Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    The only thing that the 1st issue keeps reinforcing for 95% of it is that the character's identity is a Muslim, the last 5% is the "dream trip".
    This is a superhero comic, people bought it to get into the fantasy action of fantastic characters, of which the introduction issue has basically none, which is a FAILURE.
    "It gets better later" is not an excuse.
    So you didn't read it? She's mostly a gushing nerd girl from Jersey who suddenly develops super powers and names herself after her favourite hero.

Ms Marvel #1 knocked it out of the park.

Except the 2nd version of Captain Marvel was a black woman... who in the movie is the little black girl. It feels a little insulting because Carol Danvers was the 7th Captain Marvel that came into existance like 7 years ago, when before that she was the original Mrs Marvel.
    I had totally forgotten about that Cap Marvel until someone linked the picture in this thread and memories came flooding back. As I've mentioned before (and my brother and a friend also said), Ms Marvel Carol Danvers only impact in my day was giving Rogue her powers.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    btw CM dropped by 71,6% on Monday, not a good developement.
    Monday drop off is meaningless. Just because I prefer to go to movies on a Monday doesn't mean everyone else does.

Next weekend is what matters. How much it drops off remains to be seen. Aquaman had a good run because it had a strong opening and better than expected retention. Thor 3 did well on opening but had some pretty heavy drop offs in the coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    So you didn't read it? She's mostly a gushing nerd girl from Jersey who suddenly develops super powers and names herself after her favourite hero.

Ms Marvel #1 knocked it out of the park.
    I'm sure that 1 page of fanfiction doesn't really amount to anything.
    There's literaly no story in the 1st issue.
    Last edited by Jshadowhunter; 2019-03-13 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's very little "gurl power" stuff in the film, really. The character just isn't stereotypically feminine. That's basically it. There's a few times people treat her misogynistically, and she doesn't put up with it, but that's more "you're an asshole, so fuck you" than anything else.

The greatest strength of the film, IMO, is exactly this; it doesn't treat Danvers as "good enough even though she's a girl". Her gender is completely irrelevant to her.
    I meant the way said critics are treating it, independently of the actual content many are treating it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    We've had a single VERY slight teaser in the last major release, her actual film, and now she'll be in the next big "everyone fall in" teamup film. They aren't "pushing her in", any more than they are Black Panther or Doctor Strange. Less so, really.
    Same deal here, there's a lot of info going around saying that she's supposed to be the center of the mcu from now on. Both cases are more about how the media is pushing this movie than its actual contents.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that the 1st issue keeps reinforcing for 95% of it is that the character's identity is a Muslim, the last 5% is the "dream trip".
    This is a superhero comic, people bought it to get into the fantasy action of fantastic characters, of which the introduction issue has basically none, which is a FAILURE.
    "It gets better later" is not an excuse.
    I ment the characters story’s over all not just the first issue as I already said it doesn’t exist in a vacuum.

It gets better later is also tottaly reasonable as well not that there is any thing wrong with her first issue. as Allmost no #1s are riveting fanstasy adventures.

I don't see it either. Its very clear that she was always high powered and only Kree mind control kept it in check.
    I didn't watch Alita until it kept getting brought up in this discussion, so watched it last night and loved it. It was very engaging for me. Later I was thinking of the obvious comparisons with Cap Marvel. CM's power seemed unearned and her "get up" flashbacks were just... bland for me. Alita's flashbacks were plot, rather than inspiration, but her inspiration was much more energetic. Likewise, Alita didn't "earn" her power in any way, but the scale and such were just much better done for me than Cap Marvels "thing blew up, now I'm a god" approach. Alita's plot had plenty of coincidence, but it didn't feel as cheap as CM's often nonsensical leaps (track a motor cycle to get there first).
    Fury was much better than Alita's guy though!

On topic though, is there some reason the Kree trained CM?
    She absorbed the energy from the explosion, then got some Kree blood. They wiped her memory and began training her as a star trooper or whatever, but why? I'd think they'd just knock her out and dissect her to learn about the Space Gems power and how she contained it. Why teach a human test pilot to be a covert commando? She used a rifle, not her photon blasts, so that doesn't seem it.
    Last edited by Svifnymr; 2019-03-13 at 10:39 PM.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

I'll tell you Marvel Trolls the same thing I told DC Shills when Green Lantern dropped.

You deserve a better movie than this.

And in regards to the casting of well-known racist and sexist Brie Larson, would you have accepted say...R. Kelly as Nick Fury? Mel Gibson as Doctor Strange? How about Katie Holmes-era Tom cruise as Iron Man to kick off the entire franchise? Do you understand where some of the bad seeds are taking root. The movie is mediocre by Marvel standards and you deserve better. Women deserve better. Feminism deserves better than this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Other then you know her fighting with her family sneaking out to a party and finding her self in the terogen mist.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Other then you know her fighting with her family sneaking out to a party and finding her self in the terogen mist.
    And how is that an engaging story introduction to the character?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    I'll tell you Marvel Trolls the same thing I told DC Shills when Green Lantern dropped.

And in regards to the casting of well-known racist and sexist Brie Larson, would you have accepted say...R. Kelly as Nick Fury? Mel Gibson as Doctor Strange? How about Katie Holmes-era Tom cruise as Iron Man to kick off the entire franchise? Do you understand where some of the bad seeds are taking root. The movie is mediocre by Marvel standards and you deserve better. Women deserve better. Feminism deserves better than this.
    Given how subpar miss marvel has always been I think this is a lot better then it could have been, hell I think it beats out a lot of the other movies like Thor 1-2 iron man 2-3 ant man and wasp ect.

