Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Activision-Blizzard needs a new IP to survive

Sorry folks, BFA isn't cutting it.

Activision-Blizzard is trying to get our hard earned money, yet they only have some success. I occasionally play on a friends account, but there is nothing really compelling me to subscribe. It all feels too mainstream. I'm supposed to see the graphical wonders and experience rapid leveling... they say "Ohhh" "Ahhh" ... except I can see all this in other games without a monthly subscription. I officially unsubbed years ago, so thats out of the way.

I feel that the currently renditioned WoW is simply not for me.

There is Classic, which is great and all. A nice throwback to how WoW used to be, before corporate greed & been counters set in. I'll surely give that game a hearty chance.

But the WoW genre is dying overall. This isn't the usual "WoW is dying" statement", though.

It's a combination of Activision-Blizzard's distrust among consumers at Blizzcon, to really, their shoddy practices with regard to fan retention, thanks to BFA. Keywords - boredom, lackluster, bad.

I believe that Activision-Blizzard needs to use another IP to survive. In a poll (https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-you-want-next) users seem to indicate WC4, WoSC, WoDiablo, and WoW 2 as candidates. Opinions are mixed, yet these are the top choices:

WC4 = Warcraft 4 RTS
    WoSC = World of StarCraft
    WoW 2 = World of Warcraft 2 (patch 1.x)
    WoDiablo = World of Diablo

Activision-Blizzard is in a world of hurt 2019, with regard to WoW. Possibly 2020 also and beyond.

Classic will bring "new-old" people in 2019. Thats good.

However, Activision-Blizzard needs NEW people. Not the same people, simply paying more on average month after month, to receive the same service the used to get years ago for cheaper.

I think Activision-Blizzard really needs something new in their pocket. They have IP's just wasting away.

They need to put them to use. ... or just continue to widdle away..
    Last edited by Vineri; 2019-03-16 at 04:53 AM.

Just wait till they'll release their very own Battle Royale game in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    None of those are new IPs.
    It doesn't change the jist of the Op-Ed though. Thanks for noticing

Blizzard needs to use another IP to survive.

So many good games to play, so little time :/
    Last edited by Vineri; 2019-03-16 at 05:03 AM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A new IP alone won't cut it.

I think we all said "this is it, this is the new age of Blizzard" when they rolled out Overwatch and look how that turned out.

They can lean on Diablo for all I care, what they need is a game that's fun first, esports last.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

5+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry OP, I'm sure those awesome mobile games will pay the bills for years to come, so us PC gamers can keep enjoying high quality products such as BfA
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2019-03-16 at 05:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

They really don't. CoD and their mobile games are enough for the company to survive.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I demand a Lost Vikings MMO, dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    Just wait till they'll release their very own Battle Royale game in 2023.
    Blackout came out in 2018.

And yea this post is laughable, their stock was way over inflated after years of false promises of "making ALL the money" to investors and it finally caught up to them hence the massive stock drop. They on the other hand are still a massively profitable company that literally just posted record profits for the year. OP made this post without putting much thought into this one, sure is a doozy.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-03-16 at 06:49 AM.

Blizzard needs a new philosophy not a new IP.
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

No they dont.

They'll probably make bucket loads of money off diablo immoral in China.

They just need products. That doesnt mean a new IP. And they have new products in the works/nearly releasing. Its just not what WoW fans want

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It doesn’t seem like there’s any basis for them needing a new ip when they just appenrly had a record year.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    A new IP alone won't cut it.

I think we all said "this is it, this is the new age of Blizzard" when they rolled out Overwatch and look how that turned out.
    I'm really confused, what's wrong with Overwatch? It was fun for a bit, but that game *still* makes them tons of money - I mean hell, it had generated $1 billion in revenue for Activision Blizzard by 2017 - I still know people that regularly drop $50 for loot boxes and whatnot in that game.

Like it or not, Overwatch did quite well.

Takes more than that to bring down the whale. This thread is rather silly.

Activison-Blizzard is making record profits hand over fist.

They don't need to do anything until people stop buying their games and believe it or not but a lot of people are happy with the state of those games..

The internet forums are a small loud minority.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    WC4 = Warcraft 4 RTS
    WoSC = World of StarCraft
    WoW 2 = World of Warcraft 2 (patch 1.x)
    WoDiablo = World of Diablo

Activision-Blizzard is in a world of hurt 2019, with regard to WoW. Possibly 2020 also and beyond.
    Considering that both MMOs and RTS are failing genres in todays market that seems like a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Activison-Blizzard is making record profits hand over fist.

They don't need to do anything until people stop buying their games and believe it or not but a lot of people are happy with the state of those games..

The internet forums are a small loud minority.
    Not disagreeing with what you're saying at heart, but I feel it's important to make note: they made record *revenue*, not profits. There's a pretty big difference

Quote Originally Posted by Armakus View Post
    Not disagreeing with what you're saying at heart, but I feel it's important to make note: they made record *revenue*, not profits. There's a pretty big difference
    As posted
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...llion-revenues
    Activision Inc has posted its financial results for the three months ending December 31, 2007 with a record net revenue figure of USD 1.48 billion, up 80 per cent on the equivalent period the previous year.
    Aka Profits.

So my original post was correct.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

you mean Filth-Blizzard, nah buddy they won't survive, unless they grow a pair of balls and get rid of filth

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlhero View Post
    Blizzard needs a new philosophy not a new IP.
    i can get behind this. "you think you do, but you dont" line of thinking can go fuck itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    As posted
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...llion-revenues

Aka Profits.

So my original post was correct.
    What? Your link from 2007 doesn't really change any facts here...