Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Would it be illegal to send insulin from overseas...?

But why did the price of insulin go up so much?

Did some company stop producing it? So that there's now a shortage? If so, why did they stop producing it?

In a capitalist system, competition keeps the prices low. What happened to the competition?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

im in the union. I have top notch insurance. payed no more than 100 dollars last year. have wife and two kids. I suggest instead of bitching about insurance costs, get a job where your employer actually gives a fuck about you and gives you the best insurance money can buy, cause you know you make him millions a year. the system will always be broken. find that "loophole" that gives you the best for nothing.

It's beyond me, as a EU person, how the US can actually still have people being against government provided general healthcare.
    The prime argument of 'open market competition/the best doctors and researchers will come to the US and work their hardest there because there's money to make' holds little value when you have people dying due to a 20 bucks drug being sold for 250 bucks. Your government watches people dying because there's money to be made from that... and then you even have people approving of this, most likely because it hasn't personally bothered them yet. It's baffling how you guys are not going to the streets about your government not giving a shit about a handful of companies ruling your country - but I suppose that's the great freedom everyone over there chooses and loves.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Did some company stop producing it? So that there's now a shortage? If so, why did they stop producing it?

In a capitalist system, competition keeps the prices low. What happened to the competition?
    It went up because the companies that made it got together and agreed to raise it. And starting up a new pharmaceutical company is VERY expensive and difficult to do, especially if you want to keep it under your own personal control so that the big companies can't just buy it and take it over.

It's very easy to say "I want to make a company that sells generic drugs to the masses for cheaper than the big pharma companies" and a lot harder to pull it off when the price tag of a production line capable of producing that much of a drug and a distribution network capable of getting it to consumers gets factored in. The companies that already have the production lines and distribution networks in place have an insane competitive advantage against you that they absolutely will use to bully you into playing by their rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Because they have given them full control of specific drugs and the whole market for that drug....say for about 25 years. Even though they made no real changes.
    Gives them full price control since they have no competition.

Then the industry has a "agreed non compete clause" between themselves. Kind of a gentleman's agreement not to really go in against each other.

the whole industry is a controlled monopoly, fuck the capitalist system it does not exist in drugs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    im in the union. I have top notch insurance. payed no more than 100 dollars last year. have wife and two kids. I suggest instead of bitching about insurance costs, get a job where your employer actually gives a fuck about you and gives you the best insurance money can buy, cause you know you make him millions a year. the system will always be broken. find that "loophole" that gives you the best for nothing.

Let me guess, state/federal job?

Even though YOU are only paying 100 dollars a month the company YOU work for is paying thousands. Eventually this will hit their bottom line and you will suffer. One can argue you have already suffered since without this huge inflation you could have seen even larger raises and lower insurance rates then 100 dollars.

so there is 198 million union jobs out there with top notch insurance for all the other workers to "get"?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    It went up because the companies that made it got together and agreed to raise it. And starting up a new pharmaceutical company is VERY expensive and difficult to do, especially if you want to keep it under your own personal control so that the big companies can't just buy it and take it over.

It's very easy to say "I want to make a company that sells generic drugs to the masses for cheaper than the big pharma companies" and a lot harder to pull it off when the price tag of a production line capable of producing that much of a drug and a distribution network capable of getting it to consumers gets factored in. The companies that already have the production lines and distribution networks in place have an insane competitive advantage against you that they absolutely will use to bully you into playing by their rules.
    its actually real easy to jump into the generic world, but then the pharma industry undercuts "cost" on those drugs till the small company chokes and has to bail on their low prices.

like I said its a monopoly that needs to be regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Because they have given them full control of specific drugs and the whole market for that drug....say for about 25 years. Even though they made no real changes.
    Gives them full price control since they have no competition.

Then the industry has a "agreed non compete clause" between themselves. Kind of a gentleman's agreement not to really go in against each other.

the whole industry is a controlled monopoly, fuck the capitalist system it does not exist in drugs

- - - Updated - - -

its actually real easy to jump into the generic world, but then the pharma industry undercuts "cost" on those drugs till the small company chokes and has to bail on their low prices.

like I said its a monopoly that needs to be regulated.
    Monopolies still are governed by supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Monopolies still are governed by supply and demand.
    of which they have total control over supply, and can manipulate implied demand.....

they are not "governed" by it they control it.....

10+ Year Old Account
    When are people going to stop making these stupid, pointless articles and realize -EVERYTHING- in the US is overpriced because we're run by greedy corporations? Rent, Schooling, Medical, everything is illogically expensive for absolutely no real reason. What HASN'T gone up is how much we get paid to go along with it. So we get paid less and less compared to the more and more that prices for everything keep going up.

