Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Bod, one of the best raids ever?

Bfa might be bad but bod is one of the best raids I have played during the late expansions. Honestly, I don't remember when was the last time I liked a raid in WoW. The good thing about bod is that it feels real, It's no longer that split room nonsense. There are very few split room raids that were good in WoW like ulduar, icc, antorus or brf but that's because the concept or the fights were great.

Bod is definitely an improvement over Uldir who was really boring and didn't make any sense. It was the most monotonous raid ever. They could design a prison much better than this. The only interesting part of it was Ghuun mostly for the feels (very nice design).

For what it's worth, bod made me feel like I play for the story. I really wanted to see what happens.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2019-03-14 at 11:54 PM.

If the first 8 bosses weren't so easy the raid would have been considered a lot better.

15+ Year Old Account
    cant say im a fan of how buggy rastakhan has been since it launched

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Please tell me about those bugs I haven't seen once in clearing the raid since week 1.

Definitely feels better than Uldir.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Worst thing that happened to me on Rastakhan was the blazing detonation targetting the wrong tank once ever,but nothing else

As for the OP,I've been enjoying BoD a lot,I just wish it was a bit harder

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clixqt View Post
    Please tell me about those bugs I haven't seen once in clearing the raid since week 1.
    First week if you went to the spirit realm, pets would reset him without fail. Tuesday this week on mythic when bwomsambadil did the big succ, it lagged the whole raid for 5 seconds.

7+ Year Old Account
    The layout design of BoD is proberly some of the best, but the boss design is closer to terrible than good. Bosses like Rastakhan and Jadefire Masters feel bugged when you fight them, with their final phases being very easy and you don't really feel an excalation. Conclave is also very messy and lacks direction. Outside of Grong, Opulence and Jaina, the bosses don't really leave much of an impact. The first boss is especially boring.

So the layout and design of the entire instance is amazing, but the boss design fell of the truck. Its leads to it just being mediocre, not bad, but not good.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    The layout design of BoD is proberly some of the best, but the boss design is closer to terrible than good. Bosses like Rastakhan and Jadefire Masters feel bugged when you fight them, with their final phases being very easy and you don't really feel an excalation. Conclave is also very messy and lacks direction. Outside of Grong, Opulence and Jaina, the bosses don't really leave much of an impact. The first boss is especially boring.

So the layout and design of the entire instance is amazing, but the boss design fell of the truck. Its leads to it just being mediocre, not bad, but not good.
    Yeah well, that's like, your opinion man. Anything is better than that train wreck Uldir. Gelblin is a cool fight too. I still miss the days where raids felt dangerous and dark. instead of outside, bright, and colors everywhere.

0/10 for me.

I think Jaina is the only fight that visually impressed me. From a mechanics PoV i like Oppulence best...and that is just a poor-mans version of Animus (btw: ToT was actually a very good raid...)

My biggest gripe is with the overall impression, though.

First: Emotional.
    I feel absolutely NOTHING in this raid. There are no stakes, no heart-bumping, nothing. It just feels like a slow drag. The VO is bland, generic and forgetable. Most of the guys we fight are throw-away-nobodies made-up on the spot for this raid, only. Of the 3 "named" Bosses only one dies (Rastakhan) and i feel nothing about it. I think the cinemtaic where he made his bargain with Bwonsamdi or his fight with Zul were MUCH more impressive than this forced, slow-ass last appearance of him.

Compare this to ICC. Or entering Yogg-Saron's room in Ulduar. Or Lei-Shen's speech entering the spire of ToT. It's like WORLDS worse than those raids. Not even on the same scale.

Mekkadrill and Jaina don't die. So i feel absolutely nothing in these fights.

Second:
    The architecture would have been good if we did not have to look at it for a whole year before the raid even started.

Third:
    Then there is the forced faction swap. I'm sorry. But this is an RPG game...and if the devs tell me "Well, we made some cool new content for you, bt yu cannot play it with your own character, sorry!" - then that simply is not good enough. It is just not good enough. I would argue it's shit, but i will settle for "not good enough" not to upset too many people.

BFA has a GIANT problem with motivating repeatable end-game content for BOTH factions. So far Blizzard only motivated it for half of them....and in the majority of cases this faction was the Horde. As an Alliance player the endgame content so far has been INCREDIBLY underwhleming from a motivation/RPG PoV. Again, i would argue it is actually shit, but i will settle for underwhelming.