Given how subpar miss marvel has always been I think this is a lot better then it could have been, hell I think it beats out a lot of the other movies like Thor 1-2 iron man 2-3 ant man and wasp ect.
    That's

not

good enough.

She and her friends are hanging out at the local convenience store. Bacon is discussed because the world revolves around bacon.
    They receive word of a party from the local Mean Girl. Our protagonist wants to go because Teenager.
    She then goes home to Nerd Girl Things. Parents don't understand. Also they don't understand Parties. I believe the Beastie Boys/Fresh Prince discussed this at one point.
    She skips out to Party anyways because Teenager.
    Finds out Party isn't to her taste. Leaves and walks into a Fog Bank. Fog Bank is actually Terrigen Mists.
    Starts tripping balls.
    Hallucinates a conversation with the Avengers. Captain Marvel in particular. Wishes life was simpler and wants to be a super-powered Jersey girl.
    Accidentally turns into OG Ms Marvel instead.

That is what's referred to as a "plot". Add cool art to taste.

Its also an ongoing thing with the comic. Her parents expect her to be the good Muslim girl who will get a fancy job when she grows up. She think she's just a regular Jersey girl who likes nerd stuff and wants to save her neighbourhood. Its pretty much a Spider-man comic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    On topic though, is there some reason the Kree trained CM?
    She absorbed the energy from the explosion, then got some Kree blood. They wiped her memory and began training her as a star trooper or whatever, but why? I'd think they'd just knock her out and dissect her to learn about the Space Gems power and how she contained it. Why teach a human test pilot to be a covert commando? She used a rifle, not her photon blasts, so that doesn't seem it.
    They wanted to study her and use her at same time. Remember she's having regular conversations with the Supreme Intelligence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
    I'm a colossal Marvel fan,and got all super sayan and beyond overpowered?
    Colossal marvel fan, doesn't know it is called "Binary form".
    And not really OP. Thor was OP when he threw Stormbraker at Thanos, which would have killed him if he had gone for the head.

7+ Year Old Account
    And how is that an interesting story?
    Again it doesn’t exist in a vaccum it’s not the full story. But here are few things that might keep people reading, interest in the personally shown, interest in the terrogenmist and inhumans in general, interest in the ending with her coming out looking like mid mavel. Pretty much no issue has more then thoses basic things with just source of power/end cliff hanger of said power swaped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    And not really OP. Thor was OP when he threw Stormbraker at Thanos, which would have killed him if he had gone for the head.
    Some of us like to not think about the time Carol called herself "Binary" and was in space fighting the Brood. Wasn't a huge fan of those times, myself.

Edit: Sorry, can't remember if she called herself Binary back then. But I do know the form she takes is called "binary form."

7+ Year Old Account
    That's

not

good enough.

And why is that? Why is beating out other mavel movies and all dc movies not enough?

She and her friends are hanging out at the local convenience store. Bacon is discussed because the world revolves around bacon.
    They receive word of a party from the local Mean Girl. Our protagonist wants to go because Teenager.
    She then goes home to Nerd Girl Things. Parents don't understand. Also they don't understand Parties. I believe the Beastie Boys/Fresh Prince discussed this at one point.
    She skips out to Party anyways because Teenager.
    Finds out Party isn't to her taste. Leaves and walks into a Fog Bank. Fog Bank is actually Terrigen Mists.
    Starts tripping balls.
    Hallucinates a conversation with the Avengers. Captain Marvel in particular. Wishes life was simpler and wants to be a super-powered Jersey girl.
    Accidentally turns into OG Ms Marvel instead.

That is what's referred to as a "plot". Add cool art to taste.

Its also an ongoing thing with the comic. Her parents expect her to be the good Muslim girl who will get a fancy job when she grows up. She think she's just a regular Jersey girl who likes nerd stuff and wants to save her neighbourhood. Its pretty much a Spider-man comic.
    Again it doesn’t exist in a vaccum it’s not the full story. But here are few things that might keep people reading, interest in the personally shown, interest in the terrogenmist and inhumans in general, interest in the ending with her coming out looking like mid mavel. Pretty much no issue has more then thoses basic things with just source of power/end cliff hanger of said power swaped out.
    Yes that's the plot, but what's the story then?
    A girl walks into a mist and gets powers.

That's literally it... and in the last few pages. When the "and then?" question comes up the story ends. I know it's got like 50 issues out now but when this came out practically nobody would be interested into this.

Speaking of which, hasn't the series recently been rebooted?
    Last edited by Jshadowhunter; 2019-03-13 at 08:55 PM.

I'm willing to accept just about anyone in a role so long as the end product is good.

I don't feel it was though. In respect to the other recent Marvel movies, I feel this one is towards the bottom. I felt like the 90s references and feminism was shoehorned in by secondrate writers, and no amount of acting could fix that.

Even if I fall into the demographic being pandered to, it feels more like an insult when they do it so poorly and obviously.

Other Marvel movies I had issues with recently were more because I didn't like how certain aspects of the character, or that I was just starting to get sick of the Marvel recipe in general (which also carried over to this movie), this is probably one of the most recent movies where the poor quality of the writing got on my nerves.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Talks shit about other people's knowledge on the Marvel universe, calls Thor's axe "Stormbraker".
    The fact that I worded it "got all super sayian" says nothing about my knowledge of Carol Danvers' binary form. You Swedes do like putting words in people's mouths.
    The fact that I thought it was OP and you didn't while you thought Thor axing Thanos in the chest was, is subjective. Arguing about subjective powerlevels in the Marvel universe is at best pointless, and at worst cringy and stupid.