high or average

Think about this, for example, what will happen when players start demanding for TBC servers...of future patches...or wathever players will demand 2/3 years from now.

Blizzard will have to do a response.
    And in that reply they will have to say:

"Not many people play Classic WoW to justify a TBC server...or future patches"
    Or something else...

They will have to say something to us. Some kind of metric to shut the community up

What does it matter? Their job is to supply the game, not their own internal business numbers.

They wont release any sub numbers. Its not smart to release such useless information to the public. It can only harm them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinousek View Post
    What does it matter? Their job is to supply the game, not their own internal business numbers.
    But "they have to" imo

because the release of classic WoW is actually something of a "Prophecy" level.
    This is a huge thing being discussed for ages....years on the forums and in the community in general.

This is a thing of legend proportions. This is stuff written in legends.

Science needs this numbers.

10+ Year Old Account

Here is my theory:

Why?

OR

Of course they won't, since that is the subscription number for World of Warcraft.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Of course they won't, since that is the subscription number for World of Warcraft.
    "a metric of active players" my bad