TL: DR:
    One of the worst raids in the history of the game for me.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2019-03-15 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    Third:
    Then there is the forced faction swap. I'm sorry. But this is an RPG game...and if the devs tell me "Well, we made some cool new content for you, bt yu cannot play it with your own character, sorry!" - then that simply is not good enough. It is just not good enough. I would argue it's shit, but i will settle for "not good enough" not to upset too many people.
    But it's still your character, just visually changed. They've done something similar before with the Caverns of Time instances.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of BoD. Too many bosses with phases that don't feel related/connected with their other phases. Might as well be separate bosses.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    But it's still your character, just visually changed. They've done something similar before with the Caverns of Time instances.
    No it's not. I am not a human and I didn't wear the Alliance pvp set. Plus please stop taking my racial ability off my bar even when we switch back. CAnt tell you how many times during a pull I forgot that my arcane torrent got taken off my bars on an earlier boss and mid pull I have to open my spellbook.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-03-15 at 12:32 AM.

BoD is very average, if not even below average for me.

Most mythic bosses are just heroic fights without any real changes. Like Champions are whatever anyways, monkey guy is basically the same, Jadefire is giving everyone a somewhat new mechanic, Opulence is the same, Conclave is basically the same, Rastakhan is exactly the same, Mekkatorque is the same, Blockade is actually different and then there's Jaina... reducing vision every once in a while. This must've been the most boring heroic-mythic port in years. The heroic fights themselves were quite fine, but that's not really my place to discuss.

Tuning was also a catastrophe. The circumstance that you could pretty much oneshot the first 6 bosses and then kill Mekka and Blockade within like 10 pulls is pathetic. Even worse with Jaina then being a overtuned bitch that requires 200+ wipes (guild on my server needed a grand total of 637 wipes and got world#24 with it). Progressing the place wasn't fun at all due to nothing before Jaina mattering in the slightest, meaning that many people have been progressing 1 boss for the last 2 months (contrary to Uldir where you had Fetid, Mythrax and Ghuun pose as tough encounters).

Worst thing about BoD is Jaina though - that fight is just horrible. Phase 1 is boring beyond imagination. It's just 3 minutes of nothing happening at all - they tried to counter this by making the entire phase RNG as fuck but that didn't make it engaging, just frustrating having to learn 10 different P1 patterns. I'm not a fan of these low vision mechanics, wasn't a fan on KilJaeden (at least you could eventually cheese it there), not a fan here either - especially not since they changed KJs no vision phase to be 100% predictable, yet Jaina will consistently cast insta-wipe Icefalls during periods of no vision. P2 again is just 3 minutes of boredom. Followed by a pretty whatever intermission and a 30 seconds Phase 3 that you just have to cheese the fuck out because it's stupidly impossibly tuned. Fight was a bland, boring mess that's got worsened by the stupid RNG elements and the horrendous tuning. Wiping 50 times to ToS Maiden after having killed her 10 times already or having to reprogress Sasszine every single week or having people fall off of KJs platform after 200 pulls felt a lot more enjoyable and a lot less frustrating than boring ass Jaina.

Looking forward to 8.2 when I'll never have to set foot into BoD ever again. It's not the worst raid ever, but I didn't enjoy it whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    Tuning was also a catastrophe. The circumstance that you could pretty much oneshot the first 6 bosses and then kill Mekka and Blockade within like 10 pulls is pathetic.
    Blockade had so many bugs the early killers skipped half the mechanics through "creative use of game mechanics", some of that was patched later, but the milk was already spilt, and they couldn't make the boss much harder as that would screw the guilds that didn't rush it and made it unfair for the early race (even past the first 2 guilds).

What I find the worst with tuning is you join an average heroic pug and it will probably disband at conclave, best case scenario at merkatorque. Then you have 1st mythic boss that is piss easy, even easier than taloc, so you have plenty of "mythic" raiders that did something like 1/9 mythic 5-6 heroic etc. Complete joke. Having early mythic bosses easier than late heroic bosses is a tuning disaster imo, but something that constantly happens, Uldir and Tomb of Sargeras were similar cases. There should be clear progression path - "we've finished heroic, now we're ready to step into mythic" and not "lolol mythic is so ez" because they put some loot pinata boss there, especially one that drops top ilvl weapon for 2h str and amazing healer trinket - these items should belong to loot tables of challenging bosses, not loot pinatas.

I do enjoy not having stupid "gatekeeper" bosses in the middle of mythic, like for example situation in HFC in WOD where you had Gorefiend being much harder than 2-3 bosses after him, the difficulty increase should be steadily up and not all over the place. I also enjoy the fact they didn't pile bazillion frustrating bosses one after another like in Tomb, where mistress, maiden, fallen avatar and ultimately KJ proved to be a guild killer, as half the raid bosses were annoying and frustrating in a raid tier that landed over the summer.

So yes, having early mythic bosses not gruesomely hard is a good idea, on the other hand it feels like the first boss is way too easy and several bosses like jadefire and blockade are way too "cheesable". Lack of quality testing and rush to release the patch shows again. Tbh same issue with Jaina, the "intended" way to do the boss is so bad nearly everyone uses Method's "cheese and rush" strat instead. Who the heck tests these encounters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Yeah well, that's like, your opinion man. Anything is better than that train wreck Uldir. Gelblin is a cool fight too. I still miss the days where raids felt dangerous and dark. instead of outside, bright, and colors everywhere.
    Everything is opinions man. You stating it make you seem clueless.

I like Gelbin too, interesting fight, but the build up is not really there. Like there is 2 cool mechanics, the bots and World Enlarger, but the fight in itself is not that well made. His final phase is not really changing much, you just sit and wait in his intermession phase and there is really little need for a tank swap ability, since either of the tanks have very little to do aside from just taunting.

So yeah, it can be fun, but is it a great fight? Not really.

And putting it up against Uldir and saying its better, does not really say alot.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

It's a great raid on Heroic, one of the best in years IMO. There's lots of fun fights and clever mechanics, I especially like Opulence, Mekka and Jaina.

Mythic is kind of another story. First the tuning is completely off, Champion being so stupid easy for starters is quite silly, I see plenty of players with 5-6 Heroic kills but they managed to kill her which feels wrong to me, even in Uldir or Nighthold you didn't see that. The early bosses up to Mekka are just too easy, Mekka himself is fine but feels like a mid-raid boss rather than a second to last one. Haven't gotten to Jaina yet.

Second, and most damming for Mythic if you ask me, is that there's almost no new mechanics at all. Champion adds a summon that she'll use maybe once before you nuke her and that we ignore. Grong is the exact same fight. Masters adds one mechanic that most people learn in 2-3 wipes and the maze is cheese city, population DHs. Opulence only has details added. Conclave is the same apart from a debuff that healers just click off, Rastakhan is the same, and Mekka only marginally changes. Blockade is the first boss that adds more, but even then it just recycles mechanics between its phases anyway, and Jaina also adds very little. I'm not asking for a secret phase every other fight, but even just looking at Antorus most bosses have 2-3 new mechanics per fight, sometimes very important ones like on Eonar, Varimathras or Argus. What happened?

Feels like a middle of the pack raid to me. Maybe even bottom tier. The only fight that I thought was kinda cool was Opulence.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post

BFA has a GIANT problem with motivating repeatable end-game content for BOTH factions. So far Blizzard only motivated it for half of them....and in the majority of cases this faction was the Horde. As an Alliance player the endgame content so far has been INCREDIBLY underwhleming from a motivation/RPG PoV. Again, i would argue it is actually shit, but i will settle for underwhelming.
    Most of what you said is nonsense, but this is pretty spot on. In an expansion about faction war, where they say they want to bring that faction pride feeling, they force you to beat on your own leaders as the other faction. How fucking stupid. And it is worse as Alliance because the end of your raid is watching your heroes lose. Why the hell did anyone think that would be an exciting climax? I made a character in one faction because I want to play that character in that faction. Completely ruined it.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

They really need to work on adding more unique voice lines to the bosses, if nothing else the final bosses. Hearing Jaina tell us 30x every 10 seconds “I hope you like the cold” just gets old and breaks any chance of immersion. Ain’t no real badass enemy gonna sit there and say the same shit over and over and over. Not to mention “this ends here!” Is said in like 15 different locations, quit moving the goalposts.