Yep, Capitalism works folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Than you Jebus I live in Finland. Don't have to deal with shit like not being able to afford my medicine.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've never understood the whole "let people die if they won't pay our prices" for medical care. The treatment I get (Infliximab) for Crohn's Disease every 8 weeks is expensive as fuck. Due to the treatment cost changing depending on patient weight, it costs £2300 per infusion for me at my weight of 80Kg, just for a 30 min infusion. If I had to pay for it myself, I would have died years ago.

I simply cannot understand people who put profit before life. No one should have to die so someone else can make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Vote for medicare for all, see how fast it changes.
    Well first they should fix Medicare since it doesn't cover prescription drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    I've never understood the whole "let people die if they won't pay our prices" for medical care. The treatment I get (Infliximab) for Crohn's Disease every 8 weeks is expensive as fuck. Due to the treatment cost changing depending on patient weight, it costs £2300 per infusion for me at my weight of 80Kg, just for a 30 min infusion. If I had to pay for it myself, I would have died years ago.

I simply cannot understand people who put profit before life. No one should have to die so someone else can make money.
    Even in countries with universal healthcare there is a limit to how much they're willing to spend on you because the money available to use is limited.

There is simply nobody who can regulate it cause the US government has a hands off policy when it comes to health care and believes the market will always correct itself.

Iam British but lives in the US so i have had experience with both systems.

You see with the NHS or National Health Service the Government controls it which means if drug companies want to do business in the UK they have to negotiate with the Government and if they cant come to a deal then they simply cant do business in the UK and that means them losing out millions possibly billions cause without a NHS contract they cant do business in the UK. (Sure they could go private but very few people actualy have private insurance in the UK) This leads to the UK having a strong negotiating tactic when it comes to drug prices.

Until the US government takes a stronger position then the Pharma companies can do whatever the fuck they want and charge whatever the fuck they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Dude. 1300% price increase has zero to do with health insurance being expensive. Did you even check the table in the story? Shows perfectly well how much it costs elsewhere. This has nothing to do with "increased costs", but the need for always bigger profits. Turning healthcare into business has led to this.
    It's the entire system, High Pharmaceutical Prices also effect Insurance Companies which is passed onto to the consumer at the end.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by EliWallach View Post
    Well first they should fix Medicare since it doesn't cover prescription drugs.
    Umm what?

It sure does.

Its shitty, it has holes in it, it does not allow for negotiations of prices, it cost more money depending on what plan you sign up for.....etc etc

Just in case you don't believe me here is the info right from the source:

https://www.medicare.gov/drug-covera...-drug-coverage
    https://www.medicare.gov/drug-coverage-part-d

Medicare prescription drug coverage is an optional benefit. Medicare offers prescription drug coverage to everyone with Medicare. If you decide not to get Medicare drug coverage when you're first eligible, you'll likely pay a late enrollment penalty if you join later, unless one of these applies:

2 ways to get drug coverage

Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D). These plans (sometimes called "PDPs") add drug coverage to Original Medicare, some Medicare Cost Plans, some Medicare Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS) Plans, and Medicare Medical Savings Account (MSA) Plans.

Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) (like an HMO or PPO) or other Medicare health plan that offers Medicare prescription drug coverage. You get all of your Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) coverage, and prescription drug coverage (Part D), through these plans. Medicare Advantage Plans with prescription drug coverage are sometimes called “MA-PDs.” You must have Part A and Part B to join a Medicare Advantage Plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    We actually get charged that much in some hospitals in the US even though you can walk into a pharmacy and get more for $8.
    We kind of have something similar in the UK. A prescription is £8.20 or so, but some items prescribed can be bought over the counter for £3-4 sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

It's really easy to explain. The logic is: It's not my life on the line, so fuck em. Profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Even in countries with universal healthcare there is a limit to how much they're willing to spend on you because the money available to use is limited.
    Must say, I've never come across this yet, and my medical history contains very expensive treatments. Always got everything I needed via NHS. For example, this is my medical history, sans identifying info: https://puu.sh/D0LuQ/feb9b2521d.png

NHS has covered everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    It's really easy to explain. The logic is: It's not my life on the line, so fuck em. Profit.
    I feel this is why the human races progress is stagnant. Profit before anything is is just wrong. Whilst I won't see it in my lifetime, I do hope for a time when money no longer matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    when you have certificates to pay for, overinflated pay for top managers and long production chain you get this. The whole system is sick and needs fixing
